Love- As Real As the Moon

By Rainaauthor

Hayley Campbell is a woman with lessons from her past. Whenever a guy comes into her life, her past comes wit... More

LOVE - AS REAL AS THE MOON
DEDICATION
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
58
59
Epilogue
BONUS<3

57

397 20 0
By Rainaauthor

Hayley

Yesterday. Was. Unreal. Everything was perfect yesterday. But that's the thing - it's always perfect with Nick. Actually it's perfect because of Nick. Between us, it's always been Nick who's been doing everything, making everything perfect. So tonight, it's my turn. I'm going to make it as perfect as he is and I am going to make him feel the way he deserves.
I keep checking the items in my list as I walk around my house which is decorated with lights and candles. He likes everything simple and subtle but he's romantic. So everything is just like he likes with a touch of me in it- the lights are not very bright, dim. The candles are coffee scented, and my man loves white hydrangeas. So, they gotta be there for sure. After checking everything I go to my kitchen and taste everything for the hundredth time- I cooked Mexican food for him. All his favourite dishes made by ME! My touch is the dessert - cupcakes (of course) and strawberries dipped in chocolate. I check the 'Get wine' item in my list- iced tea for me. Also, there's my room- covered with dim moon lightings, roses and white hydrangeas. I'm wearing the white dress he loves with my hair loose but neatly set with my moon clip. The room gets special attention and love because tonight is THE NIGHT. The night of my confession. The night I'm going to tell him that I love him. I think a part of me has loved him since the day I saw him at the party but now, it's not just a part. All of me loves him, is in love with him. Whole and soul. I know he knows, but tonight I'm going to say it out loud. And..... I am also going to tell my parents about him. I don't want my parents knowing about us to be very sudden or come as a shock. Because...... they are still not over my past relationship. They get so overprotective and panicked when I do something as mere as talk to a guy. I know why they act like this, because they love me - their little hailstorm. That's why I'm going to explain it to them slowly and make sure they're fine too. And for this I need Nick. I might even have him talk to them so that they know that this man is perfect- more than perfect for their baby. I can already hear the tornado of questions they are going to ask so I have to be very careful with them. I take a deep breath. This is THE most important night of my life. My fingers are crossed, praying nothing goes wrong.

~

I think my heart is going to pop out of my chest. It beats faster with every step I take towards the door as the doorbell rings. This is it. This is happening. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. My shivering hands reach for the doorknob and turn it. I slowly open the door an-
"HIIII HAYBUG" "HOW ARE YOU HAILSTORM?"
My parents shout as they both pounce on me, squeezing me like a pillow.
What. The. Hell.

"Mom? Dad? What are you doing here?" I try to break the hug but they don't let me.

" We're here to see you Hay. Surprise!" My dad squeezes harder but my mom slowly breaks the hug. She looks around my house and cocks her brow, " I guess our timing is bad. Is it Hayley?"
I swallow hard. "No mom! It's uh.... perfect. I'm just in a huge shock right now." I let out an awkward smile.

"Well then what is all this Hay?" My dad asks sweetly.

"It's..... it's ..... I just felt like pampering myself today, dad. Kind of like a date with myself. Self love is becoming very popular these days so I just .... uh thought of giving it a try." I shrug my shoulders while praying that they believe it. My parents stay silent for a few seconds but then their mouths curve into smiles.

"It's great to see you finally doing things for yourself, hailstorm. And you look beautiful." My mother says as she gently strokes my hair.

I smile and invite them inside. It's a good thing my room is closed. But the bad thing is that Nick can be here at any moment now. Oh god. What am I going to do? What will I tell my parents? What will I tell Nick? How am I going to handle this? Ohgodohgodohgod.

"Come on in mum , dad." I switch on the lights as they sit on the couch.

"So, how did this happen?" I mask my anxiety with a smile.

"We were headed to Boston for the preparations of Angelina's wedding. So we thought of visiting you first. It's been so long since we have seen you Hay."

" I know mom. I missed you both so much. And I'm so glad you're here." I say softly.

"We missed you too Hay. But we have to leave in two hours."

"Two hours?That's not fair dad." I walk to my father and hug him.

"I know Haybug. But we need to be there for the wedding." He says as he strokes my hair.

I sigh and say, "Okay. You both freshen up. I'll set the plates."

They both smile at me, hug me again and my dad goes to the washroom- luckily the one outside my room while my mom comes to kitchen with me to help me. I'm about to reach for the tacks when the doorbell rings. Shit. Damnit!

"I'll get that." My mom says starting to walk to the door.

My eyes widen and I rush to my mom and stand right in front of the door to lock it.

"Um I'll see this mom. You um..... why don't you taste everything and let me know if the dishes are fine?" I say quickly.

My mom scrunches her brows and nods. As she walk to the kitchen, I gather the courage to open the door.

"Hey Moon." Nick smiles at me with a huge bouquet of roses in his hands. I go out and close the door a little so that no one can see us.

"Hey." I catch my breath. He places the bouquet on the floor and places his hands on my shoulder.
"Is something wrong baby?" He asks with a concern in his voice that melts my heart. All I want to do is hug him so hard we can't breathe.

"Nick. Actually..... there's a little problem. Actually......my paren-"

"What's taking so long Hayley?" My eyes
widen at my mom's voice. Before I can think of anything, my mom opens the door and steps out. Nick and my mom blink at each other in confusion. Oh god. What should I do? I can't tell my mom like this. She deserves a rightful explanation.

"Uh..... Nick, this is my mom. And mom, this is Nick."

Nick's eyes widen for a second. "Hi mam. I'm Nicholas Parker." He says as he holds out his hand to my mom. She examines his hand as if it's an alien's hand but she shakes it and says, "I'm Hayley's mother. Sarah."

We three stand in an awkward silence till my mom breaks it. "So who's he? And what is he doing here hay?"

"Um mom actually he's my-my........boss! He's my boss."

My mom raises her brows expecting me to talk more. "Actually I accidentally brought an important file home which he needed urgently. And I had this date with myself thing so he came over to pick it up. Right Nicholas?" I look over at him hoping he plays along.

"Yes mam." He says dryly.

My mom goes into thinking for a few moments then says, "Nice boss you have, Hay. I'm going to go inside. You both can carry on. Nice to meet you, Nicholas."
Nick gives her a small nod and then she walk into my house. I let out a sigh of relief and look at Nick.

"Thank you Ni-"

"Boss?" Nick interrupts me with ice in his voice.

"Nick, I can explain. I just didn't want my parents to k-"

"To know about us?" He asks with hurt in his tone. I shake my head and open my mouth to explain but he doesn't let me. "I don't know what is the reason, Hayley. But you very well know that I'm way more than just your boss."

Panic hits me when I see anger and hurt in his eyes. "Nick. Please. I can explain."

"Explain what? That you don't want your parents to know about me? About us? Is there an us for you?"

A lump the size of the sun forms in my throat. "Nick. Please. I'll explain everything. I just need sometime."

"Of course, Hayley. Afterall a nice boss gives time to their employees right?" He scoffs.

"Nick please don't say that. I promise you it's not what you think it is." I try to hold his hand but he steps back.

"I'm leaving. Tell your mom it was nice to meet her too." He says and turns to walk away. "Nick!" I try to stop him but he doesn't. He keeps walking, disappearing into the elevator. Shitshit. SHIT! I messed up. Again! On the night that was supposed to be perfect. Tears start to form in my eyes but I blink them away. I take a few deep breaths and blink them away. I tell myself to handle this one thing at a time and go into my apartment to find my parents talking with their expressions serious. They turn around at the sound of the door closing. Their serious expression changes to a concerned one. This is exactly what I was afraid of.

"Let's have dinner?" I ask trying to sound cheerful when my heart is aching for Nick. They both nod and we sit down to start eating.

"So your boss........" My father starts.

"What about him?" I ask as I stuff food into my mouth.

"Hayley. He sure doesn't seem like he's just your boss. You know you can share anything with us right?" My mom places her hand on mine and squeezes it.

I sigh and close my eyes for a moment, thinking of how I should do this. I slowly open my eyes and start, "Okay. Mom. Dad. I want you to hear this calmly okay? Don't panic. Don't ask questions. Just let me complete please?"
They both nod. "Okay so. Nick is my boss. But you're right, he is not just my boss. He's............I- " I swallow.
"HesmyboyfriendandIaminlovewithhim"

My parents gasp and their eyes widen while my eyes squeeze shut. I fidget with my hands till my dad speaks.

"Hey. Haybug, talk to us. We're listening okay?" He says sweetly with concern in his voice.
I nod and open my eyes to continue.
"I know you both are worried for me after what happened with Dave. And I respect that. I really do and I'm so freaking lucky to have parents like you who love me so much. That's why I wanted to break this to you differently bu- ......." I sigh and continue. "I love him."
None of us talk for a minute.

My mom breaks the silence, "Hayley, that is amazing sweetheart. You're in love!" She gives me a little smile and continues.
"And we love you too Hay but are you sure about hi-"

"Sure? Mom, I've never been so sure of anything in my life! Nick is the only man after dad who has treated me right. He made me believe in love again ma." My voice starts to break but I continue.
"Mom, remember when you asked me to find a voice that will quiet all the other voices? It was his voice. Nick is it for me. And now that I have him, I can't imagine living a day without him."

"Oh sweetheart. You really are in love." My mother runs her hand over my hair. I give her a small smile and nod. "I am. Nick is not just the love of my life, mom. He is my life."

A tear rolls out of my dad's eye but he quickly wipes it away. I stand up and wrap my arms around him tightly. "Dad? Are you mad at me?" I ask as my voice breaks again.

"No sweetheart, I'm not mad at you. I'm just...... it's just that my little Haybug is in love. I guess she's not so little anymore. Now-" He gently kisses my fingers. "- she is a strong woman who I am sure is very capable of finding the right man for herself."

"I'll always be your little bug dad. I love you." I say and kiss him on the cheek.
My mother doesn't say a word all this time so I ask her, "Mom? Are you mad?"

"No,Hayley. Not at all. I'm happy for you Hay. But.....but your previous relationship left a huge scar on you and I don't want you to go through that again." My mom says softly. I walk over to her and take her hand in mine.

"Mom, . I understand your concern but I am sure about this-him. Falling in love with Nick is the best decision of my life."

"Sarah, look at her. Her eyes shine everytime she talks about this guy. I have never seen her this happy. I think it's time to let the past go and trust our daughter." My dad says backing me up.

See? Best dad in the world. My mom goes into deep thinking for a moment and then looks over at my father who gives her a reassuring nod. She turns towards me and smiles. "I trust you Hay. All I want is for you to be happy and if you're happiness is with him, then I'm with you." She says standing up. I hug her and say,

"Thanks mom! I love you."

"Love you always, Hailstorm." She pats my back, slowly breaks the hug and gently strokes my cheek.

"You need to be careful. Not just with your heart but with his too. I could see you breaking it when you didn't run after him."

She saw that? "I know, mum. And I'm going to make that right too." I give her a small smile.

"Better do it now then." My dad joins our hug.

"Now? Like now now? But you bot-"

"Now now Haybug. Gogogo!" My dad squeezes us for a minute then releases us.

I'm coming, Nick.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.4K 763 14
"What don't you get Amelia? No one can compete with you. You're my dream come true." The school's grumpiest honors student has always hated the entir...
15.8K 1K 20
Abhimanyu Agnivanshi Rathore, Business Tycoon & the king of Udaipur. Hates everyone except his work. Family, friends all betrayed him. "I live in a...
22.3K 1.1K 9
It's a story of two different personalities having their own pasts. What will happen when they cross each other? This is the story of Abhiyansh Raghu...
3.7M 90.2K 57
Kat has made up her mind. Her v-card has to go. But who should be the one to take it? With an overbearing brother, she has to find a moment when he's...