Life After You And Me

By DineoMenko

After losing her one true love to the shackles of divorce, Izzy; a young mother, must put back the pieces of... More

Remember to Forget
Whispers of Sorrow
Unveiling the Shadows
Sinful Walls
Drifting Through the Void
Burnt Ashes
Traumatic Recollections
Murphy's Law
Red Lipstick
Catch-22
Kryptonite
Lost Memories
A Heart Rekindled
Party Favors
The Past That Never Was
Why is Archie here?
To Love and Leave You
Surreal Contentment
Be My Suburbia
Unfiltered Madness
Sacunda

Humbling Chaos

105 12 0
By DineoMenko

I weave my way through the crowded dining area, effortlessly balancing trays filled with plates of steaming food.

I'm no pro but I've certainly come a long way. There was a time I could barely hold one tray and I have my lovely colleagues to thank for the upgrade. I think they felt bad for me as Amos wouldn't get off my case.

Every table is filled, and hungry patrons anxiously scan the room, hoping for a seat. La Chevre is known to have busy days and it's almost impossible to get a reservation, but today has redefined the word "busy" in this fine and prevalent establishment.

The demand is relentless, and the pressure to deliver exceptional service mounts with each passing minute.

I barely have a moment to breathe before I'm pulled in another direction, summoned by the beckoning gestures of a family with eager and seemingly hungry children. 

As I approach them, I'm suddenly pulled aside by my manager who evidently still questions why I got offered the job in the first place. I mean I'm decent at my job now but I was a disaster when I started, that's one thing I'll agree with him on.

Of course he didn't make the journey any easier for me. He made sure to note down every single mistake I made and he watched me like a hawk... he still does.

I don't think he'll ever let it go, and it doesn't seem like it's enough for him to simply come up with his own conclusions like everyone else has.

Evin on the other hand is not putting in effort to deny the allegations. I know he doesn't feel the need to explain himself or his actions to anyone but I wish he would stop with the special treatment. He feels sorry for me but I don't think my colleagues understand that.

Amos certainly doesn't.

So when he pulls me aside on one of the busiest days we've had yet, I have no choice but to assume the worst.

Did he finally manage to get me fired? What have I done now?

 I stopped trying to extend the olive branch to him after he stepped on my previous attempts. He doesn't care for me and that's ok.

"You have a call from a Lydia."

Pure malice accompanies his tone as he barks at me... nothing new. But as much as I would like to entertain his attitude, I'm too invested in the sudden suspense in my chest.

Is Zoe okay?

"Not that I even have to tell you this, but I am not your personal assistant and the work phone is not your cellphone."

Amos' remark simply passes through my ears as he walks past me and I finally pick the phone up to answer it. What could Lydia be calling about?

When I was stranded with Zo and I didn't know where to take her after school, Lydia kindly offered to watch her. Our kids are friends and she pretty much insisted. Zoe likes hanging out with her friend too so it all worked out.

I could no longer bother Olli with the duty as it was my week to take care of our daughter. It wasn't fair on him or his partner that I kept calling in for favors.

"Hello?"
My voice barely comes out as I answer the phone. If Lydia is calling me during work, it's got to be because of an emergency. She knows my job demands every bit of my attention. 

I need my daughter to be okay. Olli would kill me if anything happened to her.

"Zoe is fine, Isabella."
I hear her say immediately, as if she was already sensing my thoughts. I feel my heart instantly cool down.

I still don't know why she's calling so I stay quiet while she continues.

She explains an emergency that's occurred in her family that she needs to attend to. Zoe has to be fetched.

I take a deep breath to block out the worry that immediately washes over me. Today is arguably the busiest day we've had since I got here, leaving is practically impossible unless I leave with my resignation.

So as I stand by the phone staring at my colleagues running around the kitchen, I  consider my options.

My parents made it clear they wanted nothing to do with me. Evin offered to help me if I needed anything but I don't know if he meant it like that.

A part of me feels like he was just being polite, plus he doesn't even know I have a child, it would be asking for a lot from my boss.

The last option... Zoe's father.

As I mentioned before, Olli would kill me if something happened to his daughter. Surely there will be consequences for my latest ask but I will feel better knowing that she is safe with the man who contributed to her existence.

I will figure out all else after.

Feeling thankful that I still remember Olli's number by heart, I quickly dial it and it's answered after a few rings.

"Hello."
I ignore the sharp pain in my chest at the sound of a voice I don't hear too often but know very well.

I try to speak but my voice seems to be stuck in my throat.

"Hello?"
The British tone sounds again, this time louder than before.

"Hi, Sophia. This is Izzy."

"Oh."
She doesn't try to hide her disappointment and I don't blame her. I'm every girlfriend's worst nightmare; the baby momma.

"Is Olli there?"

I haven't spoken to Olli since the evening I went to see my parents. I didn't have the guts to face him after our conversation and he never tried to reach out either.

So for the past few days, I've been communicating with his assistant who's been picking Zoe up from my place to her father's.

It was better that way.

"Olli can't come to the phone right now, Izzy. Can I help you with something?"

My mind automatically concludes that she knows about the conversation. Olli was always an open book... it's one of his best qualities.

"I, uhm... it's Zoe."

"Where is she?"
Her tone seems to have already figured out that I need help. I don't like it one bit... but that's hardly her fault.

"She's at her friend's. I don't have my phone right now so I'll message you the address from my colleague's phone."

"Uh-huh."

I ignore the judgment in her tone. 

"I know this is a lot to ask, Sophia. The past few weeks have been so chaotic. I promise I'll figure everything out soon and I won't bother you guys anymore."

"Send the address, Izzy. I'll go fetch her now."
A single tear threatens to spill from my eye at the promptness.

It's so easy to view Sophia as a villain... as the person who ruined everything for me. But the truth is, she's none of that. She's the person who's treated my daughter so well regardless of the issues she may still have with me.

Zoe raves about her and I'm glad I can trust her with my daughter.

So as we wrap up the call, I make sure to reiterate how grateful I am. I also apologize to her for the past few weeks that I've been needing favors from Olli. I know I would hate it if my boyfriend was still granting favors to his ex-wife.

She doesn't have to help me out but I'm glad we can both put our differences aside for the greater good of Zoe.

I manage to return to work with a calmer heart after sending the address to Sophia and arranging to collect Zoe later.

Amos is not happy with me but my daughter is safe, that's all I care about.

After work, Evin shows up, as expected. I usually help him with stock taking but I explain that I have to leave early.

He offers me a ride, but as always, I humbly decline. I can't let Evin continue to give me the special treatment because he knows me personally.

As I get in the Uber, I'm immediately reminded about the lack of funds I have that prohibit all these Uber rides. I need to start thinking about another form of transportation. But for now, I need to get my daughter.

When I get off the Uber, I am underwhelmed by the house that stands before me.

This is of course the first time I'm seeing their home. For Olli, I get it - he was hardly someone who cared much for material things... when I met him at least.

Sophia, however, pretty much grew up in a castle. I was rich but she was wealthy. Her family had old money.

So you can imagine my shock as I look at the ordinary two-story home that stands before me. It's a beautiful home... don't get me wrong, but I imagined it being bigger and grander. I thought it would match Sophia's typical standard, but maybe her taste changed.

I look down at the piece of paper that has the address written down to confirm my destination before I press the button on the gate.

I feel my anxiety catching up to me as I wait.

I haven't seen Sophia in a really long time and she has always managed to make me feel insecure just by simply existing.

Her beauty is unmatched and I'm currently in my work uniform. I've lost so much weight from all the stress and I practically look homeless. 

When no one answers the bell, I ring it the second time, and the third, and the fourth.

Realizing that no one's coming out, I start looking around the neighborhood. Surely someone has a phone somewhere.

They are likely resting as it's a little bit late in the evening. I didn't tell Sophia the time, I just told her I would pick Zo up later so maybe she thought I wasn't coming anymore.

As I continue looking around, I see a car approach me slowly. I can't help but feel startled as it seems to be heading in my direction. Cape Town is not exactly the safest place to be.

The car stops before me and a short fellow comes out. My worry disappears when I realize he's a security guard.

"Can I help you with something, mam?"
Maybe he thought I was a threat. I do look homeless.

"I'm looking for Sophia and Oliver. I'm here to fetch my daughter. Tried ringing the bell but no one is answering."

"Mam, this house has been unoccupied for months. And I can confirm we don't have a Sophia or Oliver in this neighborhood."

I scrunch my forehead at the stranger. Surely he must be mistaken.

"You may know him as Olli? I was given this address."

"Mam, I've been working here for over 10 years. I know every single person who lives here... and none of them are called Sophia or Olli."

I feel my heartbeat increase its pace.

"Do you perhaps have a phone?"
One other thing I need to figure out is how I'm going to get another cellphone since mine was stolen. I can barely afford food right now.

I push the thought to the depths of my mind as the gentleman hands me his phone.

I dial Olli's number and call him a few times. When no one answers for the umpteenth time, I return the phone and give a genuine smile to the kind stranger before bidding him goodbye.

She gave me the wrong address.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 93 47
Love is strange. It exists in many forms and is one of the key components that makes humans happy, but there isn't a lot of understanding surrounding...
23K 529 62
* Book 3 in The Harry and Izzy Series - originally written in 2015 * Following the events of Lay It All On Me (book 1) and Weird World (book 2), in t...
34.3K 1.1K 46
Mrs Julia Robinson, the wife of American figure skating Olympian Adrian Robinson, is nervous about finally meeting her husband's family. After two ye...
470 98 55
❝ She wanted a fresh start, He wanted normalcy, But their past had other plans. ❞ ~~~ For the majority of her life, Gabriella had to endure all the t...