The Pretense

By francetaylor

Falling for the façade... Harper Mitchell knows that professional success doesn't always come easy, and she's... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 15

2.3K 99 8
By francetaylor

Matt woke up early as usual and smelled the scent of sex at the same time as he registered that Harper was no longer in his bed.

Confounded, he cracked an eye open and was even more puzzled to find the room empty and silent except for a couple of magpies warbling outside his window.

He was used to a woman clinging after a night of sex. Not that he remembered ever having a night quite like that. He'd been insatiable. A grin split his face as he recalled how she had matched him the whole way.

He stretched his hands above his head and flexed stiff muscles. Last night had been incredible – and against every one of his rules.

Sort of.

It wasn't that he'd forbidden himself to have sex this close to race day. It was getting involved emotionally that was the no-go zone. He might have thought about Harper more than he would have liked over the past couple of days, but he knew now that he'd had her in his bed, his interest would start to wane.

Which is why it is a good thing that she would be leaving this morning. He had and enormously busy week, made even more so because he'd had to cancel yesterday's round of meetings to care for Harper.

Rolling out of bed, he pulled his jeans on and went in search of her to find out what time she wanted him to get the jet ready. He found her outside, watching the sun rising over the ocean that stretched beyond his backyard. She was completely enveloped in his black robe – so appropriate, he mused – her hair mussed and wavy, the sun's rays highlighting the gold among the brown.

She turned when she heard the sliding door open and fingered her hair self-consciously. She looked adorable and so uncomfortable.

He immediately sought to put her at ease and ignored the whisper of apprehension that floated across his mind. He didn't doubt for a minute his ability to control this situation between them.

"What are you thinking?"

"I didn't know men wanted to know what women were thinking so much."

He studied her, feeling as if he was facing down one of Dante's highly strung thoroughbreds. "I don't want to know what women are thinking, I want to know what you are thinking."

"I'm thinking that you have a beautiful home. For some reason, I took you as a city type."

"I visit too many cities as part of my job. My mother lives on the other side of the island and I bought this place when she fell ill a couple of years ago."

"Is she okay?"

"Fine. Fitter than I am."

Harper's lips into a faint smile, "Well, it's lovely here. Peaceful even." She glanced out over the lawn towards the beach and he caught the nervousness in her eyes, "But I should probably heading back home."

Her lips were still kiss swollen from last night, and he noticed a slight red mark from where his beard growth had grazed her neck. He'd have to be more careful to her soft skin, though some primal part of him was pleased to see his mark on her.

"It's seven in the morning. Are you sore?"

She colored her cheeks in a pretty manner. "That's personal."

"Baby, it doesn't get any more personal than my mouth between your legs."

She gasped. "You can't say that!"

She looked mortified and for some reason, her reaction pleased him. He was so used to women preening and posing in front of him that her embarrassment was refreshing. She hadn't been a virgin, he knew that, but she wasn't a practiced sophisticate either, and one of the things he loved – hell, liked – about her was that she was so easy to tease.

He stepped closer to her and urged her stiff body into the circle of his arms. "I've embarrassed you?"

"Yes, but I don't know how," she gave a deep sigh. "I should have expected you to just say what you think. It's one of the first things I noticed about you."

She gripped his forearms as if to hold him off but he'd have none of it. His thumbs drawing lazy circles over the thin cotton of his robe covering her lower back gentling her until she fitted against him as naturally as his tailor-made jumpsuit.

"What else did you notice?"

"That you had ripped jeans and needed a shave."

Matt gave her a hoot of laughter, "You are hell on my ego, babe."

"Your ego is one area I would never worry about."

She was watching his mouth and his laughter dried up instantly. "I usually start the day with a run followed by a green smoothie, but this morning, I'm going to make an exception. A different kind of exercise."

Her eyes lifted to his, her pupils expanding as he watched. "What are you replacing it with?"

He enclosed the nape of her neck with his hand, slowly bringing her mouth to his, "That depends on the answer to my earlier question."

She frowned, and he pressed his pelvis into her to facilitate the memory to recall. She smiled and he felt the tightness in his chest.

"Only a little."

Her answer sent the tightness lower, "I promise to be gentle this time."

---

Harper must have dozed because she woke up to the feel of Matteo spooning her from behind as he had done first thing that morning. She had slipped out of his bed because the sensation of waking up with his protective arm draped around her waist, his fingers resting over her abdomen, had been both frightening and exhilarating. And now, the exact feelings are back.

He just seemed to swamp her. His warmth, his scent, her desire to burrow against him and never leave. It was as instinctive to her as her breathing.

Right from the beginning she'd sensed he would have this intense effect on her. Wasn't that the reason behind her fear now? Hadn't she avoided feeling such intense emotions for another person because she knew better than most how tenuous relationships were? But how could a playboy race car driver with a reputation for having a death wish make her feel so... safe? So secure? It had to be straight because otherwise it defied logic.

As did her current feeling of wellbeing. Someth8ing she hadn't experienced since before her parents had divorced, she suddenly realized. And hot on heels of that little revelation was the unwelcome understanding that she had been trying to get this same sense of belonging from her job for years.

On some level, that wasn't a total surprise since she had always treated work as a second home. But what was newsworthy was that even the thought of making a partner didn't give her quite the same sense of safety that Matteo did right now.

Confused and feeling slightly exasperated with her see-sawing emotions, Harper again tried to creep out from under his arm – only this time, his strong fingers spread out like tentacles to cover her whole belly.

"Am I going to have to tie you to my bed to make sure you're still here when I wake up?"

His deep voice was rasp from sleep, his warm breathing stirring her hair.

Harper stilled, wanting to run and wanting to stay at the same time. In the end, she wasn't strong enough to resist his magnetic pull and subsided back against his hard body. He rolled her onto her back and rose up on one elbow, his gunmetal-gray eyes lazily intense between thick, dark lashes.

Feeling exposed, Harper pulled the sheet up over her breasts. His gaze lingered on the sheet and she had the vague impression that he was about to flick it off her.

Glad that he didn't, she let her breath out slowly.

"Why are you so determined to run off anyway? You don't strike me as the one-night-stand type, or are you?"

"I'm not."

"Then stay. Even just one more day. I have sponsors gig tonight. I am hoping that you'd come with me."

Alarmed by just how much she wanted to accept what she suspected was an unplanned invitation, Harper immediately reacted negatively. "I can't. I have work to do."

Annoyance briefly flickered across his face. "Work from here. You have your laptop with you."

Harper smoothes her eyebrows. He was doing his steamroller thing again, but what was one more day to him? And when would she go back home? Later tonight or in the morning?

He stroked a strand of hair back off her forehead. God, she must look a mess.

"I know what you're thinking. You don't like the uncertainty of it."

Harper's eyes flashed to his. Did he really know her that well or was she really that easy to read?

"It's not hard to figure out, Harper. I know you hate surprises so it follows that you wouldn't like half-baked plans. How about we make it the whole week?"

The whole week?! What is the nerve of this man?

"Five days, to be exact. That way you can come to my mother's gala event, which Callum is expecting to see you at anyway, and watch me race on Sunday."

Harper felt her brows scrunched together, "Why would you want me to come to your mother's ball?"

Matt rolled onto his back and gave her a reprieve from his intense scrutiny, "Honestly? My mother invites every debutante in the known universe to this thing and expects me and my brothers to meet every one of them in the hopes that we'll be falling in love."

His apathetic attitude to falling in love stabbed at something inside her. "Oh, poor you. All those single women in one room. I thought that was every man's dream."

Her words were sharper than she had intended, but she was slightly insulted that he would talk about other women while he was in bed with her. Even if they were women he apparently didn't want.

The reminder that he would never want anyone permanently in his life – not even her – struck a chord because loyalty is all that she seeks. She'd just never sought it with a man before.

"Hardly," his dramatic tone nearly made her laugh despite her aggravation. "Debutantes come with strings attached, stars in their eyes and forceful mothers. That's no dream any man I know has ever had."

Suddenly, he lifted onto his elbow looming as Harper caught her breath. His gaze roved over her face and he trailed a finger over the sensitive skin of her neck just below her ear, winding slow, sensual path downwards.

"I did you a favor last weekend. The least you can do is protect me from women I'm not interested in a Saturday night."

His voice had lowered with intent and Harper's body responded well in a manner she doesn't want. She pushed his hand away. "Stop that. I can't think clearly when you're this close."

"That's only fair since you have the same effect on me."

For some reason, his admission startled her. "I do?"

"Well, I can think but it's usually about my fantasies of you." His hand returned and his fingers circled her nipple, making her arch off the bed, "Say you'll stay."

She tried to organize her thoughts."Because of sex?"

She was breathless and his smile is of pure male triumph as he rolled on top of her. "The sex is phenomenal, yes, but the more I think about you accompanying me to my mother's party, the more I like it. With you there, I can relax. And I might even enjoy it. And don't forget that Carter expects you to be with me."

"Since when do you care what Frank thinks?" Harper asked breathlessly, catching a moan between her clamped lips as his fingers trace a figure eight over her breasts, skimming over her nipple just a little bit too lightly each time.

"I don't," his skillful touch became firmer. "Say yes."

Harper felt deliciously light-headed. "You're steamrollering me again," she accused, trying to hold her body still.

Matteo nipped the skin around her clavicle. "Is that a good thing?"

Giving up on trying to resist him, she speared her fingers through her hair, enjoying the thick, weighty texture of it curling through her fingers.

"I don't know," she groaned and dragged his mouth to her breast. "Just please stop talking."

"You're sexy as hell." His voice was rough, more like a low growl as he finally pulled her nipple into his mouth with just the right amount of pressure.

Harper felt as if she was levitating as her legs shifted helplessly under the onslaught of pleasure. She moaned his name as he nudged her legs apart and even though her internal muscles ached from over-use of the rush of liquid heat between her thighs. She felt him fumbling in his side table, his mouth briefly leaving her breast to tear the condom packet open and then back again, pressing her onto the bed.

"Now, where was I?"

God, he made her feel... he made her feel...

"Say you'll stay."

His mouth teased the soft skin beneath her ear and even though she knew she must have terrible morning breath, she turned her face searching for his kiss.

"Okay."

What had she agreed to?

"For five days."

His fingers stroked between her legs, drawing moisture from her body in preparation for his possession.

"I..." she arched her hips, her body already balanced on a knife-edged pleasure, desperate to go over.

"Say yes."

"Yes – whatever."

She was desperate, and his husky chuckle of dominance annoyed her. With a spurt of defiance at his formidable self-control in the face of her total lack of any, she wrapped her legs around his hips and tilted her pelvis so that he had no choice but to slide deep.

He swore as he plunged into her, and Harper smiled as she buried her face against his straining neck. She clenched his shoulders and her internal muscles at the same time, and suddenly the balance of power shifted as he bucked in her arms before surging deep again.

She felt him groan against her hair and then her mind closed down as he pounded into her with such primal force she thought she might break. Alas, she did, into a whirlpool of pleasure that sucked her under and blew her mind. Dimly, she heard Matteo shout her name and she could feel the gush of his release as he spilled himself inside her.

It seemed forever before either one of them and even so, it was only weakly.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

Harper gulped in air. "Ask me in a minute."

He chuckled and shifted onto his stomach beside her, "Sorry for being a bit too rough."

Harper stretched her arms above her head, "It was intense. I may never move again."

Groaning, Matteo dragged himself from the bed, "I wish I had the same luxury. Unfortunately, not working yesterday and spending half the morning in bed today has no doubt put the team incredibly behind." He bent and gently kissed her lips. "Why don't you stay in bed for you to recover? I'll send a car at five o'clock to bring you into the city."

The city? It took a minute for Harper to remember their conversation. She watched through half-closed lids as Matteo strolled into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

She recognized that she'd just been steamrollered again and that she had agreed to stay with him for five more days to attend a just to help him keep eager debutantes at bay.

What were you thinking, stupid?

She stared at the ceiling and tried to feel agitated but instead, she felt happy. Not with the whole debutant thing, but just being there. Maybe it's what they called afterglow.

Otherwise, it didn't make sense especially given her confused emotions and the fact that she still didn't know if she had a job or notShe stared at the ceiling and tried to feel agitated but instead, she felt happy. Not with the whole debutant thing, but just being there. Maybe it's what they called afterglow.

Otherwise, it didn't make sense especially given her confused emotions and the fact that she still didn't know if she had a job or not. But yes, she was definitely happy.

But she was also smart enough to know that she couldn't rely on those feelings. Reality would eventually intrude and she would have to get herself back on track. In the meantime, maybe she should take his suggestion. Call Frank, finish Callum's proposal, and then treat the next five days as an impromptu holiday.

Matteo, she knew, would make sure she'll have fun – and would it be wrong to soak up his hospitality for a little longer? To soak him up a little longer?

She rolled onto her stomach and glanced at the digital bedside clock. It was ten o'clock. If this was a normal work day, she'd have been hard at it for three hours by now and staring down the barrel of another ten. And those were her house during quieter periods.

She sighed and shifted her attention to the magpies hopping about and conversing with each other outside the full-length window that took up one whole wall of Matteo's masculine room.

She was under no illusions as to why he had asked her to stay for five day. She had never been the type to enter into a purely sexual relationship. Oh well, there is a first time for everything. She just had to keep things as light and breezy as he did. No intense emotions, no second-guessing. Just... fun.

Harper stepped from the car and smiled at the chauffer as he held the door for her. The pavement outside the swanky Collins Street retail outlet was lined with photographers and fans, all of whom quickly lowered their cameras as soon as they saw that she wasn't anybody special. Glad for once not to be a part of the crowd, Harper quickly turned her eyes to the burly security guards who stood either side of the short red carpet.

Swallowing hard, she was just contemplating how foolish she would feel if she gave them her name and they rejected her when a woman in a chic black suit rushed forward.

"Ms. Mitchell?"

Thank God someone knew her name.

"Yes?"

"My name is Lola. Mr. De Luca asked me to show you in," Harper smiled; ready to kiss Matteo's feet for his thoughtfulness. Straightening her spine, she followed Lola into the brightly lit store.

Faces turned towards her but she ignored everyone as the attractive aid wound a path between glamorous, laughing guests holding sparkling glasses of wine and champagne. The room was buzzing with energy and it grew steadily more frenetic the further she went – until Lola stepped aside and Harper knew why.

Matteo stood in the center of a small circle of admirers wearing a severely cut pinstriped suit and an open-necked snowy white shirt. He looked so polished and poised, so sinfully good-looking. Her mind shut down and that she did was to stare.

Having chosen black trousers and a gold designer top and redone her hair in its normally sleek style, Harper felt utterly exposed – stripped bare – when Matteo's eyes honed in on her like a radio device searching out a homing beacon.

God, she was in trouble. Big, big trouble. He was just so beautiful with his disheveled sable hair and five o'clock shadow and her body knew his. After all, she had kissed every inch of him. The urge to bolt at him was overwhelming but then he smiled which made her exhale a bucket load of air.

Her toes curled in her strappy heels as he walked towards her, his eyes glittering.

"You look breathtaking," he murmured as he captured her hand and brought it to his lips in an age-old gesture.

Harper's stomach flipped and she couldn't tear her eyes from his, "Funny. I was just thinking the same about you. Though I wasn't going to mention it on account of your ego and your current cheering squad, lapping you up like a sexually active dog."

Matteo threw his head back and laughed. Harper felt riveted to the spot. Did he have any idea that he was so completely irresistible? Of course he did. Even the people around couldn't take their eyes off him.

"How did you spend your day?" He asked, smiling down at her.

"I worked –."

"Now, there's a newsflash," he teased.

"Yes, well, I spoke to Frank and although he hasn't forgiven me for what I said to Callum, I don't think he's going to do anything to jeopardize my promotion."

"Good," he grabbed a glass of champagne from a passing waiter and handed it to her. "When are you going to start painting again?"

Harper was exasperated that he had discovered her most secret dream.

"Matteo, don't ask me that."

"Why not?"

"Because it's a childish dream."

"Not childish. Daring, actually. A dream unhampered by adult limitations. Perhaps it's time you stopped hiding behind that wall you protect yourself and go for it."

"I will if you will."

The instant words were out and she held her breath, heart hammering.

His eyes pierced her but there was no hostility behind them, just reluctant admiration. "I tend you forget that you're such a shrewd operator. Come on – I have to mingle."

That easily he closed her down and although it made her feel slightly hollow inside, she refused to address the feeling.

With Matteo beside her, she felt carefree, as if he had flicked a switch inside her. As much as she fought against the uncertainty of her emotions, she felt more like herself now than before.

She watched him handle a group of business executives with ease and aplomb. For a moment, she envied him for his sheer confidence and charisma. There was just something about him that was devastatingly attractive – and it wasn't just the way he looked. It was his sense of humor, chivalry, deep voice, keen intelligence...

Harper sucked in a breath as a shot of pure terror made her chest hurt.

I'm falling for him.

Shit. No. It couldn't be true. But...

As if sensing her distress , Matteo turned to her, his eyes intense as they swept and burned into her.

"Harper, are you okay?"

Harper stared up into his concerned gaze.

"I'm fine," she answered automatically.

His gaze narrowed and Harper had a horrible feeling that he could see through her soul.

His hand reached for hers, "You sure?"

No, she was far from sure. But what could she say? That she thought her feeling for him were deeper than his for her? She shook her head, and his frown deepened.

Realizing she was behaving like a nutcase, Harper pulled herself together.

I'm not falling in love with him. I'm too smart to do that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 255 24
Tatum St. Clair is the most beautiful man in the world to everyone but himself. A scarred past makes him see a a devil in the mirror that he just can...
419K 9.1K 57
"She's given me another reason to live." My teammates looked at me in disbelief. They of all people thought I'd never settle down. "Dude, you can hav...
40.8K 1.6K 102
From his assistant to his girlfriend Megan finds herself truly understanding the kind of man she stole from another woman.
57.3K 2.1K 55
COMPLETED "Seems to me," he whispered, his lips brushing her ear, "that you have two heartbeats." "Oh really?" Dakota raised a brow, unconsciously p...