Sodor's New Worker (Semi-Hiat...

By EepyTheWriter

It was the day of Thomas' arrival on Sodor, but he wasn't alone. He had a friend tagging along, and they were... More

Introduction
Picking Up a Package
Backstory, and a Place to Call Home
Meeting James
James the Jerk
Galloping Sausage
The First Night
The First Day of Work
Disaster
Visiting Hours
Welcome Home
Number 15
A Turn(table) of Events
Laughter is the Best Medicine
Peep Peep!
Just a Little Teasing!
A Moment, Please
Quack Quack
Operation: Red Disasters
A Deep Lesson About Love
Closure
A Change of Perspective
A New Train on the Block
Phone
And She Says...
Not The Only One Anymore
All Falls Down
Panic
Steam Team Detectives
Time to Bust These Buffers
Trouble
Playtime
New Friends and Distrust
Hot n' Spooky
Mystery
Paranoia
Lost
Where?
What Was Lost
Is Now Found
The Lady in Waiting
Welcome Home...Again
Facility
Bed Bath & Boredom
Winter
Fun in the Wintertime
Visits for Christmas
Scotch Tape
Dreams of Dust
Sparkle Sparkle, Time for Trouble
First Time for Everything
Scottish Turmoil
Journey Beyond and Away
Experimental!
Molten Steel
Can You Take the Heat?
Some New Year
Life Sucks
Soup for the Soul
Double Trouble
Alone Together
Streamlined
Oldie but Goldie
Hush, Little Maddy
Gone Quackers
Trust Me
Where'd You Go?
Magic Beyond
One, Two, Snap
Magically Mad
Unfortunate Circumstances
Wheels on The Bus
Constructive Criticism
Road Rebels
❗Danger❗❗Danger❗
To Those You Love
A Promise Kept
Train-ing in Session
Going Swimmingly
Will You, Won't You?
Shattered Among The Stars
Surprise Announcements
Furious Relief
Mademoiselle!
Wild Goose Chase
A Test of Patience
Seize the Day
Show and Tell
Under Pressure
Travis
Triple Trouble
Storm Clouds
Munitions
Narrow Decisions
Girl's Night
Scrapyard
Kindly Unkind
Snickerdoodle
Party Time
A Day to Remember
Under Lock and Key
Heatwave
Gone Overboard
Absquatulate
Missing Pieces
Sinclaire-ity
Stargazers
Right & Just
Beautiful Lies
Parental Supervision
Devious Returns
Friendship Tested
All About Hen
Truck Talk
Crane Game
Splendidly Split
Minus Fifteen
View from Afar
Burnt Out Star
Bluebell's Curses
Poisoned Youth
Legends Do Not Die
C'est La Vie
Peace
Rewritten
The Silent Engine
Quit Your Quackin'
Bonnie and The Diesel
Problem Solver
Heather on the Hill
Daffodils and Pine Trees
Violence Against Nature
LNER Conundrum
Black and Blue
Frankenengine
Under The Veil
Beyond the Red Dawn
Back to Black

Bittersweet BonBon

68 2 5
By EepyTheWriter

   Being a relief engine meant that you spent a lot of time doing nothing. Just waiting to be called upon for whatever. Bonnie never minded doing nothing, but there was a point where it became too much nothing.

   She had gotten a cellphone as quickly as she could, telling the controller that if she's needed, to just give her a call. 

"Are you sure about this, Bonnie?" the controller asked. "What if you're across the island?"

"I'll find a way." she quietly responded. "I quite like being a relief engine, but sitting around doing nothing until I'm called upon gets boring. Plus, I don't plan on ever being very far from the Little Western.."

"Only if you're sure, you're still quite new.."

"I assure you, I'll be on time and take whatever is needed. I'd just like to be out and about instead of sitting there doing nothing."

"You make quite an argument, don't you?" he chuckled. "Alright. I'll pass around your number to all the major outlets in and surrounding the Little Western. They'll tell you all you're needed for."

"Thank you.."

"Now I'm sure you'd like to be off and do you own thing?"

"I..would like that.."

"I can see it on your face, Ms. Miles." the controller laughed heartily. "You hold a lot of your feelings in your face. You remind me of another engine. I'm quite positive you've met him."

   Frowning, Bonnie thought about all the engines she'd met within the past  few months or so. Only one came to mind.

"A red engine..right?"

"Quite right. James is a very expressive fellow. Dramatic compared to you, but he still hold his emotions in his face and voice, well he used to with his voice."

"Used to?"

"Ah.." Sir Topham Hatt trailed off.

   He peered around to make sure that no engines were exiting or entering Knapford Station.

"He lost someone very near and dear to him quite some time ago, and I don't think he'll ever quite be over it."

"That's..very sad, sir..but.." she spoke, her brows furrowing. "Please don't compare me to other engines. With anything, please. 'Oh, you're just like her, or him, or them.' None of that, I really don't like it. I'm my own engine with my own quirks."

"I'll take it into mind, Bonnie. Thank you for being so polite about it. Now be off! Use your free time however."

"I already have things planned sir, and your chattering has made me late.."

"Oops." he sheepishly responded, face going red.

   Bonnie just gave him a polite whistle goodbye, and went on her way to go back to the Little Western.

   She quietly teetered and toodled along, paying no mind to anything but the rails beneath her wheels, listening to music from giant purple, heatproof headphones that she specifically had made for herself, as she quite liked music as she puffed along on the track. Bonnie assured Sir Topham Hatt that she'd still pay attention to her surroundings, and not let the music distract her from her assignments. Plus, how could he say no with the giant kitty ears the headphones had.

   It wasn't surprising to her she got many 'aaaaw' and 'how adorable!'s from various passing engine. It was cute, and she knew it.

   Bonnie took her sweet, sweet time getting back to the Little Western. While she did have plans, as she told her boss, she wasn't exactly late for anything, because Bonnie was her own boss.

   Because she had so much free time on her hands, just like Nate, she took up a hobby, creating covers of various genres of music and posting them online. Also like Nate, the moment she had a chance, she asked her controller to be paid at least every week and a half, so she could afford better equipment for her hobby, after having enough to purchase a phone, of course. 

   She had the basics for recording and editing her covers of whatever she chose, as well as a music making software she painstakingly learned to use so she could tweak the genre of the song and make it her own cover. Bonnie also made it clear that if anyone at the Little Western touched her stuff, she'd cry, which was more effective than she thought it would be.

   The little grey saddle tank had everything prepared for her next cover, all that she needed to do was record the vocals for it. Her fans knew she had it prepared, and it was to be released within the next couple of days, which she was easily able to do, so she took her sweet time.

   Waiting at a red signal, Bonnie hummed along to the song that was currently on.

"Aaaany day now.." she spoke to the signal.

   Almost by magic, the signal flipped down, as if telling her right then and there that she could go. Smiling to herself, she slowly puffed forward.

   It was then, far too late, she heard a whistle coming from the other direction, and a loud 'GET OUT OF MY WAY!'

   She perfectly knew that she didn't run a red signal, but it didn't matter, because the other engine did, ramming right into her and knocking them and herself right off the rails, even tipping her on her side, sending both her glasses and headphones flying.

   Both of those things were the least of her problems.

"There are rules you still have to follow, you idiot." she heard a male voice say. "You can't just IGNORE SIGNALS."

"My signal was green, Roland." the derailed engine replied innocently. "Must I remind you you're colorblind?"

"I- am NOT colorblind! But look at what you've done, you've derailed a poor engine and knocked them over. You're not making our return here a very positive one. Keep this up and I'm going my own way and making my own reputation. I'm not getting shunned off this island again because of you."

"Just shut up and go get help, Roland." the engine spat. "Make it snappy, I have places to be, you know."

"That engine you just rammed probably had someone to go too!"

"I didn't.." she groaned. "I sure hope I didn't, anyway.."

"Oh, good, Alfred, you didn't kill her. What's your name? Are you okay?"

"My name is Bonnie, and....I am less than okay. Please go get help."

"See, Alfred? That's how you be polite and nice. There's not a drop of malice in the wee one's voice."

   Rolling his eyes, the supposed Alfred didn't respond as the other engine, apparently known as Roland, puffed off to go get help.

"Bonnie, was it?" Alfred hummed. "I can't say I've ever heard of you. Are you a new engine?"

"Don't talk to me." she whispered.

"Why ever not? We've just met.."

"I don't like your voice or the intent that lies under it. You also ran me over, so pardon me if I don't want to make small talk with you. Plus, your 'boo-hoo I'm the victim' voice makes my headache worse..so please just be quiet until help arrives."

   Alfred scoffed at the polite, yet insulting tone the small engine had in her voice. Quiet, yet still firm.

   Apparently, though, it was Bonnie who ended up breaking the silence.

"That Roland inferred that you two have been here before....what that's about?"

"Oh, that.." he hummed. "Well, my dear BonBon-"

"Don't call me that."

"...Roland and I were part of the original crew of the NWR. Some unfortunate events caused both him and me to be kicked off the island."

"Mm."

   Alfred proceeded to tell his sob story to Bonnie. What he couldn't tell, though, is that she wasn't listening and gave exactly no shits about this strange engine's story. Not only that, she could tell that he wasn't telling an exactly true story, just from the tone of his voice.

"Oh, finally." he groaned, which was her cue to start listening again. "Help's finally arrived."

"Good Lord, what the hell happened here?" an engine called.

"I don't recognize your voice or your shape. Who are you..?" Bonnie questioned.

"I'm Nathan..and this other engine is Henry."

"Oh, Henry. Edward told me about you, pleasure." she replied to the large green blob.

   However, the blob didn't reply. He was horrorstruck, and while she couldn't exactly telling from his face, she could tell from his quickened breathing.

"Henry?" Nathan asked. "Are you okay, man?"

"I-" 

"Henny!" Alfred cooed out. "Long time no see, my darling.."

"You.." the big green engine choked. "Why are you here!?"

"Well I'm visiting, of course, it's been so long since I've seen you..."

"No! Absolutely not. No, no, no!"

"Do I need to get someone else..?" Nathan peeped. "What the hell is going on..?"

"Your guess is as good as mine, Natha-"

   But before anything could be arranged, Henry hooted the most fearful whistle, and busted ass into the other direction, panicking the whole way.

"Alllllright then." Nathan frowned. "Guess I'm getting someone else."

"Please don't leave me with him." Bonnie pleaded. "If you do, at least put my glasses on so I can see.."

"I can assure you, I'm not leaving you alone, Bon." Nathan smiled. "Luckily for me, unlike Roland, I have a cellular device."

   Rolling her eyes in annoyance, Nate took it as a sign to just get her big ol' glasses back on her big ol' face.

"Better?"

"Much, now call someone, please."

"On it. Pleasure to meet you, by the way."

   Nathan stepped away to make a call to someone. Luckily for Bonnie, he wasn't far away enough, and heard who he was calling.

"Oh joy..the staring engine.."

"Pardon?" Nate hummed, coming back to set things up as much he could.

"Gordon was staring at me when I first showed up to get assigned. Made me feel creepy.."

"Bah, Gordon's a grump, but I assure you he means well. Probably just because you were new at the time."

"Mm."

   Bonnie, Alfred and Nate waited for what appeared to be ages for the Grand Glorious Gordon Gresley to show up to help them. When he finally showed back up, he was quite shocked and appalled at what the sight was.

"Goodness gracious." the grand blue engine spluttered. "You...you're here, already damaging innocent engines?"

"Gordon, can't say I'm pleased to see you."

"Likewise, 98462."

"I have a name, and I assure you I know you know what it is."

"You don't deserve a name." he spat, turning his attention to Bonnie. "Now are you alright, Little Bonnie?"

"My glasses are cracked, I got extensive damage to my side, it hurts to breathe and I've got the worst headache..and he ruined my headphones."

"Typical 98462, ruining things for others. Nathan, you take care of him, I'll care for Bonnie."

"Greeeeeeat." Nathan grumbled. "Stick me with the asshat."

"Just do it."

"Yeah yeah."

   Once loaded on their respected flat beds, they were quickly assessed for damage, and it seemed that Bonnie took the extent of the damage, while Alfred just had damage to his buffers and front wheels.

"Let's get you off to the works, you two." Gordon sternly said.

"No." Bonnie pleaded. "I have something to do at Tidmouth Hault. Please take me there."

"Bonnie, your piston's gonna fall off. You need to go to Crovan's Gate."

   All three engines there just looked confused at what would be so urgent to Bonnie that she postponed getting repaired for.

"Nathan, you just take Alfred to Crovan's Gate. I'll talk to Bonnie."

"So you're gonna leave me alone with him?"

"Yes. Now go."

   Grumbling, Nate coupled up to his load and made a beeline for Crovan's Gate, while Gordon stayed behind with Bonnie to try to get an answer.

"What's so important at Tidmouth Hault?"

"My equipment."

"For..?"

"Recording. Must I remind you.." she quietly started, yet still anxious and rather desperate. "I'm a relief engine. I spend a lot of time doing nothing, so I've taken up the hobby of making music covers.."

"Really now?" Gordon replied, piqued. "Well, I must say this is news to me, but I don't tend to spend much time online. Why is it so important?"

"I promised my fans a new cover in a few days...I'm just missing the vocals...if I can just get this done, Duck can handle the rest of it.."

"Duck?"

"He supports me and helps me out every now and then..so..please.." she pleaded. "Get me to Tidmouth Hault."

".....Oh, alright.." the big engine sighed. "Let's get you to Tidmouth Hault.."

   While getting her there, Gordon couldn't help but wonder what kind of engine like Bonnie would do.

"What...exactly do you cover?"

"I...cover anything really..usually I put a rock'n'roll spin on it, but not this time. Just my own person spin on a song that's quite popular."

"What is it this time?" 

"Now I can't tell you that.." she said, almost teasingly. "You'll have to wait for it to come out. Or, you could stay to hear, long as you're quiet."

"Pah, I probably don't listen to whatever type of music it is. But you, Little Bonnie, don't me as someone who would listen to rock'n'roll.."

"I surprise everyone..." she giggled softly. "I like all kinds of music.."

   Upon getting at Tidmouth Hault though, Duck just so happened to be there, having a nap, when he heard Gordon's whistle sound off. He was confused, why was Gordon here?

"Gordon?"

"Duck, thank goodness you're here."

"What's going on?"

"Bonnie got into an accident, but insisted she come here."

"Stars, is she okay!?"

"I'm fine, Duck..it's just a scratch.."

"THAT IS NOT A SCRATCH, ANWYL-"

"An..what?" Gordon asked, puzzled.

"Anwyl. It means 'dear' in Welsh. He likes to call me that."

"How sweet, now how about we get you off this flatbed?"

"Help Gordon set up my things please, Duck.."

"You're gonna record? In this condition?"

"My vocals are fine, Ducksworth..please?"

   She knew that Duck couldn't resisted her icy puppy eyes, and she used it often. More than she'd like to admit. Sighing, yet chuckling to himself, doing as Bonnie asked, setting up her equipment as Gordon helped her off the flatbed and into the shed.

"Are these-?"

"She soundproofed our sheds."

"Without asking?"

"Of course not, Gordon." Duck snidely replied. "She asked so politely that Oliver and I couldn't say no, plus, it looks nice."

"Ah, well, there you are, Little Bonnie. Make it quick, I really should get you to Crovan's Gate."

"I'll take as long as I need."

"You're in for quite a show, Gordon." Duck chuckled.

"Am I now?"

   After some vocal warm ups, Gordon soon realized that Duck was nothing short of correct. Completely different than what he was used to, Bonnie's soft and wispy voice turned into something with beauty, confidence and power. He, surprisingly had heard the song before, as the movie it came from was widely popular, and many passengers listened to it.

   Quietly, as to not disturb her groove, Duck shut the shed doors, turning around to find the big engine absolutely astounded.

"What?"

"All that comes from her?"

"Mhm. Bonnie's got a voice, but this is what she chooses to use it for, and I support her."

"You, Montague, are a suck up."

"No, Gordon. I'm an engine in love."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.5K 297 21
You have lived your entire life on the Mainlands. That is until you get a letter from Sir Topham Hatt to come work on his railway on the beautiful is...
38.6K 1.5K 14
"I hear the underworld is just swell this time of year." "Really?" "No." ________________________________________________ (Name) had a lot of questio...
1.8K 8 13
Thomas steals a goods train from James in order to go to the mainland and see the world. All in all, things seem fine at first with him meeting engin...
1.2M 38.9K 135
Sebastian Sallow is a tortured soul with the world on his shoulders whose only mission is to save his sister Anne - at any cost. Atley Barlowe is a b...