The Nature of a Demigod

By toofoolishauthor

Join a young Demigod as he fights, learns, loves, and adventures both by himself and with his newfound compan... More

The Lightning Thief
Pre-Algebra
Lost and Found
Summer Camp
Tour Guides
Parents
Learning the Ropes
Questionable Questing
Going on an Adventure!
Aunty Em
Canine Counseling
Tense Topics
Poker Face
Now its Water Beds??
Ah, Hell
Meet the Family
Summer's Over
The Sea of Monsters
Lunch with a Runaway
School's Out
Hailing a 'Cab'
Bull Fighting
Oh, Brother
Race Day
Breaking the Rules
Cruising
Tooth for a Tooth
Hungry Hungry Hydra
A Whirlpool and a Dark Place
Spa Day
Losing some Hair
Swim with your Legs
Big Fat Goat Wedding
Fighting with a Shadow
Healing a Tree
The Titan's Curse
Winter Training
Dancing in the Moonlight
Falling off a Cliff
Recruiting
A Really Bad Dream
(Not) Working Together
The Camp Council
Breaking (More) Rules
Don't Pet the Exhibits
Uncomfortable Truths
Bone Chilling Cold
Hunks of Junk
Some Dam Problems
Madness
Family Business
Weight of the World
A Parent's Hand
A New Home
The Battle of the Labyrinth
Lost in the Dark
Teasing Dreams
A Haunting Photo
Stupid Prophecies
Worried Mothers
Prison Break
Maximum Effort
Dreams are the Worst
Let's All Take a Quiz
An Explosive Reunion
A Much Needed Vacation
Funeral Crasher
My Girl
Assailants in the Arena
The Things that Make
Shadow of a Doubt
Lost no More
Love and War
Aftermath
The Last Olympian
Date Night
Blowing up a Princess
Forewarning
War Council
Lessons in Shadow Travel
Revelations in Shadow and Fire
The World Down Under
Bottom of the River
World's Biggest Slumber Party
The War Begins
Battle of the Bridge
Love Hurts
Attempted Negotiations
Clashing with Titans
Unusual Reinforcements
Fire and Fear
The Helping Dead
The Darkest Decay
Mortality
Final Q&A

All is Well... For now

1.2K 91 151
By toofoolishauthor

[Percy's POV]

Nobody steals my pegasus. Not even Rachel. I wasn't sure if I was more angry or amazed or worried. "What was she thinking?" Annabeth said as we ran for the river. Unfortunately, I had a pretty good idea, and it filled me with dread.

The traffic was horrible. Everybody was out on the streets gawking at the war zone damage. Police sirens wailed on every block. There was no possibility of catching a cab, and the pegasi had flown away. I would've settled for some Party Ponies, but they had disappeared along with most of the root beer in Midtown.

So we ran, pushing through mobs of dazed mortals that clogged the sidewalks. "She'll never get through the defenses," Annabeth said. "Peleus will eat her."

I hadn't considered that. The Mist wouldn't fool Rachel like it would most people. She'd be able to find the camp no problem, but I'd been hoping the magical boundaries would just keep her out like a force field. It hadn't occurred to me that Peleus might attack.

"Peleus doesn't eat anyone he wouldn't think is a threat! Rachel might be nuts, but she's not a threat!" Y/N said, running beside us. He'd learned to pace himself by now.

"We've got to hurry." I glanced at Nico. "I don't suppose you could conjure up some skeleton horses." He wheezed as he ran. "So tired... couldn't summon a dog bone."

Finally we scrambled over the embankment to the shore, and I let out a loud whistle. I hated doing it. Even with the sand dollar I'd given the East River for a magic cleaning, the water here was pretty polluted.

I didn't want to make any sea animals sick, but they came to my call. Four wake lines appeared in the gray water, and a pod of hippocampi broke the surface. They whinnied unhappily, shaking the river muck from their manes.

They were beautiful creatures, with multicolored fish tails, and the heads and forelegs of white stallions. The hippocampus in front was much bigger than the others, a ride fit for a Cyclops.

"Rainbow!" I called. "How's it going, buddy?" He neighed a complaint. "Yeah, I'm sorry," I said. "But it's an emergency. We need to get to camp." He snorted. "Tyson?" I said. "Tyson is fine! I'm sorry he's not here. He's a big general now in the Cyclops army."

"NEEEEIGGGGH!"

"Yeah, I'm sure he'll still bring you apples. Now, about that ride..." In no time, Annabeth, Y/N, Nico, Zoe, and I were zipping up the East River faster than Jet Skis. We sped under the Throgs Neck Bridge and headed for Long Island Sound.

It seemed like forever until we saw the beach at camp. We thanked the hippocampi and waded ashore, only to find Argus waiting for us. He stood in the sand with his arms crossed, his hundred eyes glaring at us.

"Is she here?" I asked. He nodded grimly. "Is everything okay?" Annabeth said. Argus shook his head. "What is she doing?" Y/N asked. Argus shrugged.

We followed him up the trail. It was surreal being back at camp, because everything looked so peaceful: no burning buildings, no wounded fighters. The cabins were bright in the sunshine, and the fields glittered with dew. But the place was mostly empty.

Up at the Big House, something was definitely wrong. Green light was shooting out all the windows, just like I'd seen in my dream about May Castellan. Mist, the magical kind, swirled around the yard.

Chiron lay on a horse-size stretcher by the volleyball pit, a bunch of satyrs standing around him. Blackjack cantered nervously in the grass. 'Don't blame me, boss!' he pleaded when he saw me. 'The weird girl made me do it!'

Rachel Elizabeth Dare stood at the bottom of the porch steps. Her arms were raised like she was waiting for someone inside the house to throw her a ball. "What's she doing?" Annabeth demanded. "How did she get past the barriers?"

"She flew," one of the satyrs said, looking accusingly at Blackjack. "Right past the dragon, right through the magic boundaries."

"Rachel!" I called, but the satyrs stopped me when I tried to go any closer. "Percy, don't," Chiron warned. He winced as he tried to move. His left arm was in a sling, his two back legs were in splints, and his head was wrapped in bandages. "You can't interrupt."

"I thought you explained things to her!"

"I did. And I invited her here."

I stared at him in disbelief. "You said you'd never let anyone try again! You said-"

"I know what I said, Percy. But I was wrong. Rachel had a vision about the curse of Hades. She believes it may be lifted now. She convinced me she deserves a chance."

"And if the curse isn't lifted? If Hades hasn't gotten to that yet, she'll go crazy!" The Mist swirled around Rachel. She shivered like she was going into shock. "Hey!" I shouted. "Stop!"

I ran toward her, ignoring the satyrs. I got within ten feet and hit something like an invisible beach ball. I bounced back and landed in the grass.

Rachel opened her eyes and turned. She looked like she was sleepwalking, like she could see me, but only in a dream. "It's all right." Her voice sounded far away. "This is why I've come."

"You'll be destroyed!" She shook her head. "This is where I belong, Percy. I finally understand why." It sounded too much like what May Castellan had said. I had to stop her, but I couldn't even get to my feet.

The house rumbled. The door flew open and green light poured out. I recognized the warm musty smell of snakes.

Mist curled into a hundred smoky serpents, slithering up the porch columns, curling around the house. Then the Oracle appeared in the doorway.

The withered mummy shuffled forward in her rainbow dress. She looked even worse than usual, which is saying a lot. Her hair was falling out in clumps. Her leathery skin was cracking like the seat of a worn-out bus.

Her glassy eyes stared blankly into space, but I got the creepiest feeling she was being drawn straight toward Rachel. Rachel held out her arms. She didn't look scared.

"You've waited too long," Rachel said. "But I'm here now." The sun blazed more brightly. A man appeared above the porch, floating in the air, a blond dude in a white toga, with sunglasses and a cocky smile.

"Apollo," I said. He winked at me but held up his finger to his lips. "Rachel Elizabeth Dare," he said. "You have the gift of prophecy. But it is also a curse. Are you sure you want this?" Rachel nodded. "It's my destiny."

"Do you accept the risks?"

"I do."

"Then proceed," the god said. Rachel closed her eyes. "I accept this role. I pledge myself to Apollo, God of Oracles. I open my eyes to the future and embrace the past. I accept the spirit of Delphi, Voice of the Gods, Speaker of Riddles, Seer of Fate."

I didn't know where she was getting the words, but they flowed out of her as the Mist thickened. A green column of smoke, like a huge python, uncoiled from the mummy's mouth and slithered down the stairs, curling affectionately around Rachel's feet.

The Oracle's mummy crumbled, falling away until it was nothing but a pile of dust in an old tie-dyed dress. Mist enveloped Rachel in a column. For a moment I couldn't see her at all. Then the smoke cleared.

Rachel collapsed and curled into the fetal position. My friends and I rushed forward, but Apollo said, "Stop! This is the most delicate part."

"What's going on?" I demanded. "What do you mean?" Apollo studied Rachel with concern. "Either the spirit takes hold, or it doesn't."

"And if it doesn't?" Annabeth asked. "Five syllables," Apollo said, counting them on his fingers. Y/N muttered, "Oh no." he let his head drop. "He's said that to me before. 'That would be real bad.'" he quoted. Apollo pointed in acknowledgment. "That's the one, baby."

Despite Apollo's warning, I ran forward and knelt over Rachel. The smell of the attic was gone. The Mist sank into the ground and the green light faded. But Rachel was still pale. She was barely breathing. Then her eyes fluttered open. She focused on me with difficulty. "Percy."

"Are you okay?" She tried to sit up. "Ow." She pressed her hands to her temples. "Rachel," Nico said, "your life aura almost faded completely. I could see you dying."

"I'm all right," she murmured. "Please, help me up. The visions, they're a little disorienting."

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked. Apollo drifted down from the porch. "Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce the new Oracle of Delphi."

"You're kidding," Annabeth said. Rachel managed a weak smile. "It's a little surprising to me too, but this is my fate. I saw it when I was in New York. I know why I was born with true sight. I was meant to become the Oracle." I blinked. "You mean you can tell the future now?"

"Not all the time," she said. "But there are visions, images, words in my mind. When someone asks me a question, I... Oh no-"

"It's starting," Apollo announced. "This is quicker than usual." Rachel doubled over like someone had punched her. Then she stood up straight and her eyes glowed serpent green.

When she spoke, her voice sounded tripled, like three Rachels were talking at once:

"Eight half-bloods shall answer the call.
To storm or fire, the world must fall.
The earth in confusion, nature itself divided
To guide the rest, an ancient prediction provided
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.
The fate of all life lies waiting
Within the heart of darkness fading"

At the last word, Rachel collapsed. Nico and I caught her and helped her to the porch. Her skin was feverish. "I'm all right," she said, her voice returning to normal. "What was that?" I asked. She shook her head, confused. "What was what?"

"I believe," Apollo said, "that we just heard the next Great Prophecy."

"Greaaaaaaat." Y/N drawled, a tired scowl on his face. He shook his head. "What does it mean?" I demanded. Rachel frowned. "I don't even remember what I said."

"No," Apollo mused. "The spirit will only speak through you occasionally. The rest of the time, our Rachel will be much as she's always been. There's no point in grilling her, even if she has just issued the next big prediction for the future of the world."

"What?" I said. "But-"

"Percy," Apollo said, "I wouldn't worry too much. The last Great Prophecy about you took almost seventy years to complete. This one may not even happen in your lifetime."

I thought about the lines Rachel had spoken in that creepy voice: about storm and fire and the Doors of Death. "Maybe," I said, "but it didn't sound so good."

"No," said Apollo cheerfully. "It certainly didn't. She's going to make a wonderful Oracle!"

It was hard to drop the subject, but Apollo insisted that Rachel needed to rest, and she did look pretty disoriented.

"I'm sorry, Percy," she said. "Back on Olympus, I didn't explain everything to you, but the calling frightened me. I didn't think you'd understand."

"I still don't," I admitted. "But I guess I'm happy for you." Rachel smiled. "Happy probably isn't the right word. Seeing the future isn't going to be easy, but it's my destiny. I only hope my family..."

She didn't finish her thought. "Will you still go to Clarion Academy?" I asked.

"I made a promise to my father. I guess I'll try to be a normal kid during the school year, but-"

"But right now you need sleep," Apollo scolded. "Chiron, I don't think the attic is the proper place for our new Oracle, do you?"

"No, indeed." Chiron looked a lot better now that Apollo had worked some medical magic on him. "Rachel may use a guest room in the Big House for now, until we give the matter more thought. We finally have an excuse to move the last of Y/N's garbage from the room." My friend sighed.

"I'm thinking a cave in the hills," Apollo mused. "With torches and a big purple curtain over the entrance... really mysterious. But inside, a totally decked-out pad with a game room and one of those home theater systems."

Chiron cleared his throat loudly. "What?" Apollo demanded. Rachel kissed me on the cheek. "Good-bye, Percy," she whispered. "And I don't have to see the future to tell you what to do now, do I?"

Her eyes seemed more piercing than before. I blushed. "No."

"Good," she said. Then she turned and followed Apollo into the Big House.

[Y/N's POV]

The rest of the day was strange. Nearly as unusual as the start of it. Campers trickled into the valley by cars, pegasi, and chariot. The wounded were healed, and the dead were given proper services at the campfire.

Silena's shroud was hot pink, but embroidered with an electric spear. Both the Aphrodite and Ares cabin claimed her as their hero. No one brought up the word spy. That secret was torched with the shroud as nasty smelling designer perfume drifted into the air.

Ethan Nakamura was given a shroud. It was a black silk sheet with a logo of swords, crossed under a set of scales. Balance.

As I watched his shroud burn I hoped that Ethan knew his sacrifice mattered in the end. He'd paid much more than his eye for balance, but he got it. The minor gods would finally get their respect. And hopefully, there wouldn't be any more infighting between the gods.

Speaking of infighting, I remembered someone who I'd grappled with over the last few years. The person who saved my life (?). Lou Ellen.

I took a careful step off the beaten path, following the breeze, until I was led into a clearing in the woods. There she was, sitting before Chiron, explaining emphatically.

I stepped into the area silently, hearing her explain the same things she did to me. Chiron nodded and listened intently, taking in Lou Ellen's truths when he looked up and noticed me.

He beckoned me over, and when Lou Ellen saw me, she gasped with relief. I looked at her. She looked just like she did in my head, but there was a lot more emotion on her now.

"Is what Lou Ellen says, true, Y/N?" Chiron asked hesitantly. I looked down at her, breathing steadily, trying to put all the pieces together.

I looked up at Chiron, and nodded surely. The old centaur let out a sigh of relief before wheeling up to Lou Ellen with a gentle smile poking out from his beard.

He unlocked her chains and Lou Ellen looked at him, not exactly understanding why he was doing this. "You're just... gonna let me go?" she wavered.

Chiron waved his hand. "I will not lie and say you haven't mistakes, miss Blackstone, but after everything we have been through here the last several years, to see someone regret their actions, and atone for them in such important ways, I figure they deserve a second chance as much as anybody."

Chiron smiled at the girl, and Lou Ellen returned one cautiously. The centaur turned and gently squeeze my arm, before he left the area, leaving me with the daughter of Hecate, who massaged her wrists.

She looked up at me expectantly, and I didn't really know what to say. "Y/N..." she muttered and stood to face me. She was about a foot shorter than I was so she had to strain her neck up to meet my eyes.

"How did you know?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Remember how I said you'd die if the demon came out too soon?" I folded my arms and nodded.

"Well. Part of the spell I cast was to keep a specific part of its power. It's how you survived the labyrinth. When its host was dying, the demon went into overdrive, healing you to the bare minimum to stay alive. Though, Erebus was ready to pull the demon free, and I doubt the demon would've healed you on its own, so I cut as much of it loose as I could, and kept the important part in tact."

I didn't know what to say, but I kept my eyes on Lou Ellen, the shorter girl looking nervously up at me as I bit the inside of my lip, running though everything in my head.

She started mumbling, stuttering and stammering as she used her hands nervously to explain everything again.

I didn't need to hear it. I hugged her.

The breeze wafted through the clearing, mirroring the calm that took me over since the end of the battle.

"Welcome back." I said. Lou Ellen carefully hugged me in return. "Let's go to the pavilion. I'm starving." I let go and stepped back to observe her.

Her green eyes wavered gently and her hair shuddered in the wind. She nodded to my suggestion, and we walked off to get a much-deserved meal after everything.

Dinner was quiet. The only real memorable moment was Juniper screaming and lunging at Grover, crying his name and flying through the air to tackle him in a hug. Everyone cheered. It was a beautiful sight to see after all the torment of the last year or so. They went down to the beach to walk in the moonlight.

As I walked up to the offertory fire, I found myself staring absentmindedly into the flames. I put my plate down beside the hearth, and traced the tips of my fingers along the ring on my other hand.

I hadn't thought about it before now, but after losing the demon, and cutting myself off from Erebus, what would have become of this?

I pulled it off, and held in my palm. It was just a small black ring. Something that used to be an all-powerful weapon, that sucked the life out of anything it wounded.

It had been reduced to some small, insignificant piece of jewelry.

It was funny, in a way. The creator of the weapon had also been the creator of a lot of suffering for me and the people I love.

I wasn't going to act like I understood the logic of it all, but it seems like the link being torn removed any power from the weapon. I tossed the ring a few inches in the air and watched as it clattered back into my palm harmlessly.

Blackout was a strong weapon. Very strong. It could have cut through almost anything, and managed to get me out of more than a few sticky situations over the few years that I had it.

But as I stared down at it, the crystal band laying there in my palm, my mind didn't drift to all of the victories I'd had with it. I only thought about all of the desperation, the agony that forced me to draw it.

Thoughtlessly, I moved my hand over the hearth fire, and rolled it over, letting the ring slip off of my palm. It sunk into the flames like a rock in the water.

After watching it for a few moments, the ring started to waver, like it was struggling to hold its shape. Then, it turned into a small puff of black smog and joined in with the rest of the smoke from the fire.

I stared into the fire for a bit, before turning heel and venturing back to the pavilion. Most people had left by then, but Annabeth saw me coming, stood, and met me halfway, pressing her lips against mine.

There was scattered half heart hearted applause, but I wasn't asking for an ovation either. At this point, I think I'd like to be overlooked once in a while. Just leave me out of some messes.

As many times as Annabeth had kissed me, I don't think that it's ever been less than amazing. But right now, after both of us thought I was gone, it almost feels like there was a little bit more fire.

I really do love this girl with everything in me. Even when my shoulders carried the proverbial weight of the world, she made it feel like I was flying. I say proverbial because I've literally held the sky before. Hell, she held it longer than I did. 0/10 though. Neither of us would recommend.

Though, none of the past mattered right now. It was all about the future. All about the future we could have together. The future that everyone I knew could now build.

I took her hand and ran off into the big house, to get the surprise we had made for Percy earlier.

[Percy's POV]

Mrs. O'Leary romped around happily, eating everybody's table scraps. Nico sat at the main table with Chiron and Mr. D, and nobody seemed to think this was out of place.

Everybody was patting Nico on the back, complimenting him on his fighting. Even the Ares kids seemed to think he was pretty cool. 'Hey, show up with an army of undead warriors to save the day, and suddenly you're everybody's best friend.'

Slowly, the dinner crowd trickled away. Some went to the campfire for a sing-along. Others went to bed. I sat at the Poseidon table by myself and watched the moonlight on Long Island Sound. I could see Grover and Juniper at the beach, holding hands and talking. It was peaceful.

"Hey." Annabeth slid next to me on the bench. Y/N worked his way in on the other side. "Happy birthday, Perce." he said, pushing a large blue misshaped cupcake in front of me. I stared at them. "What?"

"It's August 18th," he said. "That's your birthday, isn't it? I might've taken a few blows to the head, Percy, but I'm still good with birthdays."

I was stunned. It hadn't even occurred to me, but he was right. I had turned sixteen this morning, the same morning I'd made the choice to give Luke the knife. The prophecy had come true right on schedule, and I hadn't even thought about the fact that it was my birthday.

"Make a wish," Y/N said. "Did you bake this yourselves?" I asked. "Tyson helped." Annabeth joked.

"That explains why it looks like a chocolate brick," I said. "With extra blue cement." Y/N added. We laughed softly together. I thought for a second, then blew out the candle.

Y/N cut it in quarters for some reason and passed the pieces out, eating with our fingers. But before I had a chance to dig into mine, Y/N tapped me on the shoulder and pointed off into the cabins. There, sitting by herself, carving arrows on the porch of her cabin was Zoe.

"Go celebrate with her, Percy." I turned back to him, trying to ask what he meant, but he and Annabeth had quickly left to go join the other campers at the fire. They walked hand in hand and I found myself smiling.

I decided to take his advice. I picked up the plate the cake was on, and walked across the common area, sitting beside Zoe on the steps up to Cabin 8. She looked up at me in surprise. "Happy birthday, Percy." she smiled. I passed her the slice and sat there with her in silence.

We watched the sky. Crickets and monsters were making noise in the woods, but otherwise it was quiet.

"You've saved the world again," she said, simply smiling. "We saved the world again." I replied, thinking how none of this would have been possible, without hers, and everyone else's help.

"And Rachel is now the new Oracle, which means she will not be dating anybody." she said. "You don't sound disappointed," I noticed. Zoe shrugged. "Perhaps it does not matter to me."

"Uh-huh." She raised an eyebrow. "Is there something you would like to tell me, Perseus?" she asked. "You'd probably kick my butt." Zoe chuckled brightly. The way the moon glittered and shone onto her face almost took my breath away. "You know I would kick your butt easily."

I brushed the cake off my hands. "When I was at the River Styx, turning invulnerable... Nico said I had to concentrate on one thing that kept me anchored to the world, that made me want to stay mortal."

The former hunter kept her eyes on the horizon. "Yes?" she asked."Then up on Olympus," I said, "when they wanted to make me a god and stuff, I kept thinking-"

"So it was your desire to become immortal, Percy?"

"Well, maybe a little. But I didn't, because I thought, I didn't want things to stay the same for eternity, because things could always get better. And I was thinking..." My throat felt really dry.

"Was there anything you had specifically in mind that you wanted to improve?" Zoe asked, her voice smooth like the wind. I looked over and saw that she was trying not to smile. "You're laughing at me," I complained.

"I am not!" she fought it back.

"You are not making this easy." Then she let out a guttural laugh. Something she couldn't contain. Her laugh reminded me of the gentle sound of the woods. Birds chirping, leaves rustling, and a reminder that everything would be alright.

She put her arms gently on my shoulders. "Perseus Jackson, as long as we should both live, I will make nothing easy for you. I would hope you can get accustomed to it."

When she kissed me, I had the feeling my brain was melting right through my ears. I could've stayed that way forever, except a voice behind us shouted in relief, "Oh, gods, finally!"

Suddenly the cabin porch was filled with torchlight and campers. Y/N led the way as the eavesdroppers charged and hoisted us both onto their shoulders. "Oh, come on!" I complained. "Is there no privacy?"

"The lovebirds need to cool off!" Clarisse said with glee. "The canoe lake!" Connor Stoll shouted. "I've been working on making this relationship happen for two and half years, Percy!" Y/N shouted. "But you're still taking a swim for kissing my sister!"

With a huge cheer, they carried us down the hill, but they kept us close enough to hold hands. "By the way guys, this counts for the next ten birthdays AND Christmases!" Y/N shouted. Zoe was laughing, and I couldn't help laughing too, even though my face was completely red. We held hands right up to the moment they dumped us in the water.

Afterward, I had the last laugh. I made an air bubble at the bottom of the lake. Our friends kept waiting for us to come up, but hey, when you're the son of Poseidon, you don't have to hurry. And it was pretty much the best underwater kiss of all time.

[Y/N's POV]

Camp ran a little late this summer. It went two more weeks than usual, right up to the week before what would be a new school year. I was way too tired to go back to school, but I was happy to return to some semblance of normalcy.

It was two of the best weeks I'd ever had in my life. I mean, yeah. Annabeth would wring my neck if I even considered any other idea.

Percy and Zoe were happy, thankfully. A few days later, I sat him down at the edge of the docks, and reminded him, "She's been through a lot, Percy. Treat her well. She deserves it." he nodded and patted me on the back. After that, I shoved him off the docks and watched him fall helplessly back in the water.

He wasn't happy about that. Using his Poseidon powers, the water reached up out of the lake and grabbed me, dragging me in too. Annabeth and Zoe watched with fierce laughter from the wooden boardwalk.

I swam over to the dock, hoisting my upper body onto the wood, smiling at my girlfriend who approached the edge. Annabeth knelt down and asked, "You're never going to learn to stop messing with him around water, are you?" I grinned, and replied, "Never."

Annabeth smiled beautifully and reached down and put her hands on my face, kissing me softly, and making me feel all kinds of warm and fuzzy inside. When she let go, I all but fell back into the water peacefully, letting the water wash around me, unopposed.

I floated calmly for a moment, until someone leapt into the lake. Zoe jumped onto me and tried to drown me for pushing Percy in.

That was a hell of a day.

Grover had taken over the satyr seekers and was sending them out across the world to find unclaimed half-bloods. So far, the gods had kept their promise. New demigods were popping up all over the place, not just in America, but in a lot of other countries as well.

"We can hardly keep up," Grover admitted one afternoon as we were taking a break at the canoe lake. "We're going to need a bigger travel budget, and I could use a hundred more satyrs."

"Yeah, but the satyrs you have are working super hard," I said. "I think they're scared of you." Grover blushed. "That's silly. I'm not scary."

"You're a lord of the Wild, dude." Percy chuckled. "The chosen one of Pan. A member of the Council of-"

"Stop it!" Grover protested. "You're as bad as Juniper. I think she wants me to run for president next." I chuckled. "I'd vote for you." I joked. "Granted, I can't vote, but you're definitely better than a lot of these guys."

He chewed on a tin can as we stared across the pond at the line of new cabins under construction.

The U-shape would soon be a complete rectangle, and the demigods had really taken to the new task with gusto. Nico had some undead builders working on the Hades cabin. Even though he was still the only kid in it, it was going to look pretty cool: solid obsidian walls with a skull over the door and torches that burned with green fire twenty-four hours a day.

Next to that were the cabins of Iris, Nemesis, and I could see Lou Ellen guiding the Hecate builders past several other cabins I didn't know yet.

I think there was a kid named Matt who was Eris' son, so he was helping get that that cabin set up. They kept adding new ones to the blueprints every day.

It was going so well, and Annabeth and Chiron were talking about adding an entirely new wing of cabins just so they could have enough room.

The Hermes cabin was a lot less crowded now, because most of the unclaimed kids had received signs from their godly parents.

It happened almost every night, and every night more demigods straggled over the property line with the satyr guides, usually with some nasty monsters pursuing them, but pretty much all of them made it through.

"It's going to be a lot different next summer," I said. "Chiron's expecting we'll have twice as many campers."

"Yeah," Grover agreed, "but it'll be the same old place." He sighed contentedly. We watched as Tyson led a group of Cyclops builders. They were hoisting huge stones in place for the Hecate cabin, and I knew it was a delicate job.

Lou Ellen and her siblings had engraved every stone with magical writing, and if they dropped one, it would either explode or turn everyone within half a mile into a tree. I figured nobody but Grover would like that.

"I'll be traveling a lot," Grover warned, "between protecting nature and finding half-bloods. I may not see you guys as much."

"Won't change anything," I said. "You're still our best friend." He grinned. "Except for Annabeth and Zoe." Percy and I smiled at the satyr. "That's different."

"Yeah," he agreed. "It sure is."

That evening was the last night of camp, the bead ceremony. The Hephaestus cabin had designed the bead this year. It showed the Empire State Building, and etched in tiny Greek letters, spiraling around the image, were the names of all the heroes who had died defending Olympus.

There were too many names, but I was proud to wear the bead. I put it on my camp necklace, which I hardly ever wore. I had fourteen beads, and at this point, the necklace was more of a decoration than jewelry. It was too clunky to wear regularly.

"Never forget this summer!" Chiron told us. He had healed remarkably well, but he still trotted in front of the fire with a slight limp. "We have discovered bravery and friendship and courage this summer. We have upheld the honor of the camp."

He smiled at us, and everybody cheered. As I looked at the fire, I saw a little girl in a brown dress tending the flames. She winked at me with red glowing eyes. No one else seemed to notice her, but I realized maybe she preferred it that way.

"And now, early to bed!" he said. "Remember, you must vacate your cabins by noon tomorrow unless you've made arrangements to stay the year with us. The cleaning harpies will eat any stragglers, and I'd hate to end the summer on a sour note!"

The next morning, Percy, Zoe, Annabeth and I stood at the top of Half-Blood Hill. We watched the buses and vans pull away, taking most of the campers back to the real world.

A few old-timers would be staying behind, and a few of the newcomers, but Percy and I were heading back to Goode High School for my sophomore year. It was a weird sensation to be going back to the mortal world after everything.

But I'd take whatever I could get at this point.

"Good-bye," Rachel said to us as she shouldered her bag. She looked pretty nervous, but she was keeping a promise to her father and attending Clarion Academy in New Hampshire. It would be next summer before we got our Oracle back.

"You'll do great." Annabeth hugged her. Funny, she seemed to get along fine with Rachel these days. Rachel bit her lip.

"I hope you're right. I'm a little worried. What if somebody asks what's on the next math test and I start spouting a prophecy in the middle of geometry class? The Pythagorean theorem shall be problem two... Gods, that would be embarrassing."

Annabeth and Zoe laughed, and to my relief, it made Rachel smile. "Well," she said, "you guys be good to each other." Rachel wished us well and ran down the hill to catch her ride.

Annabeth, thank the gods, would be staying in New York. She'd gotten permission from her parents to attend a boarding school in the city so she could be close to Olympus and oversee the rebuilding efforts.

"And close to me?" I hoped. "Well, someone's got a big sense of his own importance." But she smirked and laced her fingers through mine. "But, yeah. Close to you."

The guard dragon Peleus curled contentedly around the pine tree underneath the Golden Fleece and began to snore, blowing steam with every breath. "We still on for Saturday?" Percy asked.

I looked at Annabeth and she nodded. Percy and Zoe walked hand in hand down to the bottom of the hill. I smiled and looked back at Annabeth who had a strange expression on her face.

"You've been thinking about Rachel's prophecy?" I asked Annabeth. She frowned. "How did you know?" I chuckled. "Because I know you better than I know myself." She bumped me with her shoulder and grinned.

"Okay, so I have. Eight half-bloods shall answer the call. I wonder who they'll be. We're going to have so many new faces next summer." I sighed and nodded.

"Not to mention, the earth in confusion, and the world falling in storm or fire, and blah blah blah." I said, talking with my hand.

Annabeth pursed her lips. "And foes at the Doors of Death. I don't know, Y/N, but I don't like it. I thought... well, maybe we'd get some peace for a change."

"Wouldn't be Camp Half-Blood if it was peaceful," I said. "I guess you're right... Or maybe the prophecy won't happen for years."

"Could be an issue for whoever comes next." I thought out loud. "Then we can get really old and lay back and put our feet up." She nodded, though she still seemed uneasy.

I didn't blame her, but it was hard to feel too upset on a nice day, with her next to me, knowing that I wasn't really saying good-bye.

We had lots of time. I wrapped my arms around her from behind, kissing her cheek softly.

When we let go, and I looked into her eyes, she smiled brightly. I returned it, and just held her, swaying on the top of the hill, to the beat of my own music. I felt happy.

This was my life. And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I raced down the hill to meet Percy, and catch a ride back home with Mrs Jackson and Mr Blofis.

We waited the rest of the week, until Saturday came. We met at the base of the hill, and caught a ride with the Gray sisters, to finally fulfill the promise I made Annabeth in the Empire State Building.

We stood just shy of the entrance to Coney Island.

The rhythmic thud of distant drumming and other music mixed with the intermittent cheers and laughter of the carnival crowd, cast an atmosphere that felt alive and electric.

As Annabeth and I walked hand in hand, the neon lights of Coney Island painted streaks of color across the mid-day sky.

Percy and Zoe followed close behind, their own shared laughter adding to the symphony of joy that enveloped us.

Percy walked up and nudged my shoulder. "You ever think we'd be here, doing this, after everything?" he asked, a subtle grin on his face.

I shot him a sideways glance, returning the grin. "Honestly, Percy, I wasn't sure of anything during the last month."

He nodded, his eyes wandering to Zoe as she engaged Annabeth in conversation. "Crazy how life works out, huh?"

"Oh, don't get me started on crazy. I could write a whole book on crazy." I joked.

We approached a row of carnival games, colorful stalls with enticing prizes on display. Zoe eyed a ring-toss game, a mischievous gleam in her eyes. "Care to test your skills?" she challenged.

A knowing smirk played on Percy's lips. "You're on."

While she thoroughly kicked his ass, I sat on a nearby bench with Annabeth, not doing much of anything but talking, enjoying each other's company.

Once Zoe dismantled Percy in the ring toss, I went and bought everyone some of Nathan's famous hot dogs. They were pretty good, as far as hot dogs went.

Percy decided to challenge me to one of those water shooting games. You know those ones? The ones where you aim the cannon at a clown mouth or a balloon and the first person to fill it with water wins.

Yeah, Percy cheated at that. He made the water shoot faster out of his than it did mine. No, I'm not a sore loser, what gave you that idea?

In return, I took him off his high horse in darts.

I popped at least two balloons with every dart I threw. Percy would have been lucky to pop one a throw, but Zoe stepped up in his place to defend their honor.

A small crowd had gathered around the two of us. We couldn't miss. It got so bad that Percy was trying to knock me off my game, saying a whole lot of nonsense, trying to get into my head.

Joke's on him. I had an actual monster in my head. This was nothing. Annabeth was doing something similar to Zoe, whispering something into her ear.

Suddenly, Zoe's face flushed, and her throw went awry. Annabeth let out a cheer, as did the half of the crowd that was on my side.

I just need to make one more throw, and it would be over. The dart ran straight through the ballon, and I won a prize off the top shelf, immediately handing over a stuffed moose to the person who helped me win the game.

"What did you say to her?" I asked, kissing her on the cheek. Annabeth giggled a bit. "Dirty things."

"Like what?" Annabeth smirked. "Things about you." And I didn't ask any more questions about it.

They had a few rides that we made it through without barfing up the hot dogs, and one that I didn't. That octopus ride is my current #1 enemy.

I went up to the basketball booth, thinking this would be all too easy, but every shot I had got stuck in the rim. I realized quickly that the whole attraction was a scam. Those hoops are bent out of shape.

I watched Zoe wow everyone with the high striker thing, when she slammed the hammer into the pedal and the bell got dented.

Percy challenged Annabeth to a go-kart race, and seeing as Percy can't drive, she raced laps around him.

My sister and I watched their "friendly" competition, and talked a bit. Just about everything that led to this moment.

"It's funny how much things can change in just two and a half years, huh?" I asked. Zoe smiled. "Time changes all without prejudice, Y/N." she patted me on the back.

After the chaos we made it through, just to be sitting here now watching the people we loved have a great time, it was almost overwhelming.

"Are you sure Percy doesn't need his ass kicked?" I asked. Zoe snorted and closed her eyes laughing. "No, Y/N, he is wonderful. But I will certainly kick his ass myself before I come to you about it."

I couldn't help but laugh with her. I mean she 100% did not need my help in the matter, but as a brother, I feel like it's my duty to threaten boys for her.

As the night unfolded, we strolled along the boardwalk, tasting all the foods the carnival had to offer. There was no way that even half of it would get approved by the fda.

People's laughter echoed from the carousel, where couples twirled in endless circles.

We inevitably approached the Ferris wheel, the giant shadow sticking out against the night sky. Annabeth's eyes widened with excitement, and she took my hand, pulling me towards it.

The line moved surprisingly quickly, and soon enough we were loading ourselves into one of the brightly lit cars of the wheel.

The four of us settled into the cozy compartment. The climb was slow, giving us the view of the whole of Coney Island, as we got higher, and watched it transform into a painting of dazzling lights and distant, happy ruckus.

As the wheel reached the precipice, a hush fell over us, catching our breath in the beauty of the city. After everything, the sight was still beyond stunning.

Annabeth leaned back into my chest, her gaze fixed on the city lights around us. "I never thought we'd get a moment like this," she said softly.

I smiled, wrapping my arms around her. "Yeah... it's nuts." I smiled down at the beauty in my arms. "And I wouldn't want it any other way."

The descent of the wheel sent us back into the heartbeat of the carnival, and the magic of the moment lingered as we stepped off.

The night kept going, filled with laughter, cotton candy, and a rollercoaster that almost gave me whiplash. But it was exhilarating in ways I can't explain.

Under the star dotted sky, we found ourselves trotting along the beach, the carnival a soft ruckus in the distance.

The waves whispered quietly to the ocean, the quiet rhythm of the ocean gave a soothing backdrop to the laughter and the memories we shared.

"Okay, but you said you got impaled by a swordfish. Come on, man!" Percy joked. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Percy, you said that three of you drowned in the same bathtub at the same time!" I answered. "You followed that up, by saying 'it was a big bathtub' come on, back at you!"

The girls fought fits of laughter as Percy and I argued about more trivial things like that. Eventually, they put themselves between the two of us.

Zoe, with a mischievous grin, suggested a dance under the moonlight. Percy chuckled, taking her hand, and the two of them swayed to an imaginary melody on the deserted beach.

Annabeth, catching the infectious spirit, tugged at my hand as well, and soon we joined Percy and Zoe in the impromptu dance on the beach. "Only took three years to finally get a proper moonlit dance." I joked. Annabeth just leaned into me, swaying gently as she hummed some song I didn't know.

As the clock approached midnight, we settled on the sand, the sounds of the ocean a soft lullaby. The carnival in the distance rung out, and the towering tides cast dancing shadows on the sand. Annabeth laid against me, her head on my shoulder.

"I never want this to end," she whispered.

"Me neither," I replied, savoring the serenity of the moment.

The night, while unfortunately not endless, gave us a reprieve, a chance to celebrate our survival, our loves, and the friends we had lost.

As we walked back, the carnival lights gradually dimming, I couldn't help but reflect on everything. Life, all the struggle, the success that followed, the extra struggles that followed right after.

Annabeth squeezed my hand, her gray eyes reflecting the carnival lights. "Hey," she said, breaking the comfortable silence. "Let's check out the Ferris wheel one more time before we go."

She pulled my hand as we ran off back into the festivities, joy in the air, not a care in the world for anything but the now.

And, I know what you're going to ask.

Y/N, after everything, why bother? Why would you keep going? What kind of masochist are you? After everything, you kept getting up and pushing through it.

What the hell is wrong with you?

I wish I knew.

All the pain. The anguish, the bloodshed, the trauma. Why would anyone want to keep going after all that?

I certainly didn't want to, I'll tell you that much.

You were a soldier in a war you had no part in starting. Why'd you fight?

I essentially had no choice. It was fight or let everything I love die. That's not a good set of options, but one's clearly better than the other.

You just kept taking the blows and fighting through them. Rejection by your mother, the demon's influence, Erebus' plans, your time in the labyrinth, actually dying twice! (Not sure on that number, myself.)

Losing your friends, watching people you knew as a child give their lives for the cause.

How'd you do it? Why would you do it? Why haven't you seen a therapist yet?

I'll give you an answer to all of those questions at once.

Because that's how I was raised. It's all I know how to do at this point. It's who I am. That's what I do.

That's the nature of a demigod.

Hey, guys. I just want to say thank you for reading this story. Especially seeing as this is the third time I've had to upload it. I've lost an account, and another book over the last year or so because of Wattpad's nonsense.

I really do appreciate it after everything going on in the world, and in your own lives I'm sure, that you've stuck with me.

I really hope you enjoyed the story, and I'm hoping you're as excited for what I have next as I am.

I'm not sure if I'll jump straight into Heroes of Olympus, but I've been working on it, as well as a few other stories. So stay tuned, and once again, thank you so much for being here.

I'll post a q&a tomorrow just to close everything out officially. See you there, and signing off again, this has been Foolish. Appreciate you guys. Bye bye!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 499 30
The demigods and magicians thought they might finally get a break. Alas, something bad always happens. That's just how it goes. But this time, they'r...
22.7K 622 69
Book One Y/n L/n isn't like most demigods. Being a daughter of Poseidon makes her an outcast, especially since the Big Three swore to never have chil...
57.8K 1.4K 38
two teens. one camp. one love story. forever & for always. (undergoing heavy editing.) _______________________________ the only characters I own fr...
911K 12.4K 37
As it says these are one shots of people meet percabeth or demigods. Important!!! I own nothing!! Pjo characters belong to Rick Riordan