𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐃 ᵂᵃⁿᵈᵃ...

Per InfernalODIE

( 𝘈𝘨𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘜𝘭𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘯 - 𝘐𝘯𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘞𝘢𝘳 ) "ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʀᴏᴍɪꜱᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴛʜɪꜱ ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ ᴡᴀɪᴛ ꜰᴏʀ ᴍᴇ ᴏɴʟʏ ꜱᴄᴀʀᴇᴅ ᴏꜰ... Més

ˢʸⁿᵒᵖˢⁱˢ
ᵀᵃᵇˡᵉ ᵒᶠ ᶜᵒⁿᵗᵉⁿᵗˢ
ᵀʰᵉ ˢᵒᵘⁿᵈᵗʳᵃᶜᵏ
ᴱᵖⁱᵍʳᵃᵖʰ
ᴾᵃʳᵗ ᴼⁿᵉ
⁰⁰. ᴮˡᵒᵒᵈⁱᵉᵈ ᴮᵘᵗ ᵁⁿᵇᵒʷᵉᵈ
⁰¹. ᴿⁱⁿˢᵉ⁻ᵃⁿᵈ⁻ʳᵉᵖᵉᵃᵗ
⁰². ᴮⁱᵍᵍᵉʳ ᴾⁱᶜᵗᵘʳᵉ
⁰³. ᴾᵃˡˡᵃˢ
⁰⁴. ᵀʰᵉ ˢᵗʳⁱⁿᵍˢ ᵀʰᵃᵗ ᴮⁱⁿᵈ ᵁˢ
⁰⁵. ᵀʰᵉ ᴵᵐᵖᵒˢⁱⁿᵍ ᵂᵉⁱᵍʰᵗ ᵒᶠ ᴳᵘⁱˡᵗ
⁰⁶. ᴰʸⁱⁿᵍ ᵗᵒ ᴹᵃᵏᵉ ᴵᵗ ᴸᵃˢᵗ ᴬ ᴸⁱᶠᵉᵗⁱᵐᵉ
⁰⁷. ᵂᵉ ᶜᵃⁿ ᴮᵉ ᴹᵒʳᵉ
⁰⁸. ᶜʰᵃˢⁱⁿᵍ ᵀʰᵉ ˢᵘⁿᵈᵒʷⁿ
⁰⁹. ᶜᵃᵖˢⁱᶻⁱⁿᵍ
¹⁰. ᴼⁿᵉ'ˢ ᴾᵘʳᵖᵒˢᵉ
¹¹. ᴸᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᴬ ᴾʰᵃⁿᵗᵒᵐ
ᴾᵃʳᵗ ᵀʷᵒ
¹². ᴺᵒʷ ᴼᵖᵉⁿ ʸᵒᵘʳ ᴱʸᵉˢ
¹⁴. ᵀʰᵉ ᴸⁱⁿᵉ ᴵⁿ ᵀʰᵉ ˢᵃⁿᵈ
¹⁵. ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᴴᵉʳᵉ

¹³. ᵀʰᵉ ᶠᵘⁿ ᴳᵃᵐᵉ ᵒᶠ ᴾᵒˡⁱᵗⁱᶜˢ

75 10 2
Per InfernalODIE

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 || 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘶𝘯 𝘎𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘗𝘰𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘴

THE LAB HAD BECOME CARTER'S FORM OF THERAPY. His mind devoted to whatever invention rested on the table in front of him with a display beside it, humming lively as he worked endlessly at whatever the task was. He loved the reliability of everything that surrounded him that he could fall back on if something messed up. He loved the tools that felt natural in his grasp, and he loved the goal of his inventions being something to help people around the world.

So, it'd seemed fitting for Carter to find sanctuary in the lab after the catastrophe in Nigeria. Putting his frustration toward his Cellar spider prototype. He was willing to do anything to avoid the news or Wanda. And it wasn't like he was unable to face responsibility because he'd gotten an earful from politicians about the creator Adrick had caused. But this was different.

There were lives taken that he couldn't save.

"Holy fuck! What the fuck is your goddamn problem?" Carter spat out in a rapid tirade of rough coughs into a tissue, staring at the screen. The code for the bot became mangled by conflicting inputs. Halting any level of improvement beyond powering on and the concept. Although its purpose was to help be a device for construction, all it was for him was a pain in the ass to deal with.

It'd been hours of this. Averting inputs and code to try and make the systems of the bot work. But still, it put up some form of restraint from his forceful commands. And it was proving to be more of a waste of time than beneficial. There could be a design with far more accessibility than these spider bots he made. Yet, his resolve didn't falter. Probably because of his natural born stubbornness that he could escape from.

Tony tried to always tell him that those moments of confusion and frustration were the beauty of creating something. And Carter believed him and that outlook. But it just seemed to be more annoying than a fun little challenge.

"I swear, I'm going to have you smashed into little bits," he threatened, looking down at the bot. "I'll just have Thor come down and crush you. I swear to God!"

"I am certain threatening the bot will not be successful," Vision commented, phasing through the wall with a gentle smile.

Carter sighed, turning in his stool to face the man. "You never come in here for chit-chat. So, what is it, Vis?"

Vision tilted his head slightly before looking down at the bot. "Something must not be forced to its full realized state. Instead, it must be forged and shaped into what it can be." He placed his hand over the bot and all the problems with its motor functions and recognition system were fixed. Carter stared, perplexed for a moment with his gaze snapping to the display to see all the problems had been resolved.

"I think your analogy or whatever has some flaws to it," Carter pointed out, leaning against the table beside him. "Forging requires force and shaping something, which also requires force. So, I appreciate the enlightening set of words you've given me, but you didn't answer my question."

The man placed his hands behind his back, lips parting for a moment of thought before he began, "I am here to help. With your work or with whatever is on your mind."

A laugh bubbled at the bottom of Carter's throat, earning a curious look from Vision. "Wanda sent you to talk to me, right? Wanted to see if I was going to tear open a hole in reality like last time?" He inquired with a smile. "Well, you can tell her I said, "I'm fine". So, if that's all, then you can leave me to finish my work-"

As he started to turn to the display, ready to continue his work on the bot, Vision interrupted. "You told all of us you were leaving quite suddenly after you recovered from your injuries. Even when the team asked why, you didn't give them a reason," he explained, pulling a seat beside Carter and sitting down. "Does this have something to do with what happened in Nigeria? Perhaps Sokovia?"

Carter's lips parted, inhaling deeply as his hand grasped a wrench and stared at it intently. His lack of reason to the team had been intentional and only entrusted with a handful. Selected with the purpose that their work aligned with what he wished to do for the world. Giving him a chance to work alongside them moving forward. But it also felt like if he'd given the full reason why then it might push against the man they knew.

Since the moment he arrived in this universe, he made his intentions and his knowledge known to the team. But the moment Ultron struck, he was thrown into a spiral alongside them. His past mistakes and carelessness finally caught up to him and sank deep into his heart. Wishing to rip his closest chance of the life he wanted away.

Licking his bottom lip, Carter turned to the table and fiddled with the tool. "When Sokovia happened, I promised myself to never put myself in the heat of battle again. I didn't want the weight of innocent lives on my conscience," he explained. "But with Tony leaving, I didn't want to add my departure onto everyone's shoulders. So, I promised to be here for the rest of the year until I left on the contrary of not being pulled onto missions unless necessary, like you."

His head tilted, lips curving faintly. "And I thought that from that moment on, I could be taken from the limelight of lives being caught in the crossfire. Seen as more than the guy who caused a crater but as an inventor and maybe a philanthropist. Assist where I know what my Wanda wanted for me. And I would never blame Wanda for what happened, but I think..." His words drifted as he shook his head. "I don't what I think, honestly."

"If this is based on your belief or what she should be capable of, she is more than what you want, Carter," Vision stated.

The thud of Carter dropping the wrench filled the air as the man looked at the other. "Then what do I do with everything I've done? With all the pain I've endured in her name?" He asked lips pursed. "My life was forfeit, but she changed it in exchange to find her again. So, does that make me bad to expect more from her?"

The question was enough to even stun the smartest man alive. And Carter couldn't help but nod and acknowledge the fact that the question wasn't a simple one to answer. If she was capable of giving him powers, wouldn't she be capable of saving millions? Or was she just destined to be a destroyer? It amazed Carter how one question could branch into multiple that were best left concealed by the fragmented flashes of love and care the woman had provided.

But Carter had changed, and perhaps, his heart had changed.

Without warning, Vision stood to his feet. "Mr. Stark has returned," he announced. "With The Secretary of State."

Carter frowned. "For what?"

"Unsure. I will alert the rest of the team."

Carter stood to his feet as Vision elevated, phasing through walls to each member of the group. Making his way to the entrance of the facility, he saw Nova hugging Tony and shaking the executive's hand, offering introductions.

Tony had spotted him the moment he stepped out from the shade of the entrance, smiling. "My boy!" Tony greeted jokingly, making Carter roll his eyes in amusement.

"How're you, man?" Carter grunted, hugging the man.

"Living. Changing the world day by day," Tony explained shortly. He motioned a hand to the older gentleman beside him and said, "Carter Locke, meet Secretary Ross."

Turning to the man, Carter held a hand out to the man. "Pleasure to meet you, sir."

Ross smiled. "The pleasure's all mine, young man," he replied. "I will say, your sudden arrival came as a surprise to me when I looked over your file."

Hearing that made Carter's upper lip twitch, forcing a smile. "I'm sure Tony told you all about our first encounter, sir. Along with my specific reasoning for being here," he stated, glancing at his friend.

"He did, but that shouldn't shadow the sacrifice you've made," Ross commented. "Thank you for everything you gave to save three thousand people in Sokovia. Truly, it is an honour to meet you."

The number of people he saved had never been given a finalized number. Intentionally overshadowed by the fact that Sokovia had been ripped up from the ground and exploded. So, in no way did Carter feel any resentment toward it. In a lot of ways, he was glad to not know the specific number.

Still, he could've done more. He knows it.

"Thank you, sir. But, I still believe I could've saved more," Carter stated, nodding with a thin-lipped smile.

"As I'm sure you could've." Ross smiled, giving Carter's hand one final shake before letting go.

"The briefing room is open for you, sir," Nova announced.

Tony placed a hand on Ross's shoulder and smiled. "Here, I'll show you."

As the pair began to break space from the other two, Nova glanced at Carter. "What the hell is he doing here?"

Carter exhaled heavily, unable to ignore the churning of his stomach. "Nothing good."

Nova let out a snort. "Hit the nail right on the head, big guy."

By the time they got to the briefing room, the entire team was there. And once seated, Ross didn't wait for them.

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing," the man began. "Turned out it was the best round of my life because, after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective."

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes there are some who would prefer the word "vigilantes".,"

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha inquired.

"How about "dangerous"?" He suggested. "What would you call a group of UN-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

"That is utter-!" Before Nova could erupt, Carter grabbed her hand. She looked at him in anger but found him shaking his head. They both knew that the man was talking out of his ass but speaking against him would only worsen the

"New York." Footage of the Chiaturi attack appeared on the holo screen, showing first-hand recordings of the team dealing with the threat. But highlighted was the civilians trying to find safety in the city they thought to be safe. "Washington, D.C." More footage was shown of the Hellicarrier's crashing down into the city and ocean. Nova flew into one of the videos, shooting rockets that resulted in debris from one of the carrier's raining down in the city. It made the girl twist in her chair, jaw clenching tightly. "Sokovia." The same set of contents followed until it finally stopped in Lagos where a body had been shown.

It'd been enough for Wanda to turn away, which made Carter speak up. "Shut it off."

Ross nodded to one of his guards, who turned off the video. "For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution," he announced.

Turning to one of his guards, the man took the book held out to him and placed it in front of Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries it states the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization," he explained as the book began to be exchanged from one member to another. "Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of the United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place," Steve stated. "I feel we've done that."

Ross nodded. "Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor, Leila, and Banner are right now?" He questioned. "If I misplaced a couple of 30-megaton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences."

"Leila Emigold is away with her family, Thor is likely back in Asgard, and the Hulk is nowhere to be found," Nova replied, glaring at the older man. "Bruce is the only one that is truly M.I.A."

"And how would you know this?" Ross asked, smiling.

"Thor took the Bifrost and I visited Leila after what happened in London," she replied, raising a brow to the man. "I think both of them have reasons that don't need to be cleared by you or any of the fuck faces in the governments."

Carter shifted in his seat, glancing at the guard and Ross in anticipation. But when the older man laughed, nodding to the girl's words, he relaxed in his seat.

"Compromise. Reassurances. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground," Ross stated, motioning to the book.

"So, there are contingencies," Rhodey suggested, looking up at the Secretary.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." With the group falling silent, the man nodded. "Talk it over."

As Ross was nearing the exit, Natasha spoke up. "And if we come to a decision you don't like?"

"Then you retire," he answered.

Carter pursed his lips and inhaled sharply. "With all due respect, sir, I think you and I both know that even if that happens, you'll wish you never placed that on us." He looked back at the man, shrugging. "Because if there are no Avengers, it's up to you to keep the world safe. Not us. Not even when you come grovelling at our feet begging us to carry the weight you crumble beneath."

The deadly silence that followed had the group looking between the two as they glared at one another. But although some of them would jump to the frontlines if that situation were to occur, Carter nor Nova would. Not when the very powers that swore to keep them safe were the very entity restraining them.

Once Ross exited, Carter slumped his chair with his eyes flickering shut. A sense of dread bubbled in the pit of his stomach as the rest of the team stood to their feet, deciding to go to the lounge to discuss. But this is why he wanted to leave.

He didn't want to witness the fall.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

628K 21.7K 44
In which two super powered individuals find that everything is overwhelming, except each other. Until alliances are formed and life gets in the way...
82.4K 2.2K 30
. "Eyes red vast and volcanic, and I'm going down like the ...
234K 6.2K 27
[Completed] ⤷ the story of Y/n Maximoff and her mother Wanda Maximoff and how they met the avengers ect. Age of Ultron [Completed] Civil War [Comple...
258K 8.2K 79
New book cover/title This is not your ordinary cute fluff one shots... that's it... that's the description