You Make It Easy

By yelibaseball

Maya Brown, an ERNP, Emergency Room Nurse Practitioner, has her hands full at all times as she runs her ER. F... More

Girls Like Me.
Perfect Shade of Green.
Just A Friend.
You Offered It.
Ruin Me.
FWB.
No Strings Attached.
Take Her Down.
Hurricane.
Safe Haven.
Cowboy.
Snowstorm.
Cedar Wood.
Makes Sense.
Be The Same.
Find Someone Else.
Infamous.
Hard Time.
Dagger.
Peace of Mind.
Nightmare.
Mr. Positive.
Last Minute.
Petals.
Closeted Romantic.
Flip The Script.
Don't Bother.
Divert.
Good For Him.
Money.
Point, Blank, Period.
Sleep.
Crystal.
Up In The Air.
Sink In.
My Life and My Decisions.
Good Jeans.
Puzzle Pieces.
No Shame.
22.
Newfound Realization.
You Owe Me.
Couldn't Get Any Better.
I Am.
Even Numbers Are Better.
Christmas in Milwaukee?
Everywhere It Shouldn't Belong.
Precautions.
Don't Mind Me.
A Hundred Languages.
Informed.
Even Hotter Now, Right?
None of That Matters.
A Busy Man.
I'm Never Late.
New Mothers.
Amalia Lou.
Emotional.
Colorful & Classy.
Expect It.
Just Yet.
Seriously, What Did You Do?
Margarita or Two.
Look Hot & Feel Like A Princess.

That's Impossible.

423 15 0
By yelibaseball

Maya~

Christian rounds third before sliding into home, beating the throw from the outfield, scoring another run. He stands up and jogs back to the dugout.

A hand is placed on my shoulder. I look up at Larisa, "Oh my gosh, hi!"

I get up and hug her, "I wasn't sure if you were going to be here."

"Last minute got let in. I wasn't sure either," I tell her.

I follow her inside, taking my empty can and tossing it in the bin. Ryan and the kids come up to join us. "Nice of you to join us," I tell him.

He laughs, "Well, I'm finally retiring so I thought we could have a ceremony or whatever."

I hugged each of the kids before they went crazy with the other kids and the food provided. We sit at a tall table where we're still able to watch. "So I'm hearing you're building?"

"Yeah, we are. We've got this great plot in the same neighborhood that I'm already in so I won't have to travel much farther for work. It should be done before our birthdays so we're going to have Christmas at the house."

"So he moved in?"

"Yeah, he did. Most of his stuff is actually in storage since I didn't have the room in the house. I have photos if you want to see them."

"Of course we want to see it."

I pull out my phone and let them scroll through the photos. "Wow, it looks incredible."

"You'll have to come out and see it when it's finished. Maybe next season?"

"Definitely."

Larisa points at her kids, "Can you get them to settle down?" she asks Ryan.

He walks away from us. "So... house is right now. What's next?" Larisa asks.

I shrug, "I don't know. I'm really trying to enjoy everything. I've spent a lot of time worrying about things that were out of my control. So if it's an engagement or kids, I'll be happy. I can see either happening probably not soon but I know that's the next step. We're both going to be 30. I think it's time to really settle down."

Bridget lets out a frustrated sigh as we sit next to each other. I slowly turn to her, "Everything okay over there?"

"No."

I put my pen down, "Would you like to talk about it?"

"No."

I slowly turn back to my computer. I mark a few things off on my chart before seeing a notification pop up from our lab work system. Two of the kids I have are sick. One strep throat and one influenza.

I take two masks with me along with my tablet. I stuff a mask in my pocket before putting the other one on. I knock before entering the room.

I sit next to the mother, "So good news, it's not influenza. Bad news, it is strep throat. He'll need antibiotics. If I can have you verify this information, I can send that prescription in."

I hand her my tablet and wait. She hands it back to me, "Is there anything I can do? He's so young and I don't know what to do."

"Get the antibiotics. I'm sending in for a liquid prescription so it's easier. The pharmacist will explain everything but make sure you start it right away. It'll probably be twice a day, once at night and once in the morning. A lot of rest, soft foods, and managing pain with Tylenol and Advil."

I hand her a few papers, "These also explain everything I just told you. I will get that prescription in as soon as I get back to my computer. These are also your discharge papers. So you guys are free to go. Feel better."

I take a pump of hand sanitizer before taking my mask off and putting more hand sanitizer on before putting my next mask on.

I run through my influenza spiel with the parents before letting them go. I leave both doors open to make sure these rooms get cleaned. I make my way back to the station, hoping Bridget is in a better mood.

I put in for the prescription and sent it over to the pharmacy. I put my tablet on the charger. I lean on the counter next to where Bridget sits, "What?" she asks.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Lie."

"It's nothing, Maya."

I stand upright, "Okay, but I'm here if you want to talk."

"I know."

I start walking into the break room, "You didn't let me go through shit alone so don't think I'm going to let you do that."

Christian crawls into bed with me, "It's looking like we're matching up with Atlanta. If we can keep our place, we'll be here for the first two games," he tells me as I read my book.

"I should be good to go with you."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

I finish my chapter and put my book on my nightstand. I get up, grabbing my water bottle to make sure it's filled. I brush my teeth before getting in bed one last time.

"What's wrong?" he asks me.

I shake my head, "Bridget was acting weird today."

"How so?"

"Short, snippy, wanted nothing to do with anybody today. Something is going on."

"She's not ready to talk about it."

I shake my head, "No. She didn't let me hold it in. I'm not going to let her do that."

"That was different."

"Yeah, most likely a different situation but it's the same thing."

"Is it?"

"Yes. If I didn't get to bottle it up, neither does she. Especially because she was such a hard ass on me."

"She will tell you when she's ready. Maybe it's something personal. Maybe it's something with Josh. She's not pushing you away. Let her figure it out."

I purse my lips. "You're going to pout about it?"

I shrug, "Maybe."

"You're ridiculous."

"Yet you still love me."

"I do. A whole lot too."

I kiss him, "I love you more," I tell him quietly.

"No chance."

He makes me smile at our friendly competition on who loves each other more. "Equal?"

"Equal."

I put my hand on Bridget's back, "Bridget, he's DNR. Stop compressions."

She shakes her head, not saying anything. "Bridget, stop compressions."

Everyone looks at me. I get between her and our patient, "No, stop. He's DNR. You can't do anything more."

She finally looks at me, "He has a wife. He has kids."

"I know. It's okay. It's life. Shit happens. We age. We develop chronic diseases. It's okay."

Her hands stay shaking in front of me. I look at the clock, "Time of death, 16:18."

"Can you take care of this?" I ask, still focusing on Bridget but not talking to her.

"Yeah," they answer.

I take Bridget out into the hall, "What is going on? You haven't been yourself the past few days."

"Maya, it's nothing."

"No. I don't accept that answer. I know something is going on."

"Not here, please."

"Then where?"

"I don't know. Your car?"

"That's fine."

I grab my keys. We walk out to my car. She faces forward as I sit looking toward her. "I didn't want to tell you because I wasn't sure how you'd react..."

"Are you leaving?" I ask as it's my immediate thought and reaction.

"No," she says quickly, "No. It's not that. You're stuck with me."

I nod, letting her continue, "I mean, you know how long Josh and I've been together. We've known each other since high school. We started dating in college. So even before we got engaged and then married, we've had this idea of adding to our family. We started taking it seriously after the engagement. We're coming up on our wedding anniversary. So that means it's been about 18 months of trying to grow our family."

"18 months of no luck?"

"Yeah."

I reach over the center console and hug her. "I understand why you didn't want to tell me. I don't need an explanation. I've just been worried about you."

She lets out a breath, "A few months ago, we went to get tested because things weren't working. Some of my levels are lower than normal. So I started taking hormonal supplements to see if that works. It's why I've been extremely emotional lately. I've been noticing I'm getting attached to some cases more than others- like today."

I hug her again, "I'm sorry this is happening. I'm here if you want to vent or I'll distract you from it."

She leans into me, "Thank you."

"You know I leave for Atlanta tomorrow? Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. You need to support Christian right now."

Christian walks up to me with his head down. I hug him, "I'm sorry."

He stays silent as we stand together. I hold his hand as we walk out to the bus. He lets me in first before sitting next to me. He leans forward in his seat, running his hands through his hair.

He was the last out. He struck out looking. So, it's not a great look for him or the team. He never got that chance to tweak his swing or his stance to become the player that he was in 2018 and 2019.

I put my hand on his back. I end up running my nails against his back. I watch him shake his head. He looks over at me with red eyes.

I lean down with him, putting my arm around him, "It's okay," I tell him.

"It's not," he tells me.

"Yes, it is. I'm still proud of you. Nothing is going to change that."

He holds my hand, kissing the back of it. "I love you," he mouths to me.

"I know. I love you too."

"Will you do something with me, no questions asked?" Bridget asks, walking up to me and standing very close to me.

I take a step away from her but she steps towards me, "As long as I'm not hurting someone."

"You won't be."

I type a few things on my tablet, "Right now?"

"Yes, right now."

I put my tablet by the computer and walked with her to the staff bathroom. "What are we doing?" I ask, stopping in front of the door.

"What part of no questions asked do you not understand?"

She pulls me into the bathroom. She locks the door, "I can't do this in the locker room because everybody is in and out and it's not private."

She pulls two pregnancy tests from her pocket. "What? So I'm supposed to listen to you pee? That's why I'm here?"

"I was hoping you'd take one with me."

"Why would I need that? I'm not pregnant."

"I know. Please. For shits and giggles. I don't want to do it alone."

"Fine. But I'm standing in the hall."

"That's fine."

I take one of the tests and shove it in a pocket before stepping out into the hall. The things I do for her.

I stand against the wall for a few minutes before the door opens. "Your turn."

She closes the door. "You didn't even do it. Why am I staring at a cup of pee?"

She cracks the door, "I told you. We're doing it together."

I didn't think she meant that literally. This is pointless. I'm wasting a pregnancy test.

I wash my hands after I'm done. "You can come in," I tell her.

She pushes the door open, locking it once she's inside. I open the package with my teeth, pushing the stick out of the plastic wrap.

"How long do we hold it?" I ask.

"20 seconds."

"Ready?" I ask, getting ready to dip it.

She nods. We do it at the same time. We count to 20. We place the caps back on and cover our tests with the plastic wrapper.

"It's a 3-minute wait."

I nod. She squats down against the wall, looking up at me, "I really think this is the one. I can just feel it."

When it's been about three minutes, we both take a breath. I don't know why I'm nervous. I know what it's going to say.

I pick mine up, "Wait. You look at mine. I don't think I can do it."

"Great, so you want me to look at both?"

"I'll look at yours. It's fine. You said it yourself that you're not pregnant."

I hand her my test as she hands me hers. I wait until she's ready since she's who I'm focusing on. "Okay. 3, 2, 1," she says.

I turn it over and smile at the results. Gosh, they're going to be parents. They're going to be great parents.

"Maya," she says quietly.

I turn it to her, "You're pregnant," I tell her.

"Maya."

I look up at her as she holds a hand over her mouth. "What?"

She disregards her test and looks at mine then back to me. I shake my head, "No. That's impossible. No," I say.

She turns it to me. 'Pregnant'

"Well, then there's only one explanation."

"And that is?"

"These have to be expired. I can't be pregnant. That's wrong."

"Maya, I bought these yesterday."

"Then I got the faulty stick."

She shakes her head, "Maya, you're pregnant."

"No, I'm not."

"Maya," she says softly, bringing me in for a hug.

My hands start to shake and my breathing increases. "It's okay. This will be so much fun. We're both pregnant at the same time. I've always dreamed of being pregnant with my best friend."

She looks at me and nods, "Okay, we're still in shock. It's okay. Everything is okay."

I can finally come up with other words, "I'm sorry. This is supposed to be about you."

"No, no, no. It's okay. I promise. This is amazing."

I look at my test and can feel my heart skip a beat. Oh my god. "I need to go home."

"Maybe you do."

"Crap, I can't. He's home right now. Oh god. He leaves tomorrow. We're supposed to go on a date tonight."

"That's okay. It's going to be okay."

"Is it? We're not married. We're not engaged. He lives in California during the offseason. I'm supposed to move out there?"

"That's something you have to talk about with each other."

I look at my watch. My shift is almost over. I could tell him I got to leave early. I need to retest. No chance I am going into a conversation with just 1 test. "Do you have more?" I ask.

"It only had two."

I nod slowly, "Do you care if I leave?"

"No, go ahead. I'll tell Sydney you started not to feel good."

I put my hands on the top of my head. "Oh my god."

"I know."

"What the hell?"

"I know."

She hugs me again, "Go do what you need to do. Can you keep me updated? Let me know what's going on. If you want me there when you tell him, I'm more than happy to be there."

I nod, "Okay. Yeah. I'll keep it in mind."

We walk out of the bathroom, going our separate ways. I grab my bags and leave. I stop by the store to grab two more boxes of pregnancy tests.

I stuff the plastic bag in my backpack before leaving the parking lot of Walmart. I ride in silence on my way home.

I pull into the garage, putting away the shock on my face. Christian stands at the door leading into the kitchen. I gather a few things in my front seat to take with me.

He opens the door for me, "You're home early."

"It was slower. Sydney let some of us go home early if we wanted to."

I get out. I put my backpack on. He touches my hip making me jump. "You good?" he asks.

"Yeah, your hand was cold."

"It's 75° out."

"And your hand was cold."

I take my things inside, "Are we still going to leave around 6?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"Okay. Well, I'm going to go shower and then probably start getting ready," I tell him.

"Sounds good."

I start walking back to our room. I set my backpack on the floor. I start to unzip the top zipper, "Maya?" he asks, coming back to our room.

I zip the bag, sit on the floor, and take off my shoes. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, perfectly fine. My feet just hurt. Nothing new," I tell him, placing my shoes next to my bag.

"I just wanted to make sure."

I smile and nod. He leaves the door cracked open. I take the plastic bag into the bathroom and shove it under the sink.

I turn the water on so he's not even more suspicious. I want to scream. I am so scared.

"Hey, babe?" Christian asks as I finish drying my hair.

"Yeah?"

"I have to go pick up some stuff. I'll be back in 20 minutes."

"Okay. I'll probably be ready."

He kisses me quickly before leaving. I can finally breathe again. I take the boxes out of the bag underneath my sink.

I take one from each box. I dip each test for 20 seconds then cap them. I leave them face down and covered while I continue to get ready.

I have no idea how I'll tell him. If these come out as positive, I don't think I can handle dinner tonight. I think I'd have to cancel on him.

I put on the dress I planned on wearing tonight since it's his favorite color. It's a red slip dress with a small leg slit. I love this dress. But all I can concentrate on is the possible fetus in my uterus.

I clear off my counter space and grab the other test from earlier. I've waited longer than three minutes to look at the tests.

I take a breath before flipping both at the same time. "Oh my god."

Instantly, I feel nauseous. I shake my head. My shaking hands are able to get a picture. I send it to Bridget.

"Okay. It's fine. This is fine. Everything is going to be fine," I tell myself.

I can't be that far along. Maybe a month, if that? I don't know. I'd have to do some math and I don't think I can comprehend math right now.

I hear him come back. He was way faster than I expected. I hold the tests in my hand behind my back. "Christian?" I ask, walking out of my room.

"Yeah?"

I come into the kitchen. He smiles, "You look so beautiful," he tells me.

"Thank you."

"What's up? Are you ready?"

"Um- How upset would you be if I told you we should not go out tonight?"

"Why? Do you not feel good? It's not a big deal. We can always order in and sit on the couch in our sweats. It doesn't matter to me."

"Um-"

"Maya, what's going on? You've been acting weird ever since you got home."

I lay the tests on the counter near him, "That's what's going on. I think I'm pregnant," I tell him, my voice breaking.

He kind of laughs, "What?"

I don't come up with any more words. He picks up one of the sticks, "When did you-?"

"Today. Bridget wanted me to take one with her. I didn't actually think it would turn out like that. I had to get more because I figured it was expired or faulty. I did the others after you left."

He sets the test down and hugs me. I hug him back, holding on to him like no other. He kisses the top of my head, "Let's do this. Everything is going to be okay, I promise."

"I can't go through that again. I can't," I tell him, my voice breaking.

He nods against me, "I know."

I let go of him and looked down at the tests. I still can't believe it. I put my arm around him, leaning on him, "Oh my god. We're having a baby."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 21.9K 52
Guardians of Freecaster High #1 "That doesn't make any sense. You were the one who left me. You didn't care anymore." "If I didn't care, Alexis, then...
891K 31.1K 26
WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST EDITOR'S CHOICE -- SEPTEMBER 2021 EXCLUSIVE CHAPTERS AND WRITER'S REVEAL CONTENT AVAILABLE - NOT A PAID STORY Appearances can b...
77.3K 1.2K 37
Amelia's life was perfect. Her husband was superman, and their son was the most perfect thing on the planet. She had plans for her family, and it was...
46.2K 1K 84
Daniella 'Dani' Campbell, Milwaukee native, proud University of Wisconsin-Madison alum. Coming home from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics to take her long-awa...