The Final Storm

By RobThier

Love! Adaira Ambrose has finally found it, and doesn't plan to let it go. Who cares about the thousands of mi... More

01. Seeking A Sister
02. From Bad to Worse
03. To Fall Flat
04. Flat Race
05. Finally Found!
06. Secret Agreement
08. The Harsh Duties of a Soldier
09. (Rest in) Peaceful Negotiations
10. Hello There, Widow Wagoner!
11.All Roads Lead to...Delhi?
12. Family Reunion
13. The Drums of War
14. The Captain and the Lord
15. Into India!
16. Long Live the Rebellion!
17. Heat in the Jungle
18. Welcome to Delhi!
19. To Rescue a Damsel
20. Rescuing another Damsel?
21. Love Birds Reunited
22. Love Bird on the Hunt
23. Capturing the Spy
24. Consecutive Coincidences
25. Down into the Depths
26. Today They Will Die!
27. Refugees?
28. Ambush!
29. Dalgliesh's Plan
30. Desperate Battle

07. Confrontation

10.7K 801 220
By RobThier

Adaira felt sweat trickle down her forehead as she waited in little Berty's room—or at least what she assumed to be little Berty's room. It wasn't like she could actually see anything through that infernal getup Lilly had stuffed her into. Still, she didn't say a peep of complaint. Any moment now, her brother would enter the room. The boy who had (reluctantly) played with her when she was little. The boy who had (under protest) given her shoulder rides. The man who knew her best in the world. A few seconds from now, he would step into this room. And everything depended on him not recognizing her.

Please, please, please, don't let him recognize me! Don't let him recognize me! Don't let him—

Her thoughts were abruptly interrupted by the sound of someone stepping into the room.

"Why, hello there, darling!" Lilly piped up from beside her in a totally unsuspicious manner. "Welcome back!"

"Who," Adaira heard someone reply who, just judging by rudeness, could only be her brother, "is that?"

"Oh, that?" Footsteps approached and, a moment later, Adaira felt a hand on her arm. "This is the new governess I hired."

Adaira swallowed. It had arrived. The moment of truth. The biggest difficulty in her plan. She stood stock-still, trying her best to seem as inconspicuous as possible, or better yet, pretending she wasn't there at all. If she could just keep him from recognizing her, she would get her chance to go to India! But he was her brother after all. Was it really possible that he wouldn't recognize his little sis—

"You hired the grim reaper as a governess?"

Adaira felt her fingers twitch.

Apparently, she had been wrong before. The biggest difficulty wouldn't be to prevent her brother from recognizing her. The biggest difficulty would be to prevent herself from trying to strangle the bastard, thus revealing her identity.

"Mr Ambrose! She's not the grim reaper!"

"Indeed? Too bad. With a skeleton as governess, we could have saved money on meals."

Adaira's fingers twitched again.

Resist. Resist the temptation. New employees do not punch their employers in the face. New employees do not punch their employers in the face.

Especially since it would probably hurt her hand more than his face. Stupid, hard-headed idiot brother!

"Hm..." Footsteps approached. A moment later, they veered off their former path and started to circle around her. Despite not being able to see a thing through the thick, black veil in front of her face, Adaira could practically feel the chilly gaze boring into her from all sides.

"Why is she dressed like that, then?" he demanded. "Wearing a veil, and all in black? I will not have some crackpot looking after our child!"

It was quite impressive how he could make her feel both pissed off by being insulting and warm in the heart for showing so much care for his son. A unique big brother talent, probably.

"No, no, you've misunderstood," came Lilly's swift response. "It's not that she has strange preferences in fashion, she is a widow in mourning. That's the reason she is dressed like that, and that's also the reason she wants to leave England." She gave a sigh worthy of a Shakespearean actress. "Apparently, everything here reminds her of her dear, departed husband. It's so sad."

"Hm." The monosyllabic reply showed Rikkard Ambrose's boundless capacity for sympathy. It was truly amazing to have such a kind older sibling. "Why doesn't she say anything? Is she dumb?"

Truly amazing indeed.

"I would hope not. Only smart people deserve to take care of my little Berty." Adaira could practically hear the suppressed hilarity in Lilly's voice, and she did not doubt at whom it was directed. Deep inside, she swore she was going to get her revenge for this! As soon as she could get out of this darn costume and be herself again!

So...in half a year or so? Because that's how long it takes to get to India. A year if you count the journey back.

Sometimes, she really, really regretted letting her brother teach her maths. And it wasn't the only thing she regretted. Right now, she lamented letting Lilly take charge of her disguise. After her disastrous experience as a crossdressing army volunteer, Adaira had thought that, maybe, she herself wasn't good at coming up with disguises. Surely, Lilly, who had gotten away with her own disguise for several years in succession, would be better at it, right?

Hah!

A veiled widow in mourning who wouldn't speak? Really? As if that would ever work!

"Jokes aside, though, she is not dumb, in any sense of the word," Lilly continued, and Adaira could only stand there and listen. "But there is a reason she has not spoken up yet. In fact, it is this reason why I think she is uniquely qualified to be your employee."

"Indeed? And what, pray, is that reason?"

"In remembrance of her dear departed husband," came Lilly's answer in a faux-sad tone, "she has taken a vow of silence."

Adaira closed her eyes.

Damn you Lilly and your idiotic schemes!

Any moment now, her brother was going to see through this ridiculous ruse and tear off her veil. Any moment now. Any moment no—

"Indeed? How pleasant. Accepted."

Adaira's eyes shot open.

"She has not taken a vow of poverty as well, perchance?" came his voice again, sounding slightly hopeful.

"I don't know. Let's ask her."

Adaira had the distinct feeling of two enquiring pairs of eyes looking at her, one of them far too mirthful for her liking. Luckily, she had the presence of mind to nod her veiled head.

"Oh my! You were right, darling!"

"Hm. Adequate. That will save wages. You can consider yourself hired, Mrs..."

"Wagoner," Lilly piped up, making Adaira nearly choke on her own spit. "Mrs Wagoner."

"Indeed? Well, you are hired, Mrs Wagoner. I shall leave the rest of the necessary arrangements in my wife's hands."

"Oh? Giving up the chance to intimidate a prospective employee? This isn't like you, darling."

"I still have to check the latest reports from my agents in India. Obtaining passage has proven more challenging than expected."

And without further ado, he stalked out of the room.

Adaira's shoulders sagged—and, a moment later, she reached out to whack Lilly over the head. Unfortunately, due to the veil, she could hardly see anything and only hit her sister-in-law's shoulder.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Wagoner?" Adaira replied, her voice utterly deadpan. "Really?"

Somehow, even through the veil, she could see the other woman's cheeky grin. "Well, I could hardly say 'Carter' now, could I? That would have been a little too on the nose."

"How about I give you something on the nose? My fist, for example!"

"Now, now. Is that any way to thank your sister-in-law?"

"No. But then again, I'm not your sister-in-law at the moment, am I?" Adaira cracked her knuckles. "In fact, I've been reliably informed that I'm the grim reaper."

"Um...is that so?" Judging by the sound, Lilly was smart enough to take a few steps back. "Then how about we find you some clothes that look slightly less reaper-y?"

"Excellent idea," Adaira agreed, stepped forward—and ran face-first into a floor lamp.

"Ow!"

"Err...maybe I should get you a slightly more see-through veil first."

"Even better idea."

"Great! Wait here!"

"Oh no! I'll naturally run around and bump into a few more walls!"

***

The next few days, Adaira spent mostly in an inconspicuous corner, doing chores and attending to her duty. She didn't really have much to complain about. So far, the plan had gone off without a hitch. Her time as governess would have been nice and quiet, except...

"Waaah! Waaaah!"

"Mrs Wagoner!" an all-too-familiar voice floated in from the next room. "Berty needs his diapers changed again!"

Eyebrows twitching, Adaira stalked into the neighbouring room—where she found Lilly lounging on the sofa and sipping fruit juice from a glass decorated with a paper umbrella.

"Ah, there you are, Mrs Wagoner! Just in time. Do go ahead. The diapers are in that corner over there, and the changing table is to your left."

Adaira's eyebrows twitched again. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

"Me? Enjoying this?" Putting on an innocent look, Lilly placed a hand on her chest. "Oh, dear Mrs Wagoner, what could you possibly mean? I am simply helping you fulfil your role as governess, just as you wished when you asked for the job."

"You know perfectly well what I mean, you devious vixen, you! You planned this from the moment I said I applied for this job, didn't you?"

Just then, Berty, the little devil with impeccable timing, released a fragrant cloud.

"You really think so lowly of me?" Lilly told her with a sad look while using her free hand to clamp her nose shut. "You wound me!"

"I'm fairly certain I didn't. But I'd like to."

"Now, now, don't be upset. This is all for your own good, you know."

"My...own good?"

Adaira wanted to chuck something at the other woman's head. Unfortunately, the only things within reach were a baby making happy noises and a stack of diapers she was supposed to use.

"Oh yes." Her infernal sister-in-law had the temerity to nod seriously. "You're about to rush off to India to rescue your man, right?"

"Right...?"

"Well, what are you going to do with him when you find him?"

That was rather obvious, wasn't it?

"Marry him, of course!"

"And what do you think happens after marriage?"

"Well, I suppose we'll find a house, settle down, raise some childr—"

Adaira's voice abruptly cut off.

"Exactly!" With a wide, beaming smile on her face, Lilly nodded. "I'm just letting you get in some practice before the big event. Aren't you grateful to me?"

Adaira opened her mouth—and then closed it again. Because, dang it, she couldn't find any reasonable way to refute that!

"Waah waah!"

Though, if she would have to deal with this for several months, maybe she would just use an unreasonable one.

By the time the devilish little poop machine had finally been wrapped in a new diaper, Adaira was about ready to drop. She also discovered that wiping a baby's butt while wearing a nearly opaque black veil was a feat comparable to the legendary labours of Hercules. All that was missing was a stable and a herd of wild horses.

Yet, even the worst things in life do not last forever. At long last, she finally tied the last knot on the cloth diaper and was done. Now she could find a nice, comfy armchair and relax for a bit and—

"You're done? Excellent!" came a sudden voice from roughly three inches behind her. "Just in time for your next task, dear Mrs Wagoner."

Turning around to face the ifrit in human form (Her brother had been so right about that!) Adaira sent her a deadpan look.

"You are enjoying this far too much."

"Are you not enjoying yourself, Mrs Wagoner?" Lilly's eyes widened in innocence. "Why, it almost seems as if you do not like your new job."

"I wonder what gave you that impression."

"Don't worry." Slinging an arm around her shoulders, Lilly started manoeuvring her towards a nearby door. In that moment, Adaira discovered that Lilly was in fact a lot stronger than she looked. "You're going to love your next task."

Adaira narrowed her eyes. "Am I?"

"Oh yes. Come along, dear. My husband doesn't like lazy employees."

"You don't say. I would never have guessed."

Ready to cover her nose at any time, Adaira followed her dear sister-in-law out of the front door of the hotel suite and down several steps. However, to her great relief, the next task did not seem to involve dirty diapers in any shape or form. She was somewhat confused as to what it did involve, though. Because when they reached the foyer, they didn't stop, but instead started to descend down into the cellar. In the end, they came to a halt in front of a dingy wooden door in some dark corridor that would have fit more into the dungeons of the Spanish inquisition than a London luxury hotel.

"What is this?" Adaira demanded. Lilly didn't really find some place for her to muck out, did she?

"Come and see." With a nod of the head, Lilly indicated the door.

Filled with curiosity and trepidation, Adaira pushed open the door—only to reveal a surprisingly clean and well-lit room beyond. It was completely empty except for a row of wooden panels on the opposite wall. Panels on which someone with a distinct lack of artistic talent had drawn human figures.

Adaira swallowed. "What...what is this?"

Lilly followed her into the room and stepped up beside her. "You want to help rescue Captain Carter, don't you?"

Adaira nodded.

"Well, then I have to tell you something." Where, upstairs, there had still been an amused twinkle in Lilly's eyes, there was now nothing but utter solemnity. Reaching into the bag she had brought with her, she pulled out a darkly gleaming metal object. Adaira's eyes widened at the sight of the gun. "As you are now, you aren't going to be of much help. If you want to be part of this, you had better learn quickly, understood?"

Adaira swallowed, and nodded solemnly. But one corner of her mouth instinctively curled up into a smile. Before she knew it, her hand had reached out and grabbed the revolver.

"When do we start?"

"Well, you know that saying my husband has..." Lilly smiled. "Knowledge is power is time is money."

Immediately, Adaira turned to aim, cocked the gun and fired.

Brief Berty breaks excepted, they trained for the remainder of the afternoon. It wasn't the first time Adaira had touched a gun, but she was a little rusty. For some reason, her bastard father who wanted to marry her off against her will didn't like her having access to firearms. Probably smart of him, all things considered.

Yet now, under the tutelage of an experienced markswoman like Lilly, she progressed astonishingly fast. In three hours, she went from hitting the limbs of the painted figures every now and again to hitting their crotches every single time.

Ha! Just wait till I get home, daddy dearest!

"You are getting better," Lilly approved. "Though it is usually safer to aim for centre mass."

"So...the head?"

"Not all men are as big-headed as your father, dear."

"Just most?"

"Well...yes. But it's probably still safer to aim for the chest."

Following her advice, Adaira took aim once more.

Bam! Bam! Bam!

Her muscles trembled under the force of the recoil, but still, all three shots landed on the chest of the human figure.

"Hm. Not bad. Not bad at all." Lilly nodded. "Of course, you still need to ask your enemies to kindly stand still while you're shooting at them, but it's progress."

Adaira gave her sister-in-law a hopeful look.

"No, I won't find you living targets to shoot at. Don't even think about it."

Dang it. She'd really hoped that would work.

"Aww. And here I was hoping I—"

"Shh!"

Suddenly, there was a hand over her mouth. Adaira was just about to protest when she heard it—the sound of footsteps approaching fast from beyond the door. Adaira felt Lilly pull her veil down, remove the grip from her mouth and step away from her, but she needed no hand over her mouth anymore to know to keep quiet. A moment later, the door was pushed open and Mr Rikkard Ambrose strode into the room.

Only then did Adaira remember she was currently a grieving widow, and now she was standing in a dingy cellar room with her employer's wife, a gun in her hand and bullet holes in the walls.

Oh crap.

"What the...?!"

Was this it? Was she caught?

Although the look of almost-surprise on her brother's face, visible even through her veil, would make this almost worth it.

Almost.

Gulping, Adaira stared down at the gun in her hand, and then looked up at her brother.

Crap, crap, crap! What am I going to say? What could possibly be a reasonable explanation for—

"Oh, hello, dear." Lilly gave her husband a beaming smile. "Mrs Wagoner was just telling me the sad story of how her husband was murdered by a cutthroat, so I had Karim put together this place and took her down here to practise."

Oh.

"Vengeance, is it?"

Through the thick veil, Adaira could just make out her brother cocking his head and throwing her an approving look.

How come it took her dressing up as a murderous widow for her brother to approve of her?!

"Not bad." The son of a bachelor nodded. "It will be useful to have someone else capable of defending themselves on our journey east instead of some dead weight. And, speaking of our journey east..."

Abruptly, Adaira felt her stomach tighten. As did her grip on the gun.

"It's time." With a jerk of the head, her brother indicated the door. "We're leaving."

Once more, Adaira's grip on the gun tightened until it was almost painful. In her eyes behind the veil, a fierce light was lit.

Don't die, Captain! I'm coming for you!

--------------------------------------------

My dear Readers,

Next chapter: Captain Carter's POV!

Oh, and in case you were surprised that the journey to and from India would take an entire year - sailing ships were indeed not very speedy. During the nineteenth century (at least before the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869), a journey from England to India went around the Cape of Good Hope and took at least six months under best conditions.

Yours Truly

Sir Rob 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.7K 2K 34
Ava Shetty, a girl with an enchanting aura, had the power to sprinkle happiness wherever she went. With her protective older brother and loving paren...
4.3M 348K 56
When Alaia married the billionaire, Agastya Singhania, she was okay to be stepped in a loveless marriage. She knew from the start that she'd always...
6.1M 209K 52
She has it all except his heart. She had done both amazing and ridiculous things but was still treated as a wallflower. She's been a good wife. Bu...
41K 1.6K 42
"I am not accepting any of those things you just said, and even if you're the KING, learn to take NO as an answer." She exclaimed . " You're just mak...