Wolf Warrior (The Mórrigan's...

By Gemini_mama

The Last Kingdom Fanfiction Continuing where Wolf-Heart left off, at Season 2, episode 5. Finan and Faoladhea... More

1 - Messengers
2 - On the Road
3 - Sisterhood
4 - Lunden Calling
5 - Dedication
6 - Reconnecting
8 - Calm Before the Storm
9 - Sacrifice for Duty
10 - Dream Made Reality
11 - Giants Will Fall
12 - Shoulders Too Slim
13 - Coccham's First Monk
14 - Bound to Repeat the Lesson
15 - Better Together
16 - Negotiation
17 - The Battle of Beamfleot
18 - An Indecent Celebration
19 - Tenderness
20 - Fate and Fever
21 - In Sickness and In Health
22 - Domestic Bliss
23 - Riverside Idylls
24 - Moment Interrupted
25 - Lament for the Weary
26 - The Great Mother
27 - The Space Between a Blink and a Tear
28 - But Home is Nowhere
29 - Shadow of Mourning
30 - Sing the Sorrow
31 - Crossing Over

7 - A Mother's Heart

125 5 1
By Gemini_mama

Word had come that the Mercian lord would be arriving in Coccham to convene with Uhtred, to share and finalize the plan for reclaiming Lunden from the Thurgilsons and their army. The same day the message arrived from Mercia, Hild pulled Faoladhean aside after Uhtred's announcement to the guard.

"Gisela told me of your plan to join the guard to Lunden, and that you would be in need of a wet nurse. There is a young woman at a nearby nunnery whose child was, sadly, stillborn. The abbess there told me that she is willing to fill the position, if you would have her."

A pang of grief stabbed at Faoladhean's heart, and she found herself unable to imagine how difficult a situation that would be for a mother. She nodded slowly. "I would like to meet with her first, if that is acceptable."

Hild gave her a small smile. "Of course, I will send for her immediately."

Faoladhean flashed Hild a small, grateful smile, about to ask her when the woman could be expected, but Uhtred called her name. "I have other questions though, I will find you in a bit," she said to Hild and patted her on the arm, then turned back toward Uhtred and where he was standing with Finan. "Yes, lord?" She walked back over to stand beside Finan.

"I want you on dock duty with Finan and Clapa the day they are to arrive."

Faoladhean frowned, but didn't question Uhtred. "I will have to find a replacement for my shift, Lord. I was meant to be on the gate that day with Hildræd."

"I will handle it, do not worry."

She nodded. "All right, thank you." Faoladhean watched Uhtred, trying to determine if there was something more that he wanted to say, an eyebrow arching of its own accord.

Uhtred seemed to have lost himself in thought for a moment, his blue eyes glazed over as he looked over the empty hall. Faoladhean glanced at Finan, who gave her a miniscule shrug, just as lost as she was.

"Lord?" Faoladhean asked quietly, growing uncomfortable with the silence, yet not having been dismissed.

Uhtred blinked as he looked back at Faoladhean and Finan. "I do not trust Æthelred or his ability to lead. And I do not know what Alfred's plan is by putting him in charge."

Faoladhean was quiet for a moment. "I suppose that Alfred has put Æthelred in command because Lunden is Mercian; that way, if something were to go terribly wrong, it would noe be on the shoulders of Wessex."

Finan nodded, and Uhtred looked over at him. "You agree?"

"I do," Finan said as he crossed his arms over his chest, "but I also think it is meant to be a slight against you, being banished and all."

Uhtred scoffed and rubbed his chin for a moment. "Most likely. Though I do not doubt that Alfred will have his own plan in mind of how both armies are to approach the siege. We will have to see when Æthelred arrives." Uhtred sighed, still pensive. "That is all for now."

Faoladhean and Finan both gave him a brief nod and turned to leave the hall. She smiled when Finan reached out to take her hand in his. "I have to find Hild, we have the matter of the wet nurse to discuss." Faoladhean looked over at Finan as they walked out the door. "Would ye like to accompany me?"

Finan smiled. "Actually, I was thinking about collecting Aodhán to take him home. Why don't ya talk to Hild, then meet us there?"

Smiling at Finan's use of "us," Faoladhean rocked onto her toes to press a quick kiss to his lips. "All right, love. I will noe be long."

Hild was sitting on a bench outside of her church with Cwenthryth, reading a verse from the book Faoladhean had heard so much about. She stood quietly, listening to the words Hild, who had not yet noticed her, recited.

"...take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand on the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints."

"Is that why ye no longer wish to fight with mail and iron, Hild? It must have been heavy to wear both earthly armor and divine." Faoladhean quipped, only a slight hint of teasing in her voice as she gave Hild a friendly smile.

Hild chuckled softly and closed the large tome on her lap. Cwenthryth looked up at Faoladhean, clearly still on edge in her presence, six months after Faoladhean had shouted at her during Aodhán's birth. "That is part of it, yes. I thought that fighting with Uhtred would bring me peace after what happened, and it did for a time, but that time has passed."

Faoladhean's smile softened. "I understand. Ye must do whatever brings your heart comfort."

Hild smiled and turned to Cwenthryth. "We are finished for the day, you may tend to your duties." Cwenthryth nodded and hurried inside the church, giving Hild and Faoladhean some privacy. "I assume you have questions about the wet nurse?"

"I do," Faoladhean nodded. "How long will it take for her to reach Coccham? My concern is, in the event I dinnae care for her, it would take too long to find another before we are to leave."

"If I send a messenger today, she could be here tomorrow evening."

Faoladhean nodded and looked down at the dirt in front of her. "Does she...is she aware that I am pagan? That I have marks?"

Hild sighed, her lips pressing into a thin line as she looked over her friend. "Sit beside me, please." She patted the bench beside her and Faoladhean did as directed, her gaze still on the ground. "She is not aware; the abbess did not ask for any specifics about you, only related the information about Wynthrith to me." A frown began to form on Hild's face, and she placed a hand on Faoladhean's arm. "What is it you are worried about?"

Sighing heavily, Faoladhean tipped her head back against the wall of the church. After a few moments of silence, she shook her head gently, her eyes now fixed on the cloud-dotted sky. "I dinnae ken, I...after the trip to Winchester, I started to notice more how people look at me, and it does noe always seem friendly. I guess I am just not used to the gawking and fear I see on people's faces around here."

Hild's expression turned to one of sympathy, but she remained quiet, allowing Faoladhean the space to continue talking if she wanted.

"Back home, the Albans were used to seeing us with the marks, even outside of Fib, and despite there noe being many of us left, we were just accepted. Even as far south as Northumbria, we were treated as more of a curiosity than something to be feared." Faoladhean swallowed thickly, her throat tight with emotion. "And...I dinnae ken why, it just seems to bother me more as of late."

"Do you regret the marks you have, particularly those on your face?" Hild asked gently.

"No, noe one bit. I just wish that people could see beyond them, ye ken? I have never seen a Dane or Norsewoman with face marks anywhere close to resembling mine, so I dinnae understand why they look at me as if I am...dangerous."

Hild nodded. "I understand. Are you concerned that Wynthrith will be uncomfortable being around you?"

Faoladhean sighed and crossed her arms over her chest, her gaze somewhere in the middle distance. "Aye, I am. Cwenthryth seems terrified of me, though I have tried to apologize to her for cursing her out." Hild chuckled softly, but let Faoladhean continue. "I worry that Win-Wynthrith?" Faoladhean glanced at Hild for confirmation, and continued when she nodded. "I worry that Wynthrith will fear me before she even makes my acquaintance, and will refuse the position based on what I am and what I look like - a pagan with facial marks from a dying tradition."

"Faoladhean, I do not think that will be an issue. Her story is not mine to tell, but you may find you have some common ground. And, if it would make you feel better, I will speak with Wynthrith when she arrives."

She looked at Hild, her gaze scanning the nun's earnest face before replying. "If ye think it would help, I would greatly appreciate it."

"Of course," Hild smiled. "I am happy to do what I can to help."

Faoladhean smiled softly. "You are a good woman, Hild, and a wonderful friend. I must admit, though, that I had hoped to have ye at my side in battle." She smirked at Hild, who chuckled softly, her gaze dropped to the book on her lap. "I do noe begrudge ye for giving it up for your own peace and happiness, though." Faoladhean leaned over to nudge Hild with her shoulder, a soft laugh coming from them both.

"Thank you, Faoladhean. I will do what I am able to ensure that, at least in Coccham, you will not be looked at so harshly. And with Wynthrith, I will have her report to me when she arrives in town. You are working tomorrow, yes?"

Faoladhean nodded. "I am, at the gate, actually. I will be there until suppertime."

Hild smirked. "You may see Wynthrith before I do, in that case. But do not worry, hm? Everything will work out, one way or other. I think it best if I speak with her in the hall, that way Gisela can meet with her as well, since she will be helping to look after Aodhán."

"That sounds like a brilliant plan, Hild." Faoladhean smiled as she stood. "I cannoe thank ye enough for your help, again."

Hild waved a dismissive hand, smiling. "It is no trouble. I will send word to the abbess shortly." She stood and carefully laid the large book on the bench, then pulled Faoladhean in for a quick embrace.

Pushing open the door to their home, Faoladhean was greeted by deep belly laughs from both her loves, and a smile split her face when they came into view. Finan was laying on the rug, holding Aodhán aloft, then lowered him down so his belly was over Finan's mouth, then he started making noises against the tiny tummy. Aodhán laughed harder than Faoladhean had ever heard before, and she stood quietly just inside the door, afraid to ruin the moment. When the boy laughed until he was breathless, Finan would raise him up again, laughing at the cooing and gurgles that Aodhán made as he caught his breath. Lowering the boy down once again, Aodhán tensed up, waiting for Finan to start making the noises, his laughing beginning before it happened; Finan lifted him back up to tease him, causing Aodhán to let out a loud squeal.

Faoladhean burst out laughing, unable to contain herself any longer. Finan and Aodhán both turned their heads toward her, smiles on their faces. Finan lowered him down quickly for one last round of the play, but Aodhán was distracted.

"Ah, of course. Your ma comes home, and suddenly Da is no fun." Finan grinned as he sat up and Aodhán's chubby arms raised up toward Faoladhean.

"I did noe mean to interrupt!" Faoladhean laughed again as she bent down to pick up their son, and kissed Finan quickly before standing up with the happy little boy in her arms. Finan also stood, and stretched for a moment before making his way over to Faoladhean. He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her in for another kiss.

"That's alright. Ya probably saved me from getting baby saliva in my eyes, with the way he's leaking everywhere! You are a mess, mo leanbh!" Finan grinned as Aodhán squealed and dropped his head to Faoladhean's chest. She smiled and stroked his back as he babbled against her.

"Do ye want to come meet the potential wet nurse tomorrow?" Faoladhean looked at Finan, whose face had a slight surprised expression.

"Do ya want me to come with?"

"Well, she will be feeding our child, so...I thought ye might want to be there." She huffed softly. "I dinnae how all this works."

Finan rubbed her back, quiet for a moment. "I don't think fathers usually get involved in those decisions, but if ya want me to be there, I will be."

"Fathers are noe usually present when a bairn is born, either." Faoladhean chuckled softly and smirked at Finan.

"Mm," he said as he brought his hands to her hips, "that is true. Maybe we should just keep breaking all of the other parenting traditions as we come to them." He winked at her, and leaned over Aodhán to kiss Faoladhean gently.

Faoladhean grinned at Sihtric as she approached the gate, where he was already posted. "It feels as if I have noe worked with ye in ages!" Sihtric smiled back briefly as Faoladhean continued. "Between ye becoming a married man, and going out scouting, I have noe even seen ye since Winchester. That reminds me - when will we get to actually meet this woman of yours?"

Sihtric blushed as he looked away, embarrassed by the teasing. "We are not married yet," he said softly as he glanced at Faoladhean, still smiling. "And I will bring her to Coccham as soon as we are. Uhtred wanted me to wait until after we deal with the Thurgilsons and Lunden."

Faoladhean nodded. "That seems reasonable. With any luck, things will be settled quickly with Lunden, and you will be free to collect your woman. What is her name?"

"Eahlswith," Sihtric blushed again as he said it, and rubbed a hand over the back of his neck.

"Sihtric," Faoladhean shoved him gently, smiling. "I am noe going to tease ye about it the way the other boys do."

He looked at her from under his brow, still smiling. "I forget sometimes that you are more kind."

Faoladhean started laughing then. "Oh I can tease right along the best of them, ye have seen it! But not with something this important - especially since the worst of it comes from my husband!"

"I appreciate that," he said, chuckling softly.

"What will ye do for a home for the two of ye? She can noe live in the barracks."

He sighed as he looked out toward the road. "I need to find a real home for her. For us. She deserves to have a nice home, and I will do whatever I can to ensure that."

Smiling warmly as she also looked toward the road, Faoladhean nodded. "I am sure ye will find something."

They settled into companionable silence as they watched over the people coming and going through the gate, mostly townsfolk who tended fields just beyond the palisade, or folks going between villages for trade. Faoladhean greeted those she knew in passing, and tried her best to be pleasant to those she didn't, though some of the newer residents cast sidelong glances her way as they passed through the gate. After the third such occurrence, Faoladhean sighed.

Sihtric looked across the open gateway at Faoladhean, an eyebrow arched in question. "Is something wrong, Lady Wolf?" He smirked as she rolled her eyes.

"No, nothing is wrong. It's just...some of the newer folk dinnae seem to like me. I dinnae ken if my facial marks frighten them, or if they think I am a witch," Faoladhean looked back at Sihtric, her lips pursed as he chuckled at her, "or think something awful of me. It just grates on me after a while."

Sihtric gazed out over the field and the currently-empty road. "I know it is easier said than done, but try not to let it bother you. I see some less-than-kind glances turned my way as well, being a Dane. Once the newer folks have been here a while, they will see they have nothing to fear from any of us heathens." He turned to look at Faoladhean again, a smirk on his face.

Faoladhean hummed in acknowledgement. "I hope that is true." She leaned back against the wooden wall, shaded from the warm sunshine and crossed her arms over her chest.

The afternoon passed uneventfully, and they carried on conversations when they arose. It was one thing she appreciated about Sihtric - there was never any pressure for forced pleasantries, and silence between them was comfortable. They spoke at length about Lunden, and what had happened there. Sihtric's account was almost identical to Finan's, but it was nice to hear it from a different perspective. Faoladhean found herself cringing at the part about the priests being nailed to the wooden posts all over again, and smiled at Sihtric's retelling of the fighting priest.

"I hope to meet him one day," she said. "He sounds like an interesting character."

Sihtric smiled. "He is indeed. I thought Uhtred had condemned him to a death sentence by suggesting he fight against the Thurgilsons' brute, but Uhtred knew what he was doing."

Faoladhean shook her head slowly, pondering that. "I cannae even imagine! The gods or his nailed god must have favored the priest that day!"

Sihtric nodded and they fell quiet once again. Faoladhean turned to check the position of the sun and sighed. There were still a couple hours of their shift left, and no sign of the potential wet nurse to come. Faoladhean knew the last two hours would drag past, and gritted her teeth as she paced around her post, trying to burn off the boredom that was rapidly setting in. Another hour passed, and she and Sihtric could see two riders approaching. Faoladhean found herself thinking if that would be Wynthrith, and also dreading that it was. She gritted her teeth while thinking about it, and sighed again.

"What are you sighing about now?" Sihtric asked, his face caught in a playful smirk.

"Just wondering if that could be the wet nurse Hild sent for."

Sihtric frowned. "Why would Hild have need of a wet nurse?"

Faoladhean stared at Sihtric for a moment, then started laughing. "It's noe for her!"

"Oh," he said softly, a dusting of pink creeping up on his cheeks. "Who, then?"

"For me and Aodhán, when we head to take back Lunden."

"Oh!" Sihtric's face relaxed as he let out an embarrassed chuckle. "That makes far more sense. I did not realize you are planning on coming with us."

Faoladhean's gaze softened as she glanced out at the riders, then turned back to Sihtric. "I am. I cannae let ye boys have all the fun without me! Besides," she said as she looked back at the road, "I have it on good authority that Finan and I will noe fall in battle, so that makes the decision to go much easier."

"Have you been talking to your gods again?" Sihtric smirked as Faoladhean's smile widened.

"Aye, The Mórrigan came to me in a Dream again. Tis why I got a new mark. I will have to show ye when I dinnae have my armor on."

"When you don't have..." Sihtric's eyebrows shot up his forehead. "Are you certain Finan will not mind, if you have to be undressed to show me?"

Faoladhean shrugged. "I dinnae have to be nude!" She started giggling at the flustered sound Sihtric made. Luckily he had gotten himself settled before the two riders approached the gate to enter Coccham.

As they drew nearer, Faoladhean could see one of the riders was a monk, and the other a young girl who looked as though life had broken her spirit; her shoulders were hunched in and her eyes were sad, hollow almost. If the child she lost was wanted, it would make sense that she would seem so sad. I can not imagine... Faoladhean's heart ached for the poor girl, and they hadn't even spoken yet.

The monk waved in greeting as the horses trotted to a stop just outside the gates. "Good day!" He seemed jovial enough, though his smile faltered slightly when he looked between Sihtric and Faoladhean. "I-we-we have business, ah, with Sister Hild."

Faoladhean stepped forward and smiled. "Hild asked that the young lady meet her at the hall with Lady Gisela. I am sure you will be given refreshment there as well." Faoladhean looked at the young girl, who hadn't raised her eyes once in the short time they had been in each other's presence.

The holy man smiled nervously as he nodded. "Y-yes, thank you."

Faoladhean nodded as she and Sihtric stepped back to allow them to pass through the gate.

When the unlikely pair had ridden out of earshot, Sihtric turned to Faoladhean, his face serious. "She does not look happy to be here," he commented softly.

Faoladhean shook her head. "No, she does noe. I cannae imagine her situation is an easy one, as her bairn was born dead. And who kens what the rest of her story is, hm?"

"She hardly looks old enough to be a mother."

That Sihtric had voiced the thought niggling in the back of her mind brought Faoladhean no comfort. She had been trying to ignore that, hoping that her guess at the girl's age was wrong. To have him say it only confirmed her sinking suspicion. Faoladhean began to hope that the girl's story was not as horrifying as she was starting to think it could be.

Finan awaited Faoladhean just outside the door to the hall, and he smiled as Faoladhean drew nearer. As soon as she was close, he pushed away from the wall and greeted her with a soft kiss, his arms encircling her; that her brows were pinched did not escape his notice.

"What's wrong, did something happen while you were on the gate?" He asked, concern written on his features.

"No," she sighed as she placed her hands on his chest and looked up into his eyes. "The wet nurse, Wynthrith. She-she does noe look very old, and I worry about the circumstances that brought her here."

Finan's mouth tightened into a straight line for a moment. "Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves and assume the worst," he said, though the statement lacked conviction.

Faoladhean nodded. "Shall we?" She tipped her head toward the door, then smiled up at Finan when he moved to open it and allow her in before him.

Sitting at the long table in the hall, Gisela and Hild both smiled as Faoladhean and Finan entered; Wynthrith, seated with her back to the door, did not turn as they entered, and from the hunch of her shoulders and bowed head, Faoladhean could see how troubled the girl was. The monk who had accompanied her sat at a smaller table in a corner, attempting to give an illusion of privacy, though Faoladhean had a feeling he was hanging on each and every word spoken in the hall.

Stepping up beside the girl, Faoladhean gently touched her shoulder and gave her a soft smile when Wynthrith finally turned her head to look up. "Do ye mind if I sit beside ye?" She spoke softly, worried about scaring the poor girl or upsetting her more than she already appeared. Sad brown eyes blinked up at her, but Wynthrith gave her a slight nod. "Good," Faoladhean smiled warmly as she sat, "I did noe want ye to feel as if we are all interrogating ye."

Gisela and Hild both smiled at Faoladhean, the looks on their faces showing admiration for her approach with the girl before them. Gislea was the first to speak.

"Wynthrith, this is Faoladhean and Finan, the parents of the baby you would be nursing."

Wynthrith hardly lifted her gaze toward Finan, but looked up at Faoladhean and held her gaze for a moment. "You-you were at the gate." Her sad brown eyes widened slightly when she spoke her observation quietly.

"Aye," Faoladhean smiled again. "I am a member of Lord Uhtred's guard, and work alongside him and the guardsmen. That is why I am in need of a wet nurse. It is noe a decision I have made lightly, but in order to fulfill my oath to Lord Uhtred, I will be traveling to Lunden soon, and I cannoe bring Aodhán with me."

As if on cue, Thordis entered the hall from the kitchen, Aodhán in her arms, gurgling around his fist. Finan smiled and met Thordis halfway, laughing at the excited squeal the boy let out as he reached for him. Faoladhean smiled, her heart melting as she watched Aodhán rest his head on Finan's chest for a moment and coo softly.

"And there he is," laughed Gisela.

Wynthrith looked up at Aodhán as he snuggled into Finan, and Faoladhean watched a small, wistful smile pull at the corners of her mouth.

Gisela looked back across the table to Faoladhean and Wynthrith. "I was explaining to Wynthrith that she will be staying here in the manor house with Aodhán when you leave with Uhtred and the guard, so she will not have to be responsible for all of his care, mainly just the nursing. I will let you discuss any details pertaining to your daily routines while you are still here, of course - if you decide you would like her to fill the position."

"And, once you do decide," Hild said, "I will send a message back with Brother Frithstan for Abbess Godgyth, should you decide to take on Wynthrith."

Faoladhean nodded, then looked over to Wynthrith. "Do ye have any questions for us?"

She shook her head, her gaze fixed on her hands where they were laced together atop the table before her.

Faoladhean's mouth twisted as she frowned slightly. "Would it be all right if I speak with ye, in private?" She glanced up at Finan, who was pacing around with Aodhán, keeping him entertained. He smiled at her reassuringly. "Perhaps we could take a short walk down to the river and back."

Again, the girl nodded silently and stood.

Faoladhean looked over everyone else briefly, then smiled. "We will be back in a few minutes." As she stood and walked to the door, she paused briefly to kiss Aodhán on the cheek, then pulled Finan down and pressed a quick kiss to his lips.

"I love you," he whispered, smiling softly. "I trust your decision in this."

Faoladhean smiled and patted his cheek affectionately, then turned and opened the door, letting a shaft of early evening sunlight into the hall. She motioned for Wynthrith to exit first, then followed behind through the door. They walked in silence for a few moments before Wynthrith found her voice, soft as it was.

"You are not a Dane," she stated as she cast a sidelong glance at Faoladhean.

She huffed through her nose, a small smile on her face. "No, I am noe a Dane."

"What are you, then? You have the ink marks like Danes do."

"I am a Pict, though Pictland will likely be called Alba any day now. Do ye know of Pictland?"

Wynthrith shook her head, her gaze on the ground as they walked.

"It is a long way from here. North, past Northumbria, even."

"Is your husband? A Pict, I mean."

"No, Finan is from Ireland, across the sea."

Wynthrith said nothing, nor gave any indication as to whether or not she knew of Northumbria, or Ireland, and Faoladhean didn't question her further on it.

"Wynthrith, I would like to ask ye a question, and I hope ye answer honestly, though if ye would rather not answer at all, I understand. Would that be all right?"

Wynthrith sighed softly, but hesitantly nodded.

"Thank ye," Faoladhean smiled. "Are ye here freely, or was this forced on ye? I dinnae want to make your situation more difficult than it already must be."

Wynthirth scoffed quietly, but said nothing for long moments. "Most of my life, things have been forced on me, one way or another." Her voice, soft as it was, took on a bitter edge, but her gaze remained lowered. "But this? Coming here was my choice. It was either leave the nunnery, or stay and be looked down upon for the rest of my days because I bore a child out of wedlock. Nevermind that the child did not survive."

Faoladhean looked over at Wynthrith to see anger burning on the girl's face. She sighed, not knowing how much more to ask, fearing pushing the girl past her comfort zone. When they reached the river in silence, Faoladhean turned and walked along the bank to a spot where a tree was downed and sat down, motioning for Wynthrith to join her. They both stared out over the gold and crimson sky-reflected water for a while, no words passing between them.

"I can noe imagine the pain of losing a babe after growing to love it for so long, yet never being able to hold it in your arms. I am truly sorry for what you have experienced." Faoladhean kept her gaze on the river as she spoke, watching Wynthrith fidget in her periphery.

After another period of silence, Wynthrith sniffled quietly. Faoladhean turned her head to see her shoulders shaking with silent sobs, her face buried in her hands. Hesitantly, she reached out and wrapped her arm around Wynthrith's shoulders, surprised when the girl suddenly wrapped her arms around her as she cried. Faoladhean brought her other arm up and held the girl in a tight embrace as she sobbed, and rubbed her back gently.

"I thought," she began through her tears, "I thought that finally, I would have something-someone for me to love, who would love me in return. But God must have seen fit to punish me for my 'indiscretions' as Abbess Godgyth said. I hate to think that she is right! Why would God punish my babe for my actions?" She began to sob again, great wracking cries that shook her entire body.

Faoladhean continued to hold her, her heart breaking for the poor girl. "Wynthrith, are you Christian?"

She shrugged as she cried. "I do not have much faith anymore. What little I had died with my babe."

As Faoladhean continued to rub her back, she spoke quietly. "I am noe a Christian, so my beliefs are...different. Would you like to know what I was taught?"

Wynthrith's tears and sobs began to slow, and she pulled out of Faoladhean's embrace. As she wiped at her face, she turned her gaze to see nothing but compassion looking back at her. With a sniffle, she nodded.

"I was taught that when a babe passes on from the womb, it is because the soul was noe ready to join us on the physical plane. That just because the mother is fertile and ready does noe mean that the babe's soul is. So it will return to the Otherside, and then return to an earthly body when it is ready."

With another sniffle, Wynthrith looked back over the river, but said nothing, so Faoladhean continued. "Finan and I lost one, early on, so it was an entirely different situation than yours - I had only suspected I was carrying a bairn for a few days when it happened, so it did noe feel as devastating as this must feel for ye. But believing what I was taught all those years ago, what I just shared with ye, helped me to get through the worst days."

Wynthrith nodded almost imperceptibly as she wrapped her arms around herself, silent once again.

"I will noe force ye to stay, if it is noe what ye want. But, I will say that there is something about Coccham and its people that just...heals a broken soul. I came here after losing everything, including nearly my own life, and despite feeling like I could never be happy again, I am. And, a lot of it has to do with the people ye have already met. I dinnae ken what the rest of your story is, and I will noe pry, but I hope ye decide to stay, if only to heal whatever parts of ye that need it."

Turning to look at Faoladhean, Wynthrith gave her a small, fragile smile. "You have been nicer to me in the last few moments than most people in my life so far. Though the other people in my life are mainly the crabby old abbess and the nuns where I live. If this place is what you say it is, I will gladly stay."

Faoladhean smiled at her, then stood and offered Wynthrith a hand. "I am happy to hear it. Let us go back to the hall, and we can tell them your decision."

Bible verse - Ephesians 6:13-18

mo leanbh - my child

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.8K 1.7K 63
UK has been going through some tough times with Brexit and parliament and his kingdoms are becoming reckless and want to break free. No one knows abo...
11.6K 108 36
(Lion Guard Season 3 Ended and Lion Guard Season 4 haven't came out so i started to dream about it and i decided to try fan-fiction) Lion Guard Seaso...
1.2K 28 17
[A/N]: Hey guys! Before I post this story, I was going to give a little insight. A very good friend of mine and I decided to write this book, and wha...
18.2K 526 44
Part one of The Mórrigan's Wolf series, a The Last Kingdom Fanfic Series. Featuring Finan and a female OC Faoladhean (FAY-luh-yin) is part of one of...