When Dreams Come True

Від dreamerek

Can Yaman is an internationally known actor and model. His shows have had great success but he hasn't been ab... Більше

Author's Note
Sanem Aydin
Can Yaman
Yachts and Meetings
Destiny and Offers
Fountains and Wishes
Choreography and Tours
My Name is Sanem
Past History and Future Plans
Movies and Taste Testings
Bandanas, Fans and Albatross
Fame and Falling in Love
Hot Air Balloon Rides and Paparazzi
Pajamas and Decisions
Author's Note
Introductions and Impressions
Future Promises and Announcements
Opportunities and Sacrifices
Devastation and Endings
Author's Note
Tears and Revelations
Dreams and Rainy Saturday Afternoons
Reunions in the Rain
Love Reborn and Pottery Throwing
Paris in the Rain
Happy Ending or New Beginnings
Ready for Book 3?
Author's Note
Author's Note
Author's Note

Wine and Doubts

812 96 45
Від dreamerek

Can decided to put an end to whatever this was that Ezgi was doing so he texted her back:

Can:

Ezgi. Your text is really unexpected but there's nothing to talk about. I do wish you well.

Suddenly Can's phone rang and he hung his head as he read the caller ID.

Blowing out air through his mouth, he tried to decide what to do. He figured he might as well get it over with.

Can: Hello, Ezgi. 

Ezgi: Can! It's so so good to hear your voice. How are you?

Can: I'm doing great Ezgi. I, um, I'm trying to understand the purpose for the call and text, honestly.

Ezgi: Can, don't be like that. I know we didn't end things amicably but I think about you all the time. I meant it when I said that I missed you. I miss..well, us..I was wondering if I could come and visit? Like old times.

Can: Ezgi, I, I'm not sure what's going on but let me be as clear as possible. I don't want to accuse you of anything but I know that my interview came out recently and it might have peaked your interest in some way. Accept my apology if that's not the case but either way, there would be no reason for a visit and there's definitely no "old times" as far as you and I are concerned. I'm in a committed relationship so there really isn't any point.

Ezgi was stunned to have Can speak so bluntly to her. She knew that she probably deserved it after the way that she treated him but he had never spoken to her like that before. Of course, she had seen the interview. Who hadn't?? And yes, she was jealous about his public announcement of his feelings for this dancer and couldn't see what Can was doing with someone so beneath him.

Ezgi: Can, I don't know what I've done to deserve the way you're speaking to me right now. I just thought we could get together for drinks and dinner while I'm in Istanbul. Can't two friends do that? Or would your girlfriend be jealous? she said sarcastically.

Can: Ezgi, there is absolutely nothing that Sanem would need to be jealous of in you or any other woman. So I was right about you having seen the interview. You do know me fairly well so you know the kind of man that I am. I would never hurt Sanem in any way even if what you're proposing is innocent. I'd never give her a reason to doubt my devotion to her. So, again, I wish you well but I'll have to respectfully decline your invitation. Take care, Ezgi.

Pulling the phone away from her ear, she couldn't believe that she was listening to the dial tone, Can having ended the call. Devotion? Is he serious? To a dancer? She knew that she messed up when she let Can go and really thought that if they could see each other again, those old feelings would come back. 

It had been 6 months but she really did miss him. And there was no way she thought a dancer could compete with her but listening to him talk about this Sanem, she realized his feelings were true. She did know him well and the way he talked about her in the interview and now to her tonight, there was no chance. She would have to accept defeat. Can Yaman was in love. 

And it wasn't with her.

____________________

The dance group's performance was spectacular. They received 3 standing ovation and encores, especially when Baris brought Sanem out by the hand for a solo encore. The theatre erupted in applause. Can was incredibly proud of her and was over the moon that he could finally attend. He would wait until she changed and come out to the reception area to give her the beautiful bouquet of wildflowers he had brought for her.

Hugging each of her dance mates, Sanem was thrilled with how well they had been received. Marco was talking a mile a minute and couldn't stop hugging her. She kept a watchful eye out for Can in case he decided to come back there so he didn't get jealous. Marco was just a friend but he seemed to put Can on edge.

Walking to her dressing room, Sanem fixed her makeup and went to change so she could meet Can. There was a knock on the door and she turned to walk towards it, expecting it to be Can. She knew he couldn't wait like he said he would, she thought, smiling at his impatience.

Can? I knew you couldn't wait..she said, chuckling but stopped mid-sentence when she saw who was at the door when she opened it.

Sanem remembered Ezgi from the magazine covers and a few IG posts that was made of her and Can. Whoa. The photos didn't do her justice. Tall, thin, simply gorgeous. Perfect hair, perfect makeup, perfect clothes and the longest legs she had ever seen. She looked like she had just walked off the runway in Milan. 

She was speechless. And apparently Sanem's reaction to the visitor was exactly what Ezgi had hoped for.

She knew she had no chance with Can but that didn't mean she couldn't intimidate Sanem. Maybe sew a few seeds of doubt.

Hello, can I help you? Sanem asked, trying to smile.

Oh, you must be Sanem. I asked backstage and they told me where to find you. My name is Ezgi Erdem. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your, err, dancing, she said with her nose held high and a smirk on her lips.

Oh, well, thank you so much. I'm so glad that you did, Sanem said, feeling awkward standing there in her robe, but looking this goddess in the eyes as confidently as she could.

I did. It was..um..different. I'm an old friend of Can's, well to be honest, an old girlfriend of Can's and I came hoping to say hello to him and meet you. When I spoke to him late last night, I told him that I'd love to have dinner together and catch up, Ezgi said with a glint in her eye.

Sanem's eyes went wide and her eyebrows lifted as her heart sped up. Can hadn't mentioned any of this to her. Confusion set in, as well as brewing anger. Because of rehearsals, they hadn't spoken all day so she was sure that was the reason why.

Suddenly, Sanem saw Can walk up, looking directly into her eyes. He hoped his eyes were speaking to her what was still yet unsaid.

And..as I told you last night, Ezgi, there was no possibility of us having dinner together now or ever since all of my time is spent in the company of the beautiful woman I'm in love with, Can said firmly, smiling as he looked at Sanem.

She blushed and smiled broadly as she returned the amorous look.

Brushing past Ezgi, Can pulled Sanem into a hug and said, Bebek, you were amazing tonight. You had the whole audience enraptured.

Placing both his hands on either side of her face, he pulled her into a passionate kiss that took Sanem by surprise and had Ezgi seething.

Turning again to face Ezgi, he said, Excuse us, Ezgi. But I haven't seen her all day. I hope you have a safe trip home. Good bye. 

He slowly closed the door as she walked away, incredulous at what had just happened. Can thought for sure he had seen smoke coming from her ears. Served her right. She had come to try to intimidate Sanem but it didn't work.

Ezgi's 4 inch heels could be heard quickly walking away. She had never been so humiliated. Her plan to intimidate the dancer had blown up in her face. Pulling out her phone, she called for the driver she had hired to pick her up and bring her to the airport. She had seen enough. It was over.

Sanem, I'm so sorry about that. I have no words for this woman. She is unbelievable. And I didn't get to tell you about the phone call yet because I didn't want it to affect your rehearsals. I was going to explain it all to you tonight after the performance, Can said quickly.

I understand, Can. But thank you for telling me. She definitely came here to make trouble, she said thinking about how Ezgi had treated her.

She can't do anything, bebek. Not one thing that would affect you and I. She's a shallow and jealous woman. Thank you for understanding and believing me, he said as he pulled her into his arms again.

Pulling away, she shooed him out again so she could get dressed. They had a movie date at his house after the show that she was anxious to get to.

They stayed for a short time at the reception but headed out so they could spend some time alone together. But the paparazzi had other plans.

Sanem! Can! Look over here! Come one, give us a kiss, guys! Sanem, is it true that Can's ex girlfriend, Ezgi Erdem, was here tonight? How do you feel about that?

Sanem and Can tried to pose for a few photos but they both were disgusted by the taunting that was going on. They knew the photographers wanted to get a rise out of them and they tried hard to not take the bait. They forced a smile and tried to be accommodating but when one of them screamed something inappropriate, Can almost lost it.

Hey Sanem! How do you intend to compete with a woman as beautiful as Ezgi? Are you worried about losing Can to her?

That's it, she heard Can mutter as he stalked towards the offending person.

Can! she whispered loudly. Don't do it, askim. That's exactly what he wants you to do. Please!

Stopping and turning back to her, he grabbed her while Tahir got them safely to the waiting car.

As they got in, Sanem could hear Can's breath coming out of him like a raging bull. Putting her hands in his, she kissed his cheek and spoke softly to him.

Halfway to his house, he finally calmed down and looked at her. Thank you, Sanem. For not letting me get pulled into that trap. But I wanted to punch that guy in the mouth for what he said to you, Can said, trying not to get upset all over again.

Sanem is right, Can. That's exactly what that jerk wanted, Tahir said from the driver's seat.

Pulling up to his house, they thanked Tahir for bringing them home and said their goodbyes. Can walked her inside and went to make them some tea.

Sitting on his sofa, eating popcorn, kissing intermittently, Sanem smiled weakly. Tonight's incident will probably be repeated but hopefully not too many of them would be as bold as the one tonight. She didn't know how they slept at night knowing the hurt and pain they caused.

Trying to shake the bad memory away, she turned to Can and asked, So what did you think of the movie?

Taking a piece of popcorn from her fingers, he answered, I thought it was an action movie from the title. I think you tricked me! I mean Kotu Kral seemed like it would be about fighting medieval knights or something. But Bad King was about a couple that faced a horrible break up? Man, I wasn't expecting that at all. 

Laughing at his response, Sanem said, I had an idea what it was about but I have to agree. I hated the ending. I mean everything that they went through and still broke up so painfully. Ugh, I was ready to ugly cry.

You couldn't possibly do anything that was ugly, bebek, Can said, smiling at how she was tearing up just thinking about the ending.

We will never be like them, will we askim? she asked, looking into his eyes.

That will never happen to us, Sanem. Never, he answered, kissing her sweet lips.

Can had left his car at home so he could drive her home after their date.

Sanem watched Can carefully as he drove, thinking about all that had happened that night. She had been so excited about the performance and the success of the group but it seemed to be overshadowed by Ezgi's visit and the awful things that was screamed at her.

Can kept looking back at her, hoping to dispel her thoughts that he knew were growing in intensity. He only had to look at her eyes to know that she was hurting. Those beautiful soulful eyes were a window into her pure heart. He tried so hard to not show her how upset he was at the events of the night but she always saw through his facade. 

Truthfully, he was angry. He was angry at how Ezgi treated her as well as that idiot outside the venue. Just because he held a camera in his hand didn't give him the right to just say whatever he wanted to get a reaction and a good photo. How cruel did you have to be to want to hurt a person like Sanem. 

She was guileless and kind hearted. Even as upset as she was in the moment, it didn't surprise him that later on she made excuses for the poor behavior, blaming it on the society we lived in that thrived on drama. She was probably right but it didn't mean he had to accept it.

There was always this underlying fear that Sanem would come to the conclusion that he wasn't worth all of this nonsense. Why would someone like her want to subject themselves to this kind of pain willingly?

Grabbing her hand hurriedly, he tried to push those feelings aside. He couldn't bear them. 

Bebek, I just wanted to say again how sorry I am for your night being ruined. I would do anything to erase what happened, he said as he brought her knuckles up to his waiting lips.

It's not your fault, Can. None of it was. Neither of us deserved that tonight. Let's forget about it, ok? she asked.

Okay. It's forgotten. I'll call you tomorrow after you get finished at the studio. I have a few meetings for the charity but we can plan something for the evening, he said as he walked her to her door.

Good night, Can. I love you, she said, hugging him.

I love you too. So very much. Thank you for loving me, he said sadly.

Not knowing what to say, she kissed him and watched him walk back to his car. As she put her key in the door she heard Derren's door open.

Hey! How was your evening? Derren asked, keeping her voice down since it was late.

Looking at her feet, Sanem tried to hide the tears that were forming. She was successful in keeping them from Can all evening but it was all starting to catch up with her.

Sanem, are you alright? Derren said as she walked over to her. No, you're not, canim. Come on, come outside in the courtyard so we can talk. You look like you need some fresh air.

Ok, now. Tell me everything, she said, really worried about her friend.

Sanem told her what had happened that evening, in between sobs. 

It was awful, Derren. I mean first Ezgi with her impossibly long legs and perfect face and body. And her dress. It was so tiny. Ugh. She made me feel like I was a stripper working a pole the way she spoke about my performance. She actually said, "it was, um, different", Sanem said, mimicking Ezgi's high pitched voice.

Gasping, Derren said, Ufff, canim. I want to slap her perfect face right now.

Laughing, Sanem couldn't believe her quiet and reserved friend said that but she agreed. She wished she had done just that.

You know what we need? Wine. Like right now. Don't move. I'll be right back. We're going to have a girl's night, Derren said excitedly as she ran up the stairs to her apartment.

Hurrying back down a few minutes later with 2 bottles of wine and two glasses in her hands, she plopped down next to Sanem.

Here, let's forget about stupid Ezgi and mean paparazzi for a little while, she said as she handed Sanem a glass.

Sighing, she took it knowing she would probably regret it in the morning.

As the bottles emptied, they laughed, talked, sang and had a cackling fit when a neighbor opened their window and shouted for them to go to bed so he could get some sleep. Sanem spit out her wine as she laughed hysterically at him.

___________________

Can woke up the next morning to a text from Roberto. This didn't sound good, he thought. When he hit the link that Roberto sent him, his eyes went wide.

Apparently all through the night, his fans were having conversations about Sanem and Ezgi, comparing them and it had gotten really ugly. Wiping his face a few times with his hands, he couldn't believe that people would say such things about someone they didn't even know. He loved and adored his fans and people in general but these keyboard warriors seemed to forget that celebrities were real people with real feelings.

He was able to overlook the sometimes cruel things that were said about him but seeing these awful things being said about Sanem was more than painful. 

He called Roberto immediately to ask for his opinion. Picking up on the 2nd ring, Roberto feared what they would be facing this morning.

Can, I don't know what to say. Ezgi showing up at the performance last night set off this madness. Her fans took up for her saying that you should give her another chance while fans of yours and Sanem's countered. It's really unbelievable. I mean do they not have anything better to do with their time? Roberto said frustrated for both Can and Sanem.

It's unfathomable, abi. I don't care what they write about me. I've heard it all. Can Yaman, the lawyer who can't act; he's just another pretty face with no acting skills; if he cared about children so much why doesn't he stop posting half naked pictures of himself etc., Can said.

But to have them say these awful things about Sanem and her career...it's too much. Should I answer them? Try to put a stop to it? he asked.

No! No, no, no, Can. Like the paparazzi, you will just pour fuel to the fire. If they see that they can get a reaction from you, they'll just keep doing it, Roberto warned.

I can't just sit here and let them say these things about her, though. I can't. She deserves better than this. She deserves better than me, he said, almost whispering the last sentence. 

The words came out before he had time to process what he was saying. The realization hit him. He knew she was better than him in so many ways. He didn't deserve her but he loved her more than he loved himself. Would she be better off without him? Without having to endure these cruel words from strangers? None of this would be happening if he wasn't in her life. He knew that. It was because he was in her life that these so called fans thought they had the right to an opinion.

Can, still with me? Roberto asked. He didn't like what Can was saying.

Yeah. Still here. I need to go clear my head, abi. Thanks for the heads up. Talk to you soon, Can said as he ended the call.

Roberto had mixed feelings about the conversation; about this relationship in general. On one hand, he was immensely happy to see his best friend happier than he had ever known him to be before. Can was a gentle soul that deserved this kind of happiness. This kind of love that only came around once in a lifetime. But on the other hand, it was affecting his career and he worried that Can would later regret some of these hasty decisions because of his strong feelings for Sanem.

And he really loved Sanem. Who wouldn't? She was an amazing woman with a compassionate heart that matched Can's in every way. When he read those vile things that were said about her this morning, his stomach turned. They way she was portrayed as a simpleton from the mahalle wanting Can only for his status or making her dance career seem seedy and dirty was enough for him to want to answer them back. He completely understood Can's visceral reaction to it. 

But to hear Can say that Sanem deserves better than him was shocking. He'd never heard his friend speak that way about himself before. Can was a confident man in so many areas of his life but he was humble too. That statement sounded like Can might be thinking of pulling away from this great love to save her from this pain. And if that was the case, he needed to be prepared for the aftermath that was inevitable. 

Can pushed his breakfast around the plate, having lost his appetite after the conversation with Roberto. Picking up his phone, he knew what he needed.

Good morning, Can, Sanem croaked.

Bebek?? What's wrong? Are you alright? Can said worriedly. Did she read the posts already??

Oh, please don't yell, canim. My head is splitting in two right now, she answered. Taking a slow breath, she told him about her and Derren's impromptu girl's night.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Can said, Ok, I'm on my way over with a hangover cure.

Before she could protest, Sanem heard the line go dead. Oh no. Now she'd have to get up and get dressed before he came over. Inching her way off the bed, she felt like her head weighed a ton. Slowing walking to the bathroom, she swore she'd never drink again. She managed to get dressed and wash up, making it to the door when she heard Can knocking lightly.

Can chuckled when he saw her state and held up the bag of magic that would help her feel human again. Coconut water, aspirin and a greasy bacon sandwich that he picked up on the way.

She surprisingly was able to eat most of it and the coconut water did wonders for her dehydrated condition. 

Thank you, Can. You're amazing for coming over and taking care of me, she said as she leaned her head into his lap for him to lightly rub her temples.

I'm more than happy to do this for you, bebek, he said smiling. He didn't know how to broach the subject of the posts and wondered if it was the right time. But he didn't want her to be blindsided either. 

Just then, her phone pinged with an incoming text. Leaning over they both saw it was from Mia and then another one right afterwards from Frankie. Closing his eyes, he knew he was too late.

Hmm, I don't know what's going on but they both want me to call them immediately, Sanem said as she slowly tried to come up to a seated position.

Taking her hand and putting the phone back on the coffee table, Can turned her towards him.

Can? What's going on? she said with a quizzical look.

Looking down to avoid her gaze, he inhaled and exhaled deeply.

Sanem, um, apparently fans of mine and some of yours as well as Ezgi's saw that she was at your performance last night. They realized that all three of us were in the same place and it seemed to spark debates that turned ugly, he said quickly.

Turning his chin so he would face her again, she asked, Debates? That turned ugly? How?

Looking her in the eyes and taking her hands, he continued.

Ezgi's fans were, ah, well comparing you two and saying that she and I should get back together because we, I don't know, match better? I mean, it's just stupid people saying stupid things, he said with a pained look on his face.

Inhaling sharply, Sanem asked, So the debate was whether you should be with her instead of me, then?

Yes, something like that. Things apparently got heated and ugly things were said back and forth and it all went viral. The press picked it up and now it's become a whole thing online. Sanem, I'm so sorry. So so sorry for this. I wanted to answer them back and put a stop to it but Roberto said it would only make things worse. All I want to do is protect you from these horrible people but I can't, he said with tears threatening to fall.

Can, Can, this is not your fault and you can't protect me from what people say. That's the hard part about social media. Anyone can say anything and get away with it. They're lonely frustrated people who want attention, she offered, trying to calm the hurt that was so evident in his eyes.

I need to see what they're saying about me. I need to know how to explain all of this to my parents, she said softly as she picked up her phone once again.

Oh no..your parents! I hadn't thought of them. Sanem they're going to hate me! he said as he got up and started pacing.

They won't hate you, canim. They know you're not responsible for what others say, she said as she scrolled through her IG feed. 

There were hundreds of comments that she was tagged in. Reading some of them made her physically wince.

Oh wow. I, I can't believe someone would say that about my background, about my neighborhood, she said quietly.

Reading out loud, she said, @SanemAydin is nothing but a gold digging mahalle girl whose dancing resembles a strip club routine.

@Sanem Aydin doesn't stand a chance now that Ezgi is back in Istanbul. Who does she think she is?

Throwing her phone down and wiping a tear away, she tried to steel her emotions to not let these disgusting words reach her heart.

Grabbing her, Can wiped them away and whispered loving things in her ear, attempting to replace every ugly word with his own.

Sanem Aydin, bebek, askim, the woman of my dreams and the owner of my heart, you are more beautiful inside and out then any woman in the world. Your compassion, your love, it eclipses the sun and the moon. Your smile brings me so much joy, it actually hurts to look at you sometimes. And your incredible talent is bringing joy to so many people. I love you as I've never dreamed of loving anyone before and knowing that you exist, that you love me back, as impossible as that may be, is a gift that I will live the rest of my days trying to deserve, Can said, his eyes never leaving hers.

Her sobs had slowed down to a few hiccups as she kissed him gently on the lips, whispering her love to him.

She texted Baris that she wasn't feeling well and wouldn't be in so they headed to the courtyard to her favorite place. The large hammock held them both perfectly and as he rubbed her head and silky hair, they both closed their eyes, and hid away from the cruelty that was the world around them that morning.

Over the next few days, Can and Sanem spent as much time together, staying off of social media altogether and just enjoying each other's company. He loved taking pictures of her alone as well as them together. When they were together, they both felt like they were home. It was an undeniable connection.

They seemed to have gotten past the pain those posts had brought but Can couldn't help feeling like he was at fault when he looked into her eyes. He made a vow to protect her anyway he knew how. He wouldn't allow more pain and hurt to touch her sweet heart. No matter the cost. No matter the sacrifice.

___________________

Author's Note:

It's been awhile since I checked in so I wanted to say hi! Thank you for the wonderful comments. I know this story was a bit risky as we all love Can in real life and want to protect his privacy but hopefully the story is close enough to EK to not cross any lines for you as fans.

So, Ezgi (aka Polen)! Wow either I wrote her as evil as I felt Polen was in the series or everyone hates her character as much as I did! But the comments were unanimous. Get rid of her! 😂

She was always going to be written out of the story at this point so I'm glad we were all on the same page. Honestly, Can's reaction to her was the "fix" I needed after his character on EK mindlessly let her overtake his life for way too long. She had it coming and I loved writing it this way. Yeah Can!

And the scene with Sanem and Merihba getting drunk is in my top 10 faves. It highlights Demet's comedic timing so perfectly. I have watched it over and over again!

Remember to vote, comment if you'd like and save the story to your reading lists to get those notifications. 

FYI, you're all amazing, beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for the love 🥰

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

90.4K 6K 43
10 minutes can be an eternity or a blink of an eye depending on where you're standing. For Sanem Aydin it was all the time it took to loose what she...
42K 2.2K 17
The story was special. The legend was powerful. There were moments or story lines I desperately wished for, and moments that at times seemed small b...
68.2K 5.2K 27
Sanem is a new detective trying to prove herself to her captain and department. Can is a world traveler and photographer who tries to help his best f...
153K 9.8K 85
This is an AU story inspired in the original dizi of Erkenci Kus. I had some ideas to many open points that where left without a reply. I missed a di...