HEART FOR BRAINS • the walkin...

By mockingja3

The one where Daryl finds a kid who is, most definitely, not Sophia. "You shouldn't get attached to him, you... More

intro
SEASON TWO
001: lost and found
002: half less than the rest
003: brother
004: ripped stitches
005: but im not dead
006: the barn
007: special kid
008: baby
009: from the sidelines
010: a follower
011: let the truth come out
012: spread like wildfire
my brothers are my best friends
SEASON THREE
013: hit the jackpot
014: super badass
015: everythings out of order
016: three down
017: not her
018: left behind
019: blood and guts
020: judith
021: get out
022: I'll go wherever you go
023: come back home
024: forgive and forget
025: war at the doorstep
026: god might not get it but i do
027: finish it
028: not-so surprise
trying not to forget
SEASON FOUR
029: catch of the month
030: ups and downs of storytime
031: outbreak
032: isolation
033: colour of blood//love
034: all things come to an end
035: how safe is safe?
036: all in knots
038: claimed: part one
039: claimed: part two
040: road to terminus // A
SEASON FIVE
041: the wrong people
042: escape
043: church in the wild
044: four walls and a roof
045: flipped
046: liar
047: not not funny
048: apologies

037: close call

779 48 19
By mockingja3

Light was peeking through the moth-eaten curtains when Carl began to stir, peering over at Rio to see if he was awake. The boy had his eyes closed but his act was broken when he began smirking, aware that Carl was looking over at him.

"Morning." He smiled.

Rio peeked an eye open and smiled back. "Good morning."

'Did you even sleep?' Carl signed to the other boy as he got up.

'No.' Rio replied honestly, rubbing his eye as he propped himself onto his elbows.

'Why?'

"Missing people." He shrugged, hoping it sounded as nonchalant as he wanted it to.

The other boy knelt down, searching through the bag at the end of the couch. He pulled out a pack of cereal, holding it out to Rio.

"Do you want breakfast?"

"As long as you don't poison it." He grumbled, burying his face into the cushion.

Carl left for the kitchen, sitting down at the small round table and pouring two bowls of cornflakes. He hesitated for a moment before grabbing a third bowl and pouring another.

Rio stood in the doorway, watching him. He'd tied his bloody shirt around his waist now left with the long sleeve he wore underneath.

He sat down on the stool opposite Carl, grabbing himself a spoon to eat his dry cereals with.

"Do you want to go upstairs?" Carl asked.

"We can't eat upstairs." Rio mumbled, mouth half full.

"Sure we can, no one's here." He smiled.

"Okay."

They headed upstairs, Rio setting his bowl down on the desk as Carl ate. He searched through the piles of books, looking for one that seemed even a little bit interesting. He tossed a few to Carl who caught them, flipping through the first few pages. Rio sat on the bed next to him, looking over his shoulder at the books.

'Which one do you wanna read?'

'None'

'And why not?'

'Not interested' He shrugged.

Rio just poked his tongue out at the boy and kept flipping through the books.

"So, are we gonna talk about it?" Carl asked between mouthfuls.

'It?'

"What happened the night before..." he continued speaking.

'We kissed.'

'Yeah.'

"You can say that you know."

"I know." He defended. "So are we like boyfriends now?"

Rio thought about it for a second. 'I guess.' Then he sat down beside the boy. 'Do you wanna be?'

'Yeah. Sounds cool.'

'Are you gonna kiss me again?'

'I mean, if you insist.'

"Asshole." Rio scoffed before leaning in again, giggling as he kissed Carl.

The two sat on the bed for a while, just talking and laughing and kissing. Rio began reading a book as Carl tried talking to him. He then turned to signing when the boy wasn't paying attention to him.

'You know, you're getting pretty good' Rio admitted as he put down the book he'd been reading.

'At kissing?' Carl burst out laughing.

'No. At signing'

'I have a good teacher'

'Awe. Don't make me blush' the other boy replied sarcastically.

'And I've been practicing'

'It's sweet' He smiled over at Carl.

"You know the saying." Rio began, already laughing at his own joke. "You know when someone says they have two left feet. Glenn has two left hands."

"What?"

"He can't sign for shit." The boy giggled to himself. "It's the thought that counts though. At least he's trying."

The boy fell silent, regretting bringing up the man at all. He let out a long sigh. "Or... he was trying."

***

"Dad?" Carl called, walking over to Rick who still hadn't woken up yet. "Dad?" He asked more unsurely as he got closer, standing at the foot of the couch.

"Dad, wake up." Carl said, kneeling down beside him. He placed both hands on his shoulder, trying to shake him awake. "Wake up. Come on."

"Why isn't he waking up?" Rio asked, making his way over.

"I don't know." He replied, head spinning around. Carl just shook him again, harder this time. "Dad, wake up. Wake up!"

Rio headed into the kitchen as Carl started yelling again. "Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!"

Rick couldn't be dead. There was no way.

He stormed back into the room, standing over the couch. Carl took a step back as Rio tried to shake him awake. He placed his head on the man's chest trying to feel for a heart beat.

"Get up." Rio said. "You're not dead. Wake up."

Rick didn't wake up.

"You're scaring him." He continued, pointing towards Carl. The boy grabbed his arm, pushing it down and telling him to be quiet.

"Can't you hear it?"

"Uh, no?"

Carl pointed to the door that the couch was pushed up against. It was rattling and something was trying to pry its way through. The banging and snarling soon grew louder and Rio could hear it, letting out a long groan.

"I'm gonna go get it." Carl announced, backing up into the kitchen. Rio nodded along, following him out of the back door.

They peered over the wall, trying to look at the front door, they couldn't see it. Carl headed down the steps first, Rio right behind him, knife in hand. They walked through the garden, tall hedges blocking their view.

There was pounding against the door that grew louder as they headed closer.

Rio looked around, catching two walkers on the porch, scratching at the door like feral cats. They snarled and left bloody handprints on the white paint, chunks of their fingers and splinters of wood falling off.

"Should we get them?" The boy asked, turning to Carl but he already had a plan.

Before Rio could finish speaking Carl had called out to the walkers, beckoning them over. "Fresh meat right here. Come and get it."

"What the hell are you doing?" Rio hissed as they had no choice than to back up, walking backwards down the garden path.

"I've got this." He tried to reassure him. It wasn't really working. Carl turned back to the walkers. "Let's take a walk." The boy suggested.

They lured the walkers out of the garden, one walking slower than the other, stumbling over her long nightgown.

"Keep up." Carl told them. They snarled louder, reaching out at the sound of his voice. "That's it."

"Keep coming. Very good." He smiled, then he turned to Rio as if to say 'Cool, right?'

It was not cool.

"Are we gonna kill them or not?" Rio asked impatiently, tired of the games.

"Just, come on. Keep walking."

"Do you even know where we're going?"

"No."

"Then why should I listen to you?" The walkers reached out to Rio now and the boy stumbled backwards, catching his footing.

"Hey! Look at me. Over here." Carl taunted. "There you go. Just a little further." He led them into the woods, just beyond the street of houses.

Another Walker came out from the trees, hand pulling on Rio's shirt, the boy ducked and the Walker fell straight into Carl who tripped over, trying to push him off.

"Oh shit!" Rio shouted, the Walker turned back to him and he stabbed it quickly, killing it with a quick jab to the forehead.

Carl was on the floor, fighting off the other two. He kicked one onto the floor and Rio crushed the creature's skull with his foot. The other boy shot at the next Walker, the woman falling onto his stomach. He swiftly shot the next one too, the old man falling atop of the woman, like a gross game on pile-on.

Another Walker approached, seemingly attracted by the bullets and Rio tripped it up, stabbing it once it was on the floor.

Carl let out a loud exhale after they'd killed the last, his heavy breathing not going away. Rio walked over to the other boy, hooking his hands under his arms and pulling him out of the Walker pile. His hat fell onto the floor.

Rio picked it up and held it as the boy knelt down behind the tree as he started to cough, emptying out his breakfast.

"Are you okay?" He asked. Carl just gave him a slurred mumble in return. "Okay, time to go."

The boy wiped his face and picked his gun and hat back up. He then followed Rio out of the woods and back into the street.

"I don't mean to say I told you so..." The boy began.

"Whatever man."

"What would you have done without me?" Rio teased, swinging their hands.

"I would've had it." Carl protested, a small offended expression over his face. "You need to have more faith in me."

"Oh, I have plenty of faith in you. Don't even worry."

"You want to know something cool?"

"Tell me."

"We have a whole neighborhood to explore."

"That's cool," he agreed, "but you smell. You gotta change."

"You're so mean." Carl whined, heading back to the house.

"I'm sorry, I'm just telling the truth." Rio called after him, hurrying up the steps. "You have an excuse though."

"Whatever." He sighed, pulling off his dirty flannel shirt. He dropped it to the floor and stood beside his dad as Rio poured himself a drink.

He sat up on the counter, kicking his shoes off and bringing his knees to his chest. He looked at the untouched bowl of cereals on the table. Rick was worrying him. More than he'd care to admit.

From the other room, Rio could faintly hear a voice, one that he could only assume was Carl's. He stood behind the kitchen door, peering into the room as the boy spoke.

"I killed three walkers." He began. "They were at the door. They were gonna get in but I lured them away. Rio told me not to but I didn't listen. I had it! I killed them."

The boy let out a long sigh, looking to his father for an answer. "I saved you. I saved you. I didn't forget while you had us playing farmers. I still know how to survive. Lucky for us."

Carl shook his head to himself, wiping some of the mud off of his face. "I don't need you anymore. I don't need you to protect me anymore. I can take care of myself. You probably can't even protect me anyway! You couldn't even protect Judith!"

Rio left the kitchen, running upstairs quickly and hoping Carl wouldn't have noticed he was there. As he rummaged through the drawers, trying to find a clean shirt he heard the yells anyway. He wasn't close enough to make them out but he heard them.

He took off his dirty shirt, grabbing a white one and a green flannel. He rolled up the sleeves on it and headed downstairs, avoiding walking into the living room.

Rio knelt down on the kitchen floor, tying his laces as Carl ripped out everything from the bag.

"I'd be fine if you died." He muttered to his father, before walking out of the house, slamming the door behind him.

"What the hell." Rio groaned, slumping back against the wall. He tied his second shoelace as quickly as he could, following Carl out the back door.

He caught up to the boy soon enough, placing a hand on his shoulder and spinning him around.

"What?" Carl asked.

"Don't go out on your own."

"Why not? I can take care of myself."

"Not when you're angry. You're just gonna end up doing stupid shit again and I can't let you come out here alone if I think you're gonna end up hurt."

"You're not my dad."

"No." Rio stuffed his hands into his pockets awkwardly. "You just yelled at your dad, who is still lying in that house, unconscious."

"Don't try and make me feel bad." Carl replied. "I meant what I said."

"Okay." He didn't say anything anymore.

"We could leave."

"No we couldn't."

"Yes we could. We could go away together."

Rio shook his head firmly, not even entertaining the idea. "We'd end up dead in a ditch by next week."

"No we wouldn't." Carl grimaced before walking away.

They approached a white house, its wraparound porch seemingly empty. Carl made his way through the garden, picking out a lawn light and holding the sharp end out like a weapon. Rio grabbed his knife, holding it up as they got closer to the door.

Carl did a small run forward, trying to barge the door in with his shoulder. He fell to the ground letting out a pained grunt.

Rio slapped a hand over his mouth to retain the laughter but it was too late. Carl glared up at him from the decking.

"Damn it." He grumbled.

"Yes, damn it." Rio nodded, looking down at him and trying to keep a straight face.

Carl got back up, using the pulled out light to help him open the door this time, prying the door from its frame. It opened and he walked inside.

The house was messier than the one they'd stayed in. Cardboard boxes and unopened letters were splayed out on the table and floor. There didn't seem to be any walkers from the lack of noise and smell.

Rio watched as Carl rummaged through the cupboards, chucking all the cans into his bag. He looked around whilst the other boy packed, wandering through the rooms.

He stumbled across the living room where a large mirror sat above the fireplace. Rio climbed onto the table taking a look at himself. It was not good.

He laughed to himself, using his shirt sleeves to wipe the dirt and blood from his face.

Rio looked back at Carl, watching him for a second. He wasn't looking too good either, they were both dirty and bloody and tired and in desperate need of a wash. At least it was sorta equal.

He groaned, climbing back down and walking over to Carl who held something out proudly.

"What's that?"

"Chocolate pudding."

"Is it good?"

"I haven't eaten it yet." He replied, setting it down on the table.

"Are you gonna open it?"

"Not right now." Carl picked up the garden light, holding out the pointed end again. "Let's look around first."

He grabbed Rio's hand in his and led them upstairs quietly. The door to the first bedroom was slightly ajar so Carl pushed it open further and took a look inside. Aside from what you'd expect to find in a bedroom, the room was pretty empty. The bedside table was a mess and the bedsheets were askew but nothing too bad, Except for the bird.

A small bird lay on the floor, carcass almost completely hollowed out. Dark bloody fingertips littered the carpet beside it and from the color of them Rio guessed they were old. He got his knife out ready anyway.

The two walked into the next room, silently closing the door behind them. The room was the same. It was empty.

The landing was a mess, boxes piled high were dotted around, their contents threatening to spill. The boys made their way around them cautiously, heading over to the next door.

The door wasn't left open like the others so a sense of uneasiness washed over him. He was right to think so.

As soon as the door handle twisted, a mangled hand shot through the gap, trying to pry the door open. Rio startled, jumping back a bit before shoving his shoulder into the door, trying to help Carl close it.

He gave the door one last shove and the walker's hand that writhed above his head snapped. Blood trickled down onto Rio's face, dripping in his hair and forehead. He looked up at what was falling and held back a gag.

The bone was snapped and hanging out of the arm yet it still moved, the rotten fleshy insides contracted as it continued to reach for the two boys.

"Shit, shit, shit." He muttered over and over again, trying to keep the door closed. How strong was this guy?

The walker tried to press his head through the gap between the wall and the door as Carl tapped Rio on the shoulder.

'Let go' He signed, crouching to the boy's level.

"Are you crazy?"

"Just do it."

"Okay." Carl grabbed the boy's hand, pulling him back. He grabbed his gun from his holster quickly as Rio tried to figure out when to attack, his knife not being the best weapon. He needed to remember to bring his crossbow next time. Would there be a next time? Probably.

Carl stumbled back and Rio tried to help him back up but instead they both fell to the floor. The walker reached down for his legs as the boy kicked back, he fired a shot in the air and Rio ducked. He got straight back up, pulling Carl up with him as he shot the Walker in the side of the head.

It flailed for a moment and Rio thought it had died but then it turned around, getting back up. Carl mumbled something to Rio but he didn't hear.

"What?"

"My gun. It's empty."

"I don't have a gun on me." Rio replied quickly, a panic now setting in. The two boys scrambled back, knocking over stacks of books before stumbling into a room at the end of the hall. Rio felt for his pockets. His knife wasn't there. They hadn't been quick enough, and they now had no weapon and the walker's fingers peeled through the gap, reaching for them once more. It burst in as they rushed for the window trying to flee, Rio attempted to haul it open as Carl kicked the Walker over, buying them some time.

He fell to the floor as the Walker clutched his leg, holding it close to its face. Carl let out a cry and tried to scramble back. Rio ran over, leaving the window as he tried to pull Carl out of the creature's grip. He tugged but couldn't get him up and the walker's jaw was wide open, trying to bite him. He let out a frustrated yell and kept pulling, Carl's fingers digging into his arms as he tried to get the boy up.

Carl's shoe slipped off and that was their exit. They ran back into the hall and tried to slam the door shut but toppled books got in the way, wedging themselves between the wall and the door. Carl slipped on the laminate floor in just his sock but Rio held him up, kicking the books towards the Walker.

When they were all out of the way Rio slammed the door closed, holding onto the handle tightly before locking it. He was too scared to let go.

A pair of arms engulfed him and a voice tried to whisper in his ear. Rio just turned around, clutching onto Carl's shirt. That had been way too close.

"It was—." He muttered. "It was this close to getting you." Rio held out a shaky hand.

Carl was still panting and just shook his head. "It's fine. We're fine." He breathed out, trying to reassure the other boy.

"Yeah... yeah, we're okay." He turned away, kneeling down on the floor to search for his knife. He pushed through piles of books and found it thrown in the corner, sticking out of a skirting board. Rio picked it up and flipped it over in his hand.

"Grab me the chalk please." Carl asked, pointing down and the stick beside Rio. He handed it to him and the boy began to write on the door. The one the Walker was trapped behind.

WALKER INSIDE
GOT MY SHOE
DIDN'T GET ME

Rio looked up at him and laughed, reading the message on the door.

"Wanna go eat some chocolate pudding now?" Carl turned around.

"Absolutely." Rio smiled.

***

The two boys sat next to each other, dangling their feet over the edge of the roof. Rio took a spoonful of chocolate pudding as Carl talked, nodding along with what he'd been saying.

"What do you think?"

"It tastes good." Rio replied. The Walker trapped in the bedroom let out a particularly loud snarl, reminding Rio that he was still there. The boy let out a loud groan, pulling his knife from his pocket.

"What are you doing?" Carl asked, grabbing his hand to stop him getting up.

"I'm gonna go get him."

"There's no point." He shrugged. "It'd be stupid to get him now."

"You wanna know what's stupid?" Rio replied, sitting back down comfortably. "All the shit you made us do today. You actually really scared me, I thought I was gonna have to hack your leg off."

He mimed sawing off Carl shoe-less leg, joking about it. The thought actually did scare him.

Rio dropped his spoon in the empty pudding container and lay back against the roof.

"Do you think we should go back?" Carl asked, a sigh following his question.

"Probably."

"Do you want to?"

"I don't think so." Rio frowned. "But your dad—."

"We need to see how he is." Carl finished for him. Rio just nodded in response, dropping his spoon into the empty pudding container.

***

Rick was still asleep when they got back, the sky had gotten dark and the two boys were both tired. Rio had curled up on the floor, sleeping by the side of Carl whose head was leant against the end of the sofa, close to Rick.

Rio jolted awake once Carl jumped back. The boy was in a panicked state as he shook him awake, scrambling across the floor to the other side of the room.

"What is it?" Rio asked, now fully awake.

"My dad— he— I think. Oh my god."

"What?" He repeated, unable to read the other boy's lips in time to keep up with his words.

Rio just watched as Rick's almost lifeless body reached out, a low groan escaping too. Carl's frenzied breath made sense now.  The boy held out his gun with shaking hands.

The bowl in Rick's hand clattered to the floor as he fell off the side of the sofa. He reached out again from the ground and Carl broke down crying. The gun in his hand wobbled as he couldn't bring himself to get closer to his dad.

"I can't." He sobbed to himself, letting his gun fall to the floor. Rio reached out, wrapping an arm around him but the boy kept looking straight at his father who now lay in a heap on the floor. "I was wrong. Just do it."

Rio held him tighter as he cried, no words coming to him.

Carl's head shot up seconds later, his grip on Rio's arm loosening as he leant closer.

"What is it?"

A faint wheeze and a whisper answered the boy's question. "Carl..." the man on the floor barely breathed out. "Don't go outside. Stay safe."

Rick tried to sit up, reaching for his son but then collapsed again, lying down on the floor. Carl crawled over quickly, raising Rick's head and resting it on his lap. He held his fathers face close whispering something only they could hear.

Rio sat back, unable to do anything but watch as Carl rested his forehead against Ricks, sobs racking his body. He whispered again before taking a cushion, placing it under his dads head.

Carl crawled back over to where Rio sat, burying his head into the boy's shoulder as he just ran a hand through his hair.

They stayed like that the whole night, neither getting much sleep as they kept a close eye on Rick. Carl cried through the night, starting and stopping every half an hour. It wasn't until Rick woke up that he stopped.

The man let out a groan, a hand immediately falling to his injury. Carl stepped forward, helping him up straight away. He made Rick lean his back against the couch, sitting right beside him as he properly woke up.

"Do you need a drink or something?" Carl asked.

"How long was I out?"

"Like a day and a half." Rio answered.

"Did you leave?"

The two boys just looked at each other then back to Rick. Neither of them answered.

"No—." Carl began to lie.

"You shouldn't have risked it. Going out there like that, the both of you know how dangerous it can be."

"We were careful." Rio said.

"It's good that you found more food." The man gestured for the bag opposite them.

"We found even more." Carl admitted. "But we ate it."

"What was it?"

"112 ounces of pudding."

Rick laughed, looking between them with disbelief.

Rio got up out of his seat and headed into the kitchen, grabbing himself a stale breakfast bar. Rick and Carl continued to talk in the other room, he didn't even try to listen.  They needed to talk.

There was a knock on the doorframe, just as he was finishing eating and Rio jumped down from the counter. He looked over to whoever knocked, finding Rick standing there with a smug grin.

"What is it?" He asked almost nervously.

"There's someone here you might wanna see."

***

There's 4188 words in this chapter and seven of them are shit and all seven are from rio what a little icon

anyway I hope you all had great holidays ‼️‼️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 318 27
•we're still alive, but we're barely breathing•. ***** "I like your cowboy hat." ...
193K 9.4K 70
Reggie Greene and Daryl Dixon met in a club a couple of months before the apocalypse started. For Daryl, being around Reggie was complicated. He grew...
32.9K 1K 55
Lillian, a name resembling a Lily Flower. or, A 10 year old girl with a tragic past. Lillian Brock, a troubled, scared girl who enters the apocalyps...
33.9K 1K 65
In the depths of the Southside, where chaos and whispers intertwine lies Kimberly an unpredictable soul confined within the walls of a psych ward. T...