The War Bride

By Kim_Knights

Two neighboring clans. A raging war. Amidst the threat of defeat, the matriarch proposes a truce by marrying... More

1 | Onto the Battlefield
2 | The Marriage Truce
3 | The Bride
4 | An Inauspicious Marriage
5 | The War Groom
6 | The Lord
7 | Burying the Dead
8 | A Celebratory Banquet
9 | A Hostage Princess
10 | Ambush
11 | Friend or Foe
12 | Lies and Loyalty
13 | False Happiness
14 | Enemies Everywhere
15 | A Close Watch
16 | Admiration
17 | In the Library
18 | The Lord's Family
19 | A Woman's Hatred
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 1)
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 2)
20 | Vengeance
21 | Love Within Lies
22 | A Spark
24 | Starlight
Exclusive Chapter | Dai Yichen's Story (Part 3)
25 | A Reminder
26 | The Yue Clan
27 | The Birthday Banquet
28 | Tyrants
29 | The Blind Priestess
30 | A Change of Heart
31 | Beneath the Masks
32 | Determination
33 | The Hunt
34 | Nightfall Isles
35 | The Silent Wraith

23 | The Orphan Village

1.7K 186 71
By Kim_Knights

The carriage rocked and jostled over a rock-strewn path through a lush forest. Above the canopies, black ridges of massive mountains spanned the horizon.

Luwen stared down at her attire—just a plain brown blouse and trousers. She had tucked the hem of her trousers into black boots. The rest of the group wore similar outfits, including the lord. He pulled back his dark hair into a ponytail, revealing his sharp jawline and handsome features.

She sat with her knees tucked under, eyes wandering to the lord sitting next to her. "My lord, if we're dressed inconspicuously like this, where are we going? Why are we taking several wagons with us?" She squinted a little in his direction, attempting to unravel his intentions. "You're not planning to leave me here to fend for my own, aren't you?"

She spied a smile lurking on his lips. "We're delivering supplies to a small village in a valley," he answered. "Our men do this once a month."

"But why aren't we seated together with the rest of them back there?"

Dai Yichen avoided her gaze, appearing embarrassed to admit the truth. "I can't have you getting caught in the rain if it comes. It would be bad if you got another fever."

"I'm stronger than before, all because of the medicine you've gotten for me."

"I'm still not willing to take that risk."

A knowing smile worked its way to her lips. So much for being inconspicuous, she thought, but she wasn't complaining.

Her eyes remained on the lord, watching as he took in the breathtaking nature beyond the window. In her hands, she held onto the lantern she had specially handmade for him. Still unlit.

Take it with us, he had said before they left the manor.

Why would he bring her out this far, of all places? Did he not fear running into any enemies? Or was he simply confident in his powers?

The questions danced around in her mind, but Dai Yichen's voice soon reeled her back to reality. "In the past, my brother and I would ride our horses out to help dispatch supplies to this village full of widows and orphans. We hid our identities from the villagers living there and pretended to be workers. If they were aware of the lord's visit, they would get startled."

"And sometimes," he added, "it's fun to have a change of identity."

"I understand the feeling," Luwen agreed wholeheartedly. Sometimes, she wished she could live as someone else other than the matriarch's servant. "Then I suppose I can't call you 'my lord' when we arrive there?"

"You can call me Yichen." Dai Yichen arched his brow, curious and all ears. "I can't call you by your name either. What would you suggest?"

She stiffened immediately, her tongue tied and her heart pounding wildly. What should he call her? What did she want him to call her? There was just one answer in her mind.

Luwen. Her real name.

She wondered how her name would sound on his lips.

The thought itself was tempting, dangerous and extremely foolish. If she gave him her real name, she would give herself away in plain sight.

But the lord never knew or heard of her name. Or her existence. He wouldn't make the connection easily. He didn't know she was just another soul inhabiting this body.

Furthermore, she was already living her life precariously on the edge of the cliff. Sometimes she wondered when she might never wake up again, not in this body or her own. Her life was no longer hers anymore, but in the matriarch's hands. She could die, perhaps not today, but someday in the future.

However, this moment with the lord was hers alone. Even the matriarch couldn't take it from her.

Just this once.

Her prolonged silence was worrying Dai Yichen. He shifted closer to her, his thigh brushing against hers in the small space they shared. A hand touched her shoulder gently. "What's wrong?"

He was oblivious to the way he was affecting her; the heat from his body, his breath tickling the side of her side.

"Luwen," she answered quietly. "You can just call me that when we're in the village."

His gaze lingered on her for a couple more seconds. "Luwen," he repeated. Sending a jolt through her body and making her heart flutter. "Good choice."

When he turned away, Luwen breathed out silently and closed her eyes. Calming her racing heart.

After the three-hour journey, they arrived at the village. The children rushed to the horses and wagons, followed by the eager adults, excited to greet the guests and inspect the supplies.

"Big Brother! Big Brother!"

Children swamped around Luwen and Dai Yichen when they exited the carriage. Some of them were clutching his legs with bright eyes, staring at him happily.

"Where is Big Big Brother? Why isn't he here?"

"He's busy." For an usually cold lord, he appeared at ease here. Unrestrained and happy. Like he could be himself here. "He won't be coming."

Mumbles of disappointment resounded through the crowd until several pairs of eyes landed on Luwen. Little hands tugged at her sleeves and grabbed her fingers. "You brought a pretty lady with you today! Who is she?"

"I'm just helping today–" Luwen began saying, but Dai Yichen beat her to it.

"My wife."

"Ooooooooooh." The children sang in unison, their eyes giggling with mischief. "Big Brother has found himself a wife! He's not so scary after all!"

Dai Yichen rolled his eyes and ruffled their hair, especially the ones standing closest to him. "Go try on some of the new clothes we've brought, you little rabbits."

He darted forward to catch them, causing them to scamper off with loud squeals. When he finally caught one, he wrapped an arm around his waist and carried him over to a caretaker. The child laughed, squealed and kicked his legs, happy to be flying.

Setting the child down on his feet, Dai Yichen turned around to meet Luwen. "Don't mind their words."

"I don't," she said with a bright smile. "The children look happy living here."

They were well-fed and clothed. None of them were malnourished or ill-treated for being too loud and playful. No one seemed bullied by their peers and got along with one another.

Being an orphan herself, Luwen was envious of the environment these children grew up in. Safe with their needs taken care of.

But she was happy for them. Genuinely. Even if her childhood was a stark contrast to theirs.

"Come." Dai Yichen led her to the wagons where the workers were unloading the goods. "I'll help them while you distribute the clothes to the children. You could check if they'll fit them well."

"Yes, my lord–I mean–Yi...chen?"

Luwen stumbled over her words, realizing a problem with this arrangement of theirs. "Calling you by your real name doesn't sound inconspicuous at all, right?"

However, he didn't respond, but it sounded like he was laughing as he walked away. That was when it hit her; he had her fooled!

Her face turned fiery red, heat blooming across her cheeks. She lowered her head, hoping to conceal her expression, and kept herself busy with opening a wooden crate full of clothes. Soon, she gathered the children and instructed them to stand in a line while she and a couple of women from the village fitted them in the right sizes.

After completing their work, the children invited their guests to join in their activities. When the lord went to play ball with the boys, Luwen joined the girls.

She watched as they weaved crowns and bracelets with the wild flowers they had picked earlier in the morning. She helped to redo their braids and gave them permission to touch and twirl her own hair.

An eight-year-old girl called Xin'er, presented two flower rings to her. "I made them for you. Do you like them?"

Luwen's heart soared at the gift. It was rare for her to receive gifts. "They're lovely. Thank you."

The little girl giggled. "You should wear one and give the other to Big Brother!"

Despite being married, Luwen never received a ring from the lord. Hearing such kind and innocent words from a child only made her heart sink.

"I'll give it to him later," she promised Xin'er, but deep down in her heart, she knew she could never slip that flower ring on the lord's finger. "He will definitely like your gift."

The mention of his name made her eyes stray towards him, but he was no longer with the boys. He wasn't by the firepit too.

She stood up abruptly and spun around, her body crashing into his, his lips brushing against her hair, when she realized he was behind her all along. His hand reached out and gripped her wrist, pulling her back into balance right before she fell.

"Looking for me?" he asked, his gaze dropping to the flower rings in her right palm. "Is one of them mine?"

"That's right!" Xin'er appeared by their side, bouncing on her toes. "Put them on!"

With several children watching and urging them on, Dai Yichen took a flower ring and slipped it onto his ring finger. Luwen, now heavily mortified, mirrored his action, but she got nervous until her fingers trembled.

He did it for her instead, slipping the flower ring onto her finger with no hesitation. "Are you all happy now?" he asked them.

"Ooooooooooh." The children teased and sang again, but they got interrupted when their caretakers shouted it was time for their dinner.

They dashed off, leaving both Dai Yichen and Luwen alone. His hand was still holding onto hers. Warm and strong.

When his gaze met hers, it lit her insides on fire.

"Come with me, Luwen."

A/N: I can definitely hear the fan screams from here. 😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83 13 10
"Guilt, pain, and loss burned my soul. No matter what good I would do, it would never stop the flames from burning me, the poison from killing me, an...
2.4K 125 45
[Fantasy novel, completed ✓] In a world filled with magic, dragons, witches, demons, deadly creatures and other magical beings, the life of the king'...
13.3K 509 25
18+ Loosely based on Romeo and Juliet set in a magical fae world. Two powerful families have ruled over the the dark and light fae for thousands of y...
225 45 27
The army of Demons has been repelled and almost a year later demon activity is scarce. That is until a new terror descends on the Lightforce Academy...