The Blood of Old Valyria

By LucianaLorein

They are the ones whose souls desire freedom. They are those who can both destroy the world and allow it to f... More

🤍
The Blood of Old Valyria
Prologue
PART 1 | DAYRAENA
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
PART 2 | THE SLEEPING DRAGON
Characters for Pt.2
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII

XVI

952 42 3
By LucianaLorein

~The Blood of Old Valyria ~
Chapter XVI

Dayraena spent the next few days in the company of Rhaenyra and her family, and towards evening she spent time with Daemon perfecting a healing potion for his grace. Her relationship with the prince had not changed in the slightest, but now there was a stiffness in her conversations with him. The king's brother himself came to her one evening as she worked on the bubbling liquid in the cauldron. He did not apologize, of course, but spoke as if nothing had happened. Dayraena didn't mind, but she couldn't shake the uneasy feeling every time she looked at the man. She could not reproach him for his views, which she partly shared, but the hatred with which he looked at Alicent every time they met by chance in the corridor or in the library, where the queen came to check the readiness of the medicine, could not leave Reyena indifferent, but she did not say it to Daemon, realizing how her monologue would end.

In the meantime, Rhaenyra was enjoying every moment she could spend with Dayraena. Knowing that they would soon be separated for a very long time, she wanted to walk, talk, and fly dragons with her friend every day. She didn't forget about Alicent either, often taking her for long evening walks in the garden. They dined together with Dayraena, sometimes they were accompanied by Daera or Princess Rhaenys, and once they were joined by the lovely Laena, who was always laughing at something her cousin Rhaenyra said. Laenor wasn't squeamish about the company of girls either. He would bring one of his friends along and they would drink wine, telling silly jokes or having conversations about chivalry and tournaments. Rhaenyra seemed quite content in her husband's company, and Dayraena often spotted them together. A couple of times she caught sight of the princess in the company of Daemon, which she was surprised to see, because she thought that after the rogue prince's harsh words about Alicent, Rhaenyra had a grudge against him. Reyena still decided to inquire about it one evening to which Nyra answered her: "As much of a bastard as Daemon is, he is still my dear uncle, and though he leaves King's Landing as he has done so many times before, now I don't know if I will ever see him again, so I spend as much time with him as I can" 

Lucerius often visited his older sister in the evenings. Dayraena would order fruit and wine to be brought, after which they would sit on the balcony and play cyvasse. Some years ago, Mayreia had given this board game to Lucerius and taught him how to play, and he had taught both his wife and older sister when the younger Gelarion had flown away. And while Dayra learned the rules of the game easily, Dayraena struggled with them for a long time before she beat her brother for the first time. It was an isolated success in four years. One amazingly stuffy evening, Damon joined them. His appearance was quite spectacular, for he had used a secret passage. When the wall began to move, Lucerius was ready to draw his sword, but Dayraena stopped him just in time, and the Targaryen prince's elongated face amused her to the core. Daemon, of course, had not expected to meet anyone other than Dayraena, so he hesitated at first, but then approached the Lord of Fire Island and greeted him.

"What are you two... That close?" Lucerius asked dumbfoundedly, settling back in his chair.

"Does that surprise you?" Dayraena thought her brother had at least guessed about her and Damon's relationship.

Reyena gave her seat at the table to the prince. He knew how to play cyvasse, since he was a frequent visitor to the Free Cities, but the woman just wanted to watch her brother lose. She watched the active game, resting her thigh on the balcony railing and popping grapes into her mouth. And soon Lucerius piled exhaustedly on the back of his chair, accepting defeat and shaking hands with his highness.

On the day when the cure for Viserys was finally ready and tried (Dayraena had to try it on herself first), the king held a small feast in honor of his healer, where the closest people were invited, for outsiders were not supposed to know about his grace's illness. And the small number of people more than pleased Lady Gelarion. She spoke with Viserys, gave Daera the potion recipe so she could replenish her supply, and then took a long spin around the hall with Rhaenyra. They spent that night together with Damon, lying on her bed and discussing at length the journey beyond the Narrow Sea that would change their lives completely.

However, a week full of happiness and serenity was coming to an end and after four more days, it was time for Dayraena to inform her loved ones of the last day they would be able to spend together.

"Hello sweet sister," Dayra smiled cordially as she opened her arms, and without hesitation, Dayraena fell into the younger Gelarion's arms.

Lucerius walked over to them, greeting Rhaena with a slight nod. He had always been very attentive to his kin, so there was no hiding the slight swelling of sister's eyelids from his eyes. The man frowned, wondering about the reason his older sister might be shedding tears, but came to no conclusion. Dayraena rarely cried, which made what was happening even more disturbing to his younger brother. Could it have been Daemon? Or could it be...

"Had that day really come?"

Dayraena lifted her head from her own shoulder and looked up at Lucerius. Dayraena stared first at her husband and then slowly shifted her gaze to her sister, shaking her head disbelievingly. The hands around the woman's shoulders seemed petrified, letting her know that her younger sister was tensely waiting for her answer.

"Yes, I'm leaving tonight."

"Is that what you've been crying about?" Lucerius asked softly, moving closer to Reyena and putting his arm around her.

The woman nodded and looked down, remembering the feeling of light sadness that had come over her upon waking. The realization that she and Daemon would be going on their long-awaited flight the next morning was warm and invigorating, but it also brought a sense of longing that pressed against her chest. Yes, she was crying. Crying because she couldn't imagine how she would cope with being separated from the closest people in the world. Her family. The people who love her for who she is. Of course, in Essos, Mayrea would be waiting for her. A brave and cheerful sister who Rayena was sure would throw a whole feast to celebrate the arrival of the eldest and most beloved member of the family. It was comforting, giving her hope that it would be easier to endure the separation from Dayra, Lucerius, Aeneria, and Rhaenyra.

"Oh, Reyna," the Lady of the Isle of Fire sighed and touched her forehead to her sister's, closing her eyes for a moment. "I am infinitely glad you are going on this long journey, but my heart is breaking."

Dayraena kissed Dayra's cheek and pressed herself against her, feeling the tears come again.

"We'll worry about you," Dayraena heard her brother's distant voice, the furniture creaked, he seemed to sit down on the couch. "You'll be so far away, wandering among endless jungles and ancient cities, and we'll stay here and raise our dear, sweet daughter."

"And not just her," Dayraena put her hands on her belly and stroked it, signaling that a new addition to their already not a small family was expected.

Dayraena put her hand to her chest, where her restless heart beat often, and smiled heartily. How magical and wonderful was the birth of life inside of Dayra. Her hand reached for the soft fabric of her dress, and there, though barely perceptible, she felt a small belly.

"Now Aeneria will have someone to play with," Reyena said cheerfully and congratulated her brother and sister.

"And crying..." Lucerius realized that a second child would bring not only happiness but also additional worries, but the warmth and love he felt for his wife, daughter and even the unborn child helped him forget about possible difficulties and fears.

"You'll manage," the eldest waved her hand and sat down next to her brother. "You have already shown yourselves to be good parents."

"We haven't shown anything yet," Dayra objected, "Neria isn't even a year old, but when we see what kind of person she'll be in ten years... Then we can talk about what kind of parents we are."

"She's right," Lucerius nodded and smiled at his daughter, who had been sitting peacefully on her father's lap, watching the conversation with extreme curiosity. "I am sure, however - Aeneria will grow up to be a fine maiden."

"She'll be a brave dragon rider for sure," Dayra grinned and patted her daughter's blonde hair, who giggled and twirled her head, stretching out her small hands to grasp her mother's finger.
They discussed Dayraena's journey, her plans and hopes for her for a long time, then moved on to some completely mundane things and ended up discussing dinner.

"I want to invite Rhaenyra."

"Invite her, you know we'd love to have her at the table. It's our last meal together," said Dayra, and Lucerius nodded sympathetically.

"Okay, then I should go find her."

Reyena was lucky enough to run into Rhaenyra and Laena a few flights down. The girls were walking along, talking excitedly, and when they saw Lady Gelarion, they smiled and hurried over to her. As it turned out, Rhaenyra was returning from a meeting of the Small Council, and on her way she met a cousin with whom she decided to share her impressions.

"My father has finally put me at the Council table," the princess said proudly as they made their way toward Her Highness's bedchamber. 'You should have seen Lannister's bewildered face," Nyra laughed, and with her, Laena.

Dayraena watched the girl's jubilation with a quiet smile, not wanting to upset her with the news she had brought. Reaching the door of Rhaenyra's bedroom, Dayraena still dared to speak.

"I'm flying away."

The princess turned sharply to face her.

"What?! Today?" Laena recoiled from such a sudden action from her cousin.

"Yes, tonight," Rayena noticed Targaryen's shoulders slump and she pressed her lips together. "I wanted to offer you time with me and my family."

"How could I refuse?" Rhaenyra splayed her hands then turned to Laena. "Cousin, dear, please leave us alone."

Velarion smiled understandingly and left after saying goodbye. Dayraena and Rhaenyra were alone in the corridor, so the princess hurried to open the door to the bedchamber and let her friend in. 

"I can't believe you'll be so far away," she and Rhaenyra sat on the bed, Dayraena brushing her smooth, straight hair, running her hand through it, smoothing it.

"You will always be able to write to me," the woman reminded her, setting the comb aside and lowering her head onto the princess's shoulder, wrapping her arms around her waist.

"Will I get an answer?" The girl sighed bitterly, wrapping her arms around herself. Dayraena had said she was unlikely to be able to answer all the letters, and Rhaenyra couldn't help but wish she could.

"Nyra, issa dōna (my dear), you are not alone now, you have Alicent and Laenor, Aegon and Helaena, and perhaps soon you will have children of your own. Believe me, you'll be too busy to miss me," Dayraena said affectionately, trying to comfort the princess.

"I wanted you to be a part of my life, my new life," Rhaenyra tucked her legs under her and turned around in Reyena's arms, snuggling her nose into her shoulder.

"I know, I know, but it's impossible," the woman kissed the princess on the top of her head. Pulling Nyra tighter against her, she lay back down on the bed. "My new life is incompatible with yours, that's what fate and... someone else decided."

"I never wished for such a fate," Rhaenyra wanted to shrink. On the one hand she was happy about her current importance in the Council, where everyone, even Lord Tyland, considered her opinion from now on, but there was another, otherworldly feeling in her heart that did not give the princess any rest. She could feel her inner disgruntled dragon throwing jets of fire in all directions. He is angry that he is locked up in the castle, it is as if his wings were cut off, because of which he will not be able to fly anywhere, the dragon will forever remain here, among the snakes, gradually resembling them, playing along.

"You can't give it up, you were born a princess, the future ruler of the Seven Kingdoms," Dayraena thoughtfully watched the curtains of the open window, letting in the bright summer sunlight and warm breeze. "Start showing people your best sides now, let them know what lies ahead, the reign of which queen. They need to gain confidence, to see you not as a girl spoiled by her father, but as an independent and wise princess."

Rhaenyra looked at Reyena with admiration and adoration. So much she had done for Nyra, so many valuable lessons she had taught her throughout the time they had known each other, thanks to Lady Gelarion some part of the princess's character had been formed. Rhaenyra had never understood how her friend always managed to find the right words or advice.

"Words are not enough to thank you, Dayraena."

"I don't need them now, but when you use my advice and if you succeed, then you will thank me," Reyna took princess's hands in hers and kissed them.

"Do you remember our first meeting?" Rhaenyra suddenly inquired. Dayraena smiled, immediately clinging to the beautiful memory, now more like a vision, a beautiful vision... She remembered that she was sitting at the table, away from everyone and her face was expressing emotions that should not be at the birthday party of a royal person, but no one made any remarks to her or she just did not notice it. Then the princess herself approached her. Radiant, cheerful, lovely pearl of the kingdom, illuminated everything around with her light. Dayraena bathed in her warm rays, began to absorb the life-giving energy, in the company of this charming child she forgot about the gravity of the situation and her evil husband, there was only her. Her. The sweetest little girl in the world. Rhaenyra Targaryen.

"I don't remember much from that evening, but your sour expression puzzled me greatly at the time," the princess, too, clung to the sweet memories of a serene childhood. "I admired you, you were the most beautiful person in the world to me, and nothing has changed now," Dayraena snorted. "I wanted you to smile, because your face was always hidden by a shadow of sadness. I didn't understand why you were sad, but I did my best to cheer you up," Rhaenyra hummed sadly.

"You were a kind of salvation and comfort to me then," Dayraena said quietly, slowly rolling over onto her back and folding her hands on her stomach. "That year..." she hesitated,"...I lost my first child. Even though it was unborn and died in my womb, your closeness helped me through that grief."

Her first child. An innocent, perfectly pure soul who didn't deserve to die at the hands of her own father. Dayron had returned from the brothel late at night, drunkenly approached his sleeping wife, and when she refused, he'd started swinging his fists, hit her stomach, and hadn't even brought help when he saw the bloody stain spreading rapidly across the sheet. Reyena was four months pregnant. It was the first and last child she wanted to keep, the one she wanted to raise and raise to be a decent human being, and Dayron had killed it, killed a child, killed hope.

"When you will have children of your own, Rhaenyra," she turned her head to the princess looking at her with tearful eyes, "protect them at all costs, they are your flesh and blood, your continuation. I dreamed of a child, I dreamed that he would fill me with happiness and my life would be better, but he died, leaving behind only emptiness and bitterness that you will never get rid of."

She felt Nyra's fingers delicately and gently outlining her face. She listened intently, empathizing, absorbing Reyena's advice, but she couldn't find anything to say. Gelarion didn't expect her to.

***

Dinner was held in the main room, in the chambers of Dayra and Lucerius, where there was a round table of food. It was modest, family style. Candles placed all over the room gave a cozy atmosphere and some mystery. It was as if a ritual was taking place here, the last joint ritual. The evening passed leisurely with conversations and jokes, memories and even board games. When it was time for dessert, Dayraena stood up, drawing stares.

"I figured since this is our last meal, why don't I prepare a speech," Dayraena smiled slightly awkwardly, shrugging her shoulders.

"Well, please, we are listening," Lucerius made some sort of hand gesture and leaned his elbows on the table, preparing to listen. Dayra snuggled up to him, wrapping her arm around his shoulder. Rhaenyra, who was babysitting Aeneiria, turned her gaze to Reyena, concentrating fully.

"You are the most important people in my life, the closest," Dayraena could be seen swallowing. "I have appreciated the support of each of you all these years, and continue to do so. You are the ones who accept me... As I am. And it makes me happy that I don't have to pretend in front of you, that I can show my true feelings, although I am so used to hiding them that sometimes I forget to open up to you. But still I rejoice and grieve with you, I am angry and resentful, I cry. I don't have to hold it all back any longer. In hard times you served me the only support that did not let me break down and for that you deserve the whole world. I love you. And I hope that the next time we meet, the bond between us will be just as strong."

There was silence, and then Dayra was the first to rise to embrace her older sister.

"Our bond is unbreakable, no matter how far away you are, we are always there for you," she wrapped her arms around Reyena's face and kissed her. The elder Gelarion felt someone else's tears on her face.

"Lady Dayra is right," Rhaenyra agreed and walked over to them. "And no matter how many years from now we meet, we will still love you just as much."

"We are not the only ones who have helped you, sister," Lucerius finally joined them. He stood up slowly, walked around the table and rested his thigh on it, grinning at his sister. "But you've been a great help to us too, I think everyone will agree that you've taught us to be strong. Trust me, you're someone to look up to."

Dayraena breathed noisily, tears streamed down her face, and a muffled laughter burst out of her chest. She had experienced such a storm of emotions, such chaos was in her soul, it was confusing. But one feeling could be singled out for sure. Boundless love.

The family didn't want to part, and when Dayraena said "it's time" there were quiet sobs. They all made their way to her room, where there were numerous bags of belongings and Daemon stood with his hands on his wide belt.

"Finished?" He asked, looking at the sad faces.

"Yes," Dayraena exhaled, and the packing began. There was a bustle of activity, servants carrying trunks and sacks while Dayraena changed into clothes suitable for the night's flight. She and the prince decided that it would be best to travel by dragons to the Isle of Fire, where they would need to take some things and pick up the bastard boy, and board the ship.

Dayraena briefly ran over to the king to say goodbye, then stopped by the library, just to capture that magical place that had saved her so many times, and after all that, she finally made her way to the courtyard where Daemon Targaryen, Rhaenyra, Lucerius, and Daera were waiting for her with Aeneria in her arms.
Here it was, one last goodbye before she got into the carriage and headed for her new life.

"Take care of yourself," said Dayra, wiping away her tears with one hand.

"I will, and don't forget to write down who will be born," Rayna pointed to her sister's belly and kissed her on the cheek. "And you, brother, guard your wife's rest day and night."

"Of course," Lucerius bowed jokingly. "I hope you will tell me about your travels in your letters?"

"I'm surprised you doubt it," Dayraena grinned. "And you, my dear niece," she stroked Neria's head, "grow up to be a true valyrian beauty and clever girl."

Rhaenyra stood silently, pursing her lips and twirling the rings on her fingers. Dayraena took her hand, trying to reassure her; she smiled softly, motherly, and hugged her, whispering in her ear:

"Avy jorrāelan, issa tala(I love you, my daughter)."

Rhaenyra's light eyebrows twitched and arched, her eyes expressing first amazement and confusion and then realization of the words she had just heard. The look became warm, soft, loving. It had been a very long time since she had been called that, it made her longing and joy at the same time and she was reminded of her mother.

Gelarion took a step back, releasing Nira from her embrace. She wanted to intercept Reyena's hand, to say something, but she couldn't, she only caught air. Damon put his palm on her shoulder and whispered a farewell, but Rhaenyra couldn't get a word out. Then she broke from the place where she was standing and ran to the godswood, where she sat for a long time, until her eyes caught sight of the dragons among the clouds flooded with golden sunlight. White and scarlet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

177K 9K 105
The Blackfyres and Targaryens have fought many times against each other for the Iron Throne. Maelys Blackfyre was the last one to try and conquer the...
302K 13.2K 52
Aisha Velaryon is the youngest daughter of Corlys and Rhaenys. Their miracle baby. Only a year younger than Aegon and destined for greatness. 🔥 He...
7.7K 229 14
Aelyria Targaryen is the product of Rhaenyra's Targaryen wedding night escapade. She grows up in King's Landing amongst vipers and spiders, and not e...
31.8K 923 20
The younger sister of Viserys and Daemon Targaryen, if you thought Daemon was the rough prince Visaera, was the only one who rivalled that. She wasn...