wish // 5SOS

By 5sosxruel

BOOK SIX IN GABI-VERSE calum focussed Charlie was no stranger to...being a stranger. That's kind of what ha... More

1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49

3

373 28 9
By 5sosxruel

Calum

"Oh I am glad to be seeing you today,"

"Not many of my patients say that,"

"Well, I had to proper argue with my doctor for a referral,"

"That's not good. Have a seat, I am Dr Hood,"

"Felicity,"

"What seems to be the problem?" I asked, sitting down.

"Well, I keep having this back pain, and headaches, and well... well I find it difficult to go to the toilet now. I have had kidney stones before but this is different. I feel like I am going crazy!"

"You're not going crazy, I promise. Had there ever been blood in your urine?"

"Yeah. That is what made me book my gp appointment but he just said it was all my period,"

"Hm. Doesn't sound like it to me. Do you mind if I take your blood pressure?"

"Sure,"

Carefully, I took it, noting it down. Unfortunately, I found it quite common that I had a consultation and they had been written off with something else- usually something stupid to have been told.

"Is it okay if I press your stomach and round the sides?"

"Yeah," she said, laying down, "It has been awful laying down trying to sleep,"

"I am sorry to hear that. Can you let me know if any of this hurts?"

"There,"

"Okay. There is definitely something going on! There could be a couple of different things, so I am gonna order you a blood test and an ultrasound to get a better look. A urine sample too, if you can. A nurse will call you from the waiting room,"

"Perfect. Thank you so much for seeing me,"

"Of course, I should have the results soon,"

She shook my hand and left, so I cleaned up; it was always good to have a positive start to the day. It made the rest a lot easier, especially after waking up so early.
There were a few more consults, then I did rounds, and wrote up my notes. At lunch, Ashton came and found me, also dragging me round to find Luke and Michael.

"Sorry about those two yesterday, they're always bickering,"

"It's alright. They're still teenagers technically,"

"Yeah. I really don't know how to feel about Isak but she seems happy, and she is stubborn, I can't tell her to break up," 

"I am sure if something was ever really wrong she would tell us, but he does sound like a douche. Luke!"

"Oh hey,"

"Lunch?"

"Yep. How's your day been?"

"Good,"

"Same, I have surgery in an hour. Think the kids are gonna be on their own tonight, although pretty sure Ax is studying and Ally is out with Isak,"

"Look at them being all sociable,"

"I know, I rather like it. It's a shame their old friends all moved away really,"

"They will reconnect, Gabi's whole group are coming to the wedding!"

"That will be lovely. Even Julian?"

"Oh yes, they are flying him out,"

"Wow,"

"I think I spoilt my daughter a little too much," he laughed, "Where is Mike?"

"No clue, we couldn't find him,"

"Probably somewhere performing miracles on a baby,"

"Surprised he doesn't have hearing loss from all the screaming involved,"

"I am surprised you don't," I said, "Gabi could scream if she wanted,"

"I suppose so,"

We queued up and grabbed lunch, then found a table and all three of us ate in silence, because we didn't give ourselves chance to speak. Long gone were the days we could run around for hours on coffee and a granola bar.

About halfway through, my phone started ringing, so I excused myself and went to the bathroom as it was the closest, quietest place. And, it was the social worker.

"Hello?"

"Hiya Calum. How are you doing?"

"Good thank you. On my lunch break,"

"Sorry to cut in! I was just ringing to see if your room is ready yet? If not then no worries, I just suddenly got overwhelmed with a few cases, and was wondering if you can take anyone tonight?"

"That shouldn't be an issue. Do I need to take time off work or do they go to school nearby?"

"They go to school, but I suggest taking tomorrow off to settle. It's looking at about a months stay? Is that okay?"

"More than okay,"

"Great. So it is a 17 year old girl, called Charlotte. She attends Greenstone Academy, and she has all the uniform she needs. I will send some information over, but it is a no-contact situation with the parent for now,"

"Alright. Does she have a favourite colour or anything?"

"Pink. She is rather chatty, but she has been through a lot of neglect so just make sure you give her lots of encouragement,"

"Will do,"

"There is just... one more thing, and I chose this pair for a reason... she is pregnant. She reckons 6 months,"

"That is fine,"

"I have a list of things she needs, but she knows herself better than I do. I hope that is all okay?"

"Yeah, when should I expect you guys to come?"

"Around half five? Her favourite food is spaghetti bolognese,"

"Noted. Thank you,"

"See you later,"

I smiled a little bit to myself, knowing that hopefully I could give Charlotte a comfortable space of her own for even just a short while, and went back to the table. They could tell from my face.

"Go on,"

"A 17 year old girl is coming tonight. Her favourite colour is pink so I am gonna go and grab her a new blanket, and maybe some headphones incase she doesn't have any,"

"She will get along with Ally!"

"Yeah... she is pregnant too. 6 months,"

"Oh wow, really? Bless her,"

"Let's hope we can get a dress quickly,"

"Reckon she would be up for a wedding?"

"Apparently she is chatty, we shall see. If not I am sure my mum would come and give her company," I said, "This is teaching me not to be married to my job,"

"Finally,"

"I hope she's had all the care she needs, oh bless. That much be so stressful,"

"Agreed," Luke said, "If not then we have our own miracle performer, like we said,"

"Yep. I should get back to work,"

"Me too,"

"Good luck on your surgery," I smiled, "Not that you need it, Ash,"

"Thank you. Good luck tonight,"

I had a few more appointments for the day, then had to change a couple of catheters to finish the day off. Once I had my bag, I headed out to the car and went to the store to find a few bits. I got a blanket, and managed to find some pink headphones too, then bought some slippers and a pink cup for her to have as her own.

Cutting it short on time, I got home and put it all in her room, then changed, finishing as the doorbell rang.

"Hello! Come in,"

I smiled at them both, closing the door as they stepped inside. Charlotte was short, with dark hair, and multiple face piercings. She had thick, black eyeliner, and I was half convinced I had been lied to that her favourite colour was pink.

"I am Calum, it's nice to meet you,"

"I'm Charlie," she smiled, "Sorry but please can you tell me where the toilet is?"

"Through the kitchen,"

"Thank you,"

She dropped her bin bag and walked out the hall, so I picked it up and took the other ones from her social worker, putting them on the stairs instead.

"Pink?!"

"She doesn't wear pink, everything else? Pink,"

"I see,"

"You'll love her,"

We waited for her to get back and she bid goodbye to the social worker, then I locked the front door and offered to hang her jacket up.

"You have a very nice kitchen,"

"Thank you! Would you like to see your room?"

"Yes please. I think I might sort out my clothes so that they don't get creased,"

"That's alright. Maybe I can cook spag bol while you do that?"

"Really? I would love that. Your house is just so nice, wow,"

"I try my best," I laughed, "Here is your room. I got you a blanket and some other bits, and there are some toiletries but if you need anything at all then let me know,"

"Perfume! Wow, I have been dying for some perfume, Calum. Thank you so much,"

"You're welcome honey. I will be downstairs yeah? I will let you settle in,"

"Do you have a phone charger by any chance?"

"Yeah, give me a second,"

I grabbed one from my bedroom and plugged it in for her, watching her face light up.

"My phone has been dead for like, 3 days. I have been so bored. I don't have any books anymore, you see, and... sorry. I am talking so much,"

"It's okay. If you want to come and talk while I cook then be my guest, we can unpack later,"

"Are you sure?"

"I am sure. Unpacking can always wait,"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 6.5K 27
Calum was an only child and liked it that way. His dad walked out on him when he turned 14 leaving him and his mom all alone and completely heartbrok...
107K 3.1K 60
With Gabi and Luke being practically inseparable, they really were 'like father like daughter'. They'd always done things together, for Luke was her...
25.3K 1K 40
SEQUEL to serendipity Michael always found there was a honeymoon phase after adoption. Kids behaved, everyone played together nicely, and everything...
32.1K 1.1K 29
PREQUEL TO SERENDIPITY A new home meant a new identity was possible. New friends, new clothes, hell even a new name. You had to expect the unexpecte...