The Nature of a Demigod

By toofoolishauthor

Join a young Demigod as he fights, learns, loves, and adventures both by himself and with his newfound compan... More

The Lightning Thief
Pre-Algebra
Lost and Found
Summer Camp
Tour Guides
Parents
Learning the Ropes
Questionable Questing
Going on an Adventure!
Aunty Em
Canine Counseling
Tense Topics
Poker Face
Now its Water Beds??
Ah, Hell
Meet the Family
Summer's Over
The Sea of Monsters
Lunch with a Runaway
School's Out
Hailing a 'Cab'
Bull Fighting
Oh, Brother
Race Day
Breaking the Rules
Cruising
Tooth for a Tooth
Hungry Hungry Hydra
A Whirlpool and a Dark Place
Spa Day
Losing some Hair
Swim with your Legs
Big Fat Goat Wedding
Fighting with a Shadow
Healing a Tree
The Titan's Curse
Winter Training
Dancing in the Moonlight
Falling off a Cliff
Recruiting
A Really Bad Dream
(Not) Working Together
The Camp Council
Breaking (More) Rules
Don't Pet the Exhibits
Uncomfortable Truths
Bone Chilling Cold
Hunks of Junk
Some Dam Problems
Madness
Family Business
Weight of the World
A Parent's Hand
A New Home
The Battle of the Labyrinth
Lost in the Dark
Teasing Dreams
A Haunting Photo
Stupid Prophecies
Worried Mothers
Prison Break
Maximum Effort
Dreams are the Worst
Let's All Take a Quiz
An Explosive Reunion
A Much Needed Vacation
Funeral Crasher
My Girl
Assailants in the Arena
The Things that Make
Shadow of a Doubt
Love and War
Aftermath
The Last Olympian
Date Night
Blowing up a Princess
Forewarning
War Council
Lessons in Shadow Travel
Revelations in Shadow and Fire
The World Down Under
Bottom of the River
World's Biggest Slumber Party
The War Begins
Battle of the Bridge
Love Hurts
Attempted Negotiations
Clashing with Titans
Unusual Reinforcements
Fire and Fear
The Helping Dead
The Darkest Decay
Mortality
All is Well... For now
Final Q&A

Lost no More

520 47 8
By toofoolishauthor

[Y/N's POV]

I felt sick. Kronos had taken form. He took Luke's form.

I hated the guy, more than a lot, but that wasn't right. The titan king roared in anger as Rachel steered us away from the traps, with no clear destination in mind. We just needed to get away from that dark mountain. We ran until we couldn't run anymore. Percy was moving so fast even I could hardly keep up.

I had to almost carry Annabeth away from the mountain. She was distraught. Luke was a horrible person, but he was one of her first friends. He was one of mine too. It hurt to think about, that he had gone so far as to give himself up completely to the resurrected Titan.

We finally came to a halt in a tunnel of white stone, like it was an actual cave. I couldn't hear the army still chasing after us, but I also couldn't get comfortable. Kronos was back in a body. And he wanted mine. I couldn't stop shaking. Those unnatural golden eyes glaring a hole through my soul. That could've been my eyes he stole. My body he was controlling.

If I had been caught in the labyrinth...

That very thought was stuck in my mind. Would my friends have been staring in terror into the eyes that used to be mine? Would my body be forced into fighting them? Would I have to... would I have to kill them?

"I can't go any farther," Rachel gasped, hugging her chest. Annabeth had been crying the entire time we'd been running. Now she collapsed and put her head between her knees.

Her sobs echoed in the tunnel. I ran my hands through my hair frantically, trying to dry the cold sweat that was sprinkling from my scalp. I stumbled and crashed on my butt next to Nico and Percy. I wanted to comfort Annabeth, but what was I supposed to tell her right now?

Was I supposed to just blurt out and ask, 'Hey, remember that guy we both used to be really good friends with a few years ago? Well, now his body is the host for the evil titan king that wants to kill us all! Sucks, don't it? Anyway, how are you doing otherwise?!"

I don't know what I'm supposed to do anymore. I'm too confused to even have another panic attack right now. I don't think I can even really process the idea of what just happened. Luke... a guy I got to learn from, a guy I respected...

He's gone this far... to turn himself into the body for the thing that could end the world... he's set Kronos' rise into motion... I can't believe it.

Nico dropped his sword next to Riptide, and I let mine dissipate into shimmering particles of silver.

Nico took a shaky breath, and said, "That sucked," I let out a strangled laugh. Wasn't much sure what else I was supposed to cobble together. 'That sucked' was pretty much a spark-notes of the last two months for all of us.

"You saved our lives," Percy said. Nico wiped the dust off his face. "Blame the girls for dragging me along. That's the only thing they could agree on. We needed to help you or you'd mess things up."

"Nice that they trust me so much," Percy shined my flashlight across the cavern. Water dripped from the stalactites like a slow-motion rain. I cleared my throat, fighting in vain to catch my breath.

"Look, man, we've known you long enough to know that any plans that you come up with fall apart near instantly. Annabeth thought quickly. I was gonna go in after you alone, but I got punched a couple times for even suggesting that."

Nico smiled sadly, and rubbed his fist where he punched me again. Percy's face turned worried. "Nico... you, uh, kind of gave yourself away." he said. I just now realized what had gone wrong. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"Oh, shit, dude... he's right." I realized. "You know? That wall of black stone? Yeah, it was cool looking and all that, but if Kronos didn't know who you were before, you can bet your ass that he does by now..." Nico frowned. "Big deal."

The subject was dropped quickly. He didn't seem nervous, but as someone who had over time become really good at hiding his emotions, I knew he was secretly terrified. I didn't bug him any further. Annabeth lifted her head. Her eyes were red from crying.

"What... what was wrong with Luke? What did they do to him?"

Percy told us for certain what he'd seen in the coffin, the way the last piece of Kronos's spirit had entered Luke's body when Ethan Nakamura pledged his service. That just confirmed the worst I had guessed on. "No," Annabeth whimpered. "That can't be true. He couldn't-"

"He gave himself over to Kronos," I said, tiredly, still trying to regulate my breathing. "That's not Luke anymore. He's gone."

"No!" she insisted. "You saw when Rachel hit him."

I nodded, looking at Rachel with respect. "You hit the Lord of the Titans in the... with a..." I stuttered, my words all trying to jump in front of the other. "You hit Kronos in the face with a hairbrush." Rachel looked embarrassed. "It was the only thing I had on me."

"That was awesome." I said, as Rachel flushed a bit. "But you saw," Annabeth insisted. "When it hit him, just for a second, he was dazed. He came back to his senses."

"So maybe Kronos wasn't completely settled in the body, or whatever," Percy said. "It doesn't mean Luke was in control."

"You want him to be evil, is that it?" Annabeth yelled. "You didn't know him before, Percy. I did!"

"What is it with you?!" I snapped. "Why do you keep defending him? He's killed people! He's tried to kill you! Do you or do you not remember last winter when he tricked you and trapped you under the entire SKY?!" I felt angry. "Percy may not have known him! BUT I DID! HE WAS MY FRIEND TOO, ANNABETH!!" I choked out through a sob.

All the emotion was this close to hitting me, and metaphorically knocking me off my feet. After all he's put us through, with how smart Annabeth is, it doesn't make any sense how she'd keep defending him.

"Whoa, you two," Rachel said. "Knock it off!"

Annabeth turned on her. "Stay out of it, mortal girl! If it wasn't for you..." Annabeth tried to talk more, but whatever she had ready to say, her voice broke. She put her head back down and sobbed miserably. I felt downright awful for yelling at her, and I couldn't do anything but kneel in front of her, and wrap my arms around her as she sobbed. She laid her face into my shoulder and let it all free.

I was in disbelief. I... I just couldn't accept what I saw. Kronos is alive. He's armed with his scythe, and the world is about to end. "We have to keep moving," Nico said. "He'll send monsters after us."

Nobody was in any shape to run, but Nico was right. I hauled myself up as Percy helped Rachel to her feet. "You did good back there," he told her.

She managed a weak smile. "Yeah, well. I didn't want you to die." She blushed. "I mean...just because, you know. You owe me too many favors. How am I going to collect if you die?"

I cradled Annabeth, and all but whispered into her ear. "Annabeth... I'm really sorry. But we have to move." She looked into my eyes, tears staining her cheeks, and nodded, sniffling weakly. "I know," she said. "I'm... I'm all right."

It was pretty easy to tell that she wasn't alright though. I offered a hand, and she took it, letting me pull her to her feet, and we staggered back into the depths of the labyrinth again. I was waiting. Waiting for a monster to strike. Waiting for another attacker I'd have to fight, waiting for something to emerge from the shadows.

Being in here for so long made me feel crazy. More so than usual. I felt like if I stopped moving for more than a minute, something was going to show up and gut me. "Back to New York," I said. "Rachel, can you-"

I froze. A few feet in front of us, my flashlight beam fixed on a trampled clump of red fabric lying on the ground. It was a Rasta cap: the one Grover always wore.

[Percy's POV]

My hands shook as I picked up the cap. It looked like it had been stepped on by a huge muddy boot. After all that I'd gone through today, I couldn't stand the thought that something might've happened to Grover, too.

Then I noticed something else. The cave floor was mushy and wet from the water dripping off the stalactites. There were large footprints like Tyson's, and smaller ones, goat hooves, leading off to the left.

"We have to follow them," I said. "They went that way. It must have been recently."

"What about Camp Half-Blood?" Nico said. "There's no time."

"We have to find them," Annabeth insisted. "They're our friends."

She picked up Grover's smashed cap and forged ahead. Y/N ran after her hastily, and drew his sword, its silver glow dimly lighting the path. I followed bracing myself for the worst. The tunnel was treacherous. It sloped at weird angles and was slimy with moisture. Half the time we were slipping and sliding rather than walking.

Finally we got to the bottom of a slope and found ourselves in a large cave with huge stalagmite columns. Through the center of the room ran an underground river, and Tyson was sitting by the banks, cradling Grover in his lap. Grover's eyes were closed. He wasn't moving.

"Tyson!" I yelled.

"Percy! Come quick!"

We ran over to him. Grover wasn't dead, thank the gods, but his whole body trembled like he was freezing to death. "What happened?" I asked.

"So many things," Tyson murmured. "Large snake. Large dogs. Men with swords. But then... we got close to here. Grover was excited. He ran. Then we reached this room, and he fell. Like this."

"Did he say anything?" I asked.

"He said, 'We're close.' Then hit his head on rocks."

I knelt next to him. The only other time I'd seen Grover pass out was New Mexico, when he'd felt the presence of Pan. I shined my flashlight around the cavern. The rocks glittered. At the far end was the entrance to another cave, flanked by gigantic columns of crystal that looked like diamonds. And beyond that entrance...

"Grover," I said. "Wake up."

"Uhhhhhhhh."

Annabeth knelt next to him and splashed icy cold river water in his face. "Splurg!" His eyelids fluttered. "Y/N? Percy? Annabeth? Where..."

"It's okay," I said. "You passed out. The presence was too much for you."

"I- I remember. Pan."

Y/N suddenly seized, and shivered like he was incredibly cold. His eyes widened in disbelief. It was just like in New Mexico. He took a deep breath through his nose, and muttered something I couldn't hear. Then, he lifted a hand and pointed down at the other end of the cave.

"Yeah..." he said. "He's right through there."

***

I made quick introductions, since Tyson and Grover had never met Rachel. Tyson told Rachel she was pretty, which made Annabeth's nostrils flare like she was going to blow fire. "Anyway," I said. "Come on, Grover. Lean on me."

Y/N and I helped him up, and together we waded across the underground river. The current was strong. The water came up to our waists.

I willed myself to stay dry, which is a handy little ability, but that didn't help the others, and I could still feel the cold, like wading through a snowdrift. "I think we're in Carlsbad Caverns," Annabeth said, her teeth chattering.

"Maybe an unexplored section."

"How do you know?"

"Carlsbad is in New Mexico," she said. "That would explain last winter." I nodded. Grover's swooning episode had happened when we passed through New Mexico. That's where he'd felt closest to the power of Pan.

We got out of the water and kept walking. As the crystal pillars loomed larger, I started to feel the power emanating from the next room. I'd been in the presence of gods before, but this was different. My skin tingled with living energy. My weariness fell away, as if I'd just gotten a good night's sleep.

As we got closer, Y/N's teeth chattered relentlessly. It was like he was getting rapid hypothermia. But he held the determined look, despite his whole body shaking like he'd gone limp on a trampoline.

I could feel myself growing stronger, like one of those plants in a time-lapse video. And the scent coming from the cave was nothing like the dank wet underground. It smelled of trees and flowers and a warm summer day.

Grover whimpered with excitement. I was too stunned to talk. Even Nico seemed speechless. We stepped into the cave, and Rachel said, "Oh, wow." Y/N's legs went jelly, as he fought for breath and footing. It reminded me of someone having a nervous breakdown.

I'd never thought about him in relation to Pan. He was the son of the nature goddess, and Pan was like his... weird uncle that people aren't sure which family member he's related to. Either way, I can see why this kind of thing is going on with him.

The walls glittered with crystals, red, green, and blue. In the strange light, beautiful plants grew, giant orchids, star-shaped flowers, vines bursting with orange and purple berries that crept among the crystals. The cave floor was covered with green moss.

Overhead, the ceiling was higher than a cathedral, sparkling like a galaxy of stars. In the center of the cave stood a Roman-style bed, gilded wood shaped like a curly U, with velvet cushions.

Animals lounged around it, but they were animals that shouldn't have been alive. There was a dodo bird, something that looked like a cross between a wolf and a tiger, a huge rodent like the mother of all guinea pigs, and roaming behind the bed, picking berries with its trunk, was a wooly mammoth.

On the bed lay an old satyr. He watched us as we approached, his eyes as blue as the sky. His curly hair was white and so was his pointed beard. Even the goat fur on his legs was frosted with gray. His horns were enormous, glossy brown and curved. There was no way he could've hidden those under a hat the way Grover did. Around his neck hung a set of reed pipes.

Grover fell to his knees in front of the bed. "Lord Pan!"

The god smiled kindly, but there was sadness in his eyes. "Grover, my dear, brave satyr. I have waited a very long time for you."

"I... got lost," Grover apologized.

Pan laughed. It was a wonderful sound, like the first breeze of springtime, filling the whole cavern with hope. The tiger-wolf sighed and rested his head on the god's knee. The dodo bird pecked affectionately at the god's hooves, making a strange sound in the back of its bill. I could swear it was humming "It's a Small World."

Still, Pan looked tired. His whole form shimmered as if he were made of Mist.

I noticed my other friends were kneeling. They had awed looks on their faces. "Lord Pan." Y/N muttered. The god regarded him with a soft smile. "Hello, Y/N. I haven't seen you in a... long, long time. It's good to see you well." the old satyr said. I got to my knees.

"You have a humming dodo bird," I said stupidly. The god's eyes twinkled. "Yes, that's Dede. My little actress." Dede the dodo looked offended. She pecked at Pan's knee and hummed something that sounded like a funeral dirge.

"This is the most beautiful place!" Annabeth said. "It's better than any building ever designed."

"I am glad you like it, dear," Pan said. "It is one of the last wild places. My realm above is gone, I'm afraid. Only pockets remain. Tiny pieces of life. This one shall stay undisturbed... for a little longer."

"My lord," Grover said, "please, you must come back with me! The Elders will never believe it! They'll be overjoyed! You can save the wild!" Pan placed his hand on Grover's head and ruffled his curly hair. "You are so young, Grover. So good and true. I think I chose well."

"Chose?" Grover said. "I- I don't understand."

Pan's image flickered, momentarily turning to smoke. The giant guinea pig scuttled under the bed with a terrified squeal. The wooly mammoth grunted nervously. Dede stuck her head under her wing. Then Pan re-formed. "I have slept many eons," the god said forlornly. "My dreams have been dark. I wake fitfully, and each time my waking is shorter. Now we are near the end."

"What?" Grover cried. "But no! You're right here!"

"My dear satyr," Pan said. "I tried to tell the world, two thousand years ago. I announced it to Lysas, a satyr very much like you. He lived in Ephesus, and he tried to spread the word."

Annabeth's eyes widened. "The old story. A sailor passing by the coast of Ephesos heard a voice crying from the shore, 'Tell them the great god Pan is dead.'"

"But that wasn't true!" Grover said. "Your kind never believed it," Pan said. "You sweet, stubborn satyrs refused to accept my passing. And I love you for that, but you only delayed the inevitable. You only prolonged my long, painful passing, my dark twilight sleep. It must end."

"No!" Grover's voice trembled. "Dear Grover," Pan said. "You must accept the truth. Your companion, Nico, he understands."

Nico nodded slowly. "He's dying. He should have died long ago. This... this is more like a memory."

"But gods can't die," Grover said. "They can fade," Pan said, "when everything they stood for is gone. When they cease to have power, and their sacred places disappear. The wild, my dear Grover, is so small now, so shattered, that no god can save it. My realm is gone. That is why I need you to carry a message."

Grover's eyes started to leak tears. Pan frowned gently and continued. "You must go back to the council. You must tell the satyrs, and the dryads, and the other spirits of nature, that the great god Pan is dead. Tell them of my passing. Because they must stop waiting for me to save them. I cannot. The only salvation, you must make yourself. Each of you must-"

He stopped and frowned at the dodo bird, who had started humming again. "Dede, what are you doing?" Pan demanded. "Are you singing Kumbaya again?"

Dede looked up innocently and blinked her yellow eyes. Pan sighed. "Everybody's a cynic. But as I was saying, my dear Grover, each of you must take up my calling."

"But... no!" Grover whimpered.

"Be strong," Pan said. "You have found me. And now you must release me. You must carry on my spirit. It can no longer be carried by a god. It must be taken up by all of you." Pan looked straight at me with his clear blue eyes, and I realized he wasn't just talking about satyrs. He meant half-bloods, too, and humans.

Everyone.

"Percy Jackson," the god said. "I know what you have seen today. I know your doubts. But I give you this news: when the time comes, you will not be ruled by fear."

He turned to Annabeth. "Daughter of Athena, your time is coming. You will play a great role, though it may not be the role you imagined." Then he looked at Tyson. "Master Cyclops, do not despair. Heroes rarely live up to our expectations. But you, Tyson, your name shall live among the Cyclopes for generations."

[Y/N's POV]

Pan turned to look at me, a knowing glimmer in his eyes. He didn't open his mouth, but I heard him speak. "Y/N, I know everything you have been through. I know you struggle to find the will the carry on, but for the sake of the world, you must."

I shuddered. "Your role to play is far more important than even your greatest imaginations could come up with."

A flash in my mind. I really wish my brain would stop doing this. Pan stood over me, curiously, my eyes unfocused, and my body tiny. I was laying on the ground.

The god said something I couldn't understand, before lifting me off the ground. I was suddenly jolted back to the future, he regarded me with a kind smile.

"Son of nature, you have fought hard, and fought valiantly to survive, and surpass the odds. Your life has not, and will not be easy. But you have the strength, and fortitude to overcome your challenges."

His eyes flickered between me and Annabeth. I felt tears streaming down my face. I couldn't control my breathing.

But it wasn't like my panic, it was shock. I could hardly keep myself from shuddering. "You will be the hero you were destined to be." I lowered my head mournfully, and shivered, bowing to the god.

He turned to Rachel "And Miss Rachel Dare..." She flinched when Pan said her name and backed up like she was guilty of something, but Pan only smiled. He raised his hand in a blessing. "I know you believe you cannot make amends," he said. "But you are just as important as your father."

"I-" Rachel faltered. A tear traced her cheek. "I know you don't believe this now," Pan said. "But look for opportunities. They will come."

Finally he turned back toward Grover. "My dear satyr," Pan said kindly, "will you carry my message?"

"I- I can't."

"You can," Pan said. "You are the strongest and the bravest. Your heart is true. You have believed in me more than anyone ever has, which is why you must bring the message, and why you must be the first to release me."

"I don't want to."

"I know," the god said. "But my name, Pan... originally it meant rustic. Did you know that? But over the years it has come to mean all. The spirit of the wild must pass to all of you now. You must tell each one you meet: if you would find Pan, take up Pan's spirit. Remake the wild, a little at a time, each in your own corner of the world. You cannot wait for anyone else, even a god, to do that for you."

Grover wiped his eyes. Then slowly he stood. "I've spent my whole life looking for you. Now... I release you." Pan smiled. "Thank you, dear satyr. My final blessing."

He closed his eyes, and the god dissolved. White mist divided into wisps of energy, but this kind of energy wasn't scary like the blue power I'd seen from Kronos. It filled the room. A curl of smoke went straight into my mouth, and Grover's and the others. But I think a little more of it went into Grover than ours.

I felt power surge through me. But it was warm, and energizing. I felt like I might be able to run through a brick wall right now.

The crystals dimmed. The animals gave us a sad look. Dede the dodo sighed. Then they all turned gray and crumbled to dust. The vines withered. And we were alone in a dark cave, with an empty bed. I switched on my flashlight.

Grover took a deep breath.

"Grover... are you okay?" I asked him.

He looked older and sadder than he had five minutes ago. He took his cap from Annabeth, brushed off the mud, and stuck it firmly on his curly head. "We should go now," he said, "and tell them. The great god Pan is dead."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

910K 12.4K 37
As it says these are one shots of people meet percabeth or demigods. Important!!! I own nothing!! Pjo characters belong to Rick Riordan
909 30 8
┊ ༑ ࿐ྂ。how tragic it must be, when the strings of fate never seem to unravel right. or in which 𝒎𝒆𝒊 𝒚𝒐𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒅𝒂 • ❪吉田メイ❫ ...
17.2K 1.1K 29
Tough times have fallen on the Earth. And for the demigod population. Humans have discovered them, discovered their abilities and their strengths. A...
1.2M 49.7K 148
In which the group from the past watch how their decisions changed the future. [Book 1- Part 1:Philosopher Stone] [Book 1- Part 2: Lightning Thief] [...