Four Keys to Erasmuth: Lyra O...

By TheDarkSpring

In a secluded village, guarded by secrets and ancient magic, young Lyra inherits the mantle of Archivist, her... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine

Chapter Eight

4 1 0
By TheDarkSpring

Daybreak bled into morning, then noon, and still no sign of Riet. The gnawing anticipation sent Lyra pacing the Archives, her steps echoing through the cavernous silence. She'd agreed to go, to step outside the cloistered confines of End and embrace whatever destiny awaited. The decision hung heavy in the air, a tangible echo of Olivia's departure three years prior.

The thought of Olivia, mentor and surrogate mother, brought a pang of bittersweet nostalgia. Lyra missed her dearly, the void of her absence deeper than the unknown lineage that haunted her dreams. Olivia was real, tangible, a warm presence in the cold embrace of solitude. Those who might have been her blood were mere whispers, figments of a past she could never claim.

A smile played on Lyra's lips as she envisioned Olivia navigating the bustle of the Capital. The image of the studious scholar, freed from the drudgery of work, gleefully wreaking havoc on some dusty bookshop was comical yet comforting. But the present nudged her back. She sat at the dining table, the tiny Key lying before her, a catalyst for chaos disguised in unassuming metal. It pulsed subtly, as if responding to the turmoil in her mind, urging her to grasp its potential.

Lyra's fingers drummed a restless tattoo on the worn wood of the table, her mind fixated on the Key. The memory of yesterday's magic, a simple yet potent pulse of power as she felt the river's flow, brought a wave of unexpected comfort. It was a strange sensation, a flicker of warmth amidst the churning anxiety of waiting for Riet. Why not practice, she thought, a rebellious spark igniting in her eyes. Waiting for the enigmatic Magi was a recipe for frayed nerves, and perhaps, she reasoned, a touch of magic could ease the tension.

With brisk resolve, she retrieved a glass of water, setting it on the table. Her fingers itched for the Key's cool metal, the promise of power a siren song in the quiet of the Archives. Taking a deep breath, she grasped it, bracing for the familiar thrum.

This time, it was a tidal wave. The magic surged through her, an electric current that stole her breath and sent her mind reeling. The Key, sensing her raw emotions, seized the opportunity, its power a hungry beast seeking dominion. Sunspots danced before Lyra's eyes, the room tilting on its axis. The power felt all-consuming, a storm threatening to swallow her whole.

But within the chaos, a flicker of defiance. Lyra, though quiet, was not easily swayed. She gritted her teeth, channeling every ounce of her will into a silent battle for control. It was a desperate struggle, like clawing for air against a relentless tide. Slowly, painstakingly, she pushed back, forcing the magic to recede.

The power relented, leaving behind a gasping silence. Lyra slumped back, her vision blurred, her heart hammering against her ribs. She looked at the glass of water, its surface now shimmering with faintly glowing runes. A testament to her victory, a whispered echo of the power she now wielded.

A smile curved Lyra's lips as she gazed at the runes shimmering in the water. They held a mesmerizing beauty, their intricate patterns resembling the shifting symbols and whispers of lost languages that filled the Archives. Were they, like the ancient transcripts she deciphered, trying to convey some hidden message?

She wandered closer, mesmerized by the runes' dance. Unlike the fleeting whispers she glimpsed in the river's flow, these were still, like constellations frozen in time. Yet, they pulsed with a faint, rhythmic glow, like fireflies trapped within the glass.

Nose pressed against the cool surface, Lyra searched for meaning in their enigmatic flicker. Were they secrets waiting to be unveiled, or mere echoes of the Key's own chaotic magic? Her fingers traced the rim of the glass, her mind yearning to unravel the mysteries etched within.

Lyra's eyes traced the runes, searching for meaning in their fluid dance. Minutes bled into an eternity, punctuated only by the rasp of her own breath. Frustration coiled in her gut, and with a huff, she dipped a trembling finger into the tepid water.

Instant silence. The room seemed to hold its breath, the air heavy with anticipation. The water, still moments ago, pulsed with a sudden life, a low hum vibrating against her skin. It was a song, somber yet strangely alluring, calling to her with an achingly familiar melody.

"Join us," the water whispered, a voice like the echo of a child's plea. "Heal us, young Keeper. Mend the broken land. Beware the man of two faces. Find what is fractured, what is lost. Rejoin us."

Lyra's brow furrowed, a tremor of unease tracing down her spine. "Rejoin who?" she whispered back, her voice barely audible in the sudden hush. The confusion gnawed at her like a hungry beast, intensified by the ethereal chorus rising from the water.

"Rejoin us with your sisters, Keeper," the whispers swelled, a multitude of young voices weaving a haunting melody. Each voice carried a yearning, a weight of ancient sorrow.

The sheer force of it all knocked Lyra off guard. With a startled yelp, she snatched her hand from the cup, sending it clattering to the floor. Water splashed, staining the wooden planks, as the runes flickered a final time before dissolving into the still pool.

Lyra's breath hitched. She pulled her other hand away from the Key, the absence of power chilling her like an icy wind. Her mind reeled, a whirlwind of questions. She stumbled to her feet, desperate to escape the room, the water, the chilling silence.

Goosebumps prickled her skin. The river water, she thought, it was different. Vastly different. Both came from the same mountain stream, yet the voices... they were worlds apart. The river, ancient and wise, spoke of healing and growth, its voice somber but deep with knowledge, flowing like the current itself.

The water from the cup, it was young, frantic, a terrified whisper. The contrast was stark, a puzzle churning in her head, making it spin.

Lyra shook her head, the chilling unease from the water clinging to her skin. She needed to be around people, the suffocating silence of the Archives making her crave company. Today, she'd visit Mira, offer the goodbyes and thanks she hadn't uttered in three years.

Stepping outside, the sun's heat instantly chased away the goosebumps. Her gaze drifted to the sky. Riet's words about the sources being picky echoed in her mind. What was fire like? Did it have a voice, ancient and unyielding like the river, but crackling with raw power?

A shiver ran down her spine. Playing with power wasn't worth the unpleasant experience just moments ago. Mira was waiting, and Lyra knew she should focus on her path, not this dangerous allure.

The Key pulsed against Lyra's chest, a seductive thrum that whispered, "Just a touch. See what wonders await." With each step towards Mira's, the pull grew stronger, nearly irresistible.

She gritted her teeth, chanting under her breath the words Olivia had taught her as a child, when shadows danced and fears lurked. "My dearest shadow," the words echoed in her mind, "patterns are everywhere. When in doubt, look for the pattern!"

This mantra had guided Lyra through countless childhood trials, Olivia's playful tests of runes, lineages, and the hidden logic of the Archives. "How do you find tomes about forgotten kings?" Olivia would ask, her eyes twinkling. "Look for the pattern, Lyra."

Water, she realized, was a pattern. It had spoken to her twice, a whisper in the runes and a chilling echo in the cup. And the runes themselves? They were everywhere, a language woven into the very fabric of the world. But what of their specific meaning? She squinted at the empty cup, the river's movement too fast to discern a pattern. Her mind churned, the questions swirling like leaves in a storm, until her feet stopped before Mira's simple cottage, its thatched roof a welcoming beacon.

A deep breath steadied Lyra as she raised her hand to knock. It was foreign territory, seeking out Mira instead of waiting for her visits filled with food and gossip. Her palms grew clammy with apprehension. Had Mira left? It was past noon, when villagers usually bustled about their chores.

Just as she turned to leave, the door creaked open. "Oh! Dearest Lyra! What a delightful surprise!" Mira's voice boomed, her eyes crinkling with joy. "Either the Archives have met a fiery end, or this is simply my lucky day!"

Lyra chuckled, a huff escaping her lips. "Neither, I'm afraid. May I come in, Mira? I'd like to talk."

Concern flitted across Mira's face, replaced by a warm smile. "Of course! Fresh bread just went into the fire. Come, tell me a story, Lyra. You have that 'tale to tell' look in your eyes."

Stepping into Mira's cottage, Lyra inhaled the comforting aroma of hearth and bread. A stark contrast to the dusty tomes and hushed air of the Archives, here warmth and life pulsed in every corner.

"Sit, child," Mira chirped, bustling towards the kitchen. "I'll brew us something soothing. Now, what brings you here? Three years I've come to the Archives, yet you never once crossed my threshold." Her gaze narrowed, a playful glint in her eyes. "Is it that handsome older fellow? Trouble follows him like smoke, and oh, he smells of it, that's for sure!"

Lyra snorted, a blush creeping up her neck. "No... well, yes? Riet isn't trouble, he's... he's asked me to train as a Magi." Lying tasted bitter, but the truth was a storm she wasn't ready to unleash. Leaving needed a reason, and this seemed the least disruptive.

Mira's movements stilled, her eyes wide with surprise. "Leaving? Truly?" A tear glistened on her cheek. "Nearly your whole life within these walls, and now some stranger whisks you away?"

The guilt gnawed at Lyra. Mira was kind, a beacon of warmth in her life, but this unexpected vulnerability felt intrusive. Even Olivia hadn't shown such raw emotion when she retired.

"He claims I have untapped potential, and leaving it dormant would be a waste," Lyra explained, her fingers warming around the mug, but unsure of its contents. "He's a powerful, experienced Magi, and his offer carries weight. Honestly, it's not as if I have much choice."

Mira's expression softened, then hardened again. "But how can he be sure, without testing within the Conter? There are dangers outside these walls, child. What if his intentions aren't what they seem? What is this is a ploy to steal your wealth?" Her voice, usually so comforting, carried a tinge of worry.

Lyra chuckled, a touch of self-deprecation in her voice. "Steal from me? He wouldn't find much of value. Archivists are notorious for their lack of personal wealth. My only treasure is the knowledge I hold."

Mira remained unconvinced, pursing her lips. "Be cautious, Lyra. Men like him, offering grand opportunities and whispers of adventure, can be deceptive. Regardless of who you are, bookish or not." She sipped her drink, the silence hanging heavy before she spoke again.

"So, when does this departure happen? Should I whip up a farewell feast before you set off?" Her voice returned to its warmth, a touch of bitter sweetness lingering in her eyes.

Lyra flinched. "Five days," she mumbled, dreading the confirmation. "He has duties back in the Capital and can't stay longer."

Mira's warm gaze turned steely. "Lyra, I promised Olivia I'd watch over you. She worried you'd make a rash decision, but I knew better. You're the sharpest mind I've ever met. Yet, this... this feels reckless." She sighed, her voice heavy with concern.

"If you were my own, I'd lock you in this cottage till your hair turned grey to stop this. But you're not, and fate dealt you that dusty archive instead of a proper home. Still, promise me you'll truly consider all this, weigh the risks, before taking this leap."

Lyra's throat tightened, a knot of guilt and fear constricting her breath. She longed to flee the conversation, to disappear into the comforting shadows of the archives, but Mira's gaze held her captive.

"I will," Lyra rasped, her voice thick with emotion. "I promise, Mira, I'm not rushing into this." She reached out, her hand trembling as it touched Mira's. "I also wanted... I wanted to thank you. For everything."

Tears welled in Lyra's eyes, blurring the familiar lines of Mira's face. "Olivia leaving, it was so hard... and I never knew she asked you to watch over me. Such an Olivia thing to do," she choked out, a laugh escaping amidst the tears. "I know I was cold, distant, but you were a... a beacon, Mira. Every visit, every word... I was grateful. Truly, deeply grateful."

Mira, her own eyes glistening, enfolded Lyra in a warm embrace. "My dear," she whispered, her voice thick with affection. "You are a treasure, Lyra. Never forget that. Loved, cherished, even if you cannot always see it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.7K 5.5K 111
A story following a young hunter named Jay. He has grown up in a world where dungeons, monsters, and humans with leveling systems are a cultural norm...
37K 1.7K 25
Princess Bella, the first and only daughter of the famous rulers of the United Kingdom of Auradon, Belle and Beast. The twin sister of Prince Ben, yo...
996K 42.5K 88
Kenta Bernard, a seventeen-year-old, died of leukemia in the hospital and was reincarnated in a novel that he has yet to finish. He is the ill second...