Glee: World of Chances (the f...

بواسطة arias3

Part 4 of the Taking on New Directions series! المزيد

Chapter 1: Where Are They Now?
Chapter 2: 4 Months Later
Chapter 3: New New Directions
Chapter 4: Reunion
Chapter 5: I Will Fall
Chapter 6: Off-Campus
Chapter 7: Entourage
Chapter 8: Single
Chapter 9: Music Video
Chapter 10: Viewing Party
Chapter 11: Mr. Best Man
Chapter 12: Fun
Chapter 13: Old Flames
Chapter 14: Fade Into You
Chapter 15: Common Ground
Chapter 16: Perfect Duos
Chapter 17: A Mika Story Part 1
Chapter 18: A Mika Story Part 2
Chapter 19: Before the Scare
Chapter 20: Lowering the Stakes
Chapter 21: Running from the Past
Chapter 22: Break a Leg
Chapter 23: Welcome Back
Chapter 24: Homecoming
Chapter 25: The Beauty Within
Chapter 26: Ah-Mazing
Chapter 27: Four-Ever
Chapter 28: Mashed Potatoes
Chapter 29: Opportunity
Chapter 30: Prove It
Chapter 31: Gossip Chick
Chapter 32: Secrets
Chapter 33: Hero/Heroine
Chapter 34: The Interview
Chapter 35: The Nightmare Before Christmas
Chapter 36: Winter Wonderland
Chapter 37: Doubts
Chapter 38: 2021
Chapter 39: Risk
Chapter 40: L.O.V.E.
Chapter 41: Artie's Script
Chapter 42: Musical From Hell
Chapter 43: How to Succeed
Chapter 44: Finish
Chapter 45: Single Latina Female
Chapter 46: Rebels
Chapter 47: I Believe
Chapter 48: My Religion
Chapter 49: A Kiss Part 1
Chapter 50: A Kiss Part 2
Chapter 51: Disney 4.0
Chapter 52: Fly to Your Fixer Upper
Chapter 53: Three is a Party
Chapter 54: New Perspective
Chapter 55: Fear Factor
Chapter 56: Sink or Swim
Chapter 57: Countdown
Chapter 58: Rehearsal Dinner
Chapter 59: Speak Now
Chapter 60: I Will Never Let You Know
Chapter 61: Another Day
Chapter 62: Tired of Playing
Chapter 63: Facebook 2.0
Chapter 64: Love Heals
Chapter 65: A Day in the Life of Shana
Chapter 66: Charitable Day
Chapter 67: Hidden
Chapter 68: Nausea, Hallucinations, and Other Signs You're In Need of Help
Chapter 69: This Isn't Normal
Chapter 70: The Biggest Heartbreak
Chapter 72: The One Where Sam Finds Out
Chapter 73: That Awkward Moment When Alex Ruins Everything
Chapter 74: We Can Talk About It Later
Chapter 75: All We Know is Paramore
Chapter 76: Brand New Riot
Chapter 77: The San Diego Music Festival
Chapter 78: London's Calling
Chapter 79: Is This Really a New Chapter Though?
Chapter 80: The Last Time

Chapter 71: A Day at McKinley

809 29 12
بواسطة arias3

"Thank you for coming," Finn said as he greeted the twelve alumni who were sitting in front of him in the choir room. "As you all know, Jesse is getting married this Saturday. Because of that, he will be gone all week, as he is busy preparing for the big day and feminist Quinn would not let him dare do any less work than he. Plus, he's dealing with some of Santana's press related things since she just did a small tour and—"

"Get to the point," Kitty rolled her eyes. "I don't think I need to remind you that we have busy lives." She turned to Stefan, who was on his phone playing a game, and added, "Well, some of us do."

Looking up at her and grinning, Stefan interjected, "She's right, we have things to do."

"Which is why I'm so grateful that you could all take time out of your very busy schedules to come here today," Finn nodded. "Especially you Sugar. You don't even live here and yet you showed up."

"I'm here a little early for the wedding," Sugar explained with a big smile. "But you know I'm always happy to help."

Santana rolled her eyes and said, "I'd just like to clarify that if I'm here it's because I just got off of a small tour I did in Cali and I needed somewhere to kill my time while I wait for Q's wedding."

"I'm excited for that too!" Albany shrieked.

Sugar turned to her and said, "Ok, I've met everyone else here but what's with this chick?"

Finn smiled and explained, "She's Albany. She teaches here."

"And I'm Shana's girlfriend," Albany added. "Shana was a little busy running errands today but I'm here in her place."

"And I'm so glad that you are!" Finn thanked her.

Bree cleared her throat and nodded in Leila's direction. "Oh!" Finn exclaimed. "And Leila. Thank you so much! You're not even an alum and you're here giving your valuable time to help the kids."

"Of course," Leila smiled. "I always have fun here."

"Unfortunately, it won't all be fun," Finn explained with a heavy heart. "Stewart left us a few weeks ago and though Blaine, who was his mentor, won't be here for a few more days, we thought that maybe we could get all of the other mentors to pair up with the kids and sing a few songs to continue airing out their feelings. Last week they talked about how they felt about him. Now I want them to talk to each other. Or rather... sing..."

Harmony raised her hand and asked, "So do we convince our mentees to sing to people they have things they want to say to then?"

"Not exactly," Finn shook his head. "I thought for this assignment we could switch things up. Instead of the assigned mentors of earlier in the year, we'll have different pairings. They've been selected already, so I need you to just wait until I read out the list and then wait for the kids to get here. Then you can talk to them and find out what truths you both have in common that you can put into song and sing in front of everyone."

"Cool assignment Mr. Hudson," Sam goofed around. "I'm in."

"Me, too," John nodded, trying to ease his way back into Sam's social circle. Unfortunately, it wasn't working, and Sam was still very upset with him. The worst part was that because everyone agreed that he'd done something very terrible, nobody would offer to help them mend their friendship.

Jake crossed his arms and asked, "Ok, so we're taking some time off of our lives to do this. Let's get started then. Who are we paired up with?"

***

"So what do you want to sing about?" Bree asked Ade as they took a seat in an empty Geography classroom. "You can sing about anything to anyone. That's a pretty cool assignment."

"And I get to sing with you," Ade added. "I sort of love your voice. And your clothes."

Bree laughed. "Thanks. I'm glad. So is there anything you want to get out or talk about with me?"

"Not really," she shook her head. "Stewart was a really good friend to me, you know? There were the loud ones, like Kayli, or Riley or the jocks... And then there were the rest of us. Last week I sang a song for him and tonight I just want to sing a song because I like the song."

"I totally love and respect that," Bree nodded. "What song did you have in mind?"

***

["I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz.]

Bree: Well, you dawned on me and you bet I felt it. I tried to be chill, but you're so hot that I melted. I fell right through the cracks. Now I'm trying to get back.

Stefan smiled as soon as Bree started singing. She may not know it, but she was his best friend, and just being in the same room as her made him feel comfortable.

Ade: Before the cool done run out. I'll be giving it my bestest. And nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention. I reckon, it's again my turn. To win some or learn some.

As Ade and Bree sang together, the former tried to look as poised and mature as the latter but she found that task extremely difficult. So much was running through her head that she couldn't find a way to clear her mind.

Both: But I won't hesitate. No more, no more. It cannot wait. I'm yours.

Ade forced herself to smile, looking down at the ground and thinking that even her favorite song in the whole wide world couldn't change the ugly truth that one of her good friends was now gone.

Ade: Well, open up your mind and see like me. Open up your plans and damn you're free.Look into your heart and you'll find love, love, love, love.

As Bree sang, she began to think about Stewart, too. She'd interacted with him maybe once or twice since he'd been at McKinley, but there was so much about his death that brought her to face the reality of her own life. It was short and she wasn't living it fully.

Bree: Listen to the music of the moment, people dance and sing, we're just one big family. And it's our God-forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved...

While they sang, it got to a point where everyone wondered how a song that was so joyful and spirited could feel so glum.

Both: So I won't hesitate. No more, no more. It cannot wait. I'm sure. There's no need to complicate. Our time is short. This is our fate, I'm yours.

When Kitty saw the look on Bree's face, she bit her lip. She could tell what was running through her best friend's mind immediately and now it was running through her mind. They were wasting away the best years of their lives.

Bree: I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror. And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer. But my breath fogged up the glass. And so I drew a new face and I laughed.

Kitty turned her attention to Ade, so young, a bright future ahead of her... Did she know that? Or would she just sit around and wait for the day when that realization hit her? 

Ade: I guess what I'll be saying is there ain't no better reason to rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons. It's what we aim to do.Our name is our virtue.

Bree turned to Stefan and continued to sing, annoyed at herself. He was always telling her to live like she was dying but she'd never really realized the meaning of that phrase until now. She had been so focused on building her fashion empire that the rest of her life was still in pieces.

Both: But I won't hesitate. No more, no more. It cannot wait, I'm yours.

She could have a daughter like Ade. Or a son like that Jeremy kid. Sweet, enthusiastic, gracious. Or maybe someone like Kayli or that Clint boy, with a very strong character just like hers. Kitty had found herself a daughter who was her perfect match and Bree didn't even have a person to ever dream about having kids with. Hadn't had one in a very long time.

Ade: Well, open up your mind and see like me. Open up your plans and damn you're free. Look into your heart and you'll find that the sky is yours.

While she knew she couldn't just look through Finn's students and pinpoint the one she'd like to adopt, it was time she started looking into her future further than her career. She needed something more, something that would completely transform her. But what would be her next step?

Bree: So please don't, please don't, please don't... There's no need to complicate. 'Cause our time is short. This oh, this oh, this is our fate. I'm yours.

While Ade was just thinking of what sophomore year would be like after this terrible event, Bree was questioning the rest of her life. She had to force herself to take action, the way she had with Ryder when she urged him to start his life with a woman. Now he was far away and she was still here in Lima, living with a woman who had already kick-started every aspect of her life.

Both: Oh, I'm yours. Oh, I'm yours. Oh, oh. Baby, do you believe, I'm yours? You best believe, you best believe, I'm yours.

She looked up at Stefan and squinted her eyes. He wasn't the best choice but he was an option and had always been there. Maybe it was about time she tried things out a little differently.

***

"So..." Stefan began, walking down an empty hallway with Jeremy. "We got paired up together... That's pretty cool."

"I agree," Jeremy nodded, the usual excitement in his voice gone.

"Cool," Stefan continued. "So what should we sing? Have any feelings you want to get out? Any song that's been in your head?"

"I know what this is," Jeremy interrupted him just as he was beginning another sentence. "Mr. Hudson wants to know if we're all ok after what happened to Stewart. And I'm fine. I'm sad but... I'm not depressed. Stewart was a great person and I didn't take his death lightly. I cried. I talked to my girlfriend and my friends and my family and others... But I'm ok. And I've learned not to take life for granted."

Stefan forced himself to smile. "So you're an optimist." His brow arched, his added, "Just like me!"

Jeremy choked out a laugh. "Guess so."

"I like that," Stefan said. "And I have just the song for us."

***

["I Lived" by OneRepublic. I was going to do this song since a while ago. And then Glee did it. Again.]

Jeremy (with Stefan): Hope when you take that jump, you don't fear the fall. (Hope when the water rises, you built a wall.) Hope when the crowd screams out, they're screaming your name. (Hope when the moment comes, you'll say...)

A few of their audience began to clap. Ade, who had just sat down with Bree after their performance, wiped a tear from the corner of her eye as Jeremy stomped his feet and raised the energy in the room with Stefan.

Both: I, I did it allI, I did it all. I owned every second that this world could give. I saw so many places, the things that I did. With every broken bone, I swear I lived.  

Bree pressed her lips together as she reconsidered what she'd started to plan out during her own song. It had only been a couple of seconds but she was already thinking of keeping her mouth shut. He was a terrible dancer.

Both: Hope that you spend your days, but they all add up. And when that sun goes down, hope you raise your cup. Oh, I wish that I could witness all your joy and all your pain. But until my moment comes, I'll say... 

Stefan jumped up and down, encouraging Jeremy to have as much fun as he was having. After a while of faking it, Jeremy felt that Stefan's energy was contagious. He was having a hard time not falling into it, so much that by the final minute of the song, he was already up and down on his toes.

Both: I, I did it allI, I did it all. I owned every second that this world could give. I saw so many places, the things that I did. With every broken bone, I swear I lived. Oh. Oh. Oh. Oh. 

Brianna smiled. Though she was in Stewart's graduating class, Jeremy had been much closer to him. She knew he'd been trying to keep his spirits up for his loved ones, but he hadn't seemed this genuinely happy in ages. It was the greatest graduation he could see her off with.

Both (Jeremy): With every broken bone, (I swear I lived) With every broken bone, (I swear I...)  I, I did it allI, I did it allI owned every second that this world could giveI saw so many places, the things that I didWith every broken bone, I swear I lived.Oh. Oh. Oh. Oh.I swear I lived. Ohhh. I swear I lived. Ohhh.

***

"So..." Julie smiled. "You're graduating... Are you excited?"

Brianna shrugged. "I guess so. I'm going to Mount Holyoke in the fall so I'm more excited for that."

Julie laughed. "I'm glad! Sounds like a lot of fun. I loved college. It was sad leaving my friends but... We all ended up back together anyway so... There's hope."

"I'm not worried about that," Brianna smiled. "Jeremy and I have talked and decided to stay together even after I leave. He wants to go to Dartmouth and if he keeps his grades up he might just get in. Then we can be close to each other."

"That's..." Julie forced herself to seem eager. "Wonderful... I really, truly hope your plans work out." Brianna nodded and Julie did her best to change the subject to song options. All she could think of was how to tell a young girl in love that life would never be that easy.

***

["Summertime Sadness" by Lana Del Rey. I would've loved this as a PezBerry duet. I can just hear their voices in some of the lines.]

Both: Kiss me hard before you go. Summertime sadness. I just wanted you to know. That, baby, you're the best.  

Their backs turned to their audience, Julie and Brianna struck similar poses and Julie turned around, her new, bright auburn hair burning bright. Sam's heart skipped a beat when she sang. He wasn't sure what it was, but something seemed very different about her, making her both sadder and more beautiful. How was that even possible?

Julie: I got my red dress on tonight. Dancing in the dark in the pale moonlight. Done my hair up real big beauty queen style. High heels off, I'm feeling alive. 

As soon as Brianna turned around, the two started to do a small ballet routine. Julie didn't want to do anything too complicated and Brianna was exhausted from the long school day, so they were happy with just doing something calming and soothing.

Brianna (with Julie): Oh, my God, I feel it in the air. Telephone wires above are sizzling like a snare. (Honey, I'm on fire, I feel it everywhere. Nothing scares me anymore) 1, 2, 3, 4.

Jeremy smiled, his heart still beating hard from the performance he'd just given. Now, it would beat for his beautiful, kind girlfriend, who looked even more stunning than usual every time she danced. 

Both: Kiss me hard before you go. Summertime sadness. I just wanted you to know. That, baby, you're the best.  I got that summertime, summertime sadness. S-s-summertime, summertime sadness. Got that summertime, summertime sadness. Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.

For Brianna, this song was like an ode to the end of the year and the beginning of summer, which would be her time to shine under the bright sun and spend time with her friends and family before going onto college. 

Both (Brianna): Think I'll miss you forever. Like the stars miss the sun in the morning sky. Later's better than never Even if you're gone I'm gonna drive (drive, drive) 

For Julie, however, it was a goodbye. She didn't know to who just yet, but what she did know was that she couldn't stay in Lima as was the plan. She had to see Sebastian and let him know she'd changed her mind about the tour.  

Both: I got that summertime, summertime sadness. S-s-summertime, summertime sadness. Got that summertime, summertime sadness. Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.

The song ended and everyone clapped, though some of them didn't seem to appreciate the slow pace. However, Finn was very impressed as he turned to the others and asked, "So... Who's next?"

As everyone looked around, wondering who would volunteer to perform next, Sam watched Julie take her seat on the other side of the row he was in and held his breath. He didn't know whether to be angry at her for acting like he didn't exist when they were with their friends, or at himself for making the choices that had led them to this point. Then again, it was she who had told him she'd loved someone else more than she'd loved him. Maybe it was about time he started thinking he deserved better.

***

"I don't know about that song," Sam admitted as he sat in Finn's office with Jackson. "It's a cool song but... It doesn't seem appropriate."

"No offense, but I'm just tired of singing about death and sadness," Jackson told him.

Sam made a face and asked, "So you'd rather sing about anger?"

"That's what comes next, right?" Jackson asked.

Sam shook his head. "I think it's backwards... But why are you angry? You didn't like Stewart?"

"Stewart was cool," Jackson shrugged. "We weren't super close but he was the only one nobody had beef with."

"And who do you have beef with?" Sam asked curiously.

Jackson sighed. "Myself... My ex girlfriend... Everyone else in glee club at this point. I don't even know."

"Your ex..." Sam racked his brain for answers. "Oh, the one who models for Bree's teen line."

"The very one," Jackson nodded. "I broke up with her ages ago, it seems, but... I don't know. Everyone's been talking about living to the fullest and I don't think I have. I'm leaving in the fall and I never made it right with her. But now I don't want to. She became someone else when she started modeling and now I hear she's dating someone else. A stupid football player. The quarterback of all guys! I sometimes think I hate her."

"I was a stupid football player," Sam informed him sheepishly. "But wait... Isn't one of the glee guys the quarterback?"

"Jared," he answered. "He's been after her since we started dating in the fall and I think they're dating now."

Sam shrugged. "I don't know what to tell you. I don't really keep up with glee club gossip."

"Well, I want to do this song," Jackson insisted. "It's either this or get my anger out through yelling or punching. I think I'd prefer to sing about it."

Sam hesitated before saying, "You know what? Normally, I'd say, 'Yes! Let's do a song!' But if I've learned anything it's that putting someone on the spot like that in front of everyone with a very honest song... When it comes to things like this it might only make everything worse. So how about instead, you write her a nice letter?"

Jackson looked at him in confusion. Sam wasn't sure that it would all work and he had never taken his own advice. But maybe if this teenager could do it well, it would give him hopes that he, too, could solve his issues without resorting to angry songs and public performances.

***

A few more of the duos sang next. Harmony and Kayli's voices blended perfectly in a dance pop song while Leila and Autumn gave a splendid, heartfelt ballad. Jake and Clint sang a surprisingly good acoustic love song, followed by Sugar and Riley doing a silly number to lift up the mood. After Helen and Santana did a fun R&B song and Albany sang a country tune with Debbie, Kitty finally had no choice but to get up and lead drew up.

"What song did you two decide on?" Finn asked Kitty curiously. Kitty turned to Drew hesitantly, remembering what their meeting had been like. 

***

"So..." Kitty was as enthusiastic as possible as she and Drew sat down in an empty hallway. "How are you?" Drew looked up at her, a cold look in her eyes. Not noticing, Kitty said, "We can probably find a very good song to complement our voices. What genre are you into?"

"I don't want to sing..." Drew muttered.

Kitty creased her brow. "You don't? But everyone else is going to sing, too. Back to back to back to back to—"

"I said I don't want to!" Drew exclaimed, getting up.

"Where are you going?" Kitty followed after her.

"As far away from you as I can go," Drew scowled.

Kitty grabbed her arm and stopped her. "Listen, you dumb little girl. I won't be treated that way for no reason. If you have a problem with me, get out with it."

"My parents voted for you," Drew responded angrily. "We entrusted you with our town. And you've done nothing to help the obvious issues we're facing. Did you know that the fourth congressional district has had more DUI accidents in the last five years than it did in the entire last decade? You should've been working to solve this issue but you didn't and now Stewart is dead."

Kitty's stomach sank. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Was this seventeen year old girl really blaming her for the death of her friend?

"Ok..." Kitty tried to be as calm as possible. "I understand you are hurting. But I can help you be happy. You're the one who wants to work in film, right? Well, luckily, two of my high school boyfriends are currently wrapping up a movie together. A feature film. I can get you a job working on their next one, as I'm sure there will be a next one. And then you can be living out your dream with—"

"You really don't get it," Drew shook her head. "I didn't get a bad haircut or break up with my boyfriend. My friend died. My friend who I could talk about my problems at home or how annoying the other cheerleaders are or how much I wish for another season of Doctor Who. My best friend. I was robbed of him, of his company, of his voice. Of seeing his future unravel. My dream job wouldn't change that. Not even close."

Drew walked away and sulked around campus on her own, leaving Kitty alone to think of actual solutions to her duet partner's serious issue.

***

"Well?" Finn asked when neither Kitty or Drew spoke up.

"We're not singing," Drew crossed her arms defiantly. "I don't want to."

Finn pursed his lips, confused and a bit frustrated. When he was about to tell her something, Kitty stepped in and said, "That's right! Neither of us wants to. It's why we waited until the end. You see, the thing is that... We don't think singing a song is enough. Yes, it does help, but..." She turned to Drew, who was looking up at her curiously. "But it's just not enough. What happened to Stewart was a tragedy but it was no accident. Accidents happen but incidents can be avoided. That's what it was. An incident. Drunk driving kills so many people and it's not just the ones drinking in danger. Four people died that night and more could've been hurt. That is why... I've decided to propose and do everything in my power to pass a new bill for the town which raises the fine and the time to pay for DUI's. I also want anyone with a history of substance abuse to have their license revoked until they can prove sobriety for five months."

"That's a surprisingly good idea," Santana admitted.

"But would it work?" Albany asked dubiously.

"I think it's worth a shot," Riley supported her future mother. 

Kitty nodded and turned to Drew. "What do you think?" she asked.

Drew didn't want to say what she thought because she still couldn't get her thoughts together. She just sighed and looked away, ready to be dismissed so that she could go home, close her eyes, and take a break from everything.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

27.6K 1K 21
*4 book series* 4th book "Come and find me." ©riss1020
Jailbird بواسطة Jay-Jay

قصص الهواة

25 1 1
Book 4!!! :)
1.7K 48 50
Part 2 of Have A Little Faith...