The Inured Villainess

By emwritesbookstories

Inure: (v.) To accustom to accept something undesirable, evil, or painful. An other worldly girl is reincarna... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 20

969 44 2
By emwritesbookstories

"Dilana, thank you for coming." I smile graciously.

"Oh no, Your Majesty. Thank you for inviting me. Things must be so hectic nowadays. How is Your Majesty faring?" She humbly sits down at the small round table that sits in the Sun Palace gardens.

"I'm alright. The news of the fire must have spread, hasn't it?"

"I'm afraid so." She takes quick glances at the four knights sneakily positioned around the garden. "I'm sure His Majesty was worried a great deal to have knights around even in the safety of the palace."

I faked a laugh at her response, "Yes, he was worried that I feel like I'm in a cage sometimes. But I'm glad he allowed you to meet me, Dilana. Have you been up to anything interesting?"

She takes a moment to think, flashes her pink lashes over her blue eyes. "I've been trying to knit a blouse. Since summer is coming quickly I thought that a breezy top might be in fashion. Though I'm not very skilled at it." She fidgets her fingers around her teacup.

"Would you like me to help? I'll tell the maids to fetch us some yarn and needles ." I motion to maid to bring us some.

"There is no need, Your Majesty." She refuses my kindness.

"Nonsense, you're my friend Dilana. How about you call me Estella? Or do you not wish to be my friend?" I guilt her into complying.

"I'm grateful to be your friend, Estella." She finally gives in. "Thank you for being so generous with me. I myself have had difficulty in society. I relied on the other ladies to help me navigate. Some find it odd that I like to help at the temple."

"I don't find that odd, if anything that is something to be proud of. You are doing one of the most necessary jobs. I envy that of you, the courage that you have." I sip my tea, feeling the spring breeze blow my loose hairs from my face.

Dilana is someone important to Kyrell, at least in the future. Though Kyrell doesn't hate me now, I do want to have a good relationship after. With both him and Dilana.

Befriending her might make me feel less guilty for being married to her lover. Maybe she won't hate me if I am her friend.

The maid soon came back with a tub of yarn spools and knitting needles.

I showed Dilana how to start her new project. While she decided to make a knitted blouse, I wanted to make Alastair a scarf for the winter.

It was peaceful which I enjoyed. It seems that this life has been very busy so far, something I never imagined would happen to me.

And now I have a friend who knits with me. I couldn't be more happy. But there is still something that tugs at my heart.

The longing I have for my husband that wasn't meant for me. It feels wrong to pine after another woman's man.

No matter how much I want it, the pain I will have to endure after they fall in love will be worse. So I have to keep away from Kyrell. Keep away from his handsome self. Not to be fooled by his appearance.

It's as if Lucia is trying to tempt me because there he comes, striding straight towards us.

His tall, dark build could make any woman swoon. And he will now see his lover without any distractions.

"Your Majesty." Dilana stands to bow.

He takes her in for a moment before replying with, "Welcome. I'm glad Estella has been able to make a good friend."

He doesn't spare her another glance, and looks to me.

Is that all? He doesn't have more to say?

"Kyrell, this is Lady Dilana, Count Laurier's daughter." I try to get a reaction out of him.

"I know, I have seen her before." He replies with little interest. "If it isn't too much, I will be taking the Queen now. The knights will escort you out."

Dilana places a hand on her mouth, holding back her amusement. "I see, don't let me stop you." She lets out a small laugh as Kyrell takes my hand leading me away.

I just stay quiet. He's seen her before and hasn't said anything. He should be head-over-heels in love with her, but he barely spared her a glance.

What's wrong?

Did I mess something up?

"Kyrell, why did we leave Dilana like that?" I ask as he continues to drag me along into the palace.

"I promised that I would buy you a new wardrobe, did I not?" He doesn't look back at me as he talks.

"Wardrobe? You interrupted by time with Dilana for clothes?"

"You spent enough time with her, now it is my turn." He says in a matter of fact way.

His lover stood in his way to spend time with me? How does that make any sense?

He sat me on the couch in the dressing room of the palace. Rows and rows of dresses were out for display.

"We'll start with these and make our way through them." He tells the tailor. He's good at ordering people around. Very leader-like material.

I tried on a pink dress with ruffles that ascended down.

"You look gorgeous." His eyes didn't stop wandering over my body. He was leaned back on the couch, arms crossed along his wide chest.

He turns to the tailor. "We'd like this one. Make sure it is tailored to her size, it looks too loose on her."

He was serious with every word.

I didn't say anything, knowing that I wouldn't be able to stop him. Once he is like this, no one can.

I tried on another, a red one this time.

I twirl in its large skirt. "This one matches your eyes," I say as I spin.

"This one too."

I stop, putting my hands on my hips. "Are you going to order all of them?"

"If I want to, yes, I will." He doesn't budge.

I sigh, sitting next to him. "You know that you don't have to do this. I can go buy my own dresses."

"I know, but I want to see you wear dresses that I chose. Besides, is it so wrong to want to spend time with you?" His red eyes bore into mine.

If I could, I would make him mine right now. How can he say those words so casually? I could feel my heart fluttering.

"I just find it odd that you don't have anything better to do than watch me change clothes." I stand back up. "Now, which dress is your next victim."

"That one." He pointed to a black strapless dress that was on the risqué side.

I sighed and got back to work.

*****

I probably tried on a thousand dresses. Kyrell never seemed to relent, making me try on every dress that dared be in his sight.

After a comforting bath I was getting ready to sleep in our bed— it's odd to call it that but I don't know what else to say.
It's not his room anymore so I guess it is ours.

"I saw that you were knitting this earlier. What is it?" Kyrell asks, sitting next to me on the bed.

"I started a scarf for Alastair. It may still be spring, but winter comes quickly." I watch as he inspects it.

"For Alastair?" His name sounded weird when he said it.

"Yes. That poor prince has been through so much. I'm just trying to be a good mother when he wasn't able to have one." I play with the hem of my gown. "How was the previous queen?"

I don't know much about her. So she makes me curious. Was she some that Kyrell liked? He had a child with her, so surely he liked her.

His hands tightened around the knitted fabric.

"She wasn't someone I liked. I was forced to marry her without a say in it. All the nobles agreed and I was young so I had to follow. She was nice at first. I thought that I wouldn't mind being married to her. But she—" He pauses dramatically, his face holding anger.

"She used me for an heir, drugged me when I didn't let her. I was angry at what she did but I couldn't do anything, I had no power as a cursed king. Soon after I discovered she was pregnant, passing away in childbirth because Alastair bore the curse as well."

A tear fell down my left cheek, it seems to be happening a lot lately. "I'm sorry. And I tried to do so many horrible things to you. I didn't know that this happened."

"Of course, you didn't know. I don't blame you for any of it. Don't cry, it's in the past." He brushes away my tears, cupping my face.

I place my hands on his that rests on my face. "I hope the Goddess Lucia blesses you with a love that doesn't compare to all the torture you have been through. If anyone deserves a happy ending it is you, Kyrell."

I don't want him to die, to suffer seeing his lover being killed before his eyes. He has already been through enough, why does this world keep torturing him like this.

"You too, Estella. May she bless you also because I know that she has already blessed me." His head falls forward, resting on my right shoulder.

I didn't understand his words. But I didn't say anything, just enjoying each other's comfort.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 1.4K 7
Awakening to find myself in a world teeming with magic, dragons, and fantastical wonders was like stepping into the pages of a novel - quite literall...
26.4K 752 20
Reincarnating, dying, repeat. My life revolves around those three. This has been going on for so long that my memory of my first life already became...
52.9K 1.9K 24
After I died in the modern world I was born in a magical realm with scheming nobles, magical creatures, and a magic academy straight out of hogwarts...
15.1K 457 37
I'm trapped in the world of my favorite novel. Elizabeth has never had the best life but now that doesn't matter. Now she is living as Claudette, a c...