How To Fall From Grace [MxM]

By JuliaLundstrom

A year after the traumatising death of his father, Lord Frey Clausson finds holding on to his reputation in h... More

Author's note
Step 1: Fall heir to tragedy
Step 2: Fall to pieces
Step 3: Fall off a horse
Step 4: Fall back in line
Step 5: Fall into a door frame
Step 6: Fall off a horse, again (pt. 1)
Step 6: Fall off a horse, again (pt. 2)
Step 7: Fall on hard times (pt. 1)
Step 7: Fall on hard times (pt. 2)
Step 8: Fall into despair
Step 9: Fall in with servants (pt. 1)
Step 9: Fall in with servants (pt. 2)
Step 10: Fall unbecomingly
Step 11: Fall behind
Step 12: Fall victim to hugs
Step 13: Fall into a trap
Step 14: Fall for him (pt. 1)
Step 14: Fall for him (pt. 2)
Step 15: Fall on ice (pt. 1)
Step 15: Fall on ice (pt. 2)
Step 16: Fall into step (pt. 1)
Step 16: Fall into step (pt. 2)
Step 17: Fall short of expectations
Step 18: Fall prey to family (pt. 2)
Step 19: Fall into a dream
Step 20: Fall asleep
Step 21: Fall out of favour
Step 22: Fall on your knees
Step 23: Fall apart
Step 24: Fall together

Step 18: Fall prey to family (pt. 1)

78 7 24
By JuliaLundstrom

Frey was not known to be a nervous person, not even to his own knowledge, yet as he and Marius passed through the streets of West Kerilia for a second time, he found his hands trembling. He liked to think he'd planned things perfectly, but that was just his own opinion so far.

"I'll pick you up at the same time tomorrow then?" Marius asked as the carriage stopped in front of Frey's family's house. "Same as last time, I mean?"

"I have some things I need you to get for me, by the way," Frey said before getting out. "Or rather for Tea For Two."

"Why am I not surprised?" Marius smirked. "And what does Her Highness require now?"

"It's on this list." Frey handed him a note along with a money pouch, to which Marius rolled his eyes.

"You know I can't—"

"You don't have to," Frey interrupted. "Just show it to the shopkeeper. It's called Beyond Elegance, on Fairweather street."

"And you didn't even draw me a map?"

Frey squinted at him.

"You're joking."

"Yes."

Frey threw a glance at the coach and the footman, who as predicted had finished carrying Frey's luggage inside and began to turn their heads to see what the holdup was.

"Just get the things, stable boy," he said in a louder than usual voice. "It shouldn't be that hard even for you."

"Of course not, my eternally worshipped Lord." Marius exaggerated a subpar bow before closing the carriage door.

Frey knew he was joking again, but he would not have minded a title like that.

His mother, sisters, and his sister in-law were all waiting for him in the entrance hall where they crushed him with a hug he endured solely for the sake of family.

"Now tell us about the horses," Annarósa urged him while trying to pull him with her into the parlour. "I thought you would write to us about your choices but then I also should have known better since it's you."

"You could have talked to the Glowells yourself," Frey suggested, but decisively freed himself from her grip. "And I'm actually going outside for a walk now, so we'll talk later."

Annarósa blinked, looking between him and the door as if doubting her brother even knew what going for a walk meant.

"As you say, we have a reputation to uphold," Frey continued with a tilt of his head as he headed for the door. "Not to mention I've missed the town, despite everything."

"Oh, we'll come with you!" Annarósa suggested with a bright smile, gesturing to the other women as well. "We haven't had a family outing in—"

"No," Frey cut her off too abruptly for any conversation, and he cleared his throat before anyone could reprimand him for it. "I'd like to go alone, just this once."

He noticed Elvie's sceptical stare, and he could guess what she was thinking. She had with all certainty seen him talking to Marius again from the window. He didn't acknowledge it though. She could criticise him however much she wanted, but as long as it was kept a secret it was none of her business.

He looked up at the darkening sky as he walked. He didn't have much time to waste. Fortunately he'd studied a map of the inner town thoroughly in preparation, or he would have struggled to find his way on foot.

Beyond Elegance was hard to miss once he got to Fairweather Street. Not just because he'd been there multiple times, but because of the radiating atmosphere that struck a person even before entering.

Marius was already inside, talking to the man behind the counter with a smile and a wrinkled forehead. He brightened up significantly as he spotted Frey, though the confusion persisted.

"Did you realise you gave me the wrong street or something?" he asked, gesturing around them. "This is a tailor shop."

"No, you're in the right place." Frey couldn't help smiling. "Did you show him the list?"

"I mean, yeah I did, but he understandably doesn't have supplies for horses." Marius repeated his gestures, though more exaggerated before lowering his voice. "He's been making small talk though, enough so I haven't really been able to leave without being rude, and he's been complimenting me a lot."

"That's because it's what the 'list' tells him to do." Frey nodded at the piece of paper. "It's not a list at all, actually. It's instructions for him to keep you here until I arrive, while showering you with compliments."

"Oh." Marius did not look less confused, but partly relieved. "I was beginning to think he was making a move on me or something. But... Why are we here? Why are you here? I thought you were seeing your family?"

"No, not this time." Frey shook his head and gestured to the tailor. "We're here to pick up your new clothes, because we're going out."

Marius knitted his eyebrows.

"... Out?"

"You know, out, like... To have fun?" Frey wanted to lower his gaze. He was already nervous enough about his plan, so why did Marius have to ask follow-up questions?

"But you would be there?" Marius was still not convinced. "Both of us would?"

Frey had to smile again at that.

"Yes."

"You would be..." Marius lowered his voice, with a brief glance at the tailor. "... You would be seen with me? Among people?"

"That's part of why we're doing this," Frey explained. "I want to make up for last time, when the evening ended so abruptly, and... Poorly."

Marius' confusion finally let up to give way for a smile.

"Not gonna have much time over if we're buying new clothes though."

"They're actually done already, young sir," the tailor said from where he stood, not even bothering with hiding the fact that he'd overheard everything. "Lord Clausson had your measurements sent over a few days ago."

Marius raised an inquisitive brow at Frey.

"You've stared at my body enough to know my measurements, huh?"

While Frey couldn't deny that he'd been looking at Marius a lot, he was not ready to say it out loud.

"Not even I could manage such a feat," he admitted. "I had Luna steal some of your clothes from the laundry."

Marius stood dumbfounded, so Frey felt the need to elaborate.

"She just told the maids she needed them, probably with some poor excuse, but since it's her no one even batted an eye anyway."

"That's where they went?" Marius still gawked. "And young Lady Hargreaves just up and dropped everything to help you with your... Scheming?"

"Schemes and shenanigans is what she lives for." Frey honestly hadn't thought of his request as strange, given that it was Luna. "She's odd and privileged with no responsibilities."

"I take it she approves of..." Marius sent another vague look towards the tailor. "... Things, then?"

"I feel like she and her brother are already more invested than they should be. Not that their approval was ever required or wanted." Frey nudged Marius to receive the clothes that had been placed on the counter. He was determined for them to enjoy themselves, but he felt a hint of stress regardless. "Now put them on."

He rocked back and forth on his feet while Marius disappeared into a smaller room to get changed.

"So, do you work together?" The tailor raised a curious eyebrow. "Or is it... Something else? What with the clothes and the busy evening?"

Frey hesitated. He was so tired of denying it, not to mention how bad he felt about it. Marius deserved better than being treated as Frey's servant, and if he could admit to them being friends, why not more?

"... It might be the latter," he replied softly, though gave the tailor a look suggesting it would be best for everyone if that information stayed between the two of them.

"I'm confused." Marius squinted at his indigo coat as he exited the changing room, specifically at the small, embroidered sunflowers. "North Kerilian colours, but these are West Kerilian patterns."

"I think North Kerilian colours suit you, and since it's your heritage it would have felt like a missed opportunity." Frey stepped closer to inspect the berry coloured waistcoat. "But you're right. The patterns are West Kerilian."

"Sacrilege." Marius placed a hand against his chest, pretending to look aghast. "To think someone would blend the styles of two towns."

The corner of Frey's mouth twitched.

"Yes, well... We do have a knack for blending unconventional things." He then raised his arm to show his own sleeve, colour of a lighter, West Kerilian shade of blue than Marius', embroidered with the same golden threads but featuring a diamond pattern instead. "Something I thought I'd never be caught dead doing."

Marius shook his head with a smile.

"Usually when people try to buy someone's love, whether it's a niece or... Something else, they don't put so much thought into personal details like nostalgic songs or treasured horses, or matching, symbolic attires."

Frey frowned, confidence wavering.

"I'm not trying to buy love."

"No, I know. Just... A joke on how you spend a lot of money on such caring gifts." Marius smiled apologetically. "Some people with money neglect their close ones and try to smooth it over with expensive things, you know?"

"Well, this is Damien's money anyway." Frey decided to leave the subject. "I'm sure he doesn't mind buying some affection."

"Does Lord Hargreaves like spoiling you, or is it mostly you spoiling yourself with his money when he's not looking?" Marius tilted his head with raised eyebrows, and Frey shrugged.

"If he wanted to stop me, he could, so I at least don't think he minds too much." He thought back to Marius' words about neglectful people though, and lowered his gaze. "Also, I think he's trying to make up for things, in a pointless way."

Marius looked more confused than before, but since Frey didn't elaborate he didn't inquire further either. The tailor, however, took the opportunity to clear his throat.

"Pardon, Lord Clausson, but the sun is near gone so I do believe you should get going, what with your busy schedule."

Marius' confusion did not let up.

"Busy schedule?"

"Yes, right." Frey nodded at the tailor. "You'll have the other clothes mended before tomorrow, then?"

"And washed," the tailor confirmed, which seemed a bit rude towards Marius but then again Frey couldn't disagree with him either.

"Very good."

"Why are we in such a hurry?" Marius kept up with Frey's quick pace as they made their way towards the more crowded streets. "It's not that late, and we're just getting some food."

"No, we're going to bakeries."

"A bakery?"

"Bakeries," Frey repeated. "Five of them."

Even Marius looked exhausted at the thought.

"Five? Why five?"

"Because I'm giving you a chance to convince me, and to celebrate my birthday the way you suggested." Frey took Marius' hand, to the latter's further bewilderment. "We're going to buy cakes."

Marius' eyes widened.

"Not a hundred—"

"Ten," Frey assured him. "Just ten, this time."

"That's... Still a lot," Marius said through a chuckle. "So does that mean we'll be having nine more of these evenings?"

"Exactly." Frey arched his eyebrows at Marius' surprised stare, realising that Marius had once again been joking. "You said a hundred, so we're doing a hundred."

"Well, I was..." Marius changed his mind. "... No, you're right. If I'm going to have any chance of finding a cake you like, we'd better do it properly."

"And some cakes are not in season anyway," Frey pointed out. "It'd be a shame if I missed out on the perfect one just because I only tried winter cakes."

"Also our stomachs would not be able to take a hundred in one night."

"Yes, that too."

It was impossible to ignore people staring as they walked, though Frey doubted it was because of Marius' presence. Rather the history Frey had with the town and the events no one wanted to talk much about. Last he'd shown himself in public properly he'd looked different, so why wouldn't people throw not so discreet glances at him and whisper? Everyone else did.

After a while Frey spotted a familiar face, and though he would have preferred to pretend he hadn't spotted him, they unfortunately made eye contact before he could move on.

"Mr. Brooks." He put on his widest, most endearing smile to dazzle the well-dressed vendor. "It's so nice to see you."

"And you as well, young—" Mr. Brooks began, much like many had the past year, but quickly corrected himself while adding a charming smile of his own. "I mean, Lord Clausson."

"It's been a long time." Frey ignored the slight, somewhat used to it by now. "How's business?"

"Well, while it certainly took... A hit, we're moving forward and rebuilding without issue."

"My mother and sisters told me about your part in what happened." Frey had to fight through it. He didn't want to bring it up, but it'd be a horribly impolite thing for Frey specifically to disregard. "Your generosity back then helped so many people through the poor conditions, and while I acknowledge you did so out of kindness, of course you will be compensated in full as soon as the resources are available."

"It's most appreciated." Mr. Brooks gave him a humbled nod. "And reassuring that your mother and sisters are willing to assist businesses."

Frey's smile remained unrelenting. He'd been purposefully left out of the gratitude, though for once he couldn't blame anyone for it.

"And who might this be?" Mr. Brooks turned to Marius with a brief glance up and down. "From North Kerilia?"

"Yes, well, originally," Frey hurried to reply before Marius could. "Though he's taken interest in the horse breeding business as of late, and so I'm accompanying him. We're actually meeting with the Glowells tomorrow evening to pick up some earlier purchased horses."

He scolded himself. He'd been fine with the tailor knowing, so why did he have to hide it now? Because the man was of higher class? Why was it so hard to shake that barrier?

Marius nodded however, trying to mimic the practised smiles of the other two.

"I've learned a lot already. Lord Clausson is quite proficient in breeding, after all."

Frey would not have phrased it that way, but he still appreciated the attempt to make him look good.

"Why, it's a pity then that you won't be here tomorrow evening." Mr. Brooks shook his head slowly in disappointment. "We're hosting that monthly gathering, if you recall, and would have loved for you to be there."

Frey knew of the gatherings. Not that he'd been part of them, but his father always had.

"Oh, that's a shame, indeed." Frey let an equal portion of dismay spill over his face. "I would have loved to attend, of course, but I'm afraid I must be going back to South Kerilia immediately afterwards."

"Of course." Mr. Brooks stopped shaking his head. "It is nice to have you back though, if just for sporadic visits, Lord Clausson."

"It's nice to be back," Frey agreed before nodding a farewell to the man.

Marius took Frey's hand as soon as they were left alone again, flashing a bright grin.

"See? People still like you here."

"Not at all." Frey curled his lip as they began walking. "Least of all him."

Marius furrowed his brow, frustration of not understanding rich people showing.

"But he invited you to a gathering."

"He had to. My family runs the town, so speaking to me without mentioning an invitation would have been catastrophic." Frey looked down at the ground. "He lucked out, I suppose, since I couldn't attend."

"Well, couldn't you?"

"He doesn't want me there." Frey smiled wryly. "Mr. Brooks is not... Very fond of me."

Marius scoffed.

"That's what you say about everyone."

"I ruined business for him a few years back," Frey finally admitted, free hand restlessly opening and closing without his permission. "He's built his way back up, but as far as his then unrivalled local mercantile is concerned, it's nowhere near what it used to be."

Marius made a face, possibly pondering whether he wanted to hear the rest or not, but Frey continued.

"In my defence I don't think people should pay for locally sourced meat prices when I, who's kept an eye on South Kerilian shipments for a long time, know more than Mr. Brooks would have liked me to."

"Ah."

"Of course, I was going to keep it a secret unless, or until, it proved to be useful information business wise." Frey's gaze remained on the street. "But then he made some rude comments on my... Behaviour, and I accidentally and oh so innocently happened to mention it. To everyone."

"Oh, Frey..."

"I know. Had I known about the poor harvest that would happen three years later it would have come to much better use."

Marius sighed, but couldn't help looking a little amused still.

"Yes, that's definitely what my reprimanding tone was for."

"And look." Frey pointed, having missed Marius' response. "That's Blissful Bites, the first of our five."

It was one of the larger bakeries in town. Not the most luxurious, but Frey had to imagine they made money enough to keep that big of a place for a reason.

"Alright then." Marius opened the door for him ceremoniously. "Let the first night of stomach aches begin."

Frey had, though pleasantly surprised, expected the place to be much more crowded than it was. A couple had chosen a spot by the nearby window looking out over the street while some distant voices could be heard on the loft floor of the building, likely the more popular spot for customers. What he hadn't expected though were the multiple options available, he realised as they stared at the wide counter. Two from each, he'd said, but there were multiple to choose from still.

"Let's try the odd ones first," Marius said, seemingly having read Frey's thoughts. "Chances are other places will also have the common ones, so we should try those last."

Frey looked around, squinting to read signs written in cursive.

"They have specials," he then uttered just as a cheerful girl jumped into view.

"Welcome!" She clapped her hands together. "And, yes! We do have specials! And other things, of course. What are you in the mood for?"

"Honestly, I'm not—"

"Wait, Lord Clausson?" The girl gawked, and though Frey disapproved of the interruption and the attitude resembling what Luna would probably be like on drugs, he did appreciate someone who didn't get his title wrong. "You're back in town? And you're here! I didn't think you went out to buy things yourself, but then again you've been away for so long, and—"

"Yes, well, we are in a bit of a hurry, I'm afraid." Frey held up a hand in an attempt to slow her down. "We are interested in any specials though, specifically cakes, if you have any that other bakeries don't?"

"Oh, for sure!" The girl then turned around to vault over the counter, to Marius' awe and Frey's horror. "Here, I'll pick out some examples."

"Just two is enough," Frey said, hoping to Ilara that her casual leaping never landed her shoes on the counter, though the other customers didn't bat an eye at her behaviour. "Two unusual ones."

"Then I'd recommend these," the girl said before placing two plates with a piece of cake on each before them.

Frey was already judging the dark brown one, unmistakably of a chocolate character.

"This one has a chocolate base." The girl confirmed Frey's suspicions. "Topped with beetroot syrup and candied beetroot."

Frey had never heard of the combination before, with a knee jerk reaction to dislike the idea, but chocolate on its own had failed his taste buds before so he doubted it could hurt.

"And here's a pineapple cake," the girl continued, practically shoving the yellow and white creation in Marius' face. "They're not too uncommon, but ours is vastly superior. Also, if you'd like, I can bring some suitable tea for you as well!"

Frey fought the urge to cover his ears when she talked.

He still agreed to the tea and paid for everything, handing Marius a spoon for his cake before sitting down at a table as far away from the counter as possible.

"Oof," Marius uttered while still chewing, which Frey disapproved of. "If you dislike sweet things this may not be for you."

"Not promising then, since this isn't my preference either." Frey hadn't tasted his yet, determined to try but was suddenly not in a hurry. "But I guess I knew what I was getting into."

"Well, here goes nothing then." Marius scooped up another bite of his cake and placed it against Frey's lips.

Frey froze. The idea of sharing food and cutlery with someone had been outrageous to him before, but wouldn't it be different with Marius?

The man in question seemed to think so as well, and he raised an eyebrow in disappointment.

"Frey, we've kissed."

"Yeah, I..." He glanced towards the counter where the enthusiastic girl quickly looked away as though she had not been staring. "... I know."

"But using the same spoon as me bothers you?"

Frey smiled awkwardly.

"It really shouldn't, should it?"

"Not as far as I know."

So Frey fought his way out of his comfort zone and opened his mouth.

Then he winced, and forced a neutral expression out of politeness.

"Much too sweet," he whispered, and Marius chuckled.

"Better rinse, then."

Frey swallowed it down with some tea while Marius switched spoons to taste the chocolate one.

"You know, I was sceptical," Marius admitted, once again while chewing, and pointed at the cake with his spoon. "But I think I like this one better."

"Might as well get it over with." Frey sighed, but received his spoon again.

"So? How is it?" Marius looked at him intently for a reaction, and Frey pinched his lips together. He didn't want to come off so negative on a night like this, but he was already having second thoughts about his planned activity.

"It's... Better?"

Marius smiled, not convinced.

"You know you don't have to like them. This is just two of a hundred, right?"

Frey gave the cakes a tired look.

"Right."

"Feeling regret?"

"No," Frey said decisively before picking up his teacup. "I'm sure we'll find one, and for what it's worth I do like the tea."

"That's good." Marius put his cup down. "Because I don't."

"Do we... Have very dissimilar tastes?"

"Well in that way we never have to fight over who gets what."

"I suppose." Frey nodded slowly in thought. "And we don't have to sneak out of here to avoid telling the owners we didn't like anything."

Marius tilted his head to the side.

"I would've reckoned you want to sneak away regardless to avoid Miss Sugar Rush over there."

"I do," Frey mumbled without meeting his gaze. "I just didn't think you'd let me."

It made Marius laugh louder than he'd intended, but he shook his head.

"Not quite, but we could tell them it was good while walking away? You did say we're in a hurry."

"And I wouldn't want to be considered a liar."

As soon as they'd gotten up from their chairs however, it was as though the girl had been summoned by the mere thought of leaving.

"So? Did you enjoy it?" She beamed, though pointing at their plates. "Or was it too much?"

"We did enjoy it," Marius assured her with a charming grin. "But as we're heading elsewhere we won't have the time to finish it all."

"Well bring them with you!" She'd already scurried off before either of them could protest. "I'll put them in a box!"

"So are we going to end up with five boxes by the end of this?" Marius whispered as they finally got out of there, not without the bakery girl making them promise to come back some other time. "I guess it does seem rude to not finish all of it. They're just pieces after all."

"Maybe we could put them all in one box?" Frey suggested, mind already exhausted by the loudness and intensity. "Or would the other bakeries be upset if we show up with a box from elsewhere and put theirs in that one?"

"You might be overthinking it," Marius argued, but then knitted his eyebrows. "Or, I don't know. Maybe."

"At least the next one is smaller and should have less people," Frey said, mostly to himself. "And hopefully less abrasive workers."

"I mean, she wasn't mean or anything."

"No, I know, but—"

"Frey!"

Frey came to a halt, teeth clenching as he braced himself.

Oh for fuck's sake.

"I was wondering if we would run into you!" Annarósa half-yelled as she and the other women in his family had appeared behind them, and Frey's poor ears were once again dismayed. "We all agreed that you had the right idea about going for a stroll, so we decided to as well."

"Did you, now?" He slowly turned his gaze towards Ethel, who immediately confirmed his suspicions by mouthing a 'sorry'.

So they'd just decided to follow him.

"We didn't realise you were meeting someone though," Valdís said, giving Marius an inquisitive look. "Perhaps we're interrupting something?"

Frey was near certain they'd expected something like that. Why else had they followed him if they didn't think he was up to something? It wasn't like his mother to snoop, but with his past love life or rather lack thereof, Frey supposed he hadn't really given her a reason to until now.

"I didn't know you had a suitor, Frey." Annarósa looked equally intrigued with an obvious hint of teasing in her voice, and though Frey couldn't see it at the moment he imagined Marius was struggling with keeping up the casual facade. "I would have thought you'd mention if you were seeing someone."

Frey sent a glance in Elvie's direction, feeling her burning stare even without looking. She knew who Marius was, after all, and had warned Frey about their potential relationship. Because of his profession. Because both of their professions.

He gritted his teeth. Not again.

"Uh, actually, I'm—" Marius began in an attempt to support Frey's upcoming lie, but Frey wouldn't have it. He'd had enough already. Enough with the secrets.

"Well, I am."

He took Marius' hand, squeezing it tight to stop his heart from exploding.

"I'm seeing him."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

550K 25.5K 40
***Official WP LGBTQ account book of the month: November 2016 ❤*** ***#20 Action what's hot list: 9/14/17*** noun: Stockholm syndrome 1.Feelings of...
159K 15.8K 56
[Sequel to Frayed Ties] Fanner has spent his entire life being an unwanted failure of a Companion, so even if training to become a healer means a lif...
101K 4.6K 34
Only a few months after his dad's death, Daniel decides to leave his hometown to study in an art school at countryside. New ambience would surely hel...
35.8K 2K 35
Caleb hardly remembers what it is like to be born free. After having lived for two hundred years being thrown from master to master, from home to hom...