Promises and Deals | The Mand...

By multi_fandom2015

Promises are made to be broken. Deals are made to be kept. [The Mandalorian Season 1-2] I do not own the Mand... More

.000
.001
.002
.003
.004
.005
.006
.007
.008
.009
.010
.011
.012
.013
.014
.015
.016
.017
.018
.019
.020
.021
.022
.023
.024
.025
.026
.027
.028
.029
.030
.031
.032
.033
.034
.035
.036
Truth and Lies
Author's Note: Incoming Updates
.100
.101
.102
.103
.104
.105
.106
.107
.108
.109
.110
.112
.113
.114
.115
.116
.117
.118
.119
.120
.121
.122
.123
.124
.125
.126
.127
.128
.129
.130
.131

.111

85 6 0
By multi_fandom2015

 Alora's body still aches from their previous encounter, but she does not let that stop their adventure. Bo-Katan and Mando lead them through the wreckage of Mandalore, but all she can think about is memory.

The Empire set out to erase Mandalore and its people. She learned that during the Clone Wars, it had remained independent—neither part of the Separatists nor the Republic. Their neutrality is what cost them.

But the Empire did the opposite with the Jedi. There was no way the Emperor could make the people of the Republic forget the Jedi generals who fought for them, so they did something worse by distorting the memory with propaganda. No one blinked twice when the Emperor turned the Jedi into a scapegoat—the people who helped their citizens turned into betrayers. The people themselves were always scared of the Jedi for being different, for having faith in the world around them, but those falsehoods put a target on any survivors.

Mandalorians have the freedom of being forgotten by the masses. They are just a fairytale now. The Jedi are forever hunted for what they are, for what they believe in.

Looking down at Grogu, Alora cannot help but wonder if he made the right choice by forsaking his Jedi roots in favor of a Mandalorian path. She, herself, hides from her past because she was always taught it was wrong. That she was wrong. But choosing another path feels like a betrayal in itself, like she is still hiding from what she truly is.

The mines of Mandalore are this planet's history and memory. She can see the layers of sediment built up over the years and the darkness consuming the caves. Unlike Dagobah, this darkness is inviting, familiar. Like a warm hug from your favorite person.

"This area looks much older," Din says, echoing her thoughts.

"The mines have been here for thousands of years," Bo-Katan replies. "The Living Waters are in the chambers below."

"Have you been there?" Alora asks, still keeping pace with Grogu instead of the Mandalorians.

"Yes, when I was a child."

"Really?" Mando asks.

"I was part of the royal family. I took the Creed and was showered with gifts. But the rituals were all just theater for our subjects. They loved watching the princess recite the Mandalorian tenets as her father looked on proudly. Such a heart-warming spectacle."

A familiar tingle runs down Alora's spine as Din says, "Maybe he was proud."

"I know he was," Bo-Katan offers a small smile. "I didn't embarrass him in front of everyone."

Alora knows the feeling. "Your father sounds a lot like the man who raised me. Not sure I would have liked to know him."

"He was a great man," Bo-Katan states, but it almost feels robotic to Alora. "He died defending Mandalore."

"And Lorn Naftiri was blown to bits when the Empire destroyed Alderaan. He was a great man too. Doesn't mean he was a good role model." Alora looks down at her boots as she continues. She does not realize Din has paused until Bo-Katan stops her.

He watches them both for a moment before he says, "This is the Way."

It is not long before they walk into a large room, the still expanse of water appearing like endless space. Alora slows and remains by the entrance with Grogu as Bo-Katan says, "Here you go. The Living Waters. Hold on. I want you to get the full tour."

She walks over to the wall and begins to read the inscription. "'These mines date back to the age of the first Mandalore. According to ancient folklore, the mines were once a Mythosaur lair. Mandalore the Great is said to have tamed the mythical beast. It is from these legends that the skull signet was adopted and became the symbol of our plant.' This is it."

Alora watches as Mando approaches the edge of the water. Gulping down the lump in her throat, she steps up just behind him and gently places a hand on his shoulder. "Din," she says quietly. "Are you alright?"

Instead of answering, he begins to strip himself of all his weaponry and accessories, leaving only his shining armor. Alora takes a step back and silently watches, holding her hands behind her back. Her nails dig into her skin as he descends the stairs leading into the black water.

"I swear on my name," he says. "And the names of the ancestors, that I shall walk the way of the Mand'alor and the word of the Creed shall be forever forged in my heart—"

Something pulls him under the water.

Alora's eyes widen as she takes a frantic step forward. "Is that part of this ritual thing?"

"No, it's not." Bo-Katan throws on her helmet and dives into the water, disappearing in an instant.

Alora's heart races against her ribs. This is how she felt when Din flew directly into the krayt dragon's mouth and disappeared, but this is worse. So much worse. She can't see anything, and she has no hope of catching up to him in the water. She is helpless. And it hurts.

All her training and she can't save him? Years of her life spent protecting others, and when he needs her most, there is nothing she can do. All she does is watch and hope.

With a splash, Bo-Katan shoots out from the water with Din in hand. They clatter onto the stairs, and Alora rushes forward. "Din!" She yells, skidding to her knees as she holds his helmet in her hands. "Din, can you hear me? Come on, breathe. Breathe!" Pressing her palm to his sternum, she hears him begin to cough as water drizzles out from his helmet.

With a sigh, Alora falls back and tries to settle her chest as she turns to Bo-Katan. "Are you ok?"

She just nods.

Din begins to cough more, and Alora turns her attention back to him. "Din? Be careful. Take it easy." Gently rubbing his back and purposefully letting her fingers slip in the creases of the armor, she helps him sit up.

With his helmet trained on her face, he says, "I am redeemed."

Those words feel like a blow to the chest. The wave of emotion is too strong to stop before her face expresses how she feels. She feels her lips part and her brows furrow as she recoils from him, turning away as fast as possible to stare out at the black waters before she stands and takes a few steps back to Grogu's abandoned bassinet. She hadn't even noticed him waddle over to the newly redeemed Mandalorian.

"I witnessed it," Bo-Katan says. "You bathed in the Living Waters. You are Mandalorian again. Can we leave now?"

"I second that, you've almost died twice now," Alora snaps, crossing her arms and turning her back on the waters. "You're losing your touch."

"Can I ask you something?" Bo-Katan asks.

"What is it?" Mando replies.

"You see anything down there?"

"I saw the chasm passing me as I fell. I didn't realize it was so deep."

"It wasn't. The bombings from the Purge must have triggered seismic activities. Did you see anything alive?"

"Alive? Like what?"

"Nothing."

Alora closes her eyes as she listens to them talk. She vaguely hears the low buzz of Grogu's bassinet approaching before a small hand presses against her hip. Looking down, she sees Grogu's wide, sympathetic eyes staring at her: he was scared too. "Can we get the fuck out of here please?" She asks without looking back.

Instead, her eyes trail up to the walls. Where once the rock was broken randomly from the bombings, cracks now run through the smooth edges. Those cracks were not there before. Perhaps it is just a trick of the light, but she places her hand against the threshold and feels the deep crack.

The Mandalorians pause behind her. Taking a deep breath, Alora lets go of the wall, holds her head up, and begins to walk. It is a silent journey back to Bo-Katan's ship with Alora leading most of the way until they had to fly up. From then on, she stayed behind the Mandalorians, taking one last look at the city only to realize she would most likely see it again.

Alora does not offer to co-pilot as Bo-Katan takes off into space. Instead, she simply sits in the back and stares at the passing stars. All that fear had left, leaving her body empty and cold. All the frustration is now replaced with nothingness.

"Bring me to my ship, and we'll be on our way," Mando says. "You will forever have my gratitude."

"I would invite you in for a feast, but I'm guessing that helmet isn't coming off again." Bo-Katan turns to look at them, and Alora hopes she is smiling. Alora certainly isn't.

"This is the Way."

"This is the Way."

Grogu babbles next to her, almost as if he, too, were saying those four words.

Something hits the ship, and Alora flies into action on instinct. "We took a hit," she says as she rushes over to the free spot at the control console and looks at the sensors.

"It looks like a squadron of TIE fighters," Bo-Katan replies.

"How far are we from Kalevala?" Mando asks.

"Not far."

"Get us back there, and I'll reinforce from my ship. Can you evade them?"

"Our shields aren't going to hold. I need you to back them off."

Without hesitation, Alora sits at the weapons control station and begins firing. She forgets to activate the scanner and radar as she begins to shoot, her long-forgotten instincts taking over. "Nasty bitches," Alora mumbles.

Grogu babbles at her side.

"Don't say that." She looks down at him pointedly, happily watching as he shrinks into his bassinet. "Where did these fuckers come from?"

Bo-Katan replies, "I've scrugged off a lot of Imperial warlords."

"They tend to get mad when you hijack their ships," Mando says.

"Now you tell me."

Alora grins as she catches one of the TIE fighters by the wing, happily sensing it spiral into another ship. "Two down."

"How do you know?" Mando asks.

She does not respond. Instead, she shoots another down.

From the front, Bo-Katan shouts, "Get ready! We're coming in hot. I won't be able to slow down for the drop."

Alora curses as a stray shot bounces off one of the ships. "Interceptors are a lot tougher than TIE fighters. Just watch your fucking back, Mandalorian."

She does not look back, but she hears him get into position in the back of the ship. A light blinks as the ship opens for Mando to drop, but Alora focuses solely on shooting. "Shit, one broke away for him."

She shoots after the stray TIE, but it is no use. Strategically, she switches targets and continues knocking out fighters as best she can.

"Made it to the ship." She hears. "Heading to you."

"Took him long enough," Alora mutters. "Keep the ship steady!"

A large bump does not help. "Don't worry," Bo-Katan soothes. "I grew up flying these cliffs."

"In this large of a ship?" Alora snaps back as one of the wings scraps a nearby cliff face.

"It's been a while."

As they fly across the river winding through the mountains, Alora does her best, but without a steady ship, the shots go wide. Soon enough, Mando shoots one of the ships down from behind.

"Thanks for the backup," Bo-Katan sighs.

"Alora got most of them. Only two more to go."

As they approach a fork, Bo-Katan says, "Go right. I'll meet you on the other side." As they go through a small overhang, Bo-Katan sets up the fighters to easily be picked off, but Mando only gets the last one. "I got this one."

Alora holds her hands up and approaches Bo-Katan from behind as she slows the plane enough to make a 180-degree turn and shoot the TIE head-on. Alora feels her gut in her throat for a moment before the ship lurches forward and up once more. "Not bad for an antique," Alora says as she settles into the seat Mando left empty. "Any significant damage?"

"Just shields. Din?"

"Not a scratch."

"Let's take them in, just to be sure. Nice shooting. Both of you."

Alora shrugs. "I always did guns on the Millennium Falcon. Your system is better."

As Bo-Katan snorts, Mando says over the communication, "Hang on. I'm seeing something on the scope."

"No," Bo-Katan breathes as smoke billows into the air front the direction of the castle. Alora watches over her shoulder as they come upon the castle now in flames as TIE fighters continue to shoot at it. "Those mud scuffers bombed my home!" She shoots at the escaping ships.

"Bo, we've got company."

Alora looks at the scanners to see multiple Imperial ships heading this way as the three stragglers lead them into the heart of the storm. "Bo-Katan, listen to me, we have to get out of here." Bo-Katan ignores her. "There's too many of them, we've got to go. Now."

Bo-Katan turns around as the other fighters come into view. Alora holds on tightly to the chair as they go higher and higher into the atmosphere. "That's a lot of ships for an Imperial warlord."

"I'm sending jump coordinates."

"To where?" Alora demands.

"Some place they won't find us."

The moment they make it out of the atmosphere, they make the jump.

Alora sighs as they do, pressing her head back into the chair as she purses her lips. "That was not just some Imperial warlord. Who did you piss off?"

Bo-Katan just shakes her head. "Everyone?"

"Sounds like me."

"Alright. It shouldn't be a long trip. Is everyone—" Alora shuts off the communication before he can finish his sentence.

Biting the inside of her cheek, Alora busies herself with the console in front of her. It is not long, perhaps only a few seconds, before Bo-Katan takes a seat next to her and says, "So... You're upset with him."

"Your home was just destroyed. You can take your time to grieve it, if you'd like." Her voice comes out clipped and tense.

"You're hurt. Don't lash out at me."

Shaking her head, Alora replies, "I'm not hurt. I don't get to be hurt. I just keep going. The Mandalorian known as Din Djarin has been redeemed. He has completed his mission. I guess this will be it."

"It? What do you mean it?"

"I mean, once Din returns to his covert, I won't be welcomed. So, I guess I'll need a ride." Grogu babbles angrily, but she refuses to look at him. "Maybe I'll try going back to Nevarro and take Greef Karga up on his offer for land."

"The Mandalorians won't kick you off-world," Bo-Katan replies. "You travel with one of them, therefore, you have a place."

"Don't bullshit me. I'm not welcome there. In fact, I'm not really welcome anywhere, but I'll find something. I always do."

"Alora, what did he do? Don't let him make you miserable."

"Too late," she snaps. "Too late because I have been totally useless this whole mission. He almost died twice, and I was helpless. And he doesn't see it. And Grogu gets to train like a Mandalorian now, which I know nothing about, so I'll be useless there too. Lorn was fucking right," she mutters the last part before running a hand down her face.

"That's not right," Bo-Katan replies. "You kept him sane."

Shaking her head, Alora looks down at her lap. "I don't get the privilege of feeling selfish enough to believe that. My duty to Din Djarin is done. Besides, getting somewhere with no way of traveling will keep me from going somewhere I shouldn't. It's all too tempting otherwise."

"For someone who has obviously trained in the Jedi arts, you let your emotions control you."

"My training ended early. And trust me, I'm not a fucking Jedi."

"I know you're not. If you were, you wouldn't be pouting."

Alora scoffs and turns to Bo-Katan with a sneer. "I'm not pouting. I'm rationalizing. Because you're right, I feel a lot. It's why I can't be a Jedi. And you're really lucky that your father was proud of you, because the guy who raised me hated me, and nothing I ever did was right or good enough. So excuse me for thinking that for once it was all enough when it never was and never would be." Alora clenches her hand only to realize it is wrapped around her lightsaber at her belt as if to ground her. "I am a person with no creed and no purpose anymore. I think I fucking deserve retirement."

Alora turns away, once again busying herself with the controls. Bo-Katan remains silently watching her before she returns to the pilot's seat. Only once Bo-Katan is looking away does Alora bring her lightsaber into her lap.

She spends her time disassembling it and reassembling it. The moment everything is all laid out, she notices the glow of the kyber crystal in her hand. She can almost imagine it flickering, but Grogu's interest catches her attention. She silently shows him how she puts her saber together, how all of the pieces fit together. It took a lot of trial and error before the thing worked.

As they fall out of hyperspace, Alora notices Bo-Katan turn on communications once more, allowing Din to help them navigate the planet below. Alora recognizes the route well from when they first visited the covert.

"I'm bringing you to a Mandalorian covert," Mando explains. "This is how we have survived in exile."

"I'm familiar," Bo-Katan replies.

"It's a secret location, and you are my guests."

"They still live by the old ways.

"Yes. It will go smoother if you keep your helmet on. Trust me."

"Of course," Bo-Katan scoffs.

"Yeah," Alora clicks her tongue as they land. "They're not super friendly to outsiders. And I'm almost positive they won't like you, princess."

"Not a princess, High General."

As they exit the ship, Alora pulls on her robe. She had kept it off as they explored Mandalore, but now she feels too exposed. She lifts the hood over her head and stays a step behind Bo-Katan and Grogu as they meet with Mando by his ship.

As they approach the cave, other Mandalorians meet them. "Come no further," Paz Vizsla says. "You are an apostate, Din Djarin."

"No longer," Mando says. "I have been to the mines of Mandalore."

"Impossible. The mines were collapsed in the Purge. The planet is cursed."

"These are lies meant to keep us in exile."

"How do we know that it is not you who is lying?"

Alora knows better than to butt in on these kinds of talks, but she wishes she could openly roll her eyes and call Paz Vizsla out. Instead, she lets Bo-Katan say, "He speaks the truth. I was witness."

"And who are you, Nite Owl?"

Bo-Katan tilts her head and steps forward. "I am Bo-Katan of Clan Kryze."

"Your house has fallen from the Way. You are both apostates."

Clenching her jaw, Alora's temper gets the better of her. "Might I speak?" She steps forward and looks at their welcome crew. "Din Djarin risked his life to bathe in the Living Waters of Mandalore, which he did. Bo-Katan of Clan Kryze accompanied him, as did I. You have two witnesses to confirm his story. I thought your clan believed in faith. They were apostates, but they both bathed in the waters. They come to you for acceptance, for the camaraderie that Mandalorian tradition demands. You cannot turn them away."

Paz Vizsla stares at her. "And who are you?"

Tilting her chin up, she says, "I am no one. A companion to Din Djarin throughout his journey from when he found Grogu, a Mandalorian foundling. But if you want my name, I am Alora Naftiri of the royal house of the fallen planet of Alderaan. I am not Mandalorian, nor do I have a creed any longer. To you, I know I have no honor, but we all walk different paths. Your paths led you to the Way. Mine has led me here."

Silence fills the beach. She hears movement from behind but does not move an inch. Any sign of trouble, and they may be fucked.

"I bring proof," Mando says.

Paz Vizsla almost sighs. "We shall see."

Mando comes up to her side, and they both lead the way into the cave and pass the other Mandalorians standing guard. Only once does Alora look back to make sure that Bo-Katan and Grogu are following, though neither looks especially comfortable.

As Alora walks into the armory, she finds a spot next to Din and goes still, holding her clasped hands in front of her where everyone can see. The Armorer has their back to them as Paz Vizsla says, "Din Djarin claims to have bathed in the Living Waters."

"Is this true?" The Armorer asks.

"It is, I have proof," Din replies. Holding out a water sample, Din hands it to the Armorer.

"I was witness," Alora says. "He fell into the depths of the waters, and Bo-Katan of Clan Kryze dove in to pull him out. Both bathed." She had taken note that Bo-Katan had not removed her helmet, nor had she shown any signs of wanting to. In case this is something she desires, the least Alora can do is make it a possibility by officially being their witness.

The Armorer walks over to a basin and slowly lets a drop of the water from the sample fall. "He speaks the truth. These are indeed the Living Waters. Din Djarin, you are redeemed. This is the Way."

The whole covert echoes those words.

This time, the pain is less poignant. It feels like a dull ache rather than a knife thrust into her sternum.

"And Bo-Katan Kryze, by Creed, you too are redeemed."

Bo-Katan jerks her head back in shock. "But I do not walk the Way."

"Did you bathe in the waters as your witness says?"

"I did."

"And have you removed your helmet since?"

Bo-Katan's helmet tilts toward Alora. "No, I have not."

"Then you may join our covert and live as your ancestors once did. You may leave any time you wish. Until then, you are one of us. Welcome, Bo-Katan of Clan Kryze. This is the Way."

Once again, the Mandalorians repeat the phrase.

"As for you, Alora of Alderaan." The Armorer turns to Alora. "You are not Mandalorian, but you travel with Din Djarin."

Alora nods. "I have been, yes."

"You are his guest here. You may stay as long as you like, but our location remains a secret. You may not tell anyone of this or we will come for you."

"I have many secrets I will take to my grave. This will be one of them."

"This is the Way."

Alora just nods as the Mandalorians begin going up to Mando and Bo-Katan, welcoming them back into the fold. She watches from her spot, unable to move her legs more than to turn around and look at Grogu who smiles and giggles at all the shiny armor.

This is where they belong. But not her, and she knows that. She has always known that.

✦✧✦✧✦

Yes, Alora is bitchy in this chapter. No, she does not need to apologize. 

Hope you enjoyed!

-L

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49K 1.7K 38
haven't you taken enough from me? [ the mandalorian season 2 ] din djarin x daughter!oc cover by @potter_spellbook © ASTRXIDS , 2021-2023
26.4K 583 27
Kaira Satri [Kay-Rah Sah-tree] is Luke Skywalker's apprentice. One day her master tells her that they have to go find a force-sensitive youngling who...
426K 14K 85
Since the rebellion Kit has lived by one rule and only one rule, no attachments. After losing her mother, father and then having her best friend go i...
13.9K 312 32
𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘺 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘴 𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩...