What Universe is This Again?

By Allioune24

"I can feel it!" exclaimed Lophe, the pope of Obelia's current religion. "The new Empress and the Saint of Ob... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII

XXXI

1K 88 2
By Allioune24

Claude could still remember the words that Athanasia spoke a few weeks ago. While he had a very frank son, her daughter was just like Diana. Brazen yet careful with her words.

If I answered her truthfully, would I hear more words from her?

He could clearly remember Diana. Their memories are still in his heart, making him live even more.

He stared at the portrait that was being drawn right now. It was something Claude never imagined one of them would ask. If Yhan was present, he'd be roasting him for sure. After that, he was the type of man who did not give a damn about nonsense like this.

And yet...

Just remembering how Athanasia smiled at him in the same way Diana did made him agree without hesitation or reservation.

For as long as she's happy. As long as they're both happy.

It was enough for him. He'll give his everything to make sure they're living a happy life. Even if he would be miserable until the end.

He stared at th portrait being made.

This should be finished before he comes back. It'll be good if both of them open it together.

"Where is she?"

Just thinking about that thought excites him.

"She is at the garden, Your Majesty. She is with the other young ladies."

He looked out the window, but he had an uneasy feeling that something bad was about to happen.

.

.

"Finally."

Ayhan gazed at the world tree that was trembling before him right now.

"Woah. This bastard acts as if he didn't know me."

Cheapskate: Hey, World Tree, it has been a while.

Even though Yhan has yet to act, the world tree has continued to tremble.

Cheapskate: Shall we set fire to the house for the sake of nostalgia?

World Tree: YOU BASTARD!!! YOU BURNED MY ALTER EGO ONCE, AND NOW YOU WANT TO DO IT AGAIN!!!

Cheapskate: Well. You should start croaking what needs to be croaked right now.

Yhan smirked and reached out to touch the world tree. "Now, give me what I need, or I will burn you again."

The cheapskate enjoyed bullying the world tree, no matter what world it was!

Lucas could only frown as he observed the Imperial Prince's ease in making the World Tree grovel before him. If that were him, he would be fighting the world tree for eons while staring at them.

Why am I even here?

.

.

It's boring when Yhannie's not around, so Athanasia was thankful for the tea parties for the past few weeks. Claude made sure she would make some friends and she did. Jennette was also enjoying her time, although Claude's action towards her was still laced with hostility.

Especially, Jennette was making effort to get close to them. She likes the blue ribbon Jennette gave her as a gift.

I've finished my part of our prank. Yhannie should get home soon. Claude's birthday is just around the corner.

They planned on throwing a garden party for him and doing the prank they've been planning for a while now.

She sat on the chair but when Raven arrived to play, the tea party became a full-fledged affair. The ladies were taken aback, and some were terrified, but Raven was such a good boy!

Athy was wearing a blue dress and the blue satin ribbon that Jennette gave her as a gift when she came back to the palace.

It was supposed to be a merry day when she felt some static between her and Raven.

*spark!*

Her chest throbbed so much.

She buckled down.

"Princess?" Felix was about to take her in his arms when she began coughing up blood.

"PRINCESS!"

A bright white light flashed before them. Everyone was pushed back, including Felix, who was left unprotected.

"What happened?'

Ron and Alver also arrived and saw the princess surrounded by light.

"Contact his Highness!" Ron said to another butler.

.

.

"Your Majesty! Your Majesty! Something's wrong!"

Claude turned around. He felt a strong surge of mana coming nearby.

"The Princess!"

His mind went blank.

ATHANASIA!

.

.

The god of death stood in front of Yhan again. He stared at him and asked, "So... how can I reseal him again?"

Now that the Book of Death is useless, there must be some kind of new medium to seal the Sealed God.

"Take a leaf from the World Tree of each world and seal that fragment on it," the god of death said after a brief stare.

"You are telling me to make paper?" Shouldn't he need the trunk rather than the leaves?

World Tree: You cretins!!!! It will be the end of the world if you cut me!

It makes no difference whether you are alive or dead, Cheapskate. Keke.

The world tree had fallen silent after that. The God of Death shook his head and looked at him once more.

"I can barely track the Sealed God. But the person after your family in your current world possesses a fragment," GoD said, "You'll soon awaken your blood's power so it would be easy for you to seal the Sealed God."

"And?"

"Some kind of otherworldly god is trying to make contact with you."

Yhan smiled and said, "It doesn't matter. I have to get back soon, so I can't beat you up."

"You should go back... The story you are in now is attempting to set up the previous set up it is doing."

Everything has a cost. Yhan was well aware of everything.

"I know."

"Roksu," the god of death asked, "Are you happy in that world?" Yhan looked at him as if he had heard something strange.

"You were meant to be in Cale's world but you were never really happy." the god of death spoke.

"Does my happiness matter?"

"You could have saved me from the beginning, and I would not be living this way," Yhan said.

"Guh!" Yhan exclaimed, his chest throbbing.

"What is wrong?" Lucas inquired.

"Go back," he said. "I need to go back," he said, having completed his business.

The thread he had tied around Athanasia snapped.

"I must return."

The World Tree trembled when Yhan tore a twig with leaves from it.

.

.

*GASPS!*

Athanasia woke up from her long slumber. Her body was in pain, and her chest was heavy.

"It's been ten days now."

She was relieved at first. "Has Lucas come back?"

They fell silent, both Lily and Felix.

"What about Dad?"

'His Majesty fell unconscious ten days ago and still hasn't woken up.'

I need to see him. I need to check.

'There was no way to bring the mana back under control, so he's majesty."'

He risked his life for me.

She was worried; she wanted to get to him and thank God for Felix.

"I'd rather bring you there myself, Princess."

When she went there, Claude was lying motionless, like a dead man.

She couldn't understand why. Why did he risk his life for her? Why? Why? Why?

Countless why replayed inside her head.

Sacrifice is one of the purest and most selfless ways to love someone.

Claude shouldn't be doing that.

Forgiveness breaks the chain of causality because the one who forgives you, out of love, takes upon himself the consequences of what you have done.

Claude shouldn't be going this far for her at all.

Forgiveness, therefore, always entails a sacrifice.

They were the reason why his life was miserable.

The price you must pay for your liberation through another's sacrifice is that you in turn must be willing to liberate in the same way, irrespective of the consequences to yourself.

Yet... he came to save her. He came to the end of his life.

He was a prisoner.

A prisoner of his love.

He should be happy she'd die as a price for love they've taken away.

Why? Why? Just why?

"Dad..." Her voice was so sad, she continued to call out to him, "Wake up, Daddy."

If Yhan was here? What would he do?

Her mind is going blank. She just called for Claude like a broken child who wanted answers.

She continued to miserably call Claude but he wouldn't move. She kneeled silently. She did not speak nor move, she just waited.

Her eyes are blurry; she felt so hot all over and she could feel the numbness on her legs. But she just kneeled there motionless. Not until warm hands cupped his curled fist and a subtle movement from her father.

She gazed down and saw the same bejeweled glim.

"Daddy?"

But Claude's action made her silent. He took his hand back, groaning in pain while massaging his forehead.

"What?"

Athanasia suddenly felt her entire body stiffen. Claude glared at her as if she were his enemy.

"Who are you?"

What? What are you saying? Why are you asking me that?

She stared at him. Her voice was somewhat restrained. She felt like crying at how Claude treated her right now.

"I asked, who are you?" Claude became restless and almost shouted at her. She flinches in both fear and at loss as Calude's voice became even more colder and sharper.

Instead of calling out to her, he called out to Felix.

Athanasia couldn't understand a thing.

Claude had been denying her existence. He had been accusing her of whatever damnation he's reciting. His gaze...

He's not my daddy.

He's not her and Yhannie father.

He's a different person.

Her heart began to crumble into pieces. She thought that they're already living their happiest but—

Please tell me... this is just a nightmare.

She wanted to scream. She wanted to asked him again who she was but she's scared.

"Daddy."

"Do you wish to die?"

*babump*

Claude looked down on her like some pest he's ready to kill anytime.

"Just who do you think you're talking to?"

How I wished I heard those words before... that way I could hate you.

"Sure. I can tell from your eyes that you are of Royal Blood. Then perhaps gouging your eyes would stop you from babbling such reckless thing?"

Was there ever a time he apple to me like this?

"Wait?" He stood up, "Why is my mana inside a wench—kegh!"

He fell on his knees and began coughing blood. Athanasia stared at him wishing this was just another of his outburst. She couldn't understand a thing. She couldn't accept this.

Why? Why? Why is this happening to me?

If you value your life at all, you will not let even a single of hair leave your palace. If you show yourself before me one more time. I will kill you.

She was spared for some reason but she was to be locked away forever.

"At times like this, was I abnormally happy until now?"

She wasn't even allowed to get ready for it. She continued to reflect and understand everything. She tried reaching for someone's hand but Yhan's wasn't there.

At the time that she needed someone most, she didn't have anyone to hold on right now.

It's because I didn't heed Lucas's words.

She thought everything was fine. She believed she could get through it without incident... in the end.

I caused this to happen.

Things keep disappearing... Her precious possessions are being taken away from her.

Come home soon, Yhannie.

.

.

Felix tried everything he could to make Claude remember, but it was futile.

Claude even conducts background checks on everything and continues to deny the existence of his children.

Twin. then.. Where is the other one?

He can not stop thinking about that girl's expression when he first woke up. His heart lurched with unbearable pain as he tried to recall something his mind could not recall.

His attention went to the armchairs in his office.

"Why are those armchairs over there? No one stays long enough in my study to need a seat."

"It was brought so that Princess Athanasia and Prince Ayhan could be seated when they come to visit you sire, and the table next to yours is also for the Imperial Prince," Felix replied.

"What?"

"You specifically requested that it be made to ensure maximum comfort when they are seated."

Claude could not help but frown.

Did I do that? Did I really do that?

He continued to wonder about things but...

Why is everything related to her or the other twin?!

Even Felix is becoming weird as well. Utterly nonsense!

Madness, total madness. Either I've gone mad or Felix has.

Claude continued to deny everything that Felix had been telling him. There's no way he'd be that kind to anyone.

But everything changes when he sees the portrait painted by the Royal Painter.

He was sitting on a chair, with two children standing close behind him.

A portrait of a solemn but kind face stood before him, as did two children with blonde hair similar to his. One has blue eyes, while the other has reddish-brown eyes.

What on earth is going on?

His heart stammered at the sight of the portrait.

Why do I have that expression on my face?

Even he was confused.

I was bewitched! There's no other explanation! I should bring those brats in to be killed at once!

He stared at it for a while. His mind went blank and his head began to hurt even more.

"Dad. I have a wish."

"I want a portrait painted of us."

"You, Me, and Yhannie together, just like other portraits of royal families."

Why should I think about this any further? It if bothers me, I should get rid of it.

He continued to chant like a madman, but his heart ached even more than his head had.

Why would a mere painting matter?

.

.

Yet a lonely Athanasia continues to wait for Claude at their usual special place to have tea.

Three teacups were already served, with two empty seats before her.

And a bitter, lonely smile decorated the princess's face.

TBC

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 9.6K 47
Everyone is dreaming to be loved, deserving to be treated fairly and just but for a 19 years old omega male like Xiao Zhan, love is like an unreachab...
211K 15K 48
All I could see, was darkness as a strong sound hit my ear. . . . "husband?" I opened my eyes, saw the face of a beautiful brown haired woman. ...
350K 30.3K 110
In the alleyways of Yiling, there was an abandoned child who did his best to survive. Everyday, he scoured for food and fought dogs who hurted him. I...
222K 9.1K 40
"I want you." With a touch as light as a feather, Cillian hooked a thick finger under her chin to get a better look at her face. "Look at me." Slowly...