Secrets In the Shadows (Syzyg...

By JanelleYurime

Samantha never thought that her life would turn into something she doesn't believe in. A life she never imagi... More

Announcement
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 18

23 5 0
By JanelleYurime

Samantha's POV

"Well, I guess that old woman knows something" Avery states.

As we walked towards her car, I couldn't help but reflect on the situation. "It's intriguing how she knew we would choose that particular book," I mused aloud. "It's almost as if she had been expecting us."

"Maybe she really was, considering what she said" she uttered in a low tone as she kicked some pebbles along the way.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, it's just.. all these happenings are making me feel dizzy. This nature is all new to me and it felt weird. I didn't even know that this kind of stuff does exist."

"Trust me I've been in your shoes before, and I'm still a bit progressing it all. But when everything became clearer to me and I figured out what was happening, that everything was starting to take a different turn. I got more intrigued about it even though I know that at some point it can be dangerous. There's this side of me being scared of what I get myself into. But there's this side of me as well that wants to know more about the situation, like I have a role to fulfil. You know that I always wanted a life where everything seems to be full of clouds and rainbows right? A life where I get a nice job and a big house for Aunt and myself and everything is just as perfect as I wanted. But all of the current unbelievable events that have been going on changed the perspective that I engraved in my mind along the way of growing up. I know I have something more to do, especially about myself. I thought I knew the person I am today, but the truth is I only know bits and pieces. And I want to cover up those holes that are making me incomplete. And you guys being here for me makes me feel at ease knowing I have someone to run into when everything falls apart" I felt that there were a lot of forces that were waiting for me. All eyes were on me, waiting for the right time to attack. I have a hint of what it is, or what they are. And I don't know what might happen if I don't get a grip on everything around me.

"Of course, I'm always here for you, me and Jessy. But to be honest, I'm freaking scared as shit" she said as she tapped my shoulder with a grimace that can be seen in her face. I gave her an appreciative smile to show my gratitude. Oh boy, I'm lucky as hell. I don't want to drag them into my mess. But knowing her, she wouldn't want me to be alone in any way possible. Even if she's pussy sometimes, I know she wouldn't coward when it comes to helping her friends.

"I know Aves, I'm scared as well"

Ever since we got to know each other, we're like a bundle of sticks that are hard to get separated, like we're meant to be stuck forever in each other's company. And I'm not complaining one bit because hell who am I to refuse such a miracle?

"I'm still confused though, about the voice that led us to this book. And why would she use me instead of directly saying it to you? Isn't that much easier?" she uttered with a deep thought.

"She"

"Yeah, she. And it's not the only thing that is bothering me" she says as she bit her bottom lip.

"Is there something else that you want to tell me?"

"Well, I... I felt sort of different things. when I heard it. Her voice.. held so much gentleness and softness.. and I couldn't clarify what was happening to me. I just felt something I wasn't supposed to feel" I can see her blood rushing to her face, making her look like a tomato.

"Oh" my eyes widen and I fight the urge to laugh. I think I know what exactly is happening. I just wonder who could she be.

"Then I guess you'll be exploring more with me" I smirked at her as I hopped into the car.

"What does that even suppose to mean?" she asks curiously as she hops in the driver's seat.

"Nothing.. but maybe one of the reasons she came to you was because you already got yourself involved from the beginning. Mostly because of the encounter with the guys that made her think of it, to show you what you were supposed to do and to lead you to the right way, on how you'd gonna deal with that situation," I plastered an innocent smile that made her eyebrows raised in confusion.

"But even if she didn't do that, I wouldn't ever get you into big trouble. Hell, I can't lay a hand on my best friend. I can even endure the things that they will do to me for once to share the pain you've been feeling every time you got into a fight just to defend us"

"But still, I wouldn't want that for you. It's enough for me to feel those things but not you guys.. I couldn't take that"

"You know, they're a bunch of idiots to treat you this way. You're a gem.. and you're supposed to be taken care of. Instead of making you go through this hell"

"We can't do anything about that. We don't know what's been running through their heads. But we're lucky enough to have comrades that'll help us"

"Who could that be?"

"Someone I haven't seen but I trust with my life"

"Wow.. that's unbelievable"

"Why's that?"

"You haven't trusted anyone for years after some bitches toyed with you, other than me and Jessy," she said with confusion laced in her voice.

"Well, let's just say she's like you guys. There's something in her that I see in the both of you and I have a strong connection with her.. but differently" I said softly as I felt a smile slowly forming on my face.

"I know that smile Samantha" I released a laugh as she said those words with a knowing tone.

"Sam I'm afraid that woman was right. What if something happens on our way home? I can't imagine myself some centimeters buried under the ground yet" She struggled to enter the key to the keyhole with her shaky hands so I obliged.

"We'll be fine" I assure her.

"Why are you so sure?" she asks as we hit the road.

"She's with us" I smiled at her as I felt my insides getting warmer. There's this happiness and a strong force again that I've been dying to feel every single damn time. It feels surreal.

"Who's she?"

"You'll know her"

"Geez Sam.. you're the one scaring me off" she uttered as she fidgeted on her seat uncomfortably.

"Relax..she won't bite. I'll let you know about her later. And you're sleeping at my house tonight. I don't want to worry about you being in the newspaper the next day exclaiming that your body was found dead," I say as I look out of the window.

She didn't say anything as she focused her eyes on the road with shaky knees.

Do you know that feeling when someone comes home to you after a long time of being far away? It felt like that whenever I sensed her presence. I got all excited and nervous at the same time. She's the only one who can make me feel this way. And it was something about a great connection between two people that I can't quite understand, where it all begins. I just woke up one day with those feelings that seemed to be attached to me. It's a feeling that is so bizarre yet familiar at the same time like that was engraved in my being without my prior knowledge. And it only intensified when I got to know the reason why my heart was beating so fast every time that presence was near, and who my heart was beating for.

"Hi"

I smile sweetly, hearing that angelic voice that seems to be music to my ears putting the worries that eating me at bay. I just hope everything will be okay and I can get the answers that I've been dying to know.

I opened the car window and savored the cold night air along with a perfume that over time I got so familiar with. I wonder how long could this last. I wake up every morning to get ready for school then afterwards I walk down the street towards my workplace, a small coffee shop downtown, and a club full of drunken teenagers. I don't know what I'm expecting to happen. But I just hope nothing worse that I can't handle.

What might be waiting for me?

"What are you thinking?" I look back at Avery seeming like she sensed my distress.

"My life, I wonder where this scenario will lead me"

"Don't think too much about it Sam"

"Can't help it"

The car stopped on the driveway and we headed inside the house. I turned on the switch and the whole living room lit up. My Auntie is probably asleep by now.

We head upstairs to my room. I put my books on my small desk to my left beside my nightstand before flopping down the bed. My eyelids were heavy by now and I don't think I can last for more than one minute before I fall asleep.

"Hey.. don't sleep on me. You said you'd give me details about this girl you've been crazy about"

"That can wait until tomorrow Aves. I just want to take a rest for now. Aren't you sleepy yet?"

"Nope. You woke up my whole system with this revelation of yours" she said with a small smirk.

I'm about to close my eyes when I feel the mattress sink in.

"She was the one you're talking about when we visited Olivia's haunted house isn't she?"

"She is"

"And what's about—

"Tomorrow. I promise I'll give you every bit of detail"

"Fair.. Should we tell this to Jess? You know her she'll go crazy when she finds out we've been keeping a secret from her"

"Yeah, you're right. But we'll leave behind about the whole supernatural thing. I don't think she will take it seriously"

​"Of course, she will. I know you're afraid Sam.. but she's our best friend and she might help us with this thing"

"Okay.. but not tomorrow, please? I'm not sure yet as to what to say"

"Okay, it doesn't need to be tomorrow. We'll tell her when you feel okay with it"

"Thanks"

"No prob"

"It's a long day. Good night Avery"

"Good night Samantha"

--------

"Wakey wakey sleepyheads" I groaned as I felt someone jumping on the bed.

"Ugh.. give me more minutes" I buried my face in the pillow, trying to put myself back to sleep.

"Oh C'mon.. get your assess up. You've been sleeping like forever" I feel the bed got steady and a footsteps walking on the corner.

"I'm going to tear off this shit if you don't wake the hell up" I open my eyes forcefully only to see Jessica holding the book that we purchased last night. And not only that, it's the brown book that is holding a mystery.

"No!" Avery and I both said in unison as we stood up on our feet and snatched the book out of her grasp.

Jess put her hands up in surrender as she backed away. "Woah woah, easy men.. what is wrong with you two? It feels like you gonna kill me for a minute there"

"Sure we will"

"Geez.. you should have switched positions last night. You guys surely sleep on the wrong side of the bed" she says as she rolls her eyes.

"You dimwit"

"Chill. I'm going downstairs to make you guys a coffee. You need that right now" she says before walking out of the door.

Avery and I looked at each other. "Where do we start?" She asked.

"Start what?"

"Telling the you found your fuck mate whole story" My face got flushed due to her blatant statement.

"Avery! I haven't even seen the person yet and you're saying that already" I covered my face because of embarrassment.

"So you're gonna fuck her for real? That's hot.. fuck at first sight"

"Oh my Gosh. I can't handle you right now" I said before walking downstairs towards the kitchen.

I find Jessy putting some cream on top of our coffees. "What was that?"

"Nothing. Avery was just teasing me" I said as I sat on the stool. Not long after, Avery joined me.

"So what brings you hear?" Avery asks.

"I would like to ask you the same thing"

"Well I slept here"

"Yea that's pretty obvious, you motherfuckers.. and you guys didn't even bother to invite me? You just planned your whole damn sleepover party without me. How hurt I am" she says as she wipes fake tears.

"It's not like that.. it was my idea because it was late last night and I worry it wasn't safe for Avery to drive home"

"Oh, so you guys were together last night.. without me again. That's another reason for me to hate you"

"Oh, C'mon Jessy" I walk towards her and give her a teddy bear hug. "We're sorry"

"This is where the whole explanation thing happens"

"But what brings you here?" Avery insisted as she sipped on the coffee that Jessy made.

"I was trying to call the both of you last night coz neither of you were at the club. But no one picked the damn call"

"We're in the public library that's why. You know, need to silent it so we don't receive daggers from the librarian"

"Lame excuses"

"We're serious.. that's where the book that you were holding earlier came from"

"And you thought I was gonna believe that you stepped your foot inside the library?".

"Why not?"

"Well the Avery that I know would never choose books over parties"

"It was necessary.. besides it was just once in a lifetime. No more next episode"

"Psh.. I'm not a fool—

"That explains why you thought Shrek and Beast Boy were the same—

"Gosh, that's a year ago get over it"

"It still counts on the record of your foolishness"

"You're the one who has tones of foolishness—

"Oh really? Well then, let me recall all your shits. First, when you jump out of the hot air balloon, thinking that you can lay on top of the clouds—

"God I was exploring—

"It almost caused you your death you dummy, thankfully I tied your waist with a rope knowing that you'd do some stupid idea—

"That was amazing, wasn't it? I was trying to be more creative in doing adventure"

"Oh my God please guide the soul of this brat towards the right path," Avery says as she does the sign of the cross.

"You're insane—

"Me? You are insane. Remember the last time you guys had a sleepover in my house? What did you do? You drunk and stripped while dancing in front of my Auntie trying to seduce her not knowing that she's religious and has a strong belief in God. Then guess what happened next? Unfortunately, she ends up sleeping on the hospital bed instead of joining in our sleepover party" I can't help but facepalm internally, I can't keep up with these two's banters.

"Okay okay, that's enough. I don't wanna hear any more shit coming out of your mouths—

"She started it!" they both exclaim in unison as they point a finger at each other.

"Okay calm your assess will you? You guys are adults yet you're acting like you're some kind of five-year-old kids" I lecture them leaving them no choice but to utter a small apologise.

"Okay, did anyone see my Auntie? She was supposed to be awake an hour ago. And wait, you" I pointed to Jessica with a questioning look. "How did you get inside?"

"The door was not locked"

"It was"

"No, it wasn't"

"But I made sure to lock it before we get to bed"

"Don't you think your Aunt already left this morning?"

"I'll check upstairs" I rushed upstairs to her room and found it empty without a shadow of my Auntie.

"She's not there," I said with a panic tone.

"Hey hey calm down. She might be headed outside to buy something or deal with some business"

"But she wouldn't leave without informing me. She would knock on my door if anything"

"The best way to find out if she's okay is to call her" I nod my head and immediately dial her phone number.

Ring

Ring

Ring...

"No one's answering" I can't help but run my hands down my face in frustration and think of things that wouldn't help to calm my nerves down.

I dialed her number again hoping that she'll pick up the damn call and thankfully this time someone answered on the other line of the call. But not who I'm expecting.

"Meet me up if you still want to see your lovely Auntie alive" a deep and unfamiliar voice spoke before cutting the line. The tears that I was constricting continued to fall on my cheeks as I felt my whole body get numb.

"Dammit"

Who was that?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 69 15
"Fuck Harlem" Eden said sounding annoyed "Come here baby" she said way to calm for my liking causing me to stop dead in my tracks in the middle of m...
8.4M 404K 46
I was sure the worst thing to ever happen to me would be being kidnapped, and sure, that was pretty bad. However, what was worse was being kidnapped...
370K 16.5K 38
**this book is completed!!** This is a story about werewolves with some witches and vampires thrown in. -Preview- I opened my eyes to see a woman s...
15.9K 322 25
"Alina, please believe me that i haven't been messing with anyone. What do i have to do for you to understand how much i want to be with you?" Madiso...