Sea and Serpent (PJO/HP)

By MEW291

Amaryllis Potter never fit in, but neither did her brother Harry. She always had unexplainable things happen... More

Chapter 1. The letter
Chapter 2. Keepsake
Chapter 3. Empathy
Chapter 4. Magic? Or coincidence?
Chapter 5. You're a witch
Chapter 6. Diagon Alley
Chapter 7. Not so good start
Chapter 8. NOT an owl and a rare core
Chapter 9. Platform 9¾
Chapter 10. Train ride
Chapter 11. Sorting hat
Chapter 12. First day of classes Part 1
Chapter 13. First day of classes Part 2
Chapter 14. Flying? I think not
Chapter 15. Hospital Wing
Chapter 16. Library and an annoyance
Chapter 17. The professors are... confusing
Chapter 19. Gryffindor vs Slytherin
Chapter 20. Nicholas Flamel?

Chapter 18. Giant squid and a troll

311 10 0
By MEW291

September had seemed to fly by— and not in the ‘off the ground’ feeling either—by the time late October came. Halloween had seemed not exist in the wizarding world, but Amaryllis hadn’t fancied the holiday before either. The dressing up, masks, and creatures that kids and older people dressed up as was eerie and similar to the things she had seen, that she had begun to dislike the holiday and the only time she cared to not leave the house while Dudley and her aunt and uncle went out.

While the weather had grown chiller, and seemed to be more cloudy than not, it hadn’t stormed since that day. It was the only good thing she had found during that month.

Much to Amaryllis delight.

And no matter how little Hermione and Susan found, they hadn’t given up, as the former requested some books from her parents. Amaryllis wasn’t sure how much regular books would help when there was a whole witch side to her.

On the other hand, she had to worry about Harry’s new adventurous side that took a deep dive into what Hagrid seemed to have brought to the school. For a big burly giant, he didn’t have a filter when one distracted him on a topic that he enjoyed, and brought it full circle back to what you wanted to know. It was astounding, yet concerning since Professor Dumbledore entrusted him with a task that was kept under wraps—tightly. And it only took at minimum, one first-year with wits and determinations to get the one who knew just enough, to spill enough that kept Harry intrigued and further onto his theory. And Amaryllis didn’t think he was wrong, per se, but she didn’t think Professor Snape was as suspicious as they thought. Weird, rude, and confusing, yes, but not suspicious.

So when they wanted to frolic the corridors of the school on whatever scenario they had thought up, Amaryllis had gotten Fred and George to tell her how to get into the kitchen—with a deal that involved putting a dung bomb in the corridor at a certain time—and made her way to the lake. She had a debate for a while as to verbally thanking the giant squid or not, and the guilt she felt at not acknowledging the giant squid won. It was also the other weird phenomenon that she couldn’t solve. Liking sea creatures was different than them actually seeming to do the same. It was rare to be saved by a sea creature in the midst of danger, but she hadn’t been in the sea at that time, but off the ground. Hermione and Amelia chalked it down to the giant squid being a magical creature, protecting Hogwarts students from what it thought danger was.

Amaryllis wasn’t sure if she believed that fully. It felt more than that to her and with nothing else to go off, it was the only thing she could lead with. It was why she walked down to the lake by herself, needing some time to herself—and not seem crazy, with wrapped fish in her hand to feed to the squid.

Stopping a foot from the edge of the lake, Amaryllis sat down on the ground that had become cooler with the weather. The surface of the water rippled with the wind that blew across, making her auburn hair blow in her face. She tucked the thin strands that brushed against her face, tickling her skin.

The lake was deeper than she thought as the edge was shallow, and light, grower darker the further down it went until she couldn’t see anything beyond the dark murky water. She knew it would have been deep, to hold a giant squid, but until it had saved her, she hadn’t given it thought to just how huge it was. Her gaze flickered to the field further up where the flying class had taken place, picturing a tentacle reach from the depths of the lake and toward the field. She—Amaryllis paused, unsure why calling the squid a she felt right, but it did—wasn’t just giant, but enormous. Either magic made certain creatures larger, or the depth of the lake was unknown to many who had written the history books.

“You are something magnificent,” Amaryllis mumbled, turning her gaze back to stare over the lake.

A ripple came from the middle, spreading out in steady waves.

She stared down at the wrapped fish in her hand that the house elves were gracious to prepare for her. “I wanted to thank you, ya know, for saving me when I got struck by that lightning. I brought something from the kitchen, and well, I’m honestly not sure what squids prefer, but brought fish. I read that you eat them, but everyone is different, no?”

Opening the package of fish, Amaryllis tossed them as far out as she could. She doubted the giant squid even knew she was there. The ripple of water could be from the countless other creatures she knew inhabited the lake.

The water rippled more with movements. A tentacle broke the surface, rising into the air that moved back and forth; as if it waved at her. Waves swashed the grass at her feet, and the tentacle moved closer. A mound took shape on the surface of the water, and Amaryllis could see the reddish purple shape of a squid with a tint of blue from the light that broke through the water. Dark blue grey orbs stared up at her; sharp and glittering. Mesmerizing.

‘Thank you, My Lady.’

Amaryllis’s eyes widened. Had she heard right? Did the squid… just talk to her? “You can hear me?” Her eyebrows furrowed further. “I can understand you? I mean… can witches understand animals? Harry could talk to that snake, so it’s not… weird, right? I didn’t think to add this to what I should be looking for.”

‘It is normal for you, My Lady.’

That didn’t make her feel any better. And it didn’t answer any question either. “What do you mean, normal for me? Last I knew, it wasn’t normal for witches or wizards to speak animals, unless they’re a descendant of Salazar. Which I don’t think either me or Harry are.”

‘You’ll learn soon enough. Be steadfast, My Lady. Prepare yourself. Remember, the sea never wavers.’

Amaryllis frowned, staring at the squid with a perplexed expression. “What does that mean?”

The squid didn’t respond. She only stared back at her with her glittering eyes that seemed to change colors as clouds darkened the water and gave way to light again. If Amaryllis hadn’t kept track of the question she asked, she felt it would have swept away, just as the squid had descended back into the lake.

Amaryllis quickly leaned over the lake, gripping the edges of the soft dirt as the water lapped across her skin. Her eyes desperate, and pleading for the squid to give anything else. “No. Wait.”

Her words did nothing to stop the squid.

The squids colors changed the further she went, matching the dark waters that surrounded her. The last thing Amaryllis could discern was the sorrow and sympathy in the depths of the squids dark orbs.

Her fingers dug into the dirt. All she had gotten was that she wasn’t normal. Not in the world of muggles, and neither the wizarding. What was normal then? And why did it have to be her that wasn’t normal?

The water calmed the longer she sat there, staring down at the water, yet not seeing beyond the steady surface that glistened when the sun hit and broke through the barrier. Amaryllis didn’t care what lay beneath. What could have been watching her below with the same pitying gaze she couldn’t get out of her mind. She didn’t know the squid, and yet the squid seemed to hold more answers than it gave her.

What did she have to do to get them? Beg? Plead in front of the lake everyday as she was?

“Liss? What’s wrong?”

Amaryllis turned to her brother. The corner of her lips turned toward into a smile as she watched him wall toward her with a worried expression, Ron right beside him.

“Nothing. What is it?”

Harry didn’t seem to believe a word she said, but didn’t question it further. “Susan said she hadn’t seen you in a while and it’s almost dinner.”

She hadn’t noticed time had slipped by or the sun creep behind the trees, casting shadows across the grounds of Hogwarts. Behind the thoughts and questions, everything else didn’t seem to matter, but the answers she desperately wanted.

“Sorry. I lost track of time being by the water.”

“You sure love the water.” Ron mumbled, staring at the lake that seemed uninteresting and boring.

Amaryllis rolled her eyes. “Everyone has their own fascination, Ron. I just happen to like what dwells below the water.”

“The giant squid? You like that thing?”

Amaryllis’s eyes narrowed to slits at Ron. The knot in her stomach grew, coiling tighter the more his words replayed in her mind. “It’s not a thing, Ron. It’s a squid that has feelings just like you. How would you like to be called that thing?”

Ron’s eyes widened at her.

“I don’t think the squid liked You calling it a thing either, Ron.” Harry laughed lightly, trying to appease the atmosphere.

Amaryllis quirked a brow at her brother, glancing over her shoulder at the lake where the once calm water had turned choppy. The anger towards Ron turned to confusion at the abrupt turn in change of the water. The water slowly settled back into a seemingly flat surface once again that moment.

“I don’t like that th–squid either.”

Water splashed toward them, hitting Ron in the face and catching Harry since he was standing right beside him.

“I don’t think she likes you either,” Amaryllis informed with a laugh.

Ron’s bewildered eyes met hers. “She? The squid is a she?”

Amaryllis raised a brow. “Got a problem with her?”

Ron gulped. His eyes glanced from the lake, as if the squid would splash him again, and back to hers. Shock and alarm mixed together in a whirlwind of apprehension. He slowly shook his head at her.

“It’s okay, Ron,” Harry said, smiling at his friend with a smirk. “Maybe one day you can reconcile.”

“I don’t think that’ll happen, Harry.”

Amaryllis rolled her eyes, and began walking past them. “Didn’t you two say it was almost dinner? Let’s go. I’m hungry.”

“Probably cause you skipped lunch,” Ron mumbled behind her.

“What was that Ron?”

“Hm? Nothing.”

Harry chuckled as she continued to walk toward the castle.

Ron hadn’t muttered another word about the squid on their way back, only about food and exploding snap that he wanted to play later. A game she hadn’t played, but heard viciously through a few other Hufflepuff’s that played the game. Cards that exploded in their hands at random and a quick play to discard them before they did. She didn’t see the fun in that. Wizarding chess, yes. That was something she had begun to like that Susan introduced to them. It had intrigued her and Amelia enough that they played at least two games every night.

The Great Hall was already crowded with most of the students sitting around chatting and eating by the time they made it there. She waved quickly to Susan and Amelia that waved when she walked in, and made her way to the Gryffindor table. Many of them had gotten used to her being there that none batted an eyelid or glanced in their direction.

“How’s it–”

“–going, Mells?”

Amaryllis didn’t glance at the twins as she responded, “Alright. You two?”

“Fantastic. Got somethi—”

“What have you two got going now?” Percy Weasley stood behind them, glaring down at the twins that didn’t look the least bit guilty. “You could loose us more house points than we already have.”

“Oh, did you hear that Fred?”

“I did, George. Perce here

“You know what I mean.”

“Do we, George?”

“I don’t think we do. Please, enlighten us.”

Amaryllis watched the twins get their brother, Percy, going. The way his arguments were valid, yet the twins didn’t care. She had easily picked up how they loved to prank, invent, and create products that took a twist from the pranks she knew. Though, she loved their version. It wasn’t bland, nor flashy. It held an aspect that didn’t hurt others—unless you were the victim of their tests—but either brought laughter in the halls, or a mildly satisfying feeling when Filch became angry at a mess. She didn’t understand why he had it out for most students, besides those like Fred and George that caused mischief everywhere they walked, but even those who he caught stepping a toe out of line. She hadn’t had the pleasure of crossing paths with him, but was sure it would happen at one point in her time at Hogwarts.

Trouble always seemed to find her in some way.

“Do they always argue like that?”

Ron hummed in question since his mouth was full. He swallowed before answering with a shrug. “Yeah. Bit old if you ask me.”

Amaryllis watched Percy walk away while the twins smirked over at her, telling her all about what they had planned and their next invention. She listened as she filed her plate with food, intervening when she had a thought about what they were making. Harry joined in, much to Ron’s dissatisfaction at encouraging their behavior their mother didn’t like.

Fred and George left with Lee with a twinkle in their eyes when they were done. Her gaze swept across the Gryffindor table, noticing a missing figure that usually sat near her brother and Ron. A feeling tugged at her chest

“Where’s Hermione?”

Ron pressed his lips together and glanced at Harry. The latter didn’t speak up, but seemed to stare back at Ron pointedly.

Amaryllis narrowed her eyes at Ron. Sweat formed near his hairline, trailing down the side of his face as silence crept up between them, deafening, even against the noise around them.

“We haven’t seen her since earlier.”

“Did you say something?”

Ron didn’t answer. Which was more than enough for Amaryllis to deduce that he had. The question was, what?

“What did you say?”

Ron’s expression turned dubious. He opened his mouth to say something, then closed it when nothing came out.

“You’re unbelievable, Ron.” Amaryllis didn’t wait for a response. She scoffed, and sent Ron one last glare as she got up and made her way out of the hall. Ron’s voice seemed to carry over the others in the Great Hall when she left. It angered her more when he asked Harry what he had done wrong.

Her footsteps echoed in the hall as she headed to the one spot she thought Hermione would go to; the girls bathroom. It was a hideaway even she sought in school when someone wanted to pick on her and call her names because she couldn’t read. She was sure Ron had said something close, if not, right on the line of what she had received. And the words ate away at the one who received them.

The door creaked slightly when Amaryllis walked in and the soft sniffles subside she had heard outside the door subsided quickly.

“Hermione? It’s Rhylie.”

Another sniffle and the cracked voice from Hermione shot through amaryllis’ chest. “I’ll be right out.”

“You don’t have to do that.” Amaryllis stepped further into the bathroom. The door shut behind her, creaking softly that echoed in the small area. Her footsteps did the same as she made her way to the frame of the stalls, leaning against them as she spoke. “I know Ron said something. I’m not sure what and you don’t have to say it either. But when I noticed you hadn’t shown up for dinner, he had that look on his face that told me it was because of him. So, I came here, to find you.”

“How did you know I’d be here?”

Amaryllis sighed. “Because I used to do the same thing.”

Hermione’s voice was still strained through the wooden stall, yet it had tightened with anger as she spoke louder. “You’re dyslexia, right? People are downright cruel.”

Amaryllis chuckled softly. “They are. And Ron is no exception. He’s a right git for whatever he said, and he doesn’t deserve a friend like you, but that choice is yours to make.”

It was the light laugh Hermione let out that eased the ache in her chest. “You’re a great friend, Rhylie. Harry is lucky you have you as a sister.”

“He is, isn’t?” Amaryllis joked, smiling to herself as she stared at the wall.

“Do you think their still doing dinner?”

“If they aren’t, I know a way into the kitchen to get some food.”

Amaryllis waited for the gasp and lecture on going somewhere most students shouldn’t go, but it never came. The door to the stall opened, making Amaryllis stand up and face Hermione who had come out. Her eyes were red and puffy, but she still held a smile that was more plastered on her face than genuine. “If it keeps me from seeing that git, Ron for a little while. I’ll take it.”

“Le—” Amaryllis was cut off as the door creaked open. They both turned to face who had entered, and Amaryllis heart leaped, then dropped to the pit of her stomach as she stared a grotesque, twelve-foot tall creature. His nose was short and thin nose with big floppy ears that stuck out. His skin appeared leathery and a belly that hung out more than her Uncle Vernon’s, which she found surprising, and brown hide that hung down from around his waist.

She stood there frozen, not knowing what to do or how it had even got into the castle, but she didn’t know any spells that would work on it.

“Rhylie.”

Amaryllis didn’t have time to glance over at Hermione as it raised its arm, and she noticed the long wooden club in its hand. She didn’t know if that was what Hermione had noticed, but neither had time to question it when it swung.

Her screams mixed with Hermione’s that echoed in the bathroom as they ducked. The shattering of wood and splinters flew across the room, hitting them and bouncing off the walls.

“I’ll distract it,” Hermione suggested, even though her voice shook. “You go and get help when it moves from the door.”

Amaryllis watched at Hermione slowly stepped toward the ruined stalls, watching the troll with cautious eyes. That same feeling from the Zoo formed in her gut, building as she was caught between ignoring Hermione’s words and fighting something she didn’t know how. “Are you insane, Hermione? I’m not leaving you here with that thing by yourself.”

“It’s a troll. They’re dumb and won’t know which of us to choose, giving you enough time to get out. I can handle it, Rhylie.”

Hermione might have been right. The troll didn’t seem to know which one to target as it’s beady eyes glanced between them both. It looked conflicted, turning slightly before changing its mind.

Whether it was Hermione’s too quick of a movements, or the troll had finally made up its mind, it swung.

“Hermione,” Amaryllis yelled. The tug in her stomach became too much to ignore, and Amaryllis pulled at that feeling as the troll swung at Hermione.

Water burst from the sinks, sending porcelain scattering across the bathroom. Amaryllis and Hermione ducked, protecting their faces from the debris and wood splinters as the troll’s club tore through the remaining bathroom stalls and put a hole into the stone wall. The sound of the troll’s cries were garbled as water continued to splash around the whole bathroom, flooding the floor.

Amaryllis heard Hermione cast the levitation charm, and the club the troll held rose into the air above his head. It tried to grab for it, but was clumsily throwing its arms into the air and, failing to grab his club back. It let out a grumbles of annoyance, quickly turning its gaze toward her when it failed to reach it. Amaryllis glanced at Hermione, wondering when she’d let the club fall onto his head, knocking him out cold.

Hermione’s face was focused, hardened with concentration, yet she saw the lines of worries crease on her forehead.

“Hermione,” she called when the troll took two sloppy steps toward her. She shifted her feet apart, lowering her body and ready to… to what? She didn’t know. Charge the troll? Fight it? She didn’t fight the instincts that take over, but allowed them to flow through her.

Hermione called her name and she charged forward just as the troll reached for her. The club swung at the trolls head as she slide between its legs, and a loud thunk was heard behind her.

“Are you okay?”

Amaryllis turned to Hermione, whose gaze was on the troll’s body that lied on the bathroom floor; right where she had been standing. Hermione’s chest rose and fell with quick heavy breaths and her eyes were wide. Amaryllis was sure she felt similar, though everything seemed slow. The way her chest didn’t seem to rise as fast as Hermione’s and the way she had quickly moved though not fully understanding Hermione’s plan.

“Fine… I think.” A hollow chuckle escaped from them both as the door creaked open.

“Lissie. Hermione.”

Harry’s figure walled through the door first, followed by Ron. Their gaze flickered to the troll lying on the ground and back to them. Harry’s green eyes swirled with worry, taking three quick strides and bend down beside her as he glanced at Hermione. “Are you hurt? Either of you?”

“No,” Hermione replied, staring down at the floor.

“We’re okay. Hermione knocked it out.”

“Bloody hell,” Ron mumbled, stepping into the bathroom as he stared at the mess. “You fought a troll.”

Amaryllis stood, steadying herself and turned her heated glare to Ron, ready to tell him exactly what she thought of the situation they had dealt with. Her words were cut off by the door creaking open once again, and the sound of Professor McGonagall’s voice.

“What is going on here?”

Professor McGonagall walked just inside the bathroom while Professor Snape, Sprout, and Dumbledore stood near the entrance.

Professor Snape was the first to speak up before either her or Hermione could speak. “I believe we have found four students that decided to wander the halls when we send everyone to their dorms.”

“Prof—” Hermione began, but was cut off by Professor Dumbledore.

“It would seem they had found themselves very fortunate to not being hurt any further,” Dumbledore said, staring at her and Hermione. “However, it seems that Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley don’t seem to be harmed in the slightest. Which means they came after the troll was—” Dumbledore glanced to the troll— “knocked out.”

“First-years, taking on a troll? What were you two thinking?” Professor McGonagall questioned. She may have seemed angry, but it was her green eyes that gave away the worry and concern she truly felt.

Hermione spoke before she could, telling them she had wanted to find the troll once hearing about it, and Amaryllis finding her and not leaving, even against her suggestion, but Harry and Ron hadn’t shown up until after. It had made them loose fifty house points—each. But Amaryllis was glad it hadn’t been any worse.

“I think it’s been a long night. For everyone. Professor Sprout, would you take Ms. Granger and Ms. Potter to the infirmary, get them checked out before they get to their dorms. Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley, I think it best if you make your way back to your dorms.” Dumbledore suggested, not leaving room in his words for them to argue.

Amaryllis grabbed her brothers wrist when she saw him begin to object. She had already had enough trouble for one night, and her nor Hermione were hurt enough to warrant an argument, especially with Dumbledore or Professor Snape. She promised to see him at breakfast before classes and he reluctantly left with Ron, who looked back at them as they left with a guilty expression. Hermione didn’t even bother to respond to his gesture and neither had she. But she saw Harry’s expression when they rounded the corner to head to their dorm and she knew her brother wasn’t happy, even if they didn’t know that a troll would have wandered into the castle.

A/N: Who said something about short chapters?
I also had thought I would have finished this sooner, but alas, work and writing don't always go together. I am also up in the air who to ship Harry with. Cause I can go either Hermione or Ginny, as long as I make the chemistry right with either, but then it's who to ship Ron with. So, their interactions will vary as this fanfic is semi 'plot as I go' with certain scenarios and endings already in place.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143K 3K 24
It was a month after the Second Titan War, and Percy, Nico, and Thalia are reluctantly being sent to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry on a...
1K 58 61
Life isn't what she thought it would be. First, she moved to America to hide from her uncle, then her mother dies, then she's trapped in a casino, th...
762K 16.9K 16
Percy Jackson just won his own war, and now Chiron wants to send him, Annabeth, Nico and Thalia to a wizard school in England? Not to mention it's ca...