Our Hearts Collided (MxM)

By zoe_grimm

Love was but a foreign concept to Vince; the closest he's ever felt it was the few months he spent with his m... More

Our Hearts Collided
~Official Playlist~
Part 1
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Part 2
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 42

945 49 5
By zoe_grimm

Vince POV

Given my knack for disappearing, as Xavier called it, I trod down the steps from our room to inform my brother that I'd run with Simon in the woods. Our wolves had had enough of our lounging around and were looking to expend some energy in their forms, to which we agreed after a quick bite to eat and freshen up. Simon stayed to shower as I went to the kitchen to find something to eat.

It seemed Xavier also slept in with his tussled hair and wrinkled oversized shirt that looked suspiciously like a shirt Sam had worn before. In one hand was his phone, the other holding a pastry Loreta likely left out on the counter.

"Rough night?" I sent him a knowing look.

"No," Xavier said, then cleared his throat. "I mean, yes, but not what you're implying. The kids wanted to play at two in the morning. I think they got into the sugar cookies I bought."

"You should know to hide your stash of goodies better. They're only getting smarter."

"And taller," Xavier added. "I swear Jonah's grown a foot since last year."

Quite the exaggeration, but their growth spurts did seem abnormal for their ages. Then again, from the records of their birth parents, there's no doubt that they'd likely tower over Xavier by the time they're teens.

"Soon, they'll be able to steal all your cookies and hide them out of reach from you."

Xavier groaned. "Don't get me started. I think I can already fit into Jonah's clothes at this point. It's not like he eats that much either; I don't get it."

"Or, maybe you're shrinking."

"Whatever." Xavier finished the danish in a few small bites before eyeing the staircase behind me. "Enough about my height; I imagine last night was exhausting for other reasons. Good reasons, though."

"You could say that." I grinned, turning slightly so he could see the mark.

Xavier sucked in a breath as his eyes widened at the mark. "Oh, you really did have a good night. No wonder Simon's still sleeping."

"He's up, but he told me he'd wash up before coming down."

He hummed."How was it?" He cleared his throat, waving his hand in the air between us. "Not the details, obviously. Just with the mark and bond. Was it as incredible as everyone makes it sound?"

"Yes. Everything you could imagine and more," I said without hesitation.

Though Xavier's grin and excitement for Simon and me seemed genuine, the look in his eyes held something else. A tinge of sadness.

"Xav?"

He blinked, and again as if it would steer whatever thoughts in his head were forming away. But my underlying worry for him couldn't let it go. "Is this about Sam?"

The tilt of his head and the way his eyes looked at the ground spoke volumes.

"Did he say something?"

"No," Xavier said. "He left after the party for an emergency work call. I was just wondering what it was like. Or if it was even possible with him—if he'd even want that, I mean."

"You are serious with him, then. If you're thinking this much about it."

"I mean, yeah." He sighed. "I just hope that it will be the same."

"It's not like there haven't been werewolves with human mates."

He opened and closed his mouth before finally adding, "But we're not."

Pinching my lip between my teeth, guilt settled in my core. It wasn't that I had forgotten they weren't mates, but Xavier had never brought it up after he discovered who was his mate. Regret at even bringing up mates lingered as the sounds of wolves approached the pack house. Betas, I don't recognize, entered mid-conversation before realizing the two of us were in there. Most saluted or bowed their head in greeting.

He shook his head, his previous bubbly expression returning as the betas walked past us, likely headed back to a lounge room. "Enough about me. Congrats, brother. Only took you how long?"

"Very funny," I said, but his deflection wouldn't work on me. "You could ask Arthur or Clayton about their bond. They may both be wolves, but their bond is undeniable."

Xavier's forehead creased as he dwelled on it. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt. Though it's still different—besides, I've only just begun dating Sam. It's likely too early even to consider that, right?"

"I don't think I'm the one to ask. Weren't you teasing me about how long it took me?"

His worry eased, replaced by a soft smile. "Fair."

"I believe in you two," I added. "Approve and all that, though you don't need it. In case you're worried about that, too. And while I'm not by any means close with him, if anyone were to say anything to you about your relationship with Sam, send them my way."

He laughed. "Thanks."

"Good." I reached for the basket of pastries before Xavier could swipe another. "If you're done hogging the pastries, I'd like a few for me and Simon before we head out."

"Honeymoon already? You work fast."

"We're going to go for a run," I corrected. "Let our wolves out. Just thought I'd let you know in case you need us."

Xavier narrowed his eyes before leaving us with a warning. "No fraternizing in the woods. Or, at the very least, find a cave. We're letting the newest beta recruits explore the patrol routes all day. No need to scar them on their first day."

To which I joked, "Didn't think you knew what fraternizing means; it's such a long word for you."

He rolled his eyes as Simon made his way over. He wrapped his arms around my middle before untangling himself to grab a pastry. "Ready?"

He wore one of my shirts, his hair still damp from his shower. Aside from the strawberry jam leaking out of the pastry as he took a bite, my eyes lingered on the crook of his neck where the mark lay.

"Ready."

---

Running in our wolf forms with our wolves at the forefront felt different—more precise, in tune. As if sharing their conscience in perfect harmony, I could experience the same senses as my wolf, with far less exertion than before. Another bonus to the mate bond, no doubt.

And as a result of a strengthened bond, I knew exactly where our wolves were headed. Whether it was a gut feeling or a subconscious feeling from our wolves' excitement and eagerness to leave the pack grounds, the path to the spot at the lakeshore was all too clear.

As serene as always, the sky was clear, offering an unusually unobstructed view of Arthur's pack in the distance. The slight wind offered a pleasant ambiance of rustling trees, and with only the minute sounds of distant forest animals, I couldn't imagine another more peaceful place to rest after a run.

With our wolves satiated with a run in their physical forms, they pulled back, allowing Simon and me to chat for a moment.

"This is nice," Simon said, eyes fixated on the sight before us.

I hummed in agreement, but my mind lingered on my conversation with Xavier, particularly about Arthur and Clayton. They had made it work after all these years; Clayton was bonded with his mate before Arthur. And if Simon and I could work out our past and be happy and in love, Xavier could achieve that with Sam, too. He had to.

Simon, in his wolf form, nudged my neck with his nose. "You're thinking too hard again."

I leaned into him. "So was Xavier."

"About Sam?"

My eyes met his. "You overheard us?"

He shook his head. "Gut feeling. I'm sure he was nervous to announce they were dating, and I think he was worried about what others would think about it. And besides, he's related to you. Overthinking's in your genes."

"Unfortunately," I mused.

"Fortunately, Sam's the most patient person I know," Simon said. "And we've all got his back. They'll be fine."

"And, with the treaties Xav's putting into place, there'll be more backing him. Arthur and Clayton said they'd be willing to help him branch out with the packs beyond the state line. Clayton has extended family there."

Simon leaned into me. "Sounds like Xavier's going to be busy."

"I'll make sure he doesn't spread himself too thin. He's got a great group of betas by his side, and if anything, I don't mind visiting other packs; it's been a while since I've had to travel for pack business. Of course, I sure hope you'd tag along."

"It would probably feel more like a vacation than a business trip. I've heard those packs hardly have any issues."

"True. Maybe we could start with something closer to home for a vacation, though. I think it'd be nice to visit them," I said, raising my nose toward the Northern Lights Pack. I'd imagine they were busy with pack relations and deciding whether Rina would take over the pack for them, but Arthur insisted we visit anytime. "Arthur and Clayton's pack is beautiful, and the view of the mountains and the lake is just as lovely this time of year. You'd like it there."

"I'm sure Arthur has some embarrassing stories from when you were just a kid."

"I'm sure he does," I said.

"He did say something about how clumsy you were."

"Still am," I corrected. "Didn't he tell you about how I ran into him?"

Simon snorted. "A real cliffhanger."

"Very funny." I nudged him. "We should probably head back before Xavier thinks we ran off to elope."

His eyes seemed to shine with amusement. "That doesn't sound like a bad idea, actually."

"Except he'd never forgive us for not inviting him or allowing him to plan it out for us."

He shrugged. "We could just have multiple ceremonies. One for just us and a formal one later. He doesn't have to know."

My cheeks flushed, aware that despite the light banter, we hadn't broached the subject of marriage. While a mate bond was leagues more permanent and significant, many mated wolves married shortly before or after completing the bond. Especially now that most werewolves remained in their human forms, bearing a ring and holding ceremonies were the norm.

Maybe it was too soon to envision a ceremony for us, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about wedding rings and vows. Hell, I'd have written them down by now, but we haven't left each other's sides long enough for me to do so without him knowing.

But Xavier's declaration with Sam did give me a few ideas that required less writing. Now, to pull it off was a different story. I'd have to hope I don't burn any kitchens down and somehow find enough time away to prep and practice.

Regardless, it'd be worth it in the end, even if it meant facing the wrath of Loreta for a ruined kitchen.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47.7K 1.4K 23
After Ethan was rejected he felt broken and betrayed. He is trying to cope with his feelings. With his siblings having mates and moving he feels horr...
1.2M 54.8K 25
Mate. For the shifting community, this is the term applied to the one person who is yours and yours alone; a soul mate. So imagine the shock Bianca f...
10.5K 382 17
Noel knows nothing but abuse at the hands of his alpha. Having suffered for years, he expects it will be this way until he dies. The only thing keepi...
8M 354K 66
Throughout the whole of Evan's life, he was convinced he was a sinner. Raised by his psychotic brother who was the Alpha of his pack, Evan believes t...