never a god | treech

By seungielovebot

- ๐ญ๐›๐จ๐ฌ๐š๐ฌ - "Why are you here? Isn't it a little past your curfew?" Treech spat, avoiding Vera's gaze. V... More

00 | Characters
- ACT I -
01 | The Final Assignment
02 | Welcome to the Capitol
03 | At the Zoo
04 | Dr. Gaul
05 | District 7
06 | Arachne
07 | The Arena
08 | Hospital Visits
09 | The Ring Twins
10 | Fights
12 | The Beauty of War
13 | The Last Time
- ACT II -
14 | ... Ready For It?
15 | When the Bell Rings
16 | Run Treech
17 | Coriolanus Snow
18 | Losing Dogs
19 | The Handkerchief
20 | Rainbow of Destruction
21 | Day Five
22 | Final Three
23 | Can't Catch Me Now
EPILOGUE.
24 | The Fall of the Lumberjack - Alternate End
new treech fic !!

11 | Lights Camera Action

1.9K 103 96
By seungielovebot

Vera had a few more days after her meeting with Treech and the other mentors to prepare for the interview and Dr. Gaul's assignment.

As she expected, the Capitol refused her request to let Treech borrow an axe for the interviews, but the intrigued look on their faces when she described his skills made it much more plausible that they'd put an axe for him in the arena. 

But for now, Treech would just have to settle with his ability to describe his skills and his charms. 

Thankfully, Vera was able to have one more meeting with Treech before his interview, outside of her daily visits which were reserved for eating and small talk. This time, each tribute and mentor was given an empty classroom with two Peacekeepers per group.

But the thing that shocked Vera the most was the lack of chains on Treech. 

As she walked into the room and noticed Treech's free hands and ankles, she let out a smile. Treech let out a small chuckle as he tipped his hat.

"You know, this is the first time we've been allowed near each other without some sort of barrier," said Treech as he walked to meet Vera in the middle.

"Now hold on now, don't forget the train station," Vera replied, holding up a finger as she described their very first meeting.

"Oh, you mean when you snuck into the train station without your school's permission? I don't know if I count that, Darling. It's not like they planned to have me unchained around you," Treech teased as he furrowed his brows.

"Hey I wasn't the only one," Vera shot back.

"Oh yes, your blonde friend came too," said Treech, his smile slightly dropping.

"You don't like him very much I take it?" Vera asked with a questioning glance. 

"Am I meant to?" 

"I guess not," said Vera, but her curiosity remained, "But why don't you?"

Treech glanced around the room with a sigh.

"It's just a feeling, I guess," mumbled Treech, "Everything he does just feels like a performance."

And for a moment, she considered Treech's words. Was everything Coryo did a performance?  Is that really a bad thing?

"But aren't we all performers?" Vera asked, furrowing her brows. Treech took a moment to think before answering.

"To an extent maybe. But, we all have people the performance doesn't work on."

"Oh yeah? And whose that for you?"

"You," said Treech. And from the look in his eyes and the tone in his voice, Vera knew he was telling the truth. 

"Me?" asked Vera, shocked by his honesty.

"You made me trust you. There's no point hiding anything anymore," Treech answered nonchalantly. Vera was confused how he could say something so heart fluttering that easily. As if it was obvious.

"You flatter me, Treech," said Vera as she looked down to hide her blush. Treech only laughed.

"It's my natural charm," replied Treech with a smirk, causing Vera to roll her eys playfully.

"Speaking of charm, we need to work on making sure you're ready for your interview," Vera replied, gesturing toward a place to sit. With a grunt, Treech took a seat, watching intently as Vera opened her notes.

"Why are you groaning?" Vera asked with a displeased look. 

"We already went over this. I talk about my axe skills and my job back in Seven. And you talk all about my many charms," said Treech with a bored expression, but from the twitch in his lips, Vera could see that something else seemed to be bothering him.

"Okay, what's going on? You've been hot and cold these last few days," asked Vera, closing her notebook. Treech's nostrils flared as he stared at the floor.

"Nothing. It's stupid," replied Treech, unwilling to meet Vera's gaze.

"Treech. Please," Vera pleaded, grabbing onto his hand.

"It's just-" Treech began to say before taking a moment to think, "Everytime I'm with you, I forget where I am. What's going to happen. And then, there's a reminder and it's like my world collapses."

"Oh Treech," Vera whispered as she pulled him in for a hug, holding on tight as if it'll be the first and only time they're allowed to be like this.

"I'm so sorry," she mumbled as they clung onto one another. Part of Vera's heart hammered at his touch, soft but desperate.  But the other part broke as she remembered his words and the gmaes that were to come.

"I don't want to die," Treech whispered, hiding his face in her shoulder. Vera closed her eyes at his words, once again feeling her heart break.

"You won't, Treech. I won't let that happen," Vera insisted, pulling them apart and lifting his face to meet her eyes. The two stared at one another with tears in their eyes as they both thought about the next few days and how they could be Treech's last. Vera so desperately wished she could save him again, like she'd done in the arena. But the games would be different and all Vera could do is make sure Treech got sponsors.

"3 more minutes,"  instructed one of the Peacekeeprs, pulling the two apart. Vera nodded toward him as Treech cleared his throat.

"Let's make a deal," said Vera as she tried to pull herself together. Treech looked at her curiously.

"What kind of deal?"

"I can't stop the games, but I can be your distraction," Vera suggested, piquing Treech's interest, "When we're together, we don't have to talk about the games. We can pretend that we're just old friends."

Like it was another life.

"I'd like that," Treech mumbled with a sad smile, "Though I'm not sure we'd ever be friends."

"And why's that? You too good for me?" Vera asked with fake offence.

"More like you're too good for me," Treech replied with a laugh, "I mean think about it. You're smart and kind and have a lot of money. And I'm a lumberjack."

"Hey, you're not just a lumberjack," Vera replied, causing Treech to furrow his brows in confusion, "you're my favorite lumberjack."

"Of course. How could I forget," replied Treech as the two continued to laugh. And once again, the ice between them seemed to melt, replaced with the sunshine that Vera brought to Treech's life.

"Times up," said the Peacekeeper as one grabbed onto Vera and the other brought in chains. Instantly, Treech's smile faded, taking away the sun.

"Come on," said the man escorting her out, "You'll see him tonight anyways."

-

Vera spent the next few hours preparing herself for the interview, both mentally and physically. As she finally made her way into the Academy's auditorium, Vera felt the nerves hit her. She needed to get Treech sponsors. It was his best chance at survival. And she needed him to survive.

"You sure clean up nicely, Darling," Vera heard from the wings. 

Treech. Instantly, Vera's nerves seemed to vanish as she made her way over to him.

"Why thank you, Treech."

"What made you pick blue?" asked Treech as he referenced her dark blue dress. Vera let out a chuckle, face slightly burning. 

"It matches your scarf," Vera answered, pointing to the scarf he'd been wearing since he stepped foot off the train. With that, Treech broke into laughter.

"You really do think of everything. Don't you, Darling?" 

"Of course," Vera replied with a smile as she pulled out a handkerchief, her face hot.

"And what's that for?" Treech asked, pointing toward the handkerchief in Vera's hand. Vera only smiled, using the handkerchief to wipe off the dirt and sweat from Treech's face.

"There, now we can see your handsome face," Vera announced with a chuckle as she fixed his hair as well. Treech only chuckled, looking at the ground in embarrassment.

"Okay, remember. Talk about your axe skills and your job. And no jokes," Vera instructed as she straightened out his collar.

"Don't worry. I save all my best jokes for you," Treech teased with a cheeky grin. Vera rolled her eyes as she let out a laugh.

"I guess that makes me special then."

Before Treech could respond, the two heard Lucky Flickerman's voice introducing them. Vera took a deep breath before faking a smile and grabbing onto Treech's arm, walking them on stage.

"Ah, Ms. Whitestone it's a pleasure as always," Lucky greeted, nodding his head toward the younger girl.

"Lucky, nice to see you," Vera greeted as she looked out into the audience, "As many of you know, I am Vera Whitestone. And this is Treech. My tribute from District 7."

Vera watched as the crowd's eyes stayed focused on their interlocked arms with a smirk on her face. She may not have been able to take all the attention for Treech, but this'll surely get people talking.

"So, Treech. You're from District 7. You must be quite handy," Lucky replied as Treech faked a smile. 

"I'd like to think so. Been working since I was six. I know all about the different axes and what you need to do to slice right through something. Usually, I use a maul for chopping the wood, but I can really use anything. You see, the trick is to know where the soft spot is. Then the axe will even slice through something as thick as a skull," Treech informed the audience, who looked at him with both horror and intrigue. Vera watched in amusement as people began to send in sponsor money.

"So you're good with an axe then?"

"I'd say I'm pretty good. I'm quite the lumberjack back in Seven."

"Oh don't be modest. Treech told me all about his work at home. I have no doubt he'll do well in the arena," Vera interrupted, upping the flattery. 

"I take it you two are close?" Lucky asked the girl, who let out  a fake chuckle.

"Closer than most," Vera replied, drawing her eyes toward an intrigued Treech, "Treech here is quite the gentleman. He's always flattering me with his compliments and his stories about his family."

"It seems Vera thinks you're quite the charming young man," said Lucky, "Does that District charm work on all the ladies back home?"

At least hide your disgust a little bit, Vera thought as she listened to Lucky talk.

Treech tried his best not to laugh, hiding his chuckle with a smile. Vera, too, tried her best to hide her shock at the absurdity of the conversation.

"Not that I'm aware of," Treech replied, "It's just me and my family."

Vera tried her best not to burst into laughter as she listened to the women in the audience coo at Treech.

"I see," said Lucky with a head shake, "Well maybe if you do make it out alive, you'll have a line of ladies waiting. Maybe some will almost be as pretty as the girls in our Capitol, don't you think?"

Treech let out another chuckle before his eyes landed on Vera, staying locked on her as he spoke.

"Yes, the ladies of the Capitol are quite beautiful."

Vera's face flushed as she met his gaze. Where was he going with this? 

And then, out of embarrassment, she turned her attention toward the crowd and she understood. All the ladies in the audience blushed at his comments, flattered that a handsome boy from the districts thought they were beautiful. 

Damn, he was good.

"My, it seems you've won the hearts of the ladies in the room," Lucky joked, "Too bad that's all the time we have. Good luck to you."

After a final goodbye, the interview ended and Vera and Treech were escorted backstage.

"How'd I do?" Treech asked the girl as he let out a huff.

"I'm pretty sure you just made every girl in that audience fall in love with you with that flattery," Vera joked, grabbing some water to sip on before offering it to Treech. 

"Flattery? I didn't say anything that wasn't true," Treech replied as he took the bottle from her hand, "Well looks like I'm being rounded up. See you tomorrow, Darling."

And with that, Vera watched as Treech got escorted out, sending her his signature hat tip and wink before leaving her sight.

-

A/N:

Hi guys !! finally a chapter that's only Treech and Vera ??? I'm actually sooo in love with this chapter omg,,, Also we are getting sooo close to the games !!

As always, thank you guys for reading and giving me support !! it means so much to me to read through your comments and see what you have to say. It also gives me alot of ideas lol <3 

Have an amazing day and I'll see you all at the next update !!

Love you guys sm,

Hannah <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 169 8
- ๐ญ๐›๐จ๐ฌ๐š๐ฌ - "Be serious, Treech. There can only be one winner," Juniper exclaimed, throwing up her arms as she let the tears fall. Treech inched...
12.9K 391 25
~everything works out in the end~ Or does it?
34.7K 1.4K 37
โ๐–๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ ๐จ ๐ˆ ๐ ๐จ ๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ž ๐ˆ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ž hunger games โ”‚the ballad of songbirds and snakes In which a girl from the heart...