Papa's Pancakey Lore

By papaspancakeslxt

just a fic about papas pancakeria More

new beginnings

4 0 0
By papaspancakeslxt

Finally a fresh start. Moving out of my exes place was tough, but pickle and I are finally starting anew. This crusty white trash of a dog has gotten me through the toughest of times, I swear it. I named him pickle because the day we got her the McDonalds worker forgot the pickle on my burger. I was so mad, but when pickle ran up to me in the parking lot afterwards, it was all worth it again. She yapped at me the whole way home, before settling in nicely. I couldn't find her previous owner, so I knew she was put in my way for a reason. Even now, as she yips and yaps in the car as we speed off towards our new home, I know we're right where we need to be.

As the sun begins to set into the horizon, I can feel the hunger I had been avoiding since I left Cooper. I felt I couldn't eat a thing before I got out of there, though now that I'm gone the hunger feels like it's clawing at my stomach. Luckily, I know just the place to fix this.

"Hey, Siri, directions to Papa's Pizzeria," I say. Pickle's ears perk up. She loves the pepperoni. 

To my surprise, it's only a block away!

"Pickle, this is perfect! We'll eat some great pizza, and then we'll be home before you know it!" I say with a laugh to the yapping dog.

Driving down the barren streets, I see it, in all its glory. The neon Pizzeria sign lights my path to sweet, sweet pizza haven. Finally, I'm so hungry for Papa's pizza. I park the car in the lot, and see other patrons lined up inside the store.

"Okay, Pickle, stay girl! I'll be right back with EXTRA pepperoni, just how you like it!" I say. Pickle tilts her head at me.

I open the door to Papa's, and the sudden rush of pizza-scented air fills my nose. It smells better than I could've hoped, and my stomach growls loudly. A few customers side eye me, but I don't mind. I patiently wait my turn. When I make it to the dingy counter, I just know this will be the greatest pizza of my life - after all, I'm starving! I just can't imagine how Pickle is feeling, all alone in the car. I hope this will be quick.

"Hi! How can I help you?" The guy at the counter says.

"Hi!" I say in return. "Can I get uhhh one large pizza? Oh! With extra pepperoni? Can't forget that haha," I request.

"Coming rrrrrright up! Extra pepperoni? That'll be $12.99," he tells me. I nod.

As I wait for my pizza, I hear an ear piercing car alarm begin to blare. I wish cars would get stolen a little more quietly, I joke in my head. Everyone suddenly gasps and they start jostling each other to get a view of what's happening outside. Oh shit, I think, maybe a car really is being stolen!

I peer out the window best I can. And I see what's happening. It's my car! I let out a slight scream of terror!

"PICKLE!!" I shout, forcing people out of my way to the door.

"Are you nuts?" I hear the guy from the counter shout. I ignore him.

I break out into a full on sprint, and I see two men dressed in all black breaking my car windows as my alarm goes off. Pickle jumps out as the men get into my two front seats. It all happens so fast, and they begin to drive away.

"PICKLE! COME HERE!!" I call out as she runs in the other direction and out of my sight. My heart sinks to my stomach, which was once hungry and now food is the last thing on my mind.

I try running after her, but I lose my breath quickly. Man, I'm out of shape. Tears form on my eyes and I sink to my knees on the ground.

"PICKLE!!!!!" I cry out! I'm sitting in the middle of the parking lot, tears streaming down my face now. I shake violently. I just lost my everything. This must be how Cooper felt when I left him, I think. And now Pickle has left me.

"Ma'am?" A voice says from behind me. I turn my head. It's the guy from the counter. "...your pizza is ready." He holds out a hot pizza, with extra pepperoni.

Crying, I take it from him with a weak smile. I try to muster a 'thank you' but no words leave my mouth. I settle for a sad nod.

He calls me a cab, which takes moments to arrive. I'm thankful, because I had no other way to my apartment otherwise. It won't feel like home though. Not without my yappy fur friend. The can takes me to 101 Lakeside Place. I pay the driver and get out of the car. He speeds off.

I gulp, staring at the dirty door to my new building. I approach, walking quickly through the dark, lit only by the dim light of the streets lamps. I punch in my entrance code 4321, I hope I don't forget it.

I go up the elevator. Tears have stopped and my eyes feel swollen. I arrive in front of unit 302, and open the door with a click. Inside all the boxes the movers brought over are scattered across the apartment. It's a one bedroom. Small kitchen, no dining room and a slight den area I plan to set up a couch and maybe a small table for meals. It's when I see a box labelled 'PICKLE'S STUFF' that it really hits me. The weight of the day comes crashing down. I drop the pizza box to the floor and the flood gates reopen. Of course I'm crying again. God, I'm so stupid! I should've brought Pickle into the pizzeria with me!

I slowly pudder my way to my bedroom and slump into my bare mattress. It's here that I find some sleep.

*BEEP* *BUZZ* *BUZZZZ* *BEEP BEEP*

What the..? I groggily open my eyes to my phone going off. I have several missed calls and texts. Cooper? I think. No, after closer inspection it's an unknown number. Weird. It's 2:47 am, who could be contacting me at this hour. Another texts comes through.

It reads: hello beautiful! This is Papa, from Papa's chain restaurants. I found this yappy dog. Doesn't shut up. Your number was on it's collar. Is it yours?

Follows by a picture. I open the image, my heart racing. Low and behold - it really is Pickle!!! She looks scared, but seems unharmed at least.

I immediately text my response: yes!! Thank you SO much! Where can I come get her??

Papa: meet me at Papa's Pancakeria at 5 am sharp. Don't be late baby girl!

Huh. That's a weird reply, but hey, at least I can get my dog back. The life returns to me again. Maybe everything WILL be okay after all.

I can't fall back asleep, for fear of missing my alarm and sleeping past 5 am. I don't want to keep Papa or Pickle waiting. I lay there in my bed, nervous. I Google the directions to Papa's Pancakeria and find it's only a few blocks away. I could walk there!

When 4 am hits, I can't take the waiting anymore. I dress myself in my regular clothes and make my way to Papa's. I have a certain skip in my step, knowing I'll be reunited with my best friend. I even grabbed some cash to give Papa as a thank you reward. After all, he did save the day.

I make it there early. I walk up to the glass doors of the restaurant. There's a sticky note that reads 'come on in baby girl'. I open the door, the lights are out. I flip the switch and the room becomes illuminated.

"Hello?" I say. My voice echoes in the empty room. I approach the counter, which holds another sticky note. Perplexed, I pick it up.

This one reads: 'your pooch is in the back. as repayment, you watch the shop for the next little bit. I'm away on business -Papa xoxo'

What? Watch the shop? I don't know the first thing about pancakes! I hope behind the counter and I open the kitchen doors. Pickle comes running and yapping over to me! Wagging her fluffy white tail, I find she's been adawned with a pink bow. Awwwww!!

I guess I do owe Papa, so I should probably prepare to open the shop. I gulp down my fears and find the list of tasks written down in the kitchen.

'OPEN AT 7 AM SHARP

ADD 300G POWDERED SUGAR TO MIX
INCORPORATE
COOK ON MEDIUM HEAT AND SERVE
DO DISHES
SWEEP FLOOR
CLEAN COUNTERS
CLOSE AT 5 PM

CUSTOMERS WILL TELL YOU WHAT THEY WANT - JUST GIVE IT TO EM!

-PAPA :* '

I sigh in relief. It doesn't sound too difficult. I quickly begin acquainting myself with where things are in the kitchen. I find the grills, the mix, and utensils with ease. Where's the powered sugar I wonder? I open and close several cupboards before I find a large container hand labelled 'powdered sugar' in scratchy handwriting. Oh Papa I found it!

I don't find the scale, so I do my best to eyeball measure it. I taste sine if the batter with a clean spoon. Doesn't seem too bad! Definitely a little bitter, so I add a bit more of the powdered sugar and mix it in. Should be fine now.

I await opening hour with anxiety. Pickle keeps me company. As the clock nears 7 am, I see a short line if people form at the door.

I practice saying "Welcome to Papa's Pancakeria! How can I help you?" Out loud.

I grow almost excited for what's to come. I can't help but be filled with energy.

I hope to make Papa proud!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 179K 55
⭐️ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʀᴇᴀᴅ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ ꜰᴀɴꜰɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏɴ ᴡᴀᴛᴛᴘᴀᴅ ⭐️ ʜɪɢʜᴇꜱᴛ ʀᴀɴᴋɪɴɢꜱ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴀʀ: #1 ɪɴ ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴡᴀʀꜱ (2017) #1 ɪɴ ᴋʏʟᴏ (2021) #1 IN KYLOREN (2015-2022) #13...
193K 19.1K 24
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...
325K 9.7K 105
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
1.1M 38.1K 63
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...