Planatae

By doodooferguson

In the empty, cold expanse of the Home Galaxy, life needs a cradle, a planet to spark it into existence. Giv... More

Starmap: Standard Space
Swindled
Stranded
Seeking
Proposal
Meeting
Lift-off
Stage Fright
Aftermath
Arrivals
Disembark
Introduction
Negotiations
Assault
(Another) Assault
Yigera
Prison
Break-In
Samples
Found
Backtrack
Rallying
Struggle
Escape

Surprises

133 66 145
By doodooferguson

"This place is designed, however poorly, to give people an exotic Caedish experience," Dani said. "That's what gets people to eat, drink, and gamble in here instead of eating, drinking, and gambling somewhere else." When Ricardia stayed silent, Dani continued, her voice growing softer. "Look. I'd only ask you to perform parts of the Nine or Tenth form. Just enough to interest people. Or, you could scrub dishes - and even worse."

"People don't seem to like Factors very much around here," Ricardia said.

"Oh, that's just the Purists. And they never leave the station to visit - usually," she amended. "So what do you say? We can help each other."

Ricarida regarded Dani, the first familiar presence she'd felt in a long time. But it was her Factor that was keeping her on this hollowed-out asteroid. What if it only got her into more trouble?

"It doesn't seem right to perform the Forms like that," she said finally." Dani suddenly got to her feet, closing the distance between them.

"You came to me," she said, voice now pitched hard. "I'm offering you a way out. You're the one who left the temple. What's it matter to you?" Ricardia flinched at the expression on the older woman's face.

"You wanna know 'what's worse' than dancing?" Dani continued. "Doing it with somebody inside you. We always need more pleasure girls."

Ricardia could only stare. She knew her mouth was likely gaping. But then a split-second later she felt a surge of that now-familiar anger. It was almost a comfort.

"I came here for help. Because I thought you would be someone who cared about another person in need. Not to make a deal. Or to sell myself!" She forced herself to turn away from Dani's intensity. "I'll figure something else out."

"Wait," Dani grabbed her arm, and Ricardia resisted the urge to scream, the touch too similar from the hacker's. But she saw the sudden guilt on her face, and her rage faded a bit.

"Look, you're right. We're both Caedish - far from the colony. We should stick together." She sighed, backed away. "I've lived here a long time, Ricardia. Places like Onyx change how you think. Sometimes you can't help but see an opportunity and what you can get out of it. The alternatives are usually worse."

Ricardia paused, thinking about that. She knew she couldn't ask Dani for her story - at least, not without explaining her own troubles. But she had a sudden moment of clarity. The Onyx she had encountered in the past day had been horrendous, to say the least, but something told her she was just scratching the surface of what this place could do to her. Did she really care about performing the Forms for non–ritual purposes? Or did it simply remind her too much of home? And if she was being honest with herself, this mildly-terrifying woman had offered the most help out of anyone so far.

"Okay," Ricardia said finally. Dani, who had evidently been studying her face for a reaction, gave her a careful smile.

"Alright... alright. Let me search the links for - what, southern city you said?" Dani began to murmur to herself. "...I can get the basic melodies at least. We'll clear part of the chamber for a stage."

"Wait," Ricardia interrupted. "You want me to start right now?"

Dani looked at her, genuinely confused. "I've got a business to run, little cousin. You don't change that for me. Tell me your sizing - I'll have Sana run down to a costume shop. People won't even notice what you have on, really."

Ricarda wanted to point out that anyone with a feed could simply check the links to see correct traditional attire, but that was the least of her concerns. Fighting this woman on anything seemed exhausting.

"Do you have any food, at least?" Ricardia asked.

"Oh, right." some of that guilty expression floated to the surface again. "You can rest in an apartment for a few hours. I can have some food and water sent from the kitchen."

"Thank you," Ricardia answered, and realized she actually meant it. Since her unfortunate arrival at the warehouse, Onyx's overhead lights had dimmed, then brightened once again. It had been a long time since she'd had anything to sustain herself besides a quick rest, and Standard night was likely to come soon. With that, of course, came the wave of revelers. If she was going to do this, she wanted to be alert and ready.

"Yeah," Dani answered, already distracted by her preparations. "The rooms off the hallway outside should have cushions and a table. Someone will bring something over soon. Oh, Ricardia?" Dani added as she excused herself. "Don't be stupid. That's the best advice I can give you about this damned new home you found yourself in."

Thankfully, Dani had been good on her word. Ricardia had retreated to the rooms she had indicated, relishing in the soft cushion and long-awaited moment of peace. Eventually, Sana had stepped into the room, carrying a steaming bowl of potato-stew. Despite its simplicity, the food was well-spiced - not that it mattered. Ricardia would have scarfed down stale bread and dust at that point.

"So, you're staying?" Sana asked her. Without waiting for an answer, she disappeared for a moment, only to return with a wrapped package.

"Yes," Ricardia answered once she was back. Opening it revealed the same bright clothing that Sana herself was wearing. She held up the tunic, then glanced at Sana. "What style is this, anyway?"

Sana's brows knit together. "It's not Caedish?"

Ricardia laughed. "Only in Onyx, apparently."

Rather than leave again, as Ricardia was expecting, Sana sank down onto the cushion next to her.
"So it's true? You're gonna be a performer here?"

"Yes-" Ricardia began to respond, but stopped herself. She felt a pang of dread. Dani hadn't laid out specific compensation, working hours... the woman had just flattened her in an effort to stay.

Sana frowned for a moment. Then: "Are you a singer?"

"Singing? No." The question was unexpected. "She wants me to perform a traditional dance - from Caedum."

"Oh." Sana blinked. "Is it, like, special?" Ricardia smiled at that. "It's pretty special," she said. "Ten dances, Ten Forms. They all tell a different story. It's funny, actually," she continued. "This club doesn't have it quite right, but there's a lot here that reminds me of my family's - temple back home."

"Your family owns a temple? And you're here, in Onyx?" Sana shook her head. "You must have really gotten into some trouble then."

"Something like that." Ricardia said, looking anyware but Sana's face.  With the young hostess so close to her, Ricardia noticed how young she actually was. No older than her early twenties, in Standard years.

"You're not from here, right?" Ricardia asked her. Sana's face darkened. "Most people aren't," she answered, avoiding the question. But then a thought must have crossed her mind, and she brightened up. "You know, if you need a place to stay, you're welcome to spend a few nights at my place." She gave Ricardia a small, almost shy smile. Her demeanor, away from the job, was completely different. Ricardia returned the look. She knew better than to turn down a potential friend in a place like this.

"Thank you," she said. "I hadn't even thought about it, but that would solve a huge problem."

"Great!" Sana beamed. "Okay - well, I have to get back to work now. But I'm excited!"

"For what?" Ricardia, asked bemused.
"For what? Your show!" And with that, she hurried off and left Ricardia to finish her meal.

POV SWITCH

The booming percussion was growing more frequent, Jasper realized, as he cut through the waves. The resort complex, once a blurry shape on the horizon, had since come into focus. Below him, under the surface, fish and other creatures thrashed in alarm. Amidst them were small nimble aquajets, piloted by the Alto II natives. Both Jasper and the others were moving in the same direction - it seemed like the decision to gather at the resort was the general consensus. After all, it was the largest, most secure structure in the area.

Every few moments Jasper stole a glance at the sky above him - anything longer, and he was worried it would debilitate him. The pleasure cruise had sunk lower in the sky, more details apparent. Was it trying to escape by reaching the planet's surface? He doubted a ship of that design would have much in the way of self-defense. The thought of the potential destruction made him shudder.

Pay attention, the Old One murmured. We're getting close. By that, she meant the resort. The terrain around him had shifted by this point; he could see structures rapidly approaching. Although they looked like odd little rafts atop the water's surface, he knew the bulk of the buildings were located under the waves. Because of this, he slowed down a little, making sure he matched the directional guidance of streets and pathways far below him. Posts, erected in much the same manner as the buildings themselves, stood tall, helping him navigate without constantly looking down.

Nearing the resort, his dinghy and the aquajets were joined by a score of other craft, all headed in the same direction. Jasper spotted tourists, locals, and workers alike, all sharing the same panicked expression. It seemed everyone had been taken by surprise.

I wonder why they all had the same idea as us, he mused.

Check your feed, was the answer. Pulling up the display for a moment, he saw that normal communications had been overridden by a local alert. It seemed as though the choice had been made anyway to gather in case of further attack.

The resort complex boasted a huge, bustling dock that ringed the entire structure. Spotting a gap in the moored craft as he approached, Jasper angled towards it, indicating with waved hands and a shout that he had claimed the space for himself. The boat had barely secured itself to the dock's magnetized strip before Jasper leaped off, hustling towards the complex's main entrance. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35K 3.5K 31
Tales from the Juggernaut #1. Complete. Wattys 2018 shortlist. WHAT IS THE SECRET OF THE JUGGERNAUT? *PRAISE FOR THE JUGGERNAUT* *** Good story, grea...
3.6K 830 20
2100. A mysterious ship, nicknamed the Chimera, appears in Martian airspace. It bears the symbol of the international space agency, the BASE, but the...
397 59 10
Via Astralis is a daughter of Chief Navigator Patria Astralis, the planetary governor of the Trappist-1E Colony in the Aquarius constellation. As the...
4.6K 751 26
Tristan is a Quiz Bowl star. Vyrsa is from the stars. But is their interstellar romance written in the stars? *** Following a successful heist on a r...