A matter of Law

By Irish_Wolves

Published with permission) A new neighbor has moved to Privet Drive. Not only is the new neighbor a wizard, h... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

7

4.3K 223 11
By Irish_Wolves

Amy Greengrass continued scanning the child on the floor of the kitchen. The fact the child in question was Harry Potter was immaterial at the moment; her only concern was gaining a thorough list of any injuries the child had suffered. She set a piece of parchment with a Dicta-Quill to record her findings, and began the scan again. She thought it was fortunate the scan was taking all of her concentration. She might be tempted to visit the people who did this for a bit of retribution. She briefly looked up when she noticed her husband watching her. She met his raised eyebrow with a gimlet eyed stare of her own. Knowing his wife in a temper could be vicious enough to make Bellatrix Lestrange take a step back and reconsider, Brian tried to appeal to her reason and intellect.

"Now Amy love, if I allowed you to eviscerate the people who did this, it could ruin Kyle's case and he wouldn't be able to make the person who likely placed him with those people pay for it. So please, keep your temper for just a little while longer."

Amy snorted, and began making even more notes, the set of her back and shoulders betraying just how enraged she was.

"It's not fair that my oaths as a Healer won't allow me to deal with the animals that did this the way I want to. I assume that there's a reason you wouldn't want him taken to St. Mungo's, Kyle?"

"Unfortunately yes, Amy. It might tip off the person I believe is responsible for placing him with those people, and I want to arrange for at least a hearing to name a new guardian before that happens. And before you ask, when I bring that person to trial, I hope to have enough evidence against the person to build a dam in the Thames," Kyle answered her.

"Fine. There's a small clinic near where Brian and I live that I volunteer time in. We can take him there, and treat him as a 'John Doe Child' patient. But I want him moved to that clinic as soon as I finish here. He not only has physical injuries, there's something very wrong with his magic. I need access to the clinic to find out what that is if St Mungo's isn't an option."

"How long do you think he would be at the clinic? Based on what he's told me so far, it wouldn't be long before those people he lives with notice he's not there; namely when their dinner is late to the table," Kyle asked.

"I can't give an accurate estimate until I can do a more thorough examination that includes his magic. Their dinner? As in they expect him to cook for them? Merlin's beard, he can't be more than seven or so based on his size. That's much too young for that kind of responsibility unless supervised."

"Already made dinner for them. Messed up making dessert. Dudley's favorite, so he got mad," the small voice of Harry stated. He was already falling asleep from the way his eyes kept closing and opening slowly.

"Harry? Harry, I need you to stay awake for me. Can you tell me what happened?" Kyle questioned rapidly.

"Messed up dessert. Dudley got mad, so he started hitting me. Said I ruin everything. Got away from him after he hit my cheek. Tried to open the back door and Uncle Vernon grabbed me. Hit me in th' face a couple times, pulled my arms behind me, shook me a couple times. Shoved me in m' cupboard, but f'rgot to lock th' door. Heard 'im tell Dudley an' Aunt Petunia going out f'r dessert, since I'm a freak who don't know how t'do anything right. Came here when they left. Sorry I messed up your floor, Mr. Stanton."

"I don't want you to worry about my floor, Harry. The floor can be cleaned up. What was your aunt doing when this was happening? Didn't she try to stop it at all?"

"Aunt Petunia never stops Uncle Vernon and Dudley. Says a freak like me doesn't deserve help."

"Harry, my name is Brian Greengrass, and I work with Mr. Stanton. I'm sorry, but did you say you were shoved into your cupboard? What do you mean your cupboard?"

"It's where I sleep, Mr. Greengrass. Always slept in the cupboard under the stairs," Harry continued, his voice finally losing the slight slur.

"He told me the other bedroom in his aunt and uncle's house-the one that anywhere else he would have used-was given to his cousin Dudley as a 'second bedroom' for the toys that Dudley breaks," Kyle explained.

"Mr. Stanton? Mr. Greengrass? Am I going to get to see a doctor? And can you fix it so that I wouldn't have to go back to my aunt and uncle's house?" Harry asked, hopefully.

"Well, Harry, we need to make sure there's a responsible adult who can take good care of you before we can make sure of that," Kyle began, "and since you told me your parents are not living, unless you have a person like a grandparent, older brother or sister that's an adult, or even a godparent…"and Kyle trailed off, struck by what he'd said.

"Kyle? What is it?" Amy asked.

"Brian, correct me if I'm wrong, but when someone makes a godparent oath, doesn't that include taking the godchild into your family as if the child is a full member of the family?" Kyle asked, speculation on his face.

"Usually, yes. For example, if I were to be godfather to the child of my best friend, that godchild would be seen-and treated by other members of the family-as a child of mine. So my parents would be considered my godchild's grandparents under that oath, with all of the rights and responsibilities of any other member of the family."

"Including the right of sanctuary?" Kyle asked pointedly.

"Of course, but why would you…are you thinking of Arcturus?"

"Absolutely. When was the last time you heard of someone being able to get into his house if he didn't want them there?"

"Never. Anyone who enters-including family-does so only with permission and prior invitation or appointment."

"So there is an option. I suggest you send an urgent owl to Lord Black while Harry is being treated. Any further care if needed, should Arcturus be agreeable, a Healer can be hired to come to the estate to administer."

"Then send the owl from the clinic Brian, because I want to move Harry there now," Amy said, growing impatient.

Nodding agreement, the two men helped Harry to lie down on a blanket, then, once Amy had wrapped the blanket and lifted him, making sure his view was obscured, they all apparated to the clinic with Harry.

OOO

Lord Arcturus Black III, Head of the Ancient and Noble House of Black, read the letter that had just been delivered by owl for a second time. He was having a difficult time comprehending how or why what was being described in the letter had happened.

To Lord Arcturus Black, Head of the Ancient and Noble House of Black, Greetings:

Dear Sir,

I am writing you in regard to Harry Potter. As you are already aware, your grandson Sirius Black is the boy's oath sworn Godfather. This by extension, also makes Mr. Potter a member of the Black Family by oath. I am writing you now to ask sanctuary for Harry Potter. My partner in my firm, Kyle Stanton, is the boy's solicitor, and Harry was somehow able to come to Mr. Stanton's residence after being severely beaten and abused by his maternal aunt and her husband before collapsing. My wife Amy and I were visiting Mr. Stanton when this occurred, and my wife, who is a Healer, was able to stabilize him enough to bring him to the Manchester Clinic to be treated.

My wife feels, as do I, that to return young Mr. Potter to his Aunt's home would not be in his best interest. Based on what the boy has told us, his aunt and her family treat him worse than a house elf, quite literally making him sleep in a boot cupboard under their stairs.

I await your decision on this request.

Regards,

Brian Gerald Greengrass

Greengrass, Morton, and Stanton

Two minutes after finishing the letter for the second time, Arcturus wrote a short reply and sent it to Brian Greengrass.

OOO

Harry was halfway through his treatment when an owl arrived with a letter for Brian. After taking the letter, the owl flew off, so a reply wasn't expected. Taking a calming breath, Brian opened the letter.

To Brian Gerald Greengrass, Greetings:

Mr. Greengrass,

Harry Potter is granted sanctuary within the House of Black at my estate. This letter will allow passage through the wards for Mr. Potter, his solicitor, yourself, and your wife as she is a Healer.

I expect young Mr. Potter's arrival after he has been treated, as well as any instructions for his care due to the cause of his requiring treatment. Unless he has any possessions of a sentimental value he wishes to bring with him, I will see to his complete outfitting myself.

Regards,

Lord Arcturus Black III

Head of the Most Noble and Ancient House of Black

"We're past the first hurdle," Brian said, passing the letter to Kyle.

After taking a moment to read the letter, Kyle looked at Harry and smiled.

"Well Harry, it looks as though you don't have to go back to your aunt's house after you're finished here. Someone related to the person your parents were friends with and named a godparent for you has offered to take you in and take care of you."

"Really? I never have to go back to my aunt and uncle's house again? You promise?" Harry babbled, a hopeful expression on his face.

"You never have to go back there again. Promise."

"Good! They never treated me nice, no matter how good I was. It never felt like my home, and I don't ever want to go back."

Several miles away, wards that had surrounded a small house in Little Whinging, Surrey, fell, and one particular ornament on the desk of Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, melted.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142 5 5
a harry x reader story
305 19 4
โ would you do anything for me? buy a big diamond ring for me? โž โ” in which evita rosier, a slytherin pure-blood and evan rosier's younger twin, is t...
4.2K 153 19
A graduation trip with your best friend was planned. The week in Florida was a fun one. But what wasn't fun was your befriend suddenly turning on yo...
542K 21.1K 29
Harry Potter and Anna Black were used to a normal and boring life on Privet Drive until they each get a letter that will change their lives forever...