Pietrofalls

By lobo1989

Jordana arrives at a small town called Pietrofalls, where everyone knows everyone. She befriends a barkeep wh... More

Cast of Characters
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 1

30 6 53
By lobo1989

Jordana

Five miles outside a small town called Pietrofalls, a woman checked on the engine of her pickup truck. She was surrounded by a forest from both sides. The nearest town was Pietrofalls.

She pulled out a tube from under the hood and tossed into the forest. She slammed the hood down and went over to the driver's side of the truck. She grabbed her purse and looked at the sign that read Pietrofalls 5 miles. She took her heels off and began walking towards Pietrofalls barefoot.

After an hour and a half, the woman was beginning to arrive in Pietrofalls. Right outside the town was a little farm with a young farmer working in the fields. The farmer stopped to look in her direction as she continued to make her way into town. She took a quick glance at the farmer who was still staring at her. She waved at him and continued into town.

She entered the small town where everyone stopped what they were doing to stare at her. She imagined they were staring because of the way she was dressed. She wore black short shorts and a purple crop top. She noted everyone in town seemed very conservative compared to her.

"Ugh," she sighed. "This isn't going to be easy," she whispered to herself as she scanned the people nearby.

She spotted a tall large man swaying down an alleyway. She made her way to him. "Hey there," she called out.

The man turned around as he held a vodka bottle. "Huh," he murmured.

"Hi, I'm Jordana." She noted the liquor bottle in his right hand. "I'm looking for a mechanic. Can you point me in the right direction?"

"Oh," said the drunk. "You're looking for Allenby." He swayed back and forth as he spoke. "She's all the way down the street on the left side. Or is it the right side?" He said as he looked at his hands then it was like he was seeing the vodka bottle for the first time and took a swig.

"You alright there?" asked Jordana.

The man brought down the bottle and swayed back and forth. "Yeah, I'm fine. Where was I?"

"You were telling me where the mechanic was."

"Oh yeah," said the drunk as he pointed his fingers up in the air. "You're looking for Allenby. She's all the way down the street. You'll take a left. Wait, you take a right. Yes, a right at the end of the street. Her garage will be about two houses down from there."

"Alright," said Jordana, realizing she couldn't trust his directions. "Thank you."

"Wait," said the drunk. "It's a left at the end of the street. Not a right."

A police siren went off behind Jordana. She turned around and saw the older African American officer get out of the old vehicle. "Hello, young lady," said the officer. "I hope Domingo isn't giving you a hard time."

Jordana looked back at the drunk who was named Domingo. She returned her attention to the police officer. "Not at all," she told him with a smile. "Domingo was being nice enough to give me directions to a mechanic."

"That's right, Sheriff Lawrence," slurred Domingo. "I was telling her how to get to Allenby's garage."

"Is that so," said Sheriff Lawrence. He turned his attention to Jordana. "Having car troubles?"

"I am," said Jordana. "My truck broke down a couple of miles outside of town. Been walking barefoot for at least two hours." She raised her hand that held her heels.

Both Domingo and Sheriff Lawrence looked down at her feet. "Woah, those feet are dirty," said Domingo.

"Please don't stare," said Jordana. "You're making me self conscious."

"Come on, sweetie," said Sheriff Lawrence. "I think you've walked enough for today. I'll give you a ride to Allenby's garage."

Jordana hesitated for a moment, but walked over to his vehicle's passenger side. "Why not."

"Go home, Domingo," said Sheriff Lawrence. "Get some rest. You're looking a little rough." Domingo gave him a salute as the sheriff and Jordana got inside the vehicle.

"Thank you for this," said Jordana.

Sheriff Lawrence started the vehicle and slowly drove off as Domingo waved goodbye. "What brings you to this part of Mass?" asked Sheriff Lawrence.

"Nothing you need to worry about, officer," answered Jordana. "I promise it's nothing criminal."

"Funny." Sheriff Lawrence slowly drove down the street. "I wasn't accusing you of criminal activity. Just making light conversation."

"Sorry, no offense. I just don't trust cops. You know, with everything on the news."

"I know what you're talking about and in my defense, I'm black, and those cops are white.... And from down south."

Jordana let out a slight chuckle. "Fair enough."

"Good to see I can still make a pretty girl laugh." Sheriff Lawrence took a left at the end of the street. "The only reason I asked why you're out here is because not a lot of people come out to this small part of Mass. We really don't have much out here."

"I was just out for a long drive," answered Jordana. "Clearing my mind from my troubles when my vehicle broke down. I'm lucky I was only a few miles away from your town, because who knows what would have happened if my vehicle had broken down in the middle of nowhere."

Sheriff Lawrence pulled in front of Allenby's garage which seemed to be attached to its owner's house. "I can relate to wanting to go on a long drive to clear my head. It can be therapeutic."

Jordana gave him a nod as she opened the vehicle's door. "Thank you for the ride, Sheriff Lawrence."

"My pleasure. I hope you can get your vehicle fixed quickly so you don't have to pile on to your worries."

Jordana gave him a smile as she got out of the vehicle and closed its door. She went over to the garage as Sheriff Lawrence drove away.

A woman wearing denim overall walked out of the garage as she cleaned her hands with a rag. She looked towards the police vehicle as it drove away, not noticing Jordana coming from her side.

"Hey," said Jordana, getting her attention.

"Oh, hey," said the woman. "I didn't see you there. Did the sheriff drop you off?" she asked, pointing towards the police vehicle.

"Yes he did. He was nice enough to give me a ride here. Are you Allenby?"

"I am. Can I help you with something?"

Jordana looked at the garage's sign, staring at the words Allenby. "A girl mechanic. You don't see that often." She turned her attention to Allenby. "They mentioned your name a couple of times but I still didn't register that you were a girl. Funny, isn't it?"

"I'm ex air force," said Allenby. "That's where I learned to be a mechanic."

"Wow, you're even cooler than I thought." Jordana took a step closer to Allenby and offered her hand. "My name is Jordana. It's nice to meet you."

Allenby shook Jordana's hand. "Nice to meet you. What brings you to my garage?"

"My vehicle broke down outside of town. I'm in dire need of a mechanic."

"Sounds like it. Any idea what's wrong with your car?"

"It's a pickup truck, and no idea. I'm not really good with my hands," she said as she showed off her purple nails.

"Nice nails. Okay, first thing I'm going to have to do is tow your truck here. How far out of town is your vehicle?"

"About five miles out. I can show you."

"Alright," said Allenby. "Follow me then."

****

Allenby and Jordana towed the truck back to the garage. They were putting the truck in the garage as a car pulled into the house's driveway.

"A friend of yours?" asked Jordana.

"My sister actually," said Allenby. "Well, sister-in-law."

A woman came out of the car and stared at Jordana.

"Your sister-in-law," whispered Jordana to Allenby. "Your brother married a beautiful woman."

"My sister actually. Well, my military sister actually," said Allenby.

"Military sister," said Jordana as she looked at Allenby. "So you're not blood."

"Not blood but they're more my family than anyone who shares my blood." Allenby noticed Jordana was smiling at her. "What?"

"You're such a bad-ass."

Allenby found herself blushing as she turned away.

"Hey Bee," said the sister-in-law as she approached. "You going to introduce me to your new friend?"

"Hey Anita," said Allenby who still had her back turned to them. "This is Jordana. Jordana, this is Anita. Jordana had the misfortune of breaking down outside of town."

"My misfortune is another person's fortune I suspect," said Jordana as she looked back at her truck. "I have a feeling whatever is wrong is going to cost me a lot."

"Too early to tell," said Allenby as she walked over to her vehicle. "Anita, you mind taking Jordana out to eat while I figure out the damage." Allenby turned to look at Jordana. "I should have an idea what's wrong with your vehicle by the time you're done eating."

Anita had a bit of an annoyed look on her face as she put a hand on her hip. "You didn't even ask why I'm here."

"I'm assuming it's about her," said Allenby as she continued to look at her truck.

"Excuse me?" said Jordana.

"It's a small town and a new person like you is going to be the talk of the town. Plus, I bet you were probably seen driving with the sheriff. I bet the whole town has heard about you by now."

Jordana looked at Anita. "Is that true?"

"The scantily dressed girl who just arrived in town is all anyone can talk about," answered Anita.

"Scantily dressed?" said Jordana as she looked down at herself. "I guess this isn't my most conservative look."

"There's nothing conservative about what you're wearing. From Boston I'm assuming."

"Springfield actually. Am I really the talk of the town?"

"Small town," said Allenby. "Before you, I was the talk of the town."

"I'm assuming you like the attention," Anita said to Jordana.

Jordana frowned, but quickly smiled again. "I have my moments. So are you going to show me a nice place to eat?"

"I can do that. Let me just talk to Bee before we go."

"Sure thing," said Jordana as she took a couple of steps away from them.

Anita went over to Allenby as she looked under the hood. "What do you think?" she whispered to Allenby.

"I have no idea what could be wrong with this truck." Allenby looked up from under the hood and at Anita who had an annoyed look on her face. "You mean about her. I think she is only passing by. She'll be gone as soon as the truck is fixed."

"She picked a really bad day to come to town."

"I wouldn't be worried about it."

Anita stared at Jordana who was looking out into the distance. "She is very attractive. You should be careful. She's going to steal the attention of all the available bachelors."

Now it was Allenby's turn to have an annoyed look on her face.

"Don't look at me like that," said Anita. "It's the truth. I heard farmer boy Noah even call it an early day of work to come into town. He was seen asking around for our mysterious girl."

"She's mysterious now?"

"New people are always mysterious."

"I don't care," said Allenby. "I know where I live. Of course a newcomer is going to be the talk of the town."

"So you are not the slightest jealous?"

"Why would I be jealous?" said Allenby.

"Many reasons," said Anita. "You're no longer going to be the center of attention and you're definitely going to lose the attention of the boys," she said as she looked towards Jordana.

"I doubt she's going to be staying for long and I just simply don't care."

Anita crossed her arms. "You're no fun. I was hoping this would motivate you to go get a boyfriend."

"That is none of your business." Allenby looked towards Jordana. "And if I was talking to some man and he was easily tempted away, I wouldn't want him anyways."

"Alright. Well said. So does that mean you are talking to someone?"

"None of your business, Anita," said Allenby as she went back to work on the vehicle. "Take her to Ivy's. She's probably hungry."

"Okay," said Anita. "You can keep your secrets, but I will eventually figure them out."

"Just go."

"Goodbye Anita."

"Goodbye Bee."

****

Anita and Jordana arrived at the Ivy Tavern which had a forest theme to it. Anita led the way when she noticed Jordana stayed behind. "Is there something wrong?" asked Anita.

"This is a cool looking place," said Jordana. "Is it a Poison Ivy theme?"

"Maybe, but the owner will deny it. Copyright and all that."

"Of course. I like it."

They walked inside the tavern which only had a couple of people sitting around. In one corner of the room there was a small group of men playing cards while in another corner sat a man who was strumming up his guitar. Jordana spotted two women playing chess at the far end of the tavern. The only other person in the room was the bartender behind the bar. Anita and Jordana went over to the bar.

"Hello Ivy," said Anita to the bartender.

"Hey Anita," said Ivy as she started making a drink in front of them. "The usual."

"Yes please," said Anita.

Ivy looked up at Jordana. "Hey, you're the new girl in town. I heard you're having car problems."

"Wow, this is a really small town," said Jordana.

"Yes, but I also know everything. Isn't that right, Anita."

"You definitely know more than most."

"What can I get for you miss..."

"My name is Jordana Valentine. I'll take an ice tea. Do you have a menu? I am a little hungry."

"I sure do. Let me just get your drink and I'll be right back with the menu." Ivy finished the drink she was making and put it in front of Anita. It was a large margarita with a cute little green umbrella on it. "Enjoy," said Ivy as she walked away.

"Is that the owner of this place?" Jordana asked Anita.

"Yes it is," answered Anita. "She's very liked in town."

"I already like her. Is Ivy really her name?"

"It is. At least as far as I know."

"She looks so young to be the owner of this place."

"She is. I believe she's in her twenties."

"And she's the owner of this establishment. That's so impressive."

Ivy returned with Jordana's ice tea and a menu. "Here you go. I hope you enjoy it."

"Thank you very much," said Jordana, then took a sip of the drink. "Hmm. I do have a question," said Jordana to Ivy. "What would you recommend? Recommend me the one thing on your menu you would want this place to be known for."

"Oh that's a good question." Ivy gestured to the menu. "Can I see that?"

"Here," said Jordana as she pushed it to her.

Ivy turned the menu around so it faced her. She turned to the second page and then turned it around so Jordana could see it. She pointed at a picture on the menu. "I recommend the Poison Ivy's Pasta Salad."

"It's delicious," said Anita.

Jordana stared at the picture of the pasta salad. She could tell it had many types of vegetables in it. "It looks delicious. I will have it, thanks."

"Sounds good," said Ivy. "How about you, Anita? Planning to eat today?"

"Not today," said Anita. "I'll just be drinking. Actually, I'll take some chips."

"Right away," said Ivy as she left.

"Aren't you going to get a little too drunk to drive back?" asked Jordana.

"Oh, I'm going to leave my car here and walk home. This place is in the middle of town. No one lives far from here."

"So this is the place to be?"

"Yes it is. Opens at midday and closes around two in the morning."

"Is Ivy usually working all that time?"

"Most of it, but she does take her breaks."

"That's a lot. She seems pretty impressive. And I love this place. I think this place would be popular in the big cities, but I do believe it might have some copyright issues." Jordana turned around to look at the people in the tavern. "Do you know everyone here?"

Anita turned around to look at the people. "Everyone knows everyone."

"Alright, then tell me who's the person playing guitar?"

"That would be Mattias," answered Anita. "He's the local musician. You'll usually find him playing his guitar here."

"Okay," said Jordana as she turned her attention to the two who were playing chess. "How about those two?"

Ivy returned with Jordana's pasta salad. "Here you go." Ivy put the pasta salad in front of Jordana.

"This looks very good," said Jordana as she looked down at the pasta, forgetting what she previously asked. She grabbed her fork and began to eat. "Oh my god, this is delicious."

"I'm happy you enjoy it," said Ivy as she leaned on her hands and put her elbows on the bar. She stared at Jordana as she ate. "Are you going to be staying with us for a while, Ms. Valentine?"

"Wasn't part of my plan, but I wasn't planning on driving out here either."

"Oh, yeah. You just happened to pass by in our nice little town?"

"That's right. I was driving around to clear my mind when my poor truck broke down, but I'll be honest, I'm happy it did."

"You're happy your truck broke down?"

"Yes, because if it didn't, I would have never found this special little place."

"Ahh, thank you," said Ivy. "You're sweet. If you're going to be staying in town, how about I offer you a room upstairs. I promise it'll be cheap."

"Thank you," said Jordana. "Maybe I will take you up on that."

There was a loud commotion behind the women that caused them to turn around. Everyone's attention was on the group who were playing cards. One of the men stood and laughed as he tilted his hat to the rest of the group.

"Pleasure playing with you, boys, but it seems you've all run out of luck," said the man. "Or you've at least ran out of money. Till next time." The man saw the women at the bar and went over to them.

"In a good luck streak today, Liam," said Ivy.

"Yes I am," said Liam as he showed them his wad of cash. "How are you doing, ladies?" he said to Anita and Jordana.

"We're alright," answered Anita. "You seem to be doing better than us."

"Definitely one of my better days. Who's your friend?"

"Not really my friend," said Anita.

"No," said Jordana. "We just met today, but I'm sure we'll become friends by the end of the day." She turned her attention to Liam. "My name is Jordana," she said, offering her hand.

"Liam," he said as he took her hand. "It's a pleasure. How about I buy you ladies a round of drinks."

"That sounds good to me." Jordana turned to Ivy. "Will you be drinking with us?"

"What are we drinking to?" asked Ivy.

"To new friendships," said Jordana.

"I like that," said Ivy. "I'll drink to that," she said as she brought out a bottle of tequila.

"Don't pour one for me," said Anita. "One drink is enough."

"Ah, just one shot for me," said Jordana. "Could be the only chance we get to drink together. To meeting new people."

"I'm not a big fan of shots."

Ivy put five shot glasses in front of the group and poured the tequila.

"I never agreed to the shot," said Anita. "And there's an extra one here."

"That one is for your sister," said Ivy as she pointed towards the door.

The group looked towards the door and saw Allenby walk in. Allenby spotted them quickly and made her way to them.

Jordana grabbed two shot glasses and handed one to Allenby. "Here you go."

"What's this for?" asked Allenby, confused.

"A round of shots to new friends," answered Jordana. "They're on Liam here."

Allenby gave Liam a look.

"Yeah," said Liam as he grabbed his shot glass. "A round to new friends on me."

Allenby took the shot from Jordana. "Okay, cheers." They all raised their glasses and cheered, even Anita, reluctantly. Allenby made a face as she put the glass down on the bar. "Jordana, can I talk to you in private?"

"Sure," said Jordana, who seemed to be the one who enjoyed the shot the most out of the group. They walked to the side as the guy with the guitar approached Allenby.

"Hey Ally," said Mattias.

"Oh, hey Mattias," said Allenby. "Now is not a good time. Can we talk later?"

"Sure thing. You know where I am." He went back to his corner as Jordana stared.

"What's up with you two?" asked Jordana, turning her attention to Allenby.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you two dating?"

"No," said Allenby a little too loudly which caused her to be self conscious and cover her mouth.

"Why not?" asked Jordana as she looked back at Mattias. "Musicians are hot. Or are you into someone else."

Allenby shook her head. "Not what I came here for." She got serious, causing Jordana to do so as well.

"What's up?" said Jordana.

"It's about your truck. It's not an easy fix."

"But it can be fixed?"

"Yes, but it's going to cost a lot of money and it's going to take a long time. I have to order some parts and because of our location, it could take a while for them to arrive."

Jordana took a seat. "Any idea how long it could take?"

"Anywhere from a week to a month. I'll understand if you rather get your vehicle towed to your local mechanic. I'll even tow it for you if you like."

"No," said Jordana. "Not necessary. No reason to take it to another mechanic when a capable one already has it."

"How do you figure I'm a capable mechanic?"

"Ex air force mechanic. Of course you're capable."

"Thank you," said Allenby. "So I imagine you need a ride back home. I can take you. All you have to do is let me know when."

"Also not necessary. I can use a vacation and Ivy already offered for me to stay here."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but I guess I should make sure of that before I start assuming."

"You'll really stay here for up to a month?"

"If that's how long it takes for you to fix my truck, then yes."

"And you can just get away with that? Don't you have to return to work or something, maybe family?"

"I work remotely so I can do that wherever I want and as for family, don't have any. At least I don't have any that live in Mass."

"And you have the money to do something like that?"

"Money is not an issue," said Jordana.

"Okay then," said Allenby. "I guess all you have to do is confirm with Ivy that you can stay."

"Right, let's go see." Jordana grabbed Allenby's hand and pulled her back towards the bar where the group waited for them. Jordana released Allenby's hand and leaned on the bar towards Ivy. "Hey Ivy, seems it's going to take a while to fix my truck so is that room still available. I can pay, of course."

"Of course it is," said Ivy with a smile. "How long will you be staying?"

"Anywhere from a week to a month. Is that alright?"

"That's great," said Ivy. "This town can use the excitement."

"Not sure everyone is going to agree with you on that," said Anita.

"Ah," said Jordana. "Don't tell me I haven't made a good impression on you."

"I'm not talking about myself. I love the excitement you might bring. Matter a fact, let's have another round of shots to our new found friendship." She looked at Liam. "On Liam of course."

Liam gave her a cold stare, then smiled. "Of course," he said, changing his demeanor to lighthearted. "Another round on me."

Ivy poured the shots and passed them around to the group. "To new friendships and new excitement to our little town, Pietrofalls. Everyone raised their glasses and cheered before downing their shot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 195 39
Tess is in love with a wolf who seems to be next in line to be killed. As Jace (the wolf) marks Tess, their killer is out to get them both as Tess ba...
16.6K 705 23
Tala Silver is just a normal girl with normal friends and family. She and her best friend, Danielle, begin there college days. Tala meets Mark at a c...
25 0 1
Rose is new to school. She moved up to Washington with her mom after her dad was killed by a wolf. Then she meets Jordan. Hes shy, and of course hand...
18.7K 1K 33
Amy, who has just moved into town along with her dad and her two brothers, loves sketching animals. She goes out into the forest and stumbles upon a...