Fast Lane ━━ Brian O'Conner

By toastrin

❛ we were a 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 love, too wild to last. too rare to break. ❜ More

𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐏𝐇.
𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐓.
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄.
𝟬𝟭. look beneath the surface
𝟬𝟮. a sense of belonging
𝟬𝟯. revolving burst of emotion
𝟬𝟰. constraints of triviality
𝟬𝟱. toward a new sun
𝟬𝟲. seething with hidden life
𝟬𝟳. see with the naked eye
𝟬𝟴. tender lips and fingers
𝟬𝟵. running in circles
𝟭𝟬. a means to an end
𝟭𝟭. too deep to climb out of
𝟭𝟮. in the sands of time
𝟭𝟯. stuck in a limbo
𝟭𝟰. monsters among men
𝟭𝟱. a house of cards
𝟭𝟲. appearances are shallow
𝟭𝟳. the end began with a kiss
𝟭𝟴. the fuel of my fire
𝟭𝟵. divide the constant tide
𝟮𝟬. turning of a wheel
𝟮𝟭. hope for what could be
𝟮𝟮. anger is like drinking poison
𝟮𝟯. surrender to the wind
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎.
𝟮𝟱. both worlds are deceptive
𝟮𝟲. in the heart of deceit
𝟮𝟳. a shot in the dark
𝟮𝟴. promise is a fairy tale
𝟮𝟵. cease to be at peace
𝟯𝟬. nothing either good or bad

𝟮𝟰. failure is not fatal

382 16 0
By toastrin

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
the best of times, the worst of crimes

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐁eing on the other side of the law wasn't new to Josephine Toretto but it wasn't ideal either. Definitely not at this length where she had to go to great measures just so the federal government couldn't get to her and her family. They were fugitives now, hunted by the same system Josephine had once believed in. They were running. They had been running ever since they broke Dominic out of that prison transport bus, and every single minute of tranquility they had counted.

     Dominic was out, but the walls were closing in. I suppose Josephine finally understood why it was hard for her brother to contact them all those years ago now that she was in the same shoes as him. It didn't fit snugly with her nimble feet but the Toretto girl kept walking with the shoes with a certain will and stubbornness.

     Brian had been by her side every step of the way. After all, the former federal agent was now a wanted fugitive, too. Josephine wanted to say it was her fault but Brian wouldn't change it for the world. He was in this predicament because he wanted to. It wasn't because she or Dominic made him do this. His decision may have influenced the Toretto family but it was all his━Brian had chosen this path himself and the thought of Josephine being there made it easier for him to sacrifice things.

     Because he would do anything for her. Josephine had always been his lifeline, and he was her sanity. He intends to keep his promise to himself. He wasn't going to leave her again. Or let her go. Not unless some godforsaken situation happened and the only choice was to let her go so she'd be safe.

     Driving suddenly felt like the most excruciating thing in the world which Josephine thought she would never say. She and Brian had been exchanging positions behind the wheel as they traveled miles and miles to unfamiliar places to get away. Suddenly, the four seats of a 1971 Nissan Skyline KPGC10 GT-R or Hakosuka had been their temporary home for the past couple of months along with the cheap motels they find along the unfamiliar road ahead of them.

     It wasn't comfortable or ideal and their struggles with money had been prominent since. Hell, Josephine couldn't remember the last time they had a decent meal.

     Despite it all, they had been each other's pillars through this hard journey. Well, the couple did sometimes get into short arguments about their current situation but it always ended with one another caving into each other's arms. Fighting was not the solution to all of this. Josephine and Brian knew that. They were just tired and worn out from all the running they'd been doing, and these days, the only thing that was keeping them sane and alive was each other.

     Brian stirred beside her on the single bed of a cheap motel room in the middle of South America. His hair had grown a little longer than last time, small curls of his dirty blond hair forming aimlessly in every direction. When his eyelids fluttered open, sleepy azure eyes met her own, instantly softening at the sight of her. A subtle smile graced the edges of his mouth and a gentle warmth enveloped his expression━as if everything about Josephine Toretto made him feel at ease.

     His arms snaked around her waist, pulling her closer to his bare chest. Josephine's hand reached for his cheeks, running her thumb gently against the skin under his eyes as she gazed at him softly, trying to engrave his face into her mind. He was something that she would never forget, and at this moment, their current situation didn't matter. Nobody knew them in this place, and for a minute, they weren't criminals or anything at all. They were just Brian and Jo, and nothing seemed to matter the most when they were just being that.

     "I love you, Jo." His voice sounded soft and hoarse as he whispered those three words to her. 

      His blue eyes shimmered, the dark in them large with affection and love. It was the first time he'd ever really said those words to her, but Josephine, somehow, always knew. They didn't need words, but hearing them escape from his mouth was like a dream she never wanted to wake up from. And Josephine loved him dearly, too.

     She smiled gently. "I love you, Brian."

    That day, they gave everything to each other. It was something that surpassed all their moments together. In their vulnerability, physically and emotionally, they found love, care, and loyalty. They showed each other every flaw, every bad thing about themselves, and embraced them with their raw and bare hands. Because in that space, Brian and Josephine had finally found everything they'd been searching for all this time, and they were contented with what they found.

     A few weeks had passed and the couple had found themselves on the road again, trying to find someplace away from the federal government's eyes. They both knew there was a manhunt sent out for them so they couldn't really stay in one place for a long time. Now they were on another adventure,  full of sleepless nights behind the wheel with nothing but each other although this time, they had a specific place to go to.

     The seaside city of Rio de Janeiro looked like a breath of fresh air in the early morning. A yawn escaped her mouth as she sat uncomfortably in the passenger seat as Brian drove the car up the steep hill of the favelas. She glanced at him, just as tired as he was, but Brian still had the energy to give her a faint smile and she caressed the back of his neck for comfort. Her gaze softened, noticing the dark bags under his eyes. He had been the one who was doing most of the driving because he'd wanted her to sleep more.

     She touched the back of his cropped dirty blond hair, running her palm against them. As per Brian's suggestion, Josephine cut his hair a few weeks back after he realized it was getting longer again. With a pair of scissors she borrowed from the front desk of the motel they stayed at, Josephine tried her best not to react as she chopped away the rest of his beautiful curls from the top of his head.

      After a while, Brian finally stopped on the side of the street, parking between two other vehicles. Josephine glanced out the window to see the same colorful houses stacked on top of each other like the rest of them around. A few kids and adults littered around them, trying to make a living with what they had. Two boys were sitting on the trunk of the car in front of them, staring at them with frowns on their young faces. Brian and Josephine gave each other a look before stepping out in the Brazil heat.

     "It's got to be it, right?" Josephine said, sounding a little unsure as she glanced around the rough neighborhood. It was Dom who had told them to go for Rio. The last thing he said was that they were going to find Vince there. 

     Brian pursed his lips as he observed the streets. Then he looked at her with a small tilt of his head. "Let's find out."

     His calloused hand found hers as they walked up the stairs of a narrow way up the hillside. Josephine hefted her sling bag over her shoulder, which had a few of the things they had, uneasily watching her every footstep and every person they walked past in the favela's winding, maze-like paths. 

     Brian was cautious with furrowed brows as he began to pick up pieces of something together. For some reason, he had an awful feeling and he squeezed Josephine's hand for reassurance. He wasn't dumb. He could see the men gathering up around them and even heard a click of a rifle. The threat was palpable.

     This time, they weren't trying to hide anymore. Josephine frowned, looking at each man who began to surround them with different kinds of weapons━knives, machetes, pistols, rifles, you name it. They were obviously trying to intimidate them and it was working because the couple wasn't looking for a fight and they were outnumbered. 

     Brian stopped, noticing how fast the situation was escalating as the armed civilians blocked their way further up. He eyed each of them, lingering on the threatening rifles slung around their shoulders. Josephine touched his forearm, sending him a silent warning which Brian easily understood as he went to turn around and leave with her.

     "Let's get out of here," Brian muttered.

     "Woah, woah, woah!" Suddenly, somebody else appeared. The voice was so familiar that the couple had to stop and turn to look at him. He spoke in Brazilian, telling off the arms around them. "Facil, comaradas. She's with me."

     The men lowered their weapons as Vince vouched for them. For the first time, a large smile slowly slipped on Josephine's face at the first familiar face she'd seen after years. Even Vince was laughing and he looked really glad to see her. After everything they'd been through and growing up together back in Los Angeles━Josephine still held a special place in the guy's heart. 

     Maybe not like before because he had realized that Josephine needed someone else she deserved and who deserved her and it wasn't him. He realized that now after he had found someone he deserved and who loved him like nobody else did.

     "Jo." Vince sauntered toward her and Josephine greeted him with a big hug, throwing her arms around his neck, the man returning it just as tight. He lifted her off her feet, still not noticing Brian patiently watching them. When he put her back down, Vince finally looked at him. His smile faded. "Buster."

     Brian didn't say anything but the corner of his lips lifted ever so slightly. There wasn't any tension between them anymore, and Josephine smiling softly at them was enough to make them forget about the animosity they had against each other years ago.

     "Come on," Vince sighed and he began walking up the steps, leading them further into the shantytown, casually pushing aside one of the armed men and urging the couple to follow him.

     "Dom here yet?" Brian asked, breaking the silence as they trudged into a narrower path that led up and up. His question made Josephine look at Vince who led them, anticipating for an answer about her brother.

     "No," Vince muttered.

     "When was the last time you heard from him?" Josephine asked.

     "A couple of weeks ago. Up in Ecuador somewhere."

     Josephine looked at Brian, a small worried frown encasing her features as the latter tried to give her a reassuring glance despite how unsure he felt about Dominic's whereabouts. He knew how important it was for Josephine to know that her brother was safe. It was to him, too. But right now, this was all they had and all they could do for the moment.

     "How does it feel?" Vince asked wryly.

     Brian furrowed his brows. "What's that?" 

     Vince turned. There was already a shit-eating grin on his face as he looked at Brian. "To be on the other side of a wanted poster?"

      Brian seemed to take his provocative question lightly as he merely looked at him with slight amusement. His eyes flickered to Josephine who was already looking at him, still pondering over her brother. He sent her a tight-lipped smile as he rubbed the back of her shoulders, and tried to reassure her about Dominic, muttering under his breath: "He'll show up."

     Food had never tasted so good until now. Josephine and Brian were famished. Their hunger was prominent as they practically inhaled the rest of the meal Vince and his partner, Rosa, had given them in their small apartment. Vince had found the love of his life and he had a child━a little boy whom Josephine already adored as Rosa let her hold him. The Toretto girl was proud that Vince had finally found someone who loved him the way he should be loved. He deserved that after everything that happened to him.

    "Dom's?" Rosa asked quietly, glancing over at her partner with a worried glint in her eyes as she carried their child.

     "Yeah," Vince sighed, feeling a little bad for the couple who seemed like they hadn't eaten in days. 

     After they satiated their hunger, Josephine went to help Rosa with the dishes, the kind woman letting her hold Nico as she did them instead. Brian had wanted to help but she made him stay put and converse with Vince around the dining table. Josephine wouldn't say she was good with kids but they always had a soft spot in her heart. She wouldn't say she wanted one either but if she was ever blessed with a child━Josephine just knew she'd give everything to them.

     Because as a child, she didn't always get what she wanted. Sure, she had loving parents who cared for her but they didn't have the chance to stay around too long. God took them back too early, and maybe that's why she always held a little resentment for their Creator. They didn't even get to see her be a teenager and become a woman who constantly pushed through all the challenges she had to face.

     Josephine smiled ever so slightly, the child giggling in her arms which made Rosa glance at them with warmth on her face as she finished the last of the dishes. The way she was so gentle with somebody else's kid━Rosa knew she could trust the girl. Josephine looked at her as Rosa said with a playful tone in Portuguese: "Time for bed, little one."

     "Aw." Josephine made a pouty face at the mother and her child, holding Nico to her chest as if she didn't want to let him go. The language of Brazil was fluent in her tongue as she spoke. "Can I bring him?"

     Rosa grinned. "Of course."

     They walked out of the small kitchen, walking past Vince and Brian in the living room where they sat around. Rosa bid her partner a small 'good night' in her native language and Vince smiled faintly, his voice quiet and gentle as he said the same. Josephine looked over at the men, holding Nico, and made eye contact with Brian. The way his blue eyes softened, his features calming down the slightest━seeing her with the baby struck something in his heart. A hint of a smile stayed on his lips when he looked away.

     Josephine had just put Nico down in his crib when she felt her throat tightened. Her smile faded, an uncomfortable frown slipping on her face as she quickly excused herself from Rosa. The woman watched her with a worried glance as she rushed to the bathroom, instantly throwing up on the toilet. It was a sickening feeling that she couldn't hide. At least not any longer. It began a few weeks ago, and Josephine had never been so afraid when she had a hunch.

   The signs were there. Ones that she tried so hard to ignore. But there was no way she could pretend that nothing was wrong with her. Josephine missed her last menstruation. The minute she realized that she almost wanted to crawl under her skin. Because how could she do this to Brian? To this unborn child that was growing inside of her? Their situation was not perfect. How in the hell did she let this happen? 

     She threw blame around to no one but herself. At some point, Josephine contemplated calling Mia at the nearest phone booth. Then she felt like throwing up again. She couldn't drag her into this. She made a promise not to. As long as she was alive, nobody could ruin Mia's life and dreams. That's all she ever wanted. She just had to suck it up a little longer until she figures out what to do. She always does anyway.

     Droplets of water dripped down her face as she looked up from the sink to the dirty mirror in the bathroom. Her grip tightened around the sink, holding herself up to her feet. The taste of bile lingered in her mouth. It was awful. She wiped her lips with the sleeves of her flannel, grimacing ever so slightly at the paleness of her skin. The dark bags under her eyes made her look like a corpse.

     Suddenly, she saw Rosa's reflection in the mirror. Her heart dropped as she turned around. Rosa looked like she already knew. Her head tilted ever so slightly, a sad smile on her face when she saw the look on hers. Josephine was terrified. Conflicted. She was only twenty-six. Not so old but not so young either. How could she know anything about taking care of a child? The thought of being a bad mother made her sick to the bones. Josephine wasn't scared easily but right now, she was scared shitless.

     "Does he know?" Rosa asked in Portuguese, her tone gentle and quiet enough to not let the men hear them.

     Josephine pursed her lips, shaking her head slightly. "No."

     As Rosa left to watch over Nico, Josephine found herself staring back at her reflection. The father of her child had to know either way. She wasn't sure how Brian was going to react but she knew him enough that he wasn't going to leave her. Not in a million years. Although she was afraid that she'd disappoint someone in the family for being too careless in their hard situation.

     Her head shook adamantly. Pushing her regrets and hesitation in the back of her mind as she wiped her face with her hands. Because if there was one thing she knew about her family it was that they never turned their backs on each other no matter what, and Josephine badly needed that reminder every time doubts crowd her mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 3.9K 16
⊰ Can someone so discreet as Han...fall for someone as flashy like Ella? ⊱ Stick around, you might find out. 🤍🖤🤍🖤🤍...
15.6K 663 21
Julianna 'Jules' Toretto the older sister to Mia and the youngest to Dom. She's a feisty and strategic racer who learned the best from her brother an...
6.2K 247 14
𝚊 𝚖𝚊𝚗 𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚐𝚞𝚒𝚕𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝 𝚗𝚎𝚎𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚘𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚎 𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚜 𝚒𝚏 𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚏𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚑...
748K 17.6K 48
"Heard about all the things you've done. And all the wars that you've been in. Heard about all the love you lost. It was over before it began. Heard...