His Little Runt

By Book5121

Alairia Mace has never wanted anything more than to be looked at as an equal, to be left alone by wolves that... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 1

171 9 8
By Book5121

Caden

Sunlight filters in through the window, highlighting every single colour and spark about the place. Light dances off the windows, making rainbows glitter in my eyes. Bright and beautiful, just like the girl standing in the middle of it all.

I am not ignoring the fact that I'm being a complete and utter creep right now, but instead embracing it. No one knows, and no one has to know. It's just me and her. The way it should be. The way I wish with everything I am that it-

"Alpha Caden!"

I jump, hitting my head on a low hanging awning and cursing quietly.

I suppose that's what one gets for snooping around in alleys and spying on people they definitely shouldn't be.

Giggles erupt from beside me, and I whip around to find... nothing?

Something lands on my back, arms and legs wrapping so tight around my throat and abdomen that air has to squeeze through my lungs in order for me to breathe properly.

"Are you spying on miss Ally again?" A very serious, very girly voice whisper shouts in my ear.

I roll my eyes as a smile plays on my lips.

This kid...

"Not spying, remember?" I say, hoisting her higher on my back.

She shakes her finger. "Right. Just making sure she's safe. I remember. But I think being super spy's is more fun."

I chuckle, ducking out of the ally and using physical force to keep my eyes from stealing one last glance at a certain bakery.

"It probably would be more fun, but I have a very important job to do," I state with mock seriousness.

"Do you wanna protect her because you have a crush on her?" She whisper shouts once again.

I sigh. If only it were that childish. That easy to understand and therefore ignore.

"Alpha's don't have crushes, silly," I say. "Now, the real question is am I going to be handed a missing kid report today, or are you actually following the rules for once?"

Silence ensues my words, and I know I have my answer.

I crouch, allowing the little girl from my back to slide off and stand before I turn around to face her.

Wide blue eyes stare back at me. A heart shaped face framed by tight little blond curls pulled up into two adorable ponytails.

Her long black lashes droop to touch her cheeks as I set my hands on her shoulders.

"Molly," I start. "we've talked about this."

She bites her lip, and my heart aches at the tear that she quickly swipes away.

"Kai and Hillary were fighting again, Ms. Jane was yelling at a group of girls that were colouring on the walls, Robert kept pulling on my pigtails, and it was too loud."

Her lip quivers on the words, and I don't even have to think before pulling her into my arms.

I like to imagine the program I developed over the years is flawless, but Molly is an example of how many flaws it truly has.

Most packs, no matter how cruel they think it is, throw orphaned children out. If your parents die or leave, you are automatically considered a rogue, but not here.

I had an orphanage built in my pack. I made a place for kids to feel safe and wanted with a chance of possibly belonging in a different home one day.

I gave them a home, but, as I look at Molly's tear stained cheeks, I realize I can never give them the one thing they need; security.

I swipe my thumbs gently under her eyes, smiling softly at her as I lean in to whisper, "I have something for you, but I need to know that it can stay between us."

Her eyes light up, as they always do when secrets or surprises are involved.

She nods her head up and down aggressively. "I promise, Alpha Caden. I pinky swear I won't tell anyone."

My smile widens. "Good." Then I reach back and pull a bright blue box out of my pocket, the pink ribbon fluttering in the breeze as I hold it in front of her. "This was supposed to be for your birthday, but I figure a moment like this needs something special to remind you of how truly important you are."

Her dainty fingers wrap around the blue cardboard, and I watch as she pulls at the ribbon to reveal the tiny ballerina charm inside.

She gasps, and I don't get a chance to take another breath before arms are crushing my neck.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love it!"

I chuckle. "I'm glad. I want you to put it on that clanky bracelet and remember that you're going to be an amazing ballerina one day. Ok?"

She nods. "I will!" Then her attention shifts to something behind my back and I swear her eyes turn a more vibrant shade of blue. "Miss Ally, look! I got- oh wait." Her eyes look to me before she says, "Never mind!"

My body whips around faster than my mind can comprehend, my entire being focused on the word that left Molly's mouth. Or rather, the name.

And there stands Alairia.

Violet eyes latch onto mine, the fire in them lighting my insides, but then it all sizzles out as her gaze quickly retracts.

The girl in my arms scurries off, her body latching onto her favourite person in the world. I don't blame her, considering she's my favourite person on the whole earth as well.

Alairia drops the bins she was carrying and scoops Molly up like a doll, laughing with her. It's like my entire universe in one shot, displayed in front of me as if I deserve it.

"Did you get a pass for today? I thought you used all of them already?" Alairia asks, setting Molly down and crouching in front of her.

"Well..." Molly fidgets, eyes cast down. "Not really."

Alairia grabs Molly's cheeks and squeezes them, making giggles erupt out of her.

"I was actually on my way to give these to you, but if you listen and go back nicely..." Alaira dangles a bag of what looks like sugar hearts in front of Molly's face. "You can take them now."

Molly jumps with joy, her eight year old body so full of energy it's insane.

"Thank you! I'll eat them on my way back!" She looks back at me and waves before adding, "Bye, Alpha Caden!" Then, giving Alairia one last hug, says, "I'll you tomorrow, right?"

Alairia nods with a giant smile. "Of course."

Molly giggles, and then she's gone, her legs carrying her faster than her wolf ever could.

Awkward silence follows her departure, and I shift on my feet before asking, "How are you?"

She picks her bins back up, hefting them back up onto her hip.

"I'm fine," she says as she turns to start walking again.

"Not even returning the question today?" I ask as I start walking next to her, the smell of fresh cookie dough emanating from her almost making my knees buckle. "Is something wrong?"

She doesn't answer me, bumping the bins back up when they slide down her hip.

"Would you like help with those?" I ask, trying desperately to keep a smirk from rising.

The bins fall again, and her little growl of frustration makes my heart tilt slightly.

I stop in front of her, making her halt as my hands reach to gently grab the bins, my gaze holding her eyes as I say, "Alairia."

Her eyes stay glued to the ground as she replies, "Caden."

Heat travels down, down, down, as it always does every time she says my name.

"I'm helping you with this, so if you could release the death grip, I would appreciate it," I say.

She pulls back on the bins, a stubborn look on her face as she says, "I'm perfectly capable of carrying them."

My lips twitch, a smirk almost tilting them.

"I know you are," I say, pulling harder and finally getting them into my hands. "But so am I."

She huffs, scurrying to catch up as I start to walk away.

"They need to go to the Red Hall. I had an event last week that required pink tablecloths, but I didn't have any, so I borrowed them from the hall. I promised I would return them on Wednesday, and now it's Thursday, so if you could walk a little faster?"

I finally let my smirk free as I say, "My pace is solely for your benefit, cupcake."

Her cheeks darken at the nickname, and my smirk climbs higher.

Looks like I just found a new nickname, and as I walk beside her to Red Hall, I think of all the ways I could use it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.1K 6.5K 51
Book 5 in Elder series Red is both on the run and looking to settle down. After escaping her previous pack and brainwashed, now rejected mate, her ta...
37.1K 2.9K 36
"What you need Redric is someone to fuck some common sense into you" she spat glaring at him. "I am going to enjoy breaking you my little queen, rip...
1.3M 9.5K 11
Avery Williams - a regular pack member. Trent Denver - the alpha. They don't get along, her being too hard-headed and him believing whatever he says...
1M 42.9K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...