House of Cards, percy jackso...

Oleh melpomelody

A house of cards ━ one wrong move and it's all fallen apart. Just like that. And it's all your fault. ... Lebih Banyak

House of Cards / Play the Cards Right
Mixtape
Act One ━━ The Lightning Thief
i. Sticky Fingers (Don't Trust Genna Archer!)
ii. The Key to Lying?
iii. Bullfighting Showdown
iv. Old Habits Die Hard
vi. Red Team's Loss (And Sea God's Son)

v. Talent Shows

324 14 1
Oleh melpomelody

house of cards
v. talent shows

━━━━━ GENNA WASN'T SURE if the stench of sewage would ever leave her nose. Luckily, no one else seemed to pay her much mind after the whole "bathroom incident". (It was a lot more dramatic than it sounds.) No one curled their nose at her, or grimaced as she walked by, or anything like that. If they had ... well, Percy would be a dead boy. Which would suck for him he was just starting to have a normal routine at Camp Half-Blood.

               That was the odd thing the normal routine. It felt like nothing should go back to normal after everything that has happened. The Minotaur attack, Percy managing to defeat the Minotaur, the odd dream Genna had that very night, the bathroom incident. It made her feel like she was going crazy with how normal everything was. In all honesty, Genna liked routines they helped her keep her days straight, her mind at ease (somewhat, at least; having ADHD kept your mind pretty muddied), and helped her feel a bit of normalcy, even if the routine wasn't normal. But now? The Camp Half-Blood routine was driving her crazy. The summer solstice was getting closer every day, and nothing was being done. It was like everyone was acting like nothing was wrong especially when everything felt wrong. It felt like the whole camp was holding its breath, waiting for the bubble to finally burst. Despite all this, Genna went back to her routine, acting like she hadn't been doused with toilet water. The only interesting thing was watching Percy trying (and failing) most activities he tried; she had a lot of amusement watching him lose his foot race against some wood nymphs.

               Percy was trying just about everything you could at Camp archery, foot racing, wrestling, metalwork. Anything he could, Percy tried it. They wanted to see what he was good at, that was a pretty good indicator of who his father could be. So far, they didn't know. Genna was taking a step back, letting him try everything. She wasn't the one assigned to help Percy settle into camp life (and she thanked the gods for it or, thanked Chiron). This was not her problem until Percy made it her problem.

               It had been like that since their chat at the canoe lake. Percy gravitated towards Genna, like he wanted to be friends with her or, truly friends instead of just classmates that coexisted for Grover's sake. Genna furled her nose at him each and every time, but Percy didn't get the memo he kept reaching out, no matter what.

               Oftentimes, when Genna wanted to hide away (to get out of chores or to get out of practice), she would hide in the amphitheater. It was an odd place, sure, but it did the trick if Genna sat in the right row, or slid into the footrests, she was completely invisible if people just skimmed over the place. Maybe it wasn't the most comfortable, but Genna made due. It wasn't like her brothers were ever going to really notice all the shirts she stole to make a makeshift pillow out of.

               Genna thought she was able to deal with Percy constantly reaching out until he found her in the empty amphitheater. He huffed and sat down hard on the bench Genna hid behind. He braced his feet on the seat below him and leaned back against the bench behind him nearly leaning over Genna. The daughter of Hermes was stunned to see him and froze, which allowed Percy to rant; "This is so stupid! Annabeth thinks just because my dad's a Greek god, that I automatically know how to read Ancient Greek. Doesn't she know that this is basically a whole new language for me?!" Genna had been so preoccupied with trying to finish the stupid I SPY book she had nicked in the Big House, that she hadn't responded.

               Soon, it became their routine, despite what Genna wanted. Every afternoon after the summer activities were completed, or even in the morning before, Percy would find Genna in the empty amphitheater. Sometimes, she would be trying to complete the I SPY book she had stolen, other times she'd be reading some Ancient Greek play (or trying to read, Genna wasn't an avid reader, mind you), or even trying to patch holes in her pants or sharpen her sword. Genna wasn't looking for new friends, even if she didn't have many now. She wasn't good at making friends not the most socially adept person around, and had trouble picking up the clues when people wanted her to shut up. Percy seemed to have figured out all this, and yet, still went out of his way to talk to her. Some of her smiled at it, the other half the majority of her wanted to puke.

               Today, Percy sat on the bench Genna was hiding behind again. He started with, "Why does Clarisse call you Twinkle Toes?"

               A loud groan erupted from the space between the two benches Genna hid between.

               Percy raised his eyebrows. "Touchy subject?"

               "Shut up, Jackson," snapped Genna, trying to smack him from where she lay, but Percy only grinned and leaned away. "That's a stupid nickname!"

               "I think it's funny!"

               Genna craned her neck to narrow her eyes on him. "'Course you would, Bathroom Boy," she sneered.

               The smile melted off his face. Percy grumbled and rolled his eyes. "Fine, fine. But, really why Twinkle Toes? Did you, like, really like Sketchers when you first came to Camp?"

               Despite herself, Genna snorted at the question. "No, I danced as a kid. 'Parently, Twinkle Toes is an appropriate name for a kid that danced."

               Percy's brows furrowed. "You danced?"

               Genna sat up, giving Percy a disgruntled look. "Yes. And? You say that like it's shocking."

               "Yeah, 'cause it is."

               She rolled her eyes. "Forget it, Percy. Clarisse really only calls me Twinkle Toes 'cause she stole it from Avatar; The Last Airbender."

               "Well ..." He looked at her a little bit closer. "Can you airbend? Like Aang?"

               "Can you shut up?"

               Percy only grinned at her. "Well, Twinkle Toes"

               "Call me that again and I'll start calling you Toilet Head."

               "you missed it this time, Genna. I totally just screwed up again."

               "Shocking ..." Genna stuck out her tongue, poking a needle through her jeans with a thread of yarn following suit. She was trying to stitch a small bow into her jeans, but it was looking more like a disturbed snake. She doesn't know how, but it was.

               Percy pursed his lips. "You could try and have more interest."

               "Oh, I'm sorry, Percy." Genna rolled her eyes. "It's totally not like you're bugging me."

               "Find a better hiding spot, then,"  he huffed. "So you don't want to hear about my total failure this time?"

               "Oh, I do," hummed Genna. "Really. It brings me joy seeing you embarrass yourself."

               He threw the redhead a nasty look. "You already know I'm no good at archery." He started counting on his fingers. "Same with wrestling. No foot-racing, either. Homer's not as bad as it was Annabeth still acts like I punched her with every word I say but I don't get a headache as much as I used to."

               "That's good, I suppose ..." mumbled Genna, taking the stitches out of her jeans; now the snake looked disturbed, only with half its body.

               "Well, now we can add those kids at the forges to a list of people who hate me," continued Percy, starting to notice what Genna was doing. He leaned closer, narrowing his eyes on the orange yarn.

               Genna stopped, frowning at him. "You mean, Hephaestus's kids?"

               "Sure, if that's their dad." Percy waved his hand, shrugging.

               "What'd you do to make them hate you?"

               "Luke took me over there to see if I was any good, but " Percy winced, curling his lips down. "Well, I accidentally threw a sword into a project they've been working on. Like, I hammered it and it flew off the anvil."

               Loudly, Genna snorted, making him look at her hard. "Oh, yeah, they hate you now," she agreed.

               Percy pursed his lips at her. "What are you doing?"

               "Trying to make a stitch in my pants," she answered easily. "What does it look like to you?"

               "A wonky snake."

               "Dammit ..." Genna grumbled, ripping out the rest of the orange stitching. "I was trying to make a bow, but it just looks like " She waved her hand angrily, the orange yarn trailing after like an angry dragon. "A wonky snake."

               "So there are things you aren't good at," Percy decided, crossing his arms and leaning back. "That makes me feel better."

               Genna sat up, giving him a nasty look. "I'm good at things! Look I'm better at foot-racing than you! And archery!"

               "You have to be good at archery," drawled Percy, rolling his eyes. "Your last name's Archer, Genna. Being good at archery is, like, the requirement for you."

               She scowled. "I'm better at metalwork than you. I didn't toss a sword into a project they've been working on for ages."

               "That was an accident!" Percy flushed and rolled his eyes. "Geez, acting like a guy can't make a mistake ..."

               "Like the mistake of you dousing me in toilet water?"

               "I said I'm sorry!"

               "You don't sound very sorry. From what I remember, you said it wasn't your fault." Genna turned an ear towards him. "So, where is the 'I'm sorry, Genna, for dousing you in toilet water when you weren't the one trying to shove my head into a toilet'."

               "Well, now, I don't think you deserve an apology from me." Percy rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

               "You doused me in toilet water!" shrieked Genna.

               "If Clarisse hadn't tried to shove my head in a toilet, I wouldn't have had to!" argued Percy.

               "I'm gonna punch you," she promised.

               He rolled his eyes. "No, you won't "

               Thud!

               "Ow!" Percy yelped, cradling his shoulder.

               "You need to start realizing that I mean it when I say I'm gonna punch you." Genna wagged a finger at him.

               "You could've stabbed me with that needle!"

               "Oh, please." She rolled her eyes, flicking some hair out of her face. She waved the silver needle in front of his nose. "It wouldn't have killed you."

               "But it would've hurt!"

               "Yeah, that's the whole point of a punch, genius," drawled Genna, rolling her eyes.

               He sent her a nasty look, and Genna huffed. "Okay ... I'm sorry," she choked out the words like they physically pained her. "I'm sure the Hephaestus kids don't hate you too much."

               "You're really great at helping people feel better, Genna, you know that?" Percy rolled his eyes.

               The redhead curled her lip. "Shut up. I'm trying to be nice here."

               "You're trying so hard, huh?"

               Genna turned and threw her legs over the bench Percy sat on. She pulled herself up, sitting beside him. Her fingers curled around the end of the bench as she nudged Percy. "So ... what have you been good at?"

               For a moment, Percy frowned at her. "Well ..." He picked at the skin around his fingers. "I dunno."

               She frowned back. "There's gotta be something you're good at. I mean, besides exploding bathrooms. There's no way you're completely useless."

               Percy made a disgruntled face. "Thanks, Genna."

               "I'm serious this time, Percy," she admitted. "Everyone has something they're good at. Silena, from Cabin Ten, she's amazing with pegasi. Will, Son of Apollo, he's one of the best medics, like, ever. Luke's one of the best swordsmen we've had in some hundred years. Everyone has a talent, some are just ..." she shrugged, "harder to find."

               "That's something like what Luke said," Percy admitted. "He said I might just be a jack-of-all-trades."

               "And jack-of-all-trades are just as cool!" Genna nudged Percy. "You never know what card they have up their sleeve."

               "He called you a jack-of-all-trades," the black-haired boy added.

               She blew a raspberry, tilting her head back. "I'm good at archery and am a decent swordsman."

               Percy narrowed his eyes on her. "So what's your talent then, if you're not a jack-of-all-trades? As a daughter of Hermes and all."

               "Oh." Genna shifted on the concrete bench. "Well, like I said, Luke's an amazing swordsman. Connor and Travis are really good at two-timing their opponents honestly, I used to be jealous that they had each other. Always there to have someone with you, you know? Cecil and Alice are both good talkers. They could probably sell you anything."

               Percy raised his eyebrows. "O-kay. But what about you? Are you, like, the prodigy archer here?"

               "I said I'm good at archery, not that I'm a prodigy," corrected Genna. "Besides, I'd rather be a jack-of-all-trades. You have better chances at surviving that way. I mean, that way when you fight a monster and you've lost your best weapon let's say it's a sword you can use a knife instead. Or a spear. Or a bow, even."

               Percy looked at Genna with an incredulous look. "You think more than I thought you did."

               There was a beat of silence, then Thud!

               He yelped and Genna sneered. "Say that again and I won't be punching your shoulder, asshole." She jabbed him in the chest with her pointer finger. "I'll have you know, I think a lot!"

               "I didn't mean it that way!" he insisted, raising his hands. "I mean it, like, you think about things I never had to think about. You think about surviving while I was thinking about what I wanted for lunch or something."

               She gave him a disgruntled look. "Yeah, yeah. Sure, that's what you meant."

               "I'm being honest!" Percy was insistent, leaning closer to Genna. "I always just thought you were, just ..." He shrugged. "I dunno. I never had to think about any of that stuff before."

               The crease between Genna's brows softened. She sighed and looked off. "It's not just me thinking like that Percy. Everyone at this camp thinks like that. Like Annabeth said knowingly or not, they want a good monster fight. To see if all the training they put in was worth anything. And ..." Her lips pursed and she looked down. "And they want to be noticed. They wanna say they survived a fight like that and won."

               "You want to be noticed?"

               Genna didn't look at Percy. "... Doesn't everyone?"

               He didn't respond, choosing instead to look away. Genna realized that she was right like everyone, Percy also wanted to be noticed. But, like everyone again, he didn't want to admit it. Even still, he was trying to pretend that he wasn't hurt or lost. Even after losing his mother the way he did. After learning his father is a god, and doesn't really care too much. Genna couldn't be upset at him for it; she was the same way.

               She hated the uncomfortable silence, so instead, she decided to break it with a poorly-timed, not-so-funny joke. "Since you wanted to know what my talent was," she considered for a moment, just barely rocking back and forth in her seat, "I'd say my talent is blowing things up."

               Percy blinked and looked up. "Is that figuratively or literally?"

               The redhead only grinned. "You can become one with plumbing while I can have fun with explosives."

               "What does that mean?"

               She stood, dusting off her pants. "I ..." She considered for a moment, tucking the needle and orange yarn into her hand. A look flashed across her face a pained expression of old memories. "Forget it."

               "Well, if you're talent's blowing things up, I'd hate to see you in any talent shows," admitted Percy.

               "Oh, ha-ha." Genna rolled her eyes. She hooked her arm underneath Percy's and pulled him to his feet. "C'mon, Toilet Boy, you have you're first sword-fighting lesson. And I am not missing it."

Thursday afternoon, three days since Percy arrived at Camp Half-Blood, he finally had his first sword-fighting lesson. Everybody from Cabin Eleven gathered in the big circular arena, where Luke would be their instructor.

               If he was honest, Percy was almost excited about this lesson. He was sick of Homer, Clarisse pummeled him every time he stepped onto the wrestling match, and there was no way Chiron was ever allowing Percy to sit in on another lesson of archery. He enjoyed canoeing, but being able to canoe across the lake faster than others really wasn't going to help him save his life in any other circumstance than if whatever was chasing him couldn't swim and it wasn't heroic, either. No one said anything, but he knew they were waiting for Percy to be amazing at everything. That seemed only the logical thing; the boy who could beat the Minotaur surely could be one of the best campers around. Unfortunately for them, Percy seemed to be the worst.

               They started out with the basics stabbing and slashing, using some straw-stuffed dummies in Greek armor. Percy hoped he did okay. Some of what Genna told him started to make more sense; the stuff about battle reflexes and ADHD. And this might just be the thing he was good at. But a problem was already starting to show he couldn't find a blade that felt right in his hands. Either they were too heavy, too light, or too long. Luke tried his best to fix Percy up, but even he agreed that none of the practice blades seemed to work. He tried to not let it get to him, but it was starting to feel like nothing was ever going to go his way.

               Soon, they moved on to dueling in pairs. Percy was grateful when Luke announced he would be Percy's partner. However, that gratefulness started to disappear when Genna and some of her brothers glanced over with almost apologetic looks. Even some of Cabin Eleven's inhabitants started snickering behind Genna.

               "Genna," started Percy, "what does that look mean?"

               She grimaced and her brother was it Travis or Connor, Percy struggled to tell them apart leaned in closer to Percy and whispered, "Good luck. Luke's the best swordsman in the last three hundred years." He snickered and elbowed Percy. The boy stumbled, not expecting it.

               He grew nervous. Silently, he glanced Luke's way, the blond was now spinning his blade with expertise. "Maybe he'll go easy on me."

               Travis snorted. "Yeah. Easy ..." He shared a look with Genna, who pursed her lips. He shrugged and went to pair off with his brother, Connor. They weren't twins Percy didn't know which one was older but they looked like a pair of twins.

               "Why couldn't you be my partner?" Percy gestured to Genna. "We're the same height, wouldn't that make it easier?"

               The daughter of Hermes spread her hands, a Celestial bronze sword leaning against her leg. Was that a broadsword? Percy still struggled to tell them apart after days of weapon lessons. "Ask Luke, not me. Besides, he's probably just gonna make an example out of you."

               A minute in, Percy realized Genna was right he was being made an example of. Luke showed Percy a couple of thrusts and parries and shield blocks, but it felt like Percy was just a punching bag more than anything. With every swipe, he got a little more battered and bruised.

               "Keep your guard up, Percy," he'd say, then smack Percy in the ribs with the flat of his blade.

               Percy gasped, raising his sword and shield. His side ached and he started to reach for it

               "No, not that far up!" Luke barked. Then Whap! And it continued like that for some more minutes: "Lunge!" Whap! "Now, back!" Whap!

               Percy was soaked in sweat by the time Luke called for a break. He winced, hissing softly as he checked some new bruises on his arms. Everybody swarmed the drink coolers, and from the back of the group, Genna gave Percy a tight-lipped smile.

               "Was I right?" she asked.

               Percy grumbled in response.

               She grinned. "Figured so." She got two cups of water, holding one out to Percy. Her red hair was tied back in a braid an intricate one, maybe it was a fishtail braid? "It's not so bad," she told him. "You're doing better than I did my first lesson."

               "Did Luke smack you around?" he asked.

               "Yeah, actually." Genna took a long sip of water. From the top of the rim, she looked Luke's way. "I think he went harder on me 'cause I'm his sister."

               Percy glanced over towards Genna's older brother. Luke was on his second glass of water. Only this time, instead of drinking it, he poured it over his head. Percy thought this was a good idea, and before he could think it through, raised his cup and dumped it over his head. Genna made a disgruntled noise and stepped back. "What was that?" She frowned at him.

               He shrugged. "Saw Luke do it." This answer didn't seem to impress Genna, who only frowned at him like he was someone she had never met. Almost immediately, Percy felt better. Strength surged back into his arms. The sword he was borrowing didn't feel so awkward.

               "Okay, everybody circle up!" ordered Luke suddenly. "If Percy doesn't mind, I want to give you a little demo."

               "Oo, maybe I spoke too soon 'bout this ..." Genna mumbled under her breath.

               But Percy could still hear her. And now, Percy did mind if Luke used him for a demo. He minded a lot. But there wasn't much of a choice to back out, not when everyone was already gathering around. Cabin Eleven looked pretty excited to see him get beaten to a pulp suppressing smiles and exchanging amused glances. Quickly and silently, Genna placed her hand on Percy's back and pushed him right towards Luke. When he turned to glare, she only grinned at him. Luke told everybody he was going to demonstrate a disarming technique: how to twist the enemy's blade so that they had no choice but to drop their weapon.

               "This is difficult," Luke stressed to the onlookers. "I've had it used against me. No laughing at Percy, now. Most swordsmen have to work years to master this technique."

               Luke demonstrated the move with Percy in slow motion. Sure enough, Percy's sword clattered out of his hand.

               "Now in real time," he said after Percy retrieved his weapon. He fixed his grip around the leather hilt, the burning feeling in his arms and legs had turned into a buzzing feeling. His muscles tingled with anticipation. "We keep sparring until one of us pulls it off. Ready, Percy?"

               The black-haired boy nodded, and Luke came after him. Percy gasped and flung his sword. Somehow, he kept to keep Luke from getting too close to the hilt of his sword he had stepped back, swiped his sword to the left, and knocked Luke's sword away. The buzzing was slowly fading, but Percy was starting to feel more alive. He was somehow keeping pace with Luke, even if it was for a few seconds. His breathing started to get quicker, but he managed to parry a thrust Luke launched at him. He didn't even think any of this through it was like muscle memory, as if he had spent his whole life fighting. His mind was racing as it always was but, for once, it felt like his body was starting to catch up.

               Percy stepped forward with an attack of his own, but Luke deflected it easily but there was a change in his face. Luke's eyes narrowed, and he started to press with more force. The buzzing was gone entirely now; the sword grew heavy in Percy's hand. The balance wasn't right, somehow Percy knew this. He also knew it was only a matter of seconds before Luke took him down. So what's the harm in trying?

               Percy clenched his teeth and pushed his blade forward. It hit the base of Luke's hilt, and before Luke could throw Percy off, he twisted. He put his whole weight into the downward thrust

               Clang! Luke's sword rattled against the stones. Percy was shocked to find the tip of his blade only a couple of inches away from Luke's undefended chest.

               The other campers were silent.

               Percy flushed. He lowered the sword and stepped back from Luke. "Um, sorry."

               For a moment, Luke was too stunned to speak. "Sorry?" His scarred face broke into a grin. "By the gods, Percy, why are you sorry? Show me that again!"

               Percy didn't want to. The short burst of manic energy he had was completely gone by now, but Luke insisted. This time, there was no contest the moment their swords connected, Luke hit the hilt of Percy's sword and sent his weapon skidding across the floor.

               After a long pause, somebody in the audience offered, "Beginner's luck?"

               From the front of the group, Genna frowned at Percy. She didn't look angry, just ... Well, Percy couldn't read the look on her face. But he never could. The only thing he was starting to really learn about her was no matter how friendly and open she seemed, Genna wasn't friendly and open. Despite how she acted, Genna was careful to not be too honest, too vulnerable.

               Luke wiped the sweat off his brow. He appraised Percy with a fresh, new interest. "Maybe," he murmured. "But I wonder what Percy could do with a balanced sword ..."

DEC. 23RD, 2023 / in honor of the two episode premiere, here's a chapter for house of cards (ignore how it was released three days ago pls ,,)!! i haven't seen the episodes yet because i'm waiting for the whole season to be out- or at least half the season

i can't enjoy things normally LMAO i become literally consumed by whatever media it is, especially if its a tv show. idk why i'm like that, but i will watch nothing else for MONTHS and just binge the show again and again. so i know if i watch the 2 episodes i'll literally start eating the walls waiting for more episodes to come out - so i'm just not watching them until they're all out 😭

genna and percy are so childish LMAOO it's so funny writing the scenes where they bicker bc they go IN on each other 😭😭 they have no grace for the other

i know this is a really short chapter (especially compared to the previous chapters) but i really wanted to get it out, okay? i am just a girl so let me be just a girl

i still giggle when i write fight scenes - every time i write "thrust", the 12yo boy in me is literally losing his mind. and i think that will always be the case, unfortunately.

anyways, opinions?? thoughts??

(not edited nor proofread)

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

9.2K 7 1
so maybe the world is crumbling, but I'll be standing next to you. the ocean and the traveler. ❝𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒂 𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒈𝒆𝒅𝒚.❞ ...
811K 28.9K 44
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅" "Thread can be cut with scissors" ...
236K 8.7K 114
All's Fair in Love and War The Lightning Thief: Complete The Sea of Monsters: Complete The Titans Curse: Complete The Battle of the Labyrinth: Compl...
27.3K 1K 35
"HOW NICE OF YOU TO JOIN ME, NATALIA.." "IT'S ACTUALLY NATASHA, BUT, CLOSE ENOUGH.." "WHATEVER DUMBASS.." --- loss noun plural noun: losses 1...