The Curse Of The Alpha

By Midika

"So you're a virgin, then." He says it so blatantly it rattles me to the core. "No! I mean, would it matter i... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
39
40
41
42

38

2.8K 90 5
By Midika

Word Count: 2034

~Meara

I rest my hands on Sire's shoulders, trying to ground him.

Today is what all of this has been about. Although it doesn't feel like it for him, it's been centuries since Sire has been in power, and no one here knows of what he is capable of.

It's why Sire didn't sleep last night, spending most of it pacing back and forth down the hallway.

We both know words aren't going to be enough to convince the people that he can be trusted. They have no idea who he is, and he killed their Alpha. They will learn, though, that there hasn't been such a powerful Alpha since him, and there will never be another one again.

Sire looks up the stairs of the raised stage, hearing the murmurings of those who await news on their Alpha. We are in the busiest part of the Pack, and everyone has been alerted that an important announcement awaits them.

"Don't be nervous," I soothe. Despite my urging for his calm, my own tone is tight and strained.

I have faith in him, but I'm also nervous. What if the people expect? What if they do, and he isn't the Alpha I hope he will be? What if Alpha Carran is right, that we should be scared of his power? Sire shakes his head. "I don't get nervous."

If he's going to make such a claim, he should probably do a better job at hiding his nerves. He's looking about erratically and shifting from foot to foot.

I jab a finger at his chest. "I see straight through you, Alpha."

"I can't believe I'm finally getting that title back," he breathes, shaking a hand through his hair.

He looks like I always imagined an Alpha to look like. He's confident, striking and dangerous. It's obvious upon looking at him that no one will actually believe he belongs here as anyone else other than this Pack's leader.

"You deserve it," I assure him. "Your speech is going to go great, and everyone is going to love you."

They will fear him at first, naturally, and may be angry about him killing their previous Alpha, but if he acts how I'm hoping he will, they will warm to him quick enough.

He starts off up the stairs but quickly pauses, looking back down at me.

"Do you think many of the people read those books you and Hazel had published?"

I nod. Over the past week Hazel and I have been working to get out as much information to correct the records. We've used old books from his era that have been passed down Hazel's family that seem mostly unbiased. Those old witches never used to belong to a Pack, but would live on the outskirts, taking no side.

I haven't entirely healed from Carran's attack on me, but I'm good enough to walk around, albeit stiffly.

"We think so, but it's hard to estimate a true number," I tell him, rubbing the back of my neck. "Don't think about it. Just go on stage and assure them that you're going to be the Alpha they deserve."

"You should be coming on with me. You're going to be Luna," he reminds me gently.

My throat immediately dries at the thought. Being presented in front of all those people when I have no idea what a Luna should be is terrifying. I don't feel capable of leading these people. I barely feel capable of being with Sire.

"I can't...not right now," I stutter. People need to concentrate on Sire right now, because he's going to be the most difficult pill to swallow.

"I understand." He pauses again. "I'm worried about you."

"Stop stalling! This is what you were born to do, remember?" I scold, pointing up the stairs and toward the stage he should be on right now.

He draws in a deep breath, steeling himself.

"Alright. I will see you after."

He gives me one last look, and I give him one last smile before he makes his way onto the stage. I follow quickly, stopping at the top so I can see him take the place centre stage.

Everyone immediately falls quiet. I know some people will notice his face from the drawings that have been distributed from the books, but most will be confused, having expected Carran to be addressing them today.

"Hello all, my name is Sire. I understand this may be a confusing time. Alpha Carran has unfortunately passed, and I am here to take his place."

Gasps float around the town square. Some looked panicked, others looked amused, but most of all, it's clear that they are confused about what is going on.

A dead Alpha means a lot of different things. It makes a Pack vulnerable to others, even if they are small and distant. It also means someone has to step into place, and people hate change.

Especially when their new Alpha is centuries old and has a disturbing amount of power.

"Some of you may think you recognise me, and you would be right," Sire exclaims, his voice travelling easily through the space, like he was born to command. "A very long time ago I was cursed. My Pack was destroyed, with those surviving forced to join this one. Now, I am here to reclaim my position of power."

More gasps. Even from a distance, I can see every individual face, and how they all display conflicting emotions. It's hard to gauge, but there are people who seem hopeful, but there are even more who seem scared.

Who wouldn't be? I'm scared...

"Everyday from now will be me doing everything I can to prove to you that I am going to be everything you expect from your Alpha. I will protect you, I will represent you and I will never allow any harm to befall you," he announces.

I smile a little to myself. Only time will tell if Sire will be true to his word. Even as his mate, I am not yet sure he can be entirely trusted, but this new bond has proven to me that I feel no negative emotions from him. I feel the control he has over his power.

"Where is Carran?" Someone shouts from the crowd.

Sire pauses for a beat. "I killed him."

Turmoil suddenly breaks out amongst the crowd. People gasp and yell, demanding answers. I swallow, stepping back a little. Sire absorbs their confusion, not moving a single step.

"I killed him for his ancestors' sins against me," Sire exclaims unflinchingly. "And I killed him after his failure to end the curse that has taken many of your loved ones' lives. No such thing will happen again."

The people quiet down. Sire knows these people have been targeted by the curse, and that Carran did nothing to resolve it. He only wanted to go through with the ceremony between us to spite Sire, not to save his own people.

They all know Carran wasn't capable of being a good Alpha. It's why they haven't stormed onto the stage by now.

"You're an imposter! Alpha Sire isn't real!" Someone calls out. They are close to the stage, glaring up at my mate.

How anyone could doubt who he is makes no sense to me. His markings are on display and show the extent of his power. Aside from that, everything about him suggests he's an Alpha.

"I understand it is difficult to believe, although I assure you that I will now rule here," Sire tells everyone calmly, hardly paying the heckler any mind. "I encourage anyone to challenge my rule, although I wouldn't recommend it."

The man standing near the stage continues to yell. "Prove it."

Sire sighs, rolling his shoulders. "Alright. If you insist."

I hold my breath, my heart pounding against my ribs as I watch Sire's hands glide into his pockets. I don't often see him use his magic, so each time he does it alights something deep inside me.

Without moving an inch, I see Sire focus on the foundation in the town centre, clearly choosing something that can't bring any harm to anyone in the densely populated area.

I watch in amazement as the water in the foundation starts to shift in waves, before lifting upwards. Despite being out of its confines, the water stays together in one mass.

Everyone turns to look at it with both awe and horror.

Sire steps back, and the water falls, splashing over everyone around it's vicinity. They scream, but they are completely unharmed.

It's only a small portion of Sire's power in action, but it's enough to show these people he isn't like anyone else. He isn't like Carran.

"Nature answers to me. And now that I have found my mate, I am stronger than ever."

People fall silent, finally ready to listen.

Sire turns to look directly at me, pulling everyone's attention with him.

He holds his hand out. "Come, Meara. Join me."

I freeze, my eyes widening. He wants to present a united front, which I understand. Still, it takes everything in me to force one foot in front of the other until I'm standing next to him.

Everyone's stares burn hot against my skin as they assess why I'm worthy enough to stand next to the new Alpha.

"I understand you all have not had a Luna for many years." Sire grabs his hand, winding his fingers through mine. "This is Meara. I expect you all to treat her with the respect she deserves, and she will serve you well."

Soft murmurs roll through the crowd. There will be whispers for a long time, wondering why I'm good enough to be Luna. I don't feel like I am right now, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try.

"What will you do for us that Carran didn't?" Someone distantly asks.

"In the coming days I will be holding a meeting with a few selected representatives. Please get your suggestions and queries to them as soon as possible so I can ensure I am covering my bases," Sire explains, motioning to the four individuals that linger around stage right.

I have no idea who they are, but they are obviously important to ensuring this all goes smoothly.

"How can we trust you?" Another person asks.

"It will be hard, but in time you will see that I am what this Pack needs," Sire assures them, ignoring some of the remaining sceptical looks. "I have ruled before, so I know what it takes."

"But you lost the war."

Sire's jaw tightens. Him and I haven't spoken in much detail about the war. Every time I bring it up, he seems uncomfortable, like the memory haunts him. To him, he was only betrayed a few months ago, whereas for everyone else, it's ancient history.

"I was tricked, taken advantage of. The man who cursed me used unfair methods against me that I couldn't have retaliated against," he explains.

He opens his mouth to respond, but something stops him.

All the colour drains from his face as he focuses on someone pushing through the crowd. People seem to naturally separate from him, like something unseen radiates around him.

"Well, that isn't the history I remember," the strange man calls out, his voice booming through the town square.

I frown. He looks familiar, like I've seen him in a picture somewhere...He has pale blond, almost white hair, and has prominent markings weaving around his neck and down his arms.

I glance at Sire. Who is this man?

"Kyro..." Sire whispers.

My eyes widen. Kyro...as in the man he once betrayed him? The man who was once his best friend, who then waged a war against him?

My mouth dries. He's back.

💚••💚

Want more?? This story is available 10 chapters ahead on Goodnovel! (:

Thanks for reading (:

Check out The Alpha's Prize on Wattpad now!!

"...I've never had an orgasm before!" I blurt out, backing away a few steps.

He sits up, dark hair ruffled and messy from the fingers I ran through it. His eyes, once wide, slowly darken.

"You what?" He breathes.

~Midika 💜🐼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57 5 8
I had never fit in anywhere. If you had white hair and freakishly bright silver eyes, that people swear swirls sometimes, that'd be a pretty difficul...
534K 20.2K 46
"You...You what?" Kastriv examines my husband with an unforgiving, ice cold gaze. "I want to fuck your wife. And you're going to let me." *** Aspen h...
105K 3.7K 52
"I hate you" "Fucking too bad I'm your mate" I glared at him sitting in this damn steel box, I don't wanna get stuck in this freaking elevator with...
355K 15.9K 49
Kylie survived the brutal destruction of her pack only to discover her cold alpha mate was the one responsible for the brutal slaughter of her family...