Recollections (Those Truthful...

By sleep-can-wait

When you become mortal, you'll start forgetting things. One day, you'll forget me. One day, I'll lose my memo... More

1: You Never Were A Special One. So Why...?

72 10 50
By sleep-can-wait

A/N: Bare with me on the weird POV, it'll make sense soon I promise.

The day you opened your eyes, the stars promised you that you'd be rich in happiness and find the purest form of love.

So you hadn't expected it when misery became your dearly despised friend, hadn't expected that you'd be abandoned by who you thought you'd love forever, and who'd love you just as long in return.

You hadn't expected to give up your immortality, only to be backstabbed by the person you gave it up for, hadn't expected someday you'll die.

You hadn't expected the world would shatter into misshapen shards around your feet that cut jagged wounds into your soles.

You hadn't expected the stars to be right.

— — —

"Ulloo?" Your mother called. Owl.

"Ma?" You replied, twirling before the large mirror that stood in the large hall that led to Menaka's Spa.

"Promise that you will never leave me." You thought about it for a moment with pursed lips and struck a pose with one small hand up and the other down, fingers splayed.

"Okay." Menaka smiled contentedly before giving her attention back to the magazine in her hands. You started your dance once again.

— — —

"And you're sure stardom is your calling?"

"Yes, it had my name written on it the day I was born." Urvashi sighed and gently stirred her ice cream with the tip of her finger before licking it off.

"Alright, if that's what you want." You grinned in return.

"I do, so teach me everything you know."

"You're a strange five-year-old, you know that?"

"I'm seven." You giddily hummed the melody of your happy, eternal future.

— — —

You delicately thunked your heels against the wooden floor of the dance studio, making your anklets chime in rhythm. With each slap of the foot came the flashing of fingers curled in a lotus.

"Impressive." Urvashi waved her hand to stop the music that thumped through your skull and pumped through your veins.

"I can do better." You always thought you could do better.

"You can, but right now it's time for you to enter Nidra's Halls." You pouted but obeyed the elder's wishes.

The fall and rise and flare of the music's beat was your companion in the realm of sleep that night. And every night after that. You thought those nights would never end.

— — —

They found you as you made your way toward the Frozen Dreams and Yogurt stall and swarmed you with notebooks and cameras.

"Is your mother around?" The Otherworld's residents asked with eager eyes. "What about your sisters? Are they close by?" Their heads enthusiastically flicked here and there, as if they were high on caffeine, desperate to catch the first glimpse of your famous family. Their hands were ready to receive autographs and their smiles wide preparing for a dozen selfies.

"No."

And just like that, they were gone, disinterested in you without the presence of the other apsaras hovering about. A few snapped a couple of pictures before muttering about how it would 'gain them a few likes and would have to do for now' before stalking off.

You bit the inside of your cheek until your irritation cooled. You'd make sure they'd never ignore you like this soon, and you thought there would be endless centuries to show them how wrong they were. But for now, you decided a hat would be good to wear when outside.

— — —

"I'm worried about... your child, Menaka." You leaned towards the door more so that you could snatch up more pieces of their broken conversation.

"What do you mean by that?" You could hear fury flavoring each word your mother uttered.

"Nothing! It's just... how do you know she won't end up like... like her?" 'Who?' You inched even closer.

"Who?" Menaka echoed your thoughts.

"The cursed one..." They muttered, and your mother's nostrils flared with anger.

"She is nothing like Shakuntula! How dare you assume-!"

"But Malini, though she is very pretty, isn't exceptionally so. She doesn't stand out among the heavenly dancers. She can dance, but it's just like anyone else's. And she'll never make it in the singing department. I don't need to hear her to know that, she's much too quiet. Shakuntula was just the same. I'm afraid, just like her, Malini will fall in love with other mediocre—" They tried to smush flattery in their scathing remarks, but it only helped to fan the fire of their words and your mother's temper.

"Shut up! All of you! I never want to see your faces again! You are supposed to be her family, my family! You think you can just waltz in here unannounced and-!"

— — —

You were not even sure how you ended up back in front of the mirror in Menaka's Spa. One moment you were listening to your aunts and mother ramble about your apparent inadequacy, the next you were staring at your own reflection.

You gazed at yourself, pinpointing your every flaw and desperately wanting to grab an eraser and rub it off. Your eyes were too big for your face and your lips too thin. Nothing about you was outstanding.

You thought your dancing had gotten better to make up for that, but apparently, Urvashi had been pity-complimenting you.

Your fists clenched at your sides and you gritted your teeth to stop the hot tears that already stung your eyes.

No, you would not let yourself become like Shakuntula, whoever that was. And to accomplish that, you needed to find out who this cursed child was first.

You think to yourself that you'll never forget the words they said, never let their words that scarred the insides of your ears fade. Those were your battle wounds, after all.

— — —

You'd read through the entire copy of The Cursed Child by J. K. Rowling and were ninety percent sure that wasn't it. No mention of 'Shakuntula' either. You'd leafed through every book the Otherworld had to offer and came back with nothing every time.

"I will find you, whoever you are," You muttered before stalking off to dance. You had a million and more years to figure it out.

— — —

"You don't seem as enthusiastic as you did before," Urvashi commented after another lame performance you presented to her.

You hung her head in response.

"What's the point, I'm no good anyways."

"What are you talking about, of course you are!"

"But not like you!"

"Obviously, no one can pull it off like I can." There was more silence as you looked away from those penetrating eyes. Urvashi sighed.

"Right now, I can see you are not very passionate about dancing." You finally looked at your older sister, dreading her next words.

"You may come back once you really, really want to dance for you and yourself only." Saying that, Urvashi turned on her heel and sashayed off.

— — —

"Why are you trying to find out about... her?" You looked at your mother, mystified.

"Who?"

"Shakuntula," Menaka snapped, towering over you. Her shadow pressed heavily against your shoulders.

"Oh..." You shrugged.

"Well, don't." Your laptop which held the words 'Who is Shakuntula?' was snatched away from you. "She has nothing to do with you, alright?" You shrugged again.

— — —

"I told you to stop looking into her!" The book on 'Apsara Curses' was pried from your gasp. You pouted. Just as you were getting to the chapter on a guy who forgot about his lover until a fish came to save the day.

"How do you know if I was even looking her up?" You glared up at your scowling mother.

That only deepened her grouchy exterior. "I just... I just know! Stay away from fishes!" With that, Menaka stomped off.

"Fishes? Interesting..."

— — —

"We need to talk." You looked up from your article on why fish stocks were rising to see a frustrated Menaka looking down on you with her arms crossed.

"Who is Shakuntula?" You asked immediately, ignoring your mother's previous treats, which promptly elicited a sigh from the other woman.

"Was. What all do you know about her so far?"

"Pronouns are she/her, she was your child so probably an apsara, and she was cursed. Oh, also fishes." Another sigh.

"It's way past your bedtime so go to sleep. I'll tell you about her tomorrow."

"Promise?"

"I promise." And, anyway, she had an eternity to tell you.

— — —

If you were being honest, you hadn't gotten a wink of sleep last night as you braced yourself to find out who Shakuntula, your supposed sister, was. Fingers crossed she was not a fish.

You took a deep breath in and watched as the doors to your mother's office silently opened on their own. You took slow, steady steps, yet each seemed to echo against the walls, amplifying the pounding in your ears.

Menaka was seated at the end of the hall, looking as regal as always.

"Sit down." Her deep voice reverberated through your skull. "It's time I tell you about another member of our family. Someone who came long before you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

404K 24.5K 83
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
541K 8.4K 85
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
85.5K 3K 51
"๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐š๐ซ๐ž, ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง ๐›๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ, ๐ˆ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐€๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž" ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Caitlin Clark fa...
619K 31.4K 60
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...