๐๐ˆ๐†๐‡๐“๐Œ๐€๐‘๐„ ๐…๐”๐„๐‹...

By -starfragments

๐“…ซ ๐๐ˆ๐†๐‡๐“๐Œ๐€๐‘๐„ ๐…๐”๐„๐‹.(inf) Something capable of inducing nightmares, highly disturbing. โ She walk... More

๐๐ˆ๐†๐‡๐“๐Œ๐€๐‘๐„ ๐…๐”๐„๐‹.
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐‘๐ˆ๐๐†.
๐Œ๐ˆ๐—๐“๐€๐๐„.
โ˜ฝโ˜พ
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ.
๐€๐‚๐“ ๐Ž๐๐„.
I.
II.
III.
IV.
V.
VII.
VIII.
IX.
X.

VI.

765 59 25
By -starfragments

𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖊𝖋

ONCE ARGUS DROVE THEM OUT OF THE COUNTRYSIDE AND ONTO THE HIGHWAY,  Phoenix tucked away her sketchbook to stare out the window. Her eyes were fixed on the world beyond it, a subtle intensity in her eyes. Every movement and shadow was analyzed with precision.

Her eyes were narrowed, and a seriousness played on her face. She stared at every Fast food restaurant, every kid in the back of a parents' car, every billboard, gas station, and shopping mall.

She felt the eyes that glanced at her but didn't care to pay them any mind as she absorbed the outside world. The others didn't know if she was on the verge of pouncing out the window to kill a random bird or if she was just genuinely curious. Her intentions were shrouded, but it left her quest mates curious and captivated by the silent intensity of her watchful gaze.

"So far so good," Percy told them. "Ten miles and not a single monster."

Annabeth hissed from behind them, she leaned forward, her head popping in between the two, and gave Percy an irritated look. "It's bad luck to talk that way, Seaweed brain." Her irritation with Percy echoed through the car, and Phoenix, still wrapped in silent observation, absorbed the discordant energy.

"Remind me again—why do you hate me so much?"

"I don't hate you."

"Could've fooled me."

"Look...we're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals."

"Why?"

She sighed. "How many reasons do you want? They competed during Odysseus's journey home from the Trojan War, each trying to influence his fate. Poseidon wanted him dead, if it weren't for my mother Odysseus might have never returned home to Ithaca. Not to mention their contest for the patronage of the city of Athens. Your dad created some stupid saltwater spring for his gift. My mom created the olive tree. The people saw that her gift was better, so they named the city after her."

"They must really like olives."

Phoenix listened to them argue in her ear. She didn't involve herself in the exchange, but the subtle twitch of her eyebrow hinted at a growing agitation. The daughter of Eris felt the discordant waves emanating from the argument, and her gaze shifted from the passing scenery to the pair who bickered behind her.

"Oh, forget it."

"Now, if she'd invented pizza—that I could understand."

"I said, forget it!" She exclaimed,

Phoenix decided to break her silence then. "Trojan War. The apple," she interjected, her voice carrying an edge that seemed to cut through the argument.

Annabeth caught off guard, turned her attention to Phoenix. "What's the apple of discord got to do with this?"

"Competition," Phoenix replied tersely. "Eris's golden apple. The catalyst. Discord. Rivalry. Like your parents. Like olives and saltwater springs."

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Are you trying to say something?"

Phoenix glanced at her, monotone as ever. "Just pointing out patterns. Conflict breeds chaos. And chaos, well, it's my thing. Athena and Poseidon's rivalry goes beyond olive trees and saltwater springs," Phoenix said, her gaze still fixed on the passing landscape. "Ever heard of the Trojan War?"

"Er—I know about the horse?"

Annabeth's irritation shifted to confusion as she frowned at the back of Phoenix's head. "Yes but What's that got to do with anything? They only fought during Odysseus' return home."

"The war started because of a golden apple," Phoenix replied, finally turning her full attention to Annabeth. She took a sharp breath in, "Eris, the goddess of discord, tossed it into a party, and chaos ensued. The apple was inscribed with 'To the fairest,' and Athena, Hera, and Aphrodite all wanted it. You know how well that turned out..."

Percy glanced at them, an amused smirk playing on his face. "Wait, No way, Like snow white—?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. But seriously, what does that have to do with anything?"

Phoenix leaned back and turned away, resuming her observation of the passing world. "Just pointing out that discord has a way of lingering, even if it's not in the form of a golden apple. The seeds of rivalry planted by the gods have a tendency to grow, whether in olive groves or saltwater springs. Athena and Poseidon were still at odds during the war. They both sided with the Greeks, but their rivalry persisted. It always has"

Percy, now more engaged in the conversation, asked, "So, even during a major war, they couldn't put their rivalry aside?"

"Exactly," Phoenix responded with a monotone certainty. "Their competition extended beyond the battlefield, influencing events in ways that echoed through the ages. Just like that golden apple, their discord has far-reaching consequences."

Annabeth absorbed the information, her irritation replaced with understanding. "So, you're saying the Trojan War was just another chapter in their ongoing conflict."

Phoenix nodded. "Divine rivalries have a way of weaving through history, leaving a trail of discord. That's why you guys can't stand each other. It's why everyone at camp can't look at me without cowering. Whether it's an apple, an olive tree, or a saltwater spring, the gods' decisions always have a lasting impact....I mean, that's why we're here no?"

Percy sighed, he glanced at her with a look of dread. "That was really motivating Phoenix, Thank you."

Annabeth nudged his shoulder, "Hey leave her—"

"I wasn't trying to motivate you," Phoenix questioned. "I was trying to break your spirit."

Percy nodded, "Oh, Well, Okay then."

The rest of the drive went by in silence. Phoenix was glad to return to her silent observation of the world around her.

𓌪

TRAFFIC SLOWED DOWN IN QUEENS. By the time they got into Manhattan, it was sunset and starting to rain.

Argus dropped them at the Greyhound Station on the Upper East Side. Taped to a mailbox was a soggy missing person flyer with Percy's picture on it saying: HAVE YOU SEEN THIS BOY?

He ripped it down before Annabeth and Grover could notice. But met Phoenix's watchful eye and swallowed.

"They got my nose wrong" He muttered

She shrugged, "Looked accurate to me."

The rain kept coming down.

Argus unloaded their bags, made sure they got their bus tickets, then drove away, the eye on the back of his hand opening to watch them as he pulled out of the parking lot.

Percy and Grover got restless waiting for the bus and decided to play some Hacky Sack with one of Grover's apples.

Annabeth helped Phoenix understand the rules of the game, and absolutely killed them in it. She could bounce the apple off her knee, her elbow, her shoulder, her head.

Wow. Was all Phoenix thought.

The game ended when Phoenix tossed the apple a little too hard at Grover and he ducked, the apple sped past him and shattered straight through one of the station's windows.

Luckily for them, The bus came and they were able to run to the bus line undetected before anyone could notice where the flying fruit came from.

The security guards were yelling and running around in confusion when Phoenix turned toward her group.

"I think apples and me aren't the best combination, for everyone else's sake... at least..."

Annabeth, Grover, and Percy were too busy cracking up to come up with a response

After Phoenix's Hack sack fiasco, they stood in line to board, Grover started looking around, sniffing the air.

"What is it?" Phoenix asked.

"I don't know," he said tensely. "Maybe it's nothing."

"Hm." Sure, Nothing...

𓌪

WHEN THEY FINALLY GOT ON BOARD and found seats together in the back of the bus. Everyone stowed away their backpacks —except Phoenix. She opted to keep hers close, clinging onto it in case she got the urge to sketch. The backpack discreetly concealed her non-enchanted Poleaxe, unlike Percy's magical version it didn't transform into something more inconspicuous. Even with the mist it had to draw a lot of attention... She wondered what it looked like, An umbrella? Maybe?

Annabeth kept slapping her Yankees cap nervously against her thigh next to Phoenix. At first, she tried to tune it out, but then she began to find it super annoying. The constant sound caused her eye to twitch.

Before Phoenix could tell her to quit it, The last passengers got on, and Annabeth clamped her hand onto Phoenix's knee.

Phoenix tensed, there was that electric feeling again.

"Phoenix, tell Percy to look up." An old lady had just boarded the bus. She wore a crumpled velvet dress, lace gloves, and a shapeless orange-knit hat that shadowed her face, and she carried a big paisley purse.

When she tilted her head up, her black eyes glittered, and Phoenix knew in an instant it was a creature from the underworld.

"I've got it." She reassured,

Annabeth moved her hand from her knee to her chest, she held her down. "Are you insane..."

"What do you think, Sophitria." She looked at her with a wild look in her eyes, but didn't remove her hand.

Annabeth's eyebrows furrowed together, her hand falling from her chest. "Sophitria? Seriously?"

Phoenix alerted the boys next to her of the situation as Annabeth grumbled on about the nickname, Percy scrunched down in his seat next to Grover on the row across from the girls.

Behind the first one came two more old ladies: one in a green hat, one in a purple hat. They had gnarled hands, paisley handbags, wrinkled velvet dresses.

She knew immediately that they were The Erinyes. It was like a sixth sense, she just knew...They were from her mother's home, and that, for some reason, made a weird achy sensation swirl in her stomach.

They sat in the front row, right behind the driver. The two on the aisle crossed their legs over the walkway, making an X. It was casual enough, but it sent a clear message: nobody leaves.

The bus pulled out of the station, and they headed through the slick streets of Manhattan.

"She didn't stay dead long," Percy muttered, failing to keep his voice from quivering. "I thought you said they could be dispelled for a lifetime."

"I said if you're lucky," Annabeth corrected. "You're obviously not."

"All three of them," Grover whimpered. "Di immortales!"

"It's okay," Annabeth fiddled with her lower lip and her eyes flickered around them, she was thinking hard. "The Furies. The three worst monsters from the Underworld. No problem. No problem. We'll just slip out the windows."

"Or we can stab them."

"We are not invincible Phoenix—" Annabeth hissed in a whisper, "Khaotikómi, do not sign our death warrants this early on."

Phoenix hissed at Annabeth's rebuttal, "Fine, we won't start with a fight but if something goes wrong, I make no promises Sophitria."

"They don't open," Grover moaned as he struggled with the window.

"A back exit?" she suggested.

There wasn't one.

"They won't attack us with witnesses around," Percy said. "Will they?"

"Mortals don't have good eyes," Phoenix reminded him. Recalling the brief conversation with Chiron. "Their brains only process what they see through the Mist."

"They'll see three old ladies killing us, won't they?"

Phoenix thought about it. "Don't know, but it's pathetic to count on any mortal for help."

"Couldn't go without the insult could you?"

"Nope."

Annabeth kept them on track, "Maybe an emergency exit in the roof?"

They went underground into what seemed to be called the Lincoln Tunnel, and the bus went dark except for the running lights down the aisle.

It was eerily quiet without the sound of the rain.

Phoenix's eyes began to glow red. "Guys...We should think fast..."

Alecto got up. In a flat voice, as if she'd rehearsed it, she announced to the whole bus: "I need to use the restroom."

"So do I," said the second sister.

"So do I," said the third sister.

They all started coming down the aisle.

"I've got it," Annabeth grumbled. "Percy, take my hat."

"What?"

"You're the one they want. Turn invisible and go up the aisle. Let them pass you. Maybe you can get to the front and get away."

"But you guys—"

"There's a chance they might not notice us," Annabeth reminded. "You're a son of one of the Big Three. Your smell might be overpowering."

"Don't worry about us," Grover told him.

"I can't just leave you all."

"You can and you will." Phoenix hissed out, "Go, Fish Face."

His hands trembled when he took the Yankees cap and put it on. Suddenly, Percy vanished out of sight.

Phoenix, Grover, and Annabeth lingered at the rear of the bus. Beside Phoenix, the girl's heart raced, her fear palpable on Phoenix's skin.

Her eyes narrowed as the creatures inched closer. They were about to pass the demigods and satyr when Alecto stopped and took a whiff of the air. Phoenix's hand inched for the Poleaxe strapped to her back.

I'll only attack if they do first. That's all you're getting from me, Annabeth Chase...

Alecto's malevolent eyes fixated on where the girls sat.

Hideous wailing began.

Phoenix, anticipating the impending threat, unclasped the Poleaxe from her back, her grip firm. Alecto lunged towards Annabeth, and with a swift motion, Phoenix intercepted, deflecting the fiery whip with a skillful swing of the Poleaxe.

Annabeth gasped,

The clash echoed with a burst of sparks as Phoenix stood her ground, eyes ablaze. Alecto, taken aback, hissed in frustration.

The old ladies were not old ladies anymore. Their faces were still the same but their bodies had shriveled into leathery brown bodies with bat wings and hands and feet like gargoyle claws. Their handbags transformed into fiery whips.

As the wailing intensified, The Furies surrounded Grover Annabeth, and Phoenix. Lashing their whips, and hissing: "Where is it? Where?" The other people on the bus were screaming, cowering in their seats.

They saw something, all right.

"He's not here!" Annabeth yelled. "He's gone!"

The Furies raised their whips. Phoenix held a defensive stance in front of both of her companions. It could have easily been confused for protection, but her reasons were fueled more by the desire she had to be on the front lines.

Annabeth drew her bronze knife. Grover grabbed a tin can from his snack bag and prepared to throw it. Both deciding to fight with her.

Then the bus jerked to the left.

Everybody howled as they were thrown to the right.

"Hey!" the driver yelled. "Hey—whoa!"

The bus slammed against the side of the tunnel, grinding metal, throwing huge sparks behind them.

They careened out of the Lincoln Tunnel and back into the rainstorm, people and monsters tossed around the bus, cars plowed aside like bowling pins.

"Ahhhhh—!" Grover yelled, getting cut off as a backpack fell from overhead and hit him in the gut.

Phoenix gripped onto something, She was hardly used to being in Chariots, To be inside a bus especially one on the verge of crashing was new to her.

Phoenix then felt fingertips gripping back and her eyes widened when she looked next to her to see Annabeth was holding her hand. Goosebumps ran up from where their hands met to her arm. The worst thing wasn't that Annabeth was holding her hand, it was that she reached for her hand.

Oh no Oh no Oh no!

Phoenix let go, "I don't know why—" She flew back and slammed against Grover.

"For the love of Pan." Grover whined, "I'm going to be more bruised than a peach after this—!"

Somehow the driver found an exit. They shot off the highway, through half a dozen traffic lights, and ended up barreling down a rural road down New Jersey. There were woods to their left, the Hudson River to their right, and the driver seemed to be veering toward the river.

Phoenix felt her blood run cold. She didn't like water. Not at all. She had something that Chiron called Aquagenic urticaria, Or at least that was what they figured it was. It was a condition that made water contact unbearable. A simple touch to it caused her to get hives, and burned her skin so raw it became pliable.

The Lake and beach at Camp were never an option for her. Showers were a daily challenge, but she found ways to cope without avoiding them altogether.

Now, racing toward the river, the fear of what her body's reaction would be to a full submergence in the water gnawed at her.

She told herself to toughen up, that she would not go down in this quest over some stupid allergy. She let out a tiny huff of fear, and white smoke left her lips.

The bus halted suddenly. It wailed, spun a full circle on the wet asphalt, and crashed into the trees. The emergency lights came on. The door flew open.

The bus driver was the first one out, the passengers yelled as they stampeded after him. It was pure chaos.

The Furies regained their balance. They lashed their whips at Phoenix and Annabeth while they waved their weapons. They yelled in Ancient Greek, telling them to back off or, in Phoenix's case, threatened them with shoving a poleaxe up where the sun doesn't shine. This all happened as Grover threw tin cans at the furies.

That was when Percy took off the invisible cap. "Hey!"

"You Fish Face—" Phoenix growled, annoyed that he stole their attention. "I was in the middle of a fight!"

The Furies turned, baring their yellow fangs at him

Every time she flicked her whip, red flames danced along the barbed leather.

Her two ugly sisters hopped on top of the seats on either side of her and crawled toward him like huge nasty lizards.

"Perseus Jackson," Alecto's shrill voice filled the bus. "You have offended the gods. You shall die."

"I liked you better as a math teacher," He told her.

She growled.

Annabeth, Phoenix, and Grover moved up behind the Furies cautiously, looking for an opening.

He took the ballpoint pen out of his pocket and uncapped it. Riptide elongated into a shimmering double-edged sword.

The Furies hesitated.

"Submit now," Alecto hissed. "And you will not suffer eternal torment."

"Nice try," He told her.

"Percy, look out!" Annabeth cried.

Alecto lashed her whip around his sword hand while the Furies on the either side lunged at him.

He managed not to drop Riptide and stuck the Fury on the left with its hilt, sending her toppling backward into a seat. Phoenix took her chance, she charged forward and swung down against the monster. Leaving Percy to stab at the other Fury beside him.

As soon as the poleaxe connected with her neck, she screamed and exploded into dust.

Annabeth charged in and got Alecto in a wrestler's hold and yanked her backward while Grover ripped the whip out of her hands.

"Ow!" he yelled. "Ow! Hot! Hot!"

"Drop it Goatboy!" Phoenix tried

Alecto was trying to get Annabeth off her back. She kicked, clawed, hissed, and bit, but Annabeth held on while Grover got her legs tied up in her own whip. Finally, they both shoved her backward into the aisle. She tried to get up, but she didn't have room to flap her bat wings, so she kept falling down.

"Zeus will destroy you!" she promised. "Hades will have your soul!"

"Braccas meas vescimini!" Percy yelled.

Phoenix wasn't sure where the Latin came from, but she couldn't focus on it as Thunder shook the bus. The hair rose on the back of her neck.

"Get out!" Annabeth yelled at them. "Now!"

They rushed outside and found the other passengers wandering around in a daze, arguing with the driver, or running around in circles yelling, "We're going to die!"

A Hawaiian-shirted tourist with a camera snapped their photograph, before Phoenix could strap her Poleaxe behind her and Percy could uncap his pen

"Our bags!" Grover realized. "We left our—"

The sound of an explosion rang in the air.

Phoenix gasped, The windows of the bus shattered as the passengers ran for cover.

Lightning shredded a huge crater in the roof, but an angry wail from inside told them Alecto was not yet dead.

"She's calling for reinforcements!" Phoenix warned.

"We have to get out of here!" Annabeth cried "Run!"

They plunged into the woods as the rain poured down, the bus in flames behind them, and nothing but darkness ahead.

A/N: hey guys I wanted to quickly address how I'm handling the Medusa situation. since it is by Ovid a Roman poet in which Medusa gets assaulted and turned into a gorgon. For this story, I decided to keep true to what the Greek poet Hesiod says in Theogony, where she was born a gorgon with two other sisters. Mostly because it's camp half-blood and they're Greek. However, in Greek mythology, there are still multiple versions and Poseidon and Medusa still have a relationship, assault just isn't explicitly stated. I know that the Roman version of Medusa's story is also important I just think that I'm going to include it in another story! I hope my decision is understood!

Also here's a mini explanation of Phoenix and Annabeth's nicknames for each other i used a little Greek to make them!

Khaotikómi—This is a combination of "Khaotikó" (meaning chaotic) with the suffix "-mi." It could be interpreted as a way of saying "chaotic one"

Sophitria— combines "Sophia" (wisdom) with a feminine suffix so it is similar to like wise girl

Anyway hope you enjoyed can't wait for you to see all I have planned

— LOVE V

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 245 9
A house of cards โ” one wrong move and it's all fallen apart. Just like that. And it's all your fault. โ”โ”โ” Percy Jackson & the Olympians ...
3.5K 147 12
There was one thing Atala Brannon knew to be true: she was destined to die. percy jackson x fem!oc (slowburn) [the lightning thief - the last olympia...
305K 12K 71
๐–ค“ ๐‡๐„๐‹๐ˆ๐Ž๐๐‡๐ˆ๐‹๐ˆ๐€. (n.) desire to stay in the sun; love of sunlight โ If you want to shine like a sun, you must burn like one โž โชPercy Jack...
12.2K 421 17
๐€๐ฅ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ง๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐ก ๐ฌ๐ก๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐‹๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ˆ๐ฌ๐ฅ๐š๐ง๐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐š ๐ ๐ข๐ซ๐ฅ ๐ฐ๐ก๐จ ๐›๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ก๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐๐ข๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐œ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ญ ๏ฟฝ...