Turn

By Animalsandjordieblob

Two very different people. Two very different problems. Running from the same thing. *** Crummy basement. Di... More

1 - Erin Mathis
2- Andra Matar
3 - Erin Mathis
4- Andra Matar
5 - Erin Mathis
6- Andra Matar
7 - Erin Mathis
8- Andra Matar
9 - Erin Mathis
10- Andra Matar
11 - Erin Mathis
12- Andra Matar
13 - Erin Mathis
15 - Erin Mathis
16- Andra Matar

14- Andra Matar

20 1 0
By Animalsandjordieblob

I just didn't want to die.

The very first time I was killed, in the S.H.I.E.L.D. lab, I could feel the flash of pain as my life ended. I felt myself fade and saw the world go black.

It was something I never wanted to experience again.

I ran, and I was determined to hide and stay hidden until I was off S.H.I.E.L.D.'s radar, then possibly search for a cure. If I was lucky, I could do this. If.

When S.H.I.E.L.D. recruits you, they say you're risking your life, that not everyone lives through working in the field, and I promised I was willing to give my life for them.

Once. Once was more than enough.

Apparently, not for them.

Whenever I had heard about people trying to run from S.H.I.E.L.D., I used to laugh. S.H.I.E.L.D. could and would always find you.

The agency practically stalked you. I found it creepy, but got past it. S.H.I.E.L.D. held an enormous power over society that was often abused, as I had seen. All Nick Fury needed was a funky triangle, a beard, and a shirt that said "For the Greater Good."

There were good intentions behind the actions-- they just never thought of the real cost, like a selfish child who thinks they know everything.

"The end justifies the means."

Now Fury and Machiavelli can have matching t-shirts.

I won't have any trouble finding my boss a Christmas gift.

Again, this was not going to be easy.

I glanced out the window of the convience store. No cars branded with the S.H.I.E.L.D. emblem were rapidly approaching my location-- I was safe from capture, at least for the time being. I would be caught at one point-- I was sure of it-- but for as long as I could, I would stay away from work.

I thanked the exhausted teenage cashier and grabbed my bag of askew items. It was like when you forgot a few select items when going to the store, and when you went back, only the weirdest things remained-- though this was tough to beat.

In my bag, there was;

-Multiple bags of Doritos

-Hair ties

-Four baseball caps

-An electric razor

-Several cans of Red Bull

-Over five packs of gum

-Gummy worms

The hotel manager wasn't the only one who thought I was crazy that night, and the fact that it was past 3 AM didn't help either. However, it honestly couldn't wait. I was going to be known as a national fugitive by the next day.

I flipped my hood up, thanking Tony Stark once more for actually coming through.

Just roll with the crazy. I told myself.

I rounded the corner to see Tony's car. I sighed, and ran my fingers through my hair. It had been a long day.

A miniscule noise made me freeze. I waited; tense, for a few moments.

Don't be so paranoid, Andra. I chided. It's probably just a cat.

Yeah, a cat that works for S.H.I.E.L.D..

I opened the car door, and casually pulled out the small black handgun. To say I was anxious was an understatement.

I searched the corner for signs of movement, gripping the gun tightly; aware that there were probably cameras everywhere and that I couldn't actually be convicted until I committed a real crime-- such as shooting something or not having my gun license that came with my job.

I rounded the corner, adrenaline surging through my veins, and there was-- nothing. I cursed at myself for being so on edge, though I wasn't shocked. I had every reason to be scared.

Shoving the gun in my jeans, I turned back around to face the car, and there was, along with it, a person standing curiously next to the hood.It took every ounce of strength I had not to pull the handgun back out, and shoot them on the spot.

Taking long, powerful strides, I narrowed my eyes. I wasn't that important to send agents out in the night-- was I?

"What are you doing?" I demanded, my voice loud and authoritive.The woman jumped, her bright red hair not helping her look less surprised. I took her in-- she didn't look like an agent, that with her glasses, frazzled hair and casual clothes, but I still kept my guard up.

"I--" She started, but then her eyes widened, and a look of regret flashed across her face. "You're Agent Matar."

I frowned. Only someone who worked at S.H.I.E.L.D. would call me "agent".

I glanced around nervously, knowing the conversation we were about to have was best not heard by anyone but us. "Get in." I commanded, crossing over to the driver's side.

I sat and crossed my arms, hoping I wouldn't end up getting blood on the seat of a Mercedes. "Who are you?" I asked once both doors were shut.

She waited a moment, as if considering telling me the truth or not. "Erin Mathis, head of the Extra Terrestrial Science and Studies department...in other words, I work in a basement!" Her voice was flat, although she tried to make it sound as sarcastically enthusiastic as possible.

A crease formed in my forehead. I had heard the name before...but where?

"You work for S.H.I.E.L.D.?" I inquired bluntly. I could practically see the gears working in Erin's mind. Truth or lies?

"Used to." She said plainly, and I swore she was telling the truth.

"If you're lying, I'll shoot you in a second." I threatened. "Why are you here?"

"I saw you driving a car out of Avengers' Tower." She countered instantly.

"Tony gave me that car... why were you at Avengers' Tower?"

She didn't believe, me, I could tell, which was fair, because I didn't believe what came out of her mouth next either.

"Stark wouldn't stop his pouting after I declined his offer to stay the first five times, so I really didn't have a choice... I mean, it was either that or deal with S.H.I.E.L.D. ." She said defensively.

I shrugged. "Fine. You can go back now, I'm sure Tony will tell you his girlfriend's sister was supposed to be there when I was."

"Right, and Pep has a sister." Mathis said, not believe me for a second, the tension between us still surging.

"Half sister, thank you..." A sudden thought came to mind. "You were with that info scandal, weren't you?" I scoffed, realizing why the name was familiar-- I had read the file. "That's why you work for S.H.I.E.L.D.." By the end of my statement, it wasn't a question.

"Worked, and I do believe that's called 'forced into labor'." She said shortly. "I'm not going back. You're running away," She continued, though she seemed to acknowledge my shocked expression, "and I'm coming with you."

I almost laughed. "I don't think so."

Erin glared at me, and I was reminded of a kid getting scolded by a parent. "Why not, too much extra weight to carry around?" Her voice was like an accusation as she continued. She closed her eyes, a small grin creeping into her lips. She was definitely hiding something. "I can handle myself just fine..." There was a slight pause, Erin filling the silence with a hesitated smirk. "If you don't like me, you can shoot me."

I rolled my eyes. "Good enough." I sighed, remembering that nothing decent happens after 2 AM. I reached down, pulling out the razor and hair ties. "Come on. Time for bonding exercises." I said, and threw her the razor.

***

My mouth formed a small "o" as I gingerly poked the top my head.

Well, it'd be harder to recognize me now, and the cancer pity card was always an option.

Drastic times call for drastic actions. Almost two feet of dark hair were missing from my head. I ran my hand over the top of my scalp.

"Was this part of your brilliant escape plan?" Erin asked in a kind of a shocked voice. I shivered, and flipped up my hood once more. "Not originally...it's too cold."

Erin agreed, her red hair not agreeing as well with its new, shorter style. Her hair hadn't been as long as mine, but there was still A LOT missing from her head. It wasn't an awful look, to be honest...

I stood and wordlessly stashed the items used to remove our hair under the seat. Erin joined me in the car, and stared ahead. "Where do we go, now, then?"

"We can't stay in New York." I said, the impact of what I was doing fully hitting me for the first time. "And we can't go home."

"Let's just drive." I said, finishing my prior thought. "

"We can reach Pennsylvania by sun up." I didn't say it, but by that time I'd be known as a national fugitive, and by that time, my father would watch the morning news and learn that his daughter was the subject of a man hunt.

I downed half a can of Red Bull, and gripped the steering wheel tightly.

"Just drive." Erin repeated numbly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

701 52 9
Friendship doesn't change when your bestie becomes a fire-wielding champion, but a lot of other stuff does. Like having to put 'kidnapped by idiots w...
Irrational By Mel

Fanfiction

45.2K 1.8K 60
You've worked with the Avengers for years, built relationships, bonds and you are finally happy with your life. Which isn't something that comes easy...
431K 11.4K 64
》After a moment of panic I turned around. He was looking at me. His face was hurt even more since the last time I saw him. The pain in his eyes broke...
203K 4.9K 31
"She's a ticking time-bomb, and a lot of people are going to die when she explodes." I'm subject K041. HYDRA kidnapped me, trained me, experimented o...