HEART FOR BRAINS • the walkin...

By mockingja3

The one where Daryl finds a kid who is, most definitely, not Sophia. "You shouldn't get attached to him, you... More

intro
SEASON TWO
001: lost and found
002: half less than the rest
003: brother
004: ripped stitches
005: but im not dead
006: the barn
007: special kid
008: baby
009: from the sidelines
010: a follower
011: let the truth come out
012: spread like wildfire
my brothers are my best friends
SEASON THREE
013: hit the jackpot
014: super badass
015: everythings out of order
016: three down
017: not her
018: left behind
019: blood and guts
020: judith
021: get out
022: I'll go wherever you go
023: come back home
024: forgive and forget
025: war at the doorstep
026: god might not get it but i do
027: finish it
028: not-so surprise
trying not to forget
SEASON FOUR
029: catch of the month
030: ups and downs of storytime
031: outbreak
032: isolation
033: colour of blood//love
034: all things come to an end
035: how safe is safe?
036: all in knots
037: close call
038: claimed: part one
039: claimed: part two
SEASON FIVE
041: the wrong people
042: escape
043: church in the wild
044: four walls and a roof
045: flipped
046: liar
047: not not funny
048: apologies

040: road to terminus // A

754 51 39
By mockingja3

Rio sat in the front seat of the car, Michonne and Carl in the back. The boy looked into the rear view mirror, Carl had fallen asleep on the woman's lap as she ran a gentle hand through his hair. Michonne had tried speaking to Rio but he hadn't said much in return. She smiled at him from where he could see her and he smiled back faintly before turning away, pulling his hood up.

He pulled his knees against his chest and rested his head against the window. From the side of his eye he could see Daryl and Rick, backs pressed against the car door. He saw that they were talking, unable to make out their voices. Rio rolled down the window quietly, leaving it over half shut but open just enough to eavesdrop if he really focused.

"I didn't know what they were." Daryl sighed. That was the first thing he heard.

"How'd you wind up with them?"

"I was with Beth." He replied. "We got out together. I was with her for a while."

"Is she dead?" Rio felt sick for the millionth time that day. He hoped Beth wasn't dead but he also hoped she wasn't gone. He knew what happened when people were 'gone'.

There was a beat of silence. "She's just gone."

"After that, that's when they found me. I mean, I knew they were bad, but they had a code." Daryl tried to reason. "It was simple. Stupid, but it was something. It was enough."

"And you were alone."

"Said they were looking for some guy. Last night they said they spotted him. I was hanging back. I was gonna leave. But I stayed. That's when I saw it was you four. Right when you saw me. I didn't know what they could do."

"It's not on you, Daryl." Rick told him. "Hey. It's not on you. You, being back with us here, now that's everything. Especially for Rio. He was asking for you."

"He was?"

There was a short silence between them. The boy looked away for only a second and locked eyes again with Michonne in the mirror.

"You're my brother..." Rick said to him calmly, or almost calmly. It sounded too calm, there was something else coming. "And you're that boy's father whether you like it or not."

There it was.

"Hey what you did last night..." Daryl began, not acknowledging what Rick had said. Rio wasn't paying it any attention either.

"Don't tell me you wouldn't've done the same for him. You don't— you can't tell me that."

"I would've." Daryl replied sincerely. "I would've. Anybody would've done that."

"Maybe not that." Rick took back his words, suddenly growing conscious and wiping at the blood upon his face with the shirt in his hand.

"Something happened. That ain't you."

"Daryl, you saw what I did to Tyreese. It ain't all of it but—."

"Hey, come here." Michonne tapped Rio on the shoulder, startling him. "You don't need to be listening."

He only became aware of the tears that were running down his cheek as he turned to face her. He wiped them away before making his way to the back of the car, wary of his arm.

"What've you done to it?"

"I don't know." Rio frowned.

"Let me see."

"Okay." He held out his hand over Carl and Michonne grabbed it carefully.

"Is it hurting?" Carl asked, looking up from where he lay down. Rio guessed that he'd just woken him up.

"Yeah." The boy admitted almost embarrassed.

Michonne picked up on it, placing a hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, you're gonna be fine."

Rio took in a sharp breath and nodded along with what she was saying. "Daryl said that."

"You need to get some sleep."

"I cant."

"Just try for me, okay?"

"Okay."

***

Rio woke by himself, forehead red from leaning against the cold glass of the windows all night. He noticed he couldn't see anything, the windows were still covered up.

The second thing he noticed was that he was alone. He'd been forgotten.

"Hey." He muttered to himself groggily. Then he shouted it louder, pushing down on the handle of the door. "Hey!"

He used his shoulder to push open the door, calling out again when he was met with no response.

Rio made his way around the vehicle, stopping in front of the fire they'd made the previous night. Carl, Rick, Michonne and Daryl were sitting around it. The bodies had been hauled into a pile further down the road but the blood stayed on the grass and gravel.

As the boy looked around frantically Daryl jogged over, placing a steady hand on his arm.

"You okay?" He asked.

"The car. There was— there was no one in the car. I thought you'd gone."

"I'd never leave you, okay?" Daryl reassured him. "None of us would."

"Okay." Rio nodded wearily. He sat before the fire, staying close to Daryl. The boy held his one hand out to the fire, his other laying in his hoodie pocket. He leant onto Daryl, still tired after last night.

Carl and Michonne sat opposite him, the boy also sleepily leaning against her shoulder.

Daryl tapped the boy's shoulder, catching his attention. 'How is the arm?'

He flashed back half a smile and stuck his hand out. 'So-so'

'Were leaving soon'

"Okay."

'I've got an idea'

Rio pulled a face in response and Daryl mimicked taking his hoodie off. The boy copied and then Daryl did it again so Rio copied once more.

He draped his hoodie over his lap and handed the man his flannel. The cold crept under his shirt.

"Here." Daryl handed him the shirt back, sleeves now tied together. He hooked it over the boy's neck and Rio quickly realized what it was. He lifted his arm, putting it in the shirt. Daryl then tied the other end, keeping it in place.

"A sling." Rio pointed out even though there was really no need. Anyone with eyes could tell it was a sling.

"Is it helping?"

"A bit." Rio smiled. The pressure being off his arm really had helped.

Daryl grabbed the boy's hoodie and wrapped it around him. "You're freezing."

Rio looked up to him, not saying anything. Something was different between them, he could tell. What he couldn't tell was whether it was to do with him or Daryl.

***

Michonne and Rick led the way down the railway later in the morning. Carl trailed right behind them. Orangey-brown leaves covered the tracks they walked over, falling from the tall row of trees on each side of the rails.

Rio walked alongside Daryl, still reluctant to let him out of his sight. They walked along the tracks a few paces behind the others. The boy bit down on his lip nervously, cursing when he drew blood. The cold air probably wasn't helping. He held his hoodie sleeve to his mouth, little drops of blood now on the cuff. He folded it over, ignoring it.

"Are you okay?" Daryl asked.

Rio nodded his head as an answer.

"Are you really?"

"I couldn't sleep last night." The boy admitted, letting out a sharp breath.

"I guessed that much." Daryl sighed. "Don't think anyone slept."

Rio let out a hum of acknowledgement, then he burst. He needed to get it off his chest. "I heard everything you and Rick were saying, by the car."

"Everything?"

"Mhm." The boy confirmed then he shook his head. "Well not everything but I heard enough."

"And?" Daryl urged him to continue as he stopped walking.

"It's just—." The boy trailed off, shaking his head again. He didn't want to continue anymore. He fiddled with his sleeve, pulling on it as he stalled.

"Actually, you don't have to talk about it." Rio almost accepted the offer but then grew annoyed. If he didn't say it now then when would he?

"No, I want to." He let out a long breath. "When Rick said that you were my father whether you liked it or not..."

"He didn't—." Daryl began to cut in.

"You've been my dad for a long time now. I just... I wanted you to hear it from me." Rio finally admitted.

The man was silent for a while and then let out a long sigh. "I know." Daryl said finally. He smiled and Rio reached out to the man with his one arm, pulling him in for a hug. "Thank you."

"I won't call you dad or anything." He whispered.

"No." Daryl laughed, pulling back.

"Not yet anyway. Maybe one day." Rio specified then the two continued walking, aware of Rick's impatient eyes on them.

"Fine by me." The man replied, bumping his shoulder.

"Really?"

"Yeah." Daryl shrugged. "Round the prison people asked if you were my kid, got to a point where I stopped correcting them."

"I'd correct them." Rio smiled.

"Of course you would."

"Don't have to now." He said, growing happier by the second.

"Well, I think you just adopted yourself." Daryl laughed at the boy, trying to keep him from shutting himself out.

"Oh well," He replied. "You picked me."

"I don't actually think I did that either." Rio pretended to be offended but he couldn't keep it up any longer.

Caught up in the moment, he admitted something, wishing for once he'd just bite his tongue. "You know, when I was younger I'd wish my brother's baseball coach would adopt us. He was the only one who knew how big of dicks our parents were. He was kinda cool as well."

Daryl went to reply but Rio hurried forward, realizing what he'd said and tapping Carl on the shoulder, walking beside him silently. The man didn't bother to interrupt them.

The group came across another sign dropped on the floor, Rick wiping away the dirt and leaves with his foot. It was Terminus, again.

"We gotta be close."  Rio said.

"Be there before sundown." Daryl agreed, looking over the map.

"Now we head through the woods. We don't know who they are."

"All right." Daryl broke off into the trees, followed by Rio and Carl, then Rick and Michonne. The man had Rio's crossbow in his rucksack, his own in his hand, aimed ahead.

Rick then took over, heading towards the front of the group and taking the lead. He waved them over to the fence, ivy and other weeds climbing up it. Past the gate Rio could see something reminiscent of a factory. 'Terminus' was written across the boarded up windows, the lettering so big you could see it from a mile away. The red brick building was large and much less than welcoming, it seemed to be empty.

"We all spread out." Rick instructed. "Watch for a while, see what we see and get ready. We all stay close."

Daryl tapped Rio's shoulder, nodding his head in the other direction. The boy followed him, shooting a last look at the group before heading back into the forest.

Rio sat down on the floor, looking out at the building. He didn't want to talk about what he'd admitted, he didn't even mean to admit it.

"Rio."

"Hm?"

"Rio."

"What?" He replied, finally turning around.

'I get it'

Rio was about to sign back when he realized he couldn't. His arm had to get better. That man had taken away his way of talking, among many other things. "Get what?" The boy asked, hoping he'd drop the subject.

'The whole parents thing'

Rios cheeks flushed and he shook his head. "I don't know why I told you that. It doesn't matter."

"Hey." Daryl placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and spun him around. "It matters to me."

"They were... big drinkers." He shrugged. "Especially after Oscar died. Thought it was grief for a while but then it just never ended. According to Jesse though, that wasn't when it started either."

"Did they ever—."

"Never hit me. Not directly anyway." Rio pulled a face.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I really don't wanna talk about it right now. I've got you now and you..." he trailed off, looking up at the man and feeling a whole new sense of vulnerability. He felt like a small child again and replied in a naïve voice.  "You're not gonna do anything like that to me. I know it."

"No I'm not."

The man sat down beside him. Rio could tell he wanted to talk but the boy wasn't going to say any more.

'Are you okay?' Daryl asked.

How many times did he have to ask? Rio thought.

"Uh-huh." Was all He replied withfaintly, not bothering to wipe away his tears.

'Do you wanna talk about something else?'

"Talk about what?"

Daryl hesitated and for a moment Rio thought he wasn't going to suggest anything: "Maybe about what happened last night."

"No... I don't know."

"I'm sorry I couldn't help you. Rick helped Carl, he..."

"He tore a guy's throat out. I saw it."

"You had to save yourself, you had to kill that man."

"I understand." Rio began, pulling on the hem of his shirt. "I understand what you said at the prison... He deserved it."

"Yes he did."

Daryl stuck a hand out to Rio and the boy inched back. He hadn't meant to but it happened. He couldn't change that.

The boy saw the look upon his face. His dad's face. He wasn't sure what to think of that. He'd be lying if he said he hadn't thought of it before but now it felt different, knowing he was 'allowed' to. Daryl sat there, almost shell shocked, he didn't dare to move until Rio did.

Rio reached over and wrapped his arm around Daryl's middle, resting his head against the man's chest. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

The man pulled back, keeping a steady hand on Rio's shoulder before signing: 'you don't have to be'

Rio smiled and stretched his sleeve over his hand, bringing it to his face to wipe away the tears that had spilled. He looked off to the side and caught sight of Rick through the trees, digging a hole. He dropped a bag inside of it and checked for size.

The boy sniffled before turning to Daryl again. "Can you pass my crossbow?" He asked the man.

'Can you carry it?'

"Yeah, I can carry it." Rio said back sharply. "Sorry."

"It's fine."

He just shook his head in return. "I'm gonna go and see Rick."

"One thing." Daryl stopped him, pulling his shirt sleeve over his hand and wiping it over the boy's cheeks. Reluctantly, he let out a small laugh, trying to swat the man's arm away.

"Thanks." He said.

"No problem."

Rio headed over to the other man who'd now finished digging, the hole big enough to fit what he needed. The crossbow threatened to slip out of his hand so he set it down on the floor at his feet.

"Are you coming back for that?" He asked, gesturing to the bag.

"Yeah."

"Here." Rio nudged his crossbow over to Rick who placed it in the blue bag that he lowered into the ground.

"I can't use it anyway." The boy admitted, watching as the man began zipping up the bag. He paused for a second.

"Do you want a gun?"

"Sure." He shrugged. Rick handed him a spare handgun. He held it for a second, not used to the feel of the metal in his right hand. He handed it back, changing his mind. "Actually, won't be any use."

"Take your knife then." Rick ordered. "Where is it?"

Rio pulled it from his pocket and held it out to the man. Rick pulled him closer, gently holding his arm. He slipped the knife inside the sling, under the folded shirt. "There."

The boy looked over to him with a small noise, somewhere between a laugh and a scoff.

"If anything goes south..."

"What're you doing?" Carl asked, walking over with Michonne.

"Nothing." Rick replied. "Just digging."

Daryl made his way to them after a minute, standing over Rio and peering down at the hole.

"Just in case." Rick answered before Daryl even got a chance to speak. The man started shoveling dirt back on top of the bag. Rio tried to help, pushing the pile with his boot.

"It's okay, I've got it."

Rio just nodded and stepped back. He turned around to see Carl who gave him a small smile. Neither of them had really said anything since 'it' happened.

Rick finished, hoisting himself up the fence and glancing at the community below. He jumped back down and turned to everyone.

"I'll go first." He started. "Everyone keep close and keep an eye out. Understood?"

Nobody answered but they each nodded, giving confirmation with their faces.

Rick jumped down onto the gravel followed by Michonne and then Carl.

"I'm gonna lift you up, okay?" Daryl asked, kneeling by the fence. Rio nodded and stood onto his hand, the man lifted him up and he used his free arm to pull himself over the top.

The boy was met with Carl once his feet hit the ground. He had his hand outstretched silently and Rio took it, giving it a squeeze.

Rio waited to see for himself that Daryl had jumped over, making sure he was still with them. He needed everyone to be there.

They hurried over the train tracks that lead to the main block of the building and then made their way further inside, scurrying across the back yard.

Rick stopped at a red door, 'FIRE EXIT ONLY' written across it in yellow letters. The man hauled it open, holding it for everyone to prepare for some sort of attack. The boys let go of each other's hands and grabbed their weapons. Although Rio wasn't even sure if he could use his knife, it was just for show.

The door creaked as Rick swung it open, Daryl heading inside immediately, crossbow held high. They all followed.

"Can you hear that?" Carl whispered, leaning over to Rio.

The boy shook his head in return. "No?"

"The woman. She sounds like she's doing a broadcast or something." Michonne answered, quieter than them both.

Daryl hurried through the emptied room and stopped at a blue door. He pressed his back against the wall and peered inside, sneaking in when he saw that no one had noticed them.

Rio looked inside, there was a woman sitting at the table speaking into a microphone. Broadcast. Just like Michonne had guessed. He slipped his knife back into his make-do sling, hoping no one had caught sight of it. Her gray hair was neatly pinned to her head and her frail face dropped as she caught sight of Rick.

"Hello." The man began.

The woman's voice trailed off, mouth hanging agape. She turned her head and Rio followed her gaze. There were five more tables further down the room, the person at each now up and out of their seats, staring back.

"Well, I bet Albert is on perimeter watch." Someone scoffed. He threw his pencil down and turned to them. He got out of his desk and walked forward.

"You here to rob us?" The man asked as he approached.

"No." Rick replied. "We wanted to see you before you saw us."

"Makes sense." He shrugged. "Usually we do this where the tracks meet. Ahem. Welcome to Terminus." He greeted them. Rio grimaced at his enthusiasm.

"I'm Gareth." The man introduced himself. "Looks like you've been on the road for a good bit. You're in some shape."

"We have." Rick answered, then he began to introduce them all. "Rick. That's Carl, Rio, Daryl and Michonne."

Gareth held up his hand and gave them a small wave and smile.

No one waved or smiled back.

"You're nervous. I get it. We were all the same way." He tried to ease their nerves. "We came here for sanctuary. That what you here for?"

Rio nodded even though the question wasn't exactly aimed at him. Gareth noticed, pointing a finger at him. "Little one says yes."

"Yes." Rick said, looking between Rio and Gareth.

"Good. You've found it." Gareth turned around calling for someone named Alex. "This isn't as pretty as the front. We have nothing to hide but the welcome wagon is a whole lot nicer."

"Welcome wagon?" Rio muttered to himself.

"Alex will take you, ask you a few questions. Uh, but first we need to see everyone's weapons. If you could just lay them down in front of you."

Rio became aware of the knife tucked into his sling. It was covered by his arm, the other half of the shirt and a coat, surely it wasn't noticeable? He considered laying it upon the floor but ultimately decided against it.

No one else seemed too keen to do so either. They all looked at each other, matching unsure expressions painting each of their faces.

"All right." Rick reluctantly agreed.

"I'm sure you understand." Gareth smiled as everyone aside from Rio lay down their weapons. He stood there awkwardly, looking down at his scuffed boots.

"Hey kid." Gareth called on him again. "Weapons."

Rio pushed back his coat sleeve, revealing the front of his injured arm. It lay over his chest in the makeshift sling. He hoped that his excuse was worth almost giving away his weapon. "Can't use any."

Rick turned to him, an unreadable expression across his face. He was the only one that knew of Rio's knife.

"You a lefty?" The man asked, head tilted as he looked at the boy's arm.

"Yeah."

"Shame." Gareth tutted. "Well, how about we get that fixed up for you after your tour?"

The boy looked to Daryl nervously who just nodded his head subtly. "Sounds great." He agreed.

"Great." Gareth teased back. He then stood with his arms out and legs at shoulder width apart, telling them all to copy. They did.

Rio closed his eyes as the man approached, tensing up. He wasn't sure whether it was the fear of being caught or the fear of being touched by someone he didn't know.

"Just to make sure." The man said as he patted down his right side, leaving his left arm alone. He patted down his chest and then where the pockets of his jeans were before moving on.

"I'd hate to see the other guy." He said, flashing a smile to Daryl as he looked over his face.

"You would." Rick mentioned.

"They deserve it?" He asked Carl, searching him next.

"Yes." He replied almost immediately.

"They do that to your friend?" The man questioned him again.

"Yes." Rio replied this time, causing the man to turn back to him for a split second.

"Just so you know, we aren't those kind of people but we aren't stupid either." Gareth concluded. "And you shouldn't be stupid enough to try anything stupid. As long as everyone's clear on that, we shouldn't have any problems. Just solutions."

"Okay."

The man handed them their weapons back, picking Michonne's katana up from the floor. Had all the panicking been for nothing?  Daryl picked his own crossbow. Alex handed Carl and Rick their guns back with a smile. Neither smiled back.

"Follow me." He said.

They followed him out of the room in silence, Rick beginning at the front of the group but dropping to the middle to walk beside Rio.

"That was very close." He whispered in a low voice.

"I was smart about it." Rio objected, trying not to give anything away with his face. "And it worked."

"I'm not saying it didn't but... we don't know what they're like. Don't test them."

"I won't." He promised. Then the boy dropped his voice. "I don't think I like him."

"Why not?"

"Too happy. It's fake."

The man made a small noise of agreement before straightening up again. Rick didn't bother to hurry back to Alex, he was now making small conversation with Daryl. Or at least attempting to. He opened the door for them all as they stepped outside.

"So, how longs this place been here?" Daryl asked the man as they made their way through the yard.

"Since almost the start." Alex answered. "When all the camps got overrun people started finding this place. I think it was instinct, you know? Follow a path. Some folks were heading to the coast, others out west or up north but they all wound up here. Where you from?"

No one answered his question but he ignored that, leading them over to a kind looking lady with warm ginger hair. "Hi." She smiled at them. "Heard you came in the back door. Smart. You'll fit right in here."

"Hey, Mary." Alex started. "Would you fix each of these new folks a plate for me?"

"Sure thing." She smiled, grabbing five plates from her friend. Rio watched as she stirred around what seemed to be some sort of stew.

"Why do you do it?" Michonne asked. "Why do you let people in?"

"The more people become a part of us, we get stronger. That's why we put up the signs." Alex said, holding out a plate.

Rio took a look around, trying to find anyone who didn't have an advertisement smile or attitude. He did see something else though, a man in some armor which looked eerily similar to the riot gear at the prison. It wasn't anyone he knew either.

Before he had time to think about whether that was good or bad, Rick was storming forward, yanking something out of Alex's pocket and holding a gun to his head. Daryl held his crossbow up, also aiming it at the man, he grabbed Rio's arm, pulling him in close as everyone else drew their weapons.

"I've got a knife." He whispered to the man. "In my sling. Only Rick knows."

"Keep it." He replied through gritted teeth.

"I'm gonna." The boy said quietly.

"Where the hell did you get this watch?" Rick hissed at the man. It was only then that Rio recognised the silver object in his hand.  "Where the hell did you get this watch?" He repeated.

"You want answers, you want anything else? You get them when you put down the gun."

"I see your man on that roof with a sniper rifle. How good's his aim?" Rick threatened.

Alex only let out a whimper in response.

"Where'd you get the watch? Where'd you get the watch!"

"Don't do anything!" Alex screamed at the sniper on the roof. "I have this! You just put it down. You put it down!" He stopped yelling and returned to his normal voice, just not as friendly. "You want to listen to me. There's a lot of us..."

"Where did you get the goddamn watch?!"

"I got it off of a dead one. I didn't think he'd need it."

Rick adjusted his grip on the man, holding him tighter. "What about the riot gear? The poncho?"

"Got the riot gear off a dead cop." Gareth said, seemingly appearing out of thin air. Rick's head snapped around to face the man. "Found the poncho on a clothesline."

"Gareth we can wait."

"Shut up, Alex."

"You talk to me." Rick instructed, tilting his head to look down at Gareth.

"What's there left to say?" He asked, feigning innocence. Rio knew where each of the items Rick had listed were from. He knew that they'd lied about where they'd found each. He knew that at least Glenn was here and he wanted to go find him.

"You don't trust us anymore." The man continued.

"Gareth..."

"Shut up." He held out a hand in an attempt to silence the man.

"Gareth, please." Alex pleaded for his life.

"It's okay. It's okay. Rick, what do you want?"

"Where are our people?"

"You didn't answer the question." His hand that was outstretched closed in and that was when Rio realized it was a sign. The sniper fired at someone and more gunfire rang out as people in the yard began to reveal their weapons.

"Get down, now!" Rick yelled to Carl, pushing him back. Daryl pushed Rio too.  "Go!"

They crouched low as they ran, taking off down a corner, cut short when rapid fire shots ricocheted from the ground before their feet.

"Come on!" Daryl shouted, turning the other way and leading them out. They ran back into the yard and weaved around the stalls. The gunfire didn't stop. Rick shot up at the snipers, the seemingly biggest threat. He took down one before running back into the building.

Rick led them all through the rooms they'd just been in, retracing their steps. He hoped to get out the way they came. Sprinting through the hall as fast as they could, someone closed the gate on them, lowering it to the floor before their eyes.

"Here!" Rio yelled, noticing a small gate to the right. He ran over rattling it but it wouldn't open.

They ran to the other side of the hall where Rick pushed open a black door marked with the letter A. They came out at the side of the building, wooden crates and totalled cars stacked high against the wall. They ducked behind them as they ran, avoiding the sniper's aim. It wasn't that hard, they weren't very good.

"Come on! This way." Daryl yelled, pointing at the exit.

Someone else yelled. "Get them off B!"

Bullets fired around their feet. It almost felt intentional. Why weren't they killing them? Rick shot at the sniper, the man falling to the ground off the side of the roof.

They ran through another alley, ignoring whatever was around them and only focusing on their way out.

Banging of metal and yells of help paused this rule, the group stopping to look at large metal crates where the noises seemed to be coming from.

"Keep going!"

They ran into another building, a red brick one again marked with the letter A.

Michonne pushed the door open to reveal a small room lit only with candlelight. Candles littered the flood and the walls and even hung from the roof.

"What the hell is this place?" Daryl asked.

"These people, I don't think they're trying to kill us." Michonne said. Rio looked over to her, now aware that someone else was catching on.

"The bullets weren't even getting close to us." Rio added.

"They were aiming at our feet." Rick agreed, looking around the room frantically, trying to read the writing across the walls.

"There." Rick said, heading towards a door in the corner of the room. As soon as they approached, the door slammed shut.

"There." Daryl pointed out another door.

"Go!" Rick yelled.

They ran through the door as quickly as they could. They were back outside again. The place was like a maze. A labyrinth of doors and hostile alleys.

Gunfire ran out but now Rio had no fear that it would hit him. He just kept running. They neared the fence, escape being just a few feet away when a row of men popped up from behind the greenery. They were surrounded.

Snipers were on the roof.

Guards littered the fences.

Gareth was behind them.

Gareth.

"Drop your weapons! Now!" The man yelled, making himself known.

When no one complied he screamed again. "Now!"

Rick dropped his gun to the floor and Carl and Daryl copied, Michonne carefully placed her sword down on the ground. Rio looked between them all frantically. He knew he'd been right to hide the knife.

"Ringleader, go to your left." He ordered, pointing at rick. "The train car, go."

Rio turned to his left, looking over at the train car, once again embellished with a painted A.

"You do what we say, the boy goes with you. Anything else, he dies and you end up in there anyway. You know what, actually, I'll kill them both and you end up in there anyway."

Rick gave Carl a sorry look before walking over to the car. His head was hung low as Rio watched him get closer.

"Now the archer."

"Now the samurai."

The three adults had left, now either outside the train car or walking to it. Rio looked at Carl, not letting his eyes stray anywhere else.

"Stand at the door, ringleader, archer, samurai. In that order." Gareth instructed, no one daring to argue anymore. They all lined up and there was a minute of silence where Rio wasn't sure if they were going to have to go with them or not.

"Our boy's!" Rick demanded.

"Go." Gareth yelled.

Rio let out a shaky breath before walking over, Carl right in front of him. The short walk to the train car seemed to take forever, his steps feeling like they weren't taking him anywhere.

"Ringleader, open the door and go in." Gareth demanded before the boys had reached the line.

"I'll go in with him!"

"Don't make us kill the kids now." He taunted.

Rick gave in, hauling the door open and stepping inside. Daryl followed and then Michonne. Then Carl and Rio slowly made their way inside.

Rick reached out for Carl, grabbing him and shushing his small cries. Rio walked over to Daryl, the man wrapping his arms around him silently.

Someone locked the door from the outside, the unmistakable clang of metal coming together ringing through the train car.

It was almost completely black aside from sunlight poking through holes in the metal.

Rio took a long breath, ready to burst into tears again. He pulled the knife from his sling, holding it out to Rick.

The man didn't see him.

"Rick." He murmured, barely audible.

He turned around, taking the knife from the boy's hand and flipping it open. He tossed it around before handing it back.

"Keep it."

"Rick?" A familiar voice asked from the other end of the cart as they finished talking.

Rio stepped forward, pushing past the adults to get a look of who it was. It was Glenn.

"You're here." Rick said almost gladly. Then his expression changed and grew more solem. "You're here."

"Rio—." The boy rushed forward, Glenn outstretching his hands to him. He held the boy in his arms as Rick scanned the other people in the cart. Maggie joined their reunion, kneeling on the floor beside the boy.

"They're our friends." She told them, breaking away and gesturing to the two new men and women behind her. "They helped save us."

"Yeah." Daryl replied. "Now they're friends of ours."

"For however long that'll be." One of the new men said. He had ginger hair and a long mustache. He was military. Rio could tell.

That didn't stop the boy from looking over at him, disbelief falling over his face. What the hell was wrong with him?

"No." Rick shook his head. "No."

"No, what?" One of the women asked. She had long black hair bunched into pigtails and gold hoop earrings in her ears.

"They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out."

"Find out what?" The military man pried.

"They're fucking with the wrong people."

***

okay super long chapter 5831 words woohoo

anyway i had my first rugby match since i broke my arm today and got studded in the first like ten minutes kms it killed. anyway now i have a massive lump on my foot because believe it or not getting stepped on by metal studs is PAINFUL

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 295 31
𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘢 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘋𝘦𝘢𝘯 𝘋𝘪𝘹𝘰𝘯'𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨. 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐃𝐈𝐗𝐎𝐍 n...
5.5K 178 21
❝ 𝘐𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘩'𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘻𝘦, 𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘥𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘶𝘪𝘯𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘣𝘪𝘥𝘴, 𝘈𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘬𝘢𝘨𝘦, 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭...
9.6K 318 27
•we're still alive, but we're barely breathing•. ***** "I like your cowboy hat." ...
17.5K 593 9
ᴄᴀʀʟ ɢʀɪᴍᴇꜱ x ꜰᴇᴍ!ᴏᴄ ♢ 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐭 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡. 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫. ♢ 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡...