𝒜fterglow ୨୧ katniss everdeen

By lesfolklores

𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚐𝚕𝚘𝚠 | ❝ it's the things we love most that destroy us. ❞ ▌ 𝚒𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑, beatrice grey is i... More

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐆𝐋𝐎𝐖
o. ─── playlist
˚ ༘ ೀ⋆ ACT ONE ─── catching fire
i. ( thrown back to the wolves )
ii. ( angel of death )
iii. ( hope )
iv. ( making friends, i see )
v. ( a good team )
vi. ( the moon )
vii. ( the beginning of the end )
ix. ( the first day )
x. ( wreath of toxin )
xi. ( jealousy, jealousy )

viii. ( lamb to the slaughter )

1.2K 100 30
By lesfolklores

[008]  lamb to the slaughter
❛ AFTERGLOW ❜

BEATRICE HAD FOUND herself on the roof yet again. It was a well learned practice for her. She had done it during her first games and throughout her trips to the Capitol. And now would be the last time she could ever come up here and gaze at the stars. The thought made her sad.

Tomorrow she would be sent to her death. There was the promise of rescue, but she had to live long enough to see it.

Beatrice heard shuffling behind her and turned around. Katniss was standing by the elevator, just staring at the blonde. Almost afraid to approach her.

"Katniss..." Beatrice started.

"Are you going to kill me tomorrow?" Katniss cut her off. Beatrice's eyes widened at the sharp turn the conversation took.

Beatrice tilted her head to the side. "Why are you asking me that? Why now?"

Katniss sighed and walked a little closer, now a few feet from the blonde. "I just... don't want to have any surprises tomorrow. I don't want to think that this," Katniss said, pointing between the two of them, "is something that it's not. Just be honest with me."

Beatrice let out a little laugh and looked down to her hands. "I don't think I could kill you Katniss, even if I wanted to."

Katniss narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "What does that mean?"

Beatrice sighed. "Everything I said in my interview was true. I have grown to like you a lot, which has completely blindsided me. I came into the Capitol thinking that you would be my biggest threat. Now I see you as anything but that."

"You like me a little too much, huh?" Katniss teased, reciting Beatrice's interview. "What did you mean by that?"

Beatrice looked her in the eyes. "It means whatever you want it to mean. I'm not completely sure myself."

Katniss just nodded, taking the answer for what it was. She slowly sat down next to Beatrice on the roof, just as they had two nights ago.

After a few minutes of silent gazing at the stars, Beatrice turned to Katniss. "You'll find me in the arena tomorrow? Please?"

Katniss nodded her head almost instantly. "I will. Promise."

Beatrice let out a small grin. "Good."

"Beatrice! Get up! It's time for The Games," Venus said as he shook her awake. Beatrice sat up with a groan and wiped her tired eyes.

She was quickly rushed to breakfast with the rest of the District Nine team. They ate in silence, appreciating one of the last moments they'd all be together. It was bittersweet.

Thatch walked Beatrice to the hovercraft where she would meet Jinx. Thatch stopped as they got on the runway.

"Beatrice, you know I'm not the best with words. But I want you to know that you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. I gained the daughter that I never had with you and I wouldn't trade our time together for anything. I love you. Now go make me proud, kiddo," Thatch said as he held her shoulders. As soon as he started talking, tears streamed down her face.

This was the hardest goodbye she would have to make, besides her sister. This was the man that had saved her. Protected her when no one else bothered to. Became her father.

Beatrice wept ugly tears. "Oh, Thatch. I love you so much. Thank you for everything. For protecting me and caring for me. You are such a good man. I hope you know that," Beatrice said and gave him a fierce hug.

"Oh, kid, don't cry. You'll make me cry," Thatch said, a sob trembling in his voice.

"Well, if I'm crying then you have to too," Beatrice said with a wet chuckle.

The blonde gave him a sad smile. "The next time we see each other, it'll be a better world."

Thatch did not know what she meant by that. Maybe she was talking about the afterlife? But she had a certain emotion in her voice that he couldn't pick up.

Thatch gave her a kiss on the forehead before she walked up the steps to the hovercraft. She did not look back, because she knew if she did, she would have to be forced on the plane. She couldn't look at him again.

The Peacekeeper next to her instructed, "Arm."

Beatrice held out her arm as the tracker was inserted into her. She didn't even flinch. It was nothing compared to all the other pain she's felt.

Soon enough, they had landed underneath the arena. The Peacekeeper lead her to the room she would get changed in.

As Beatrice entered the room, she saw a head of blue hair. Jinx.

"Jinx..." Beatrice said quietly. The older woman turned around. Her gaze softened as she looked at the blonde.

"Come here, darling," Jinx said and opened her arms. Beatrice rushed to her and hugged her tightly. The women swayed side to side for a few minutes, taking in their time together.

"Time to get dressed," Jinx spoke as she pulled away. Beatrice nodded her head and started to take off her current clothes.

Jinx slipped a tight jumpsuit on Beatrice. The material seemed like it would be suited for water.

"It looks like the arena will be hot, based on the clothing. Probably a jungle of some sort."

"Okay," Beatrice nodded swiftly, "A jungle. I can do that."

"Yes you can. You are the most capable woman I know," Jinx said and took Beatrice's head between her hands. Beatrice pursed her lips, willing tears not to fall.

Jinx moved the blonde to sit down, starting to work on her hair. The older woman started to braid her hair into two sections. Just like how it was in her first games.

"30 seconds until launch," a robotic voice sounded over the intercom.

"I guess this is it," Beatrice said with a shaky voice.

Jinx nodded her head in sorrow. "Remember what I told you. We'll see each other again."

"I know," the blonde said with a sad smile.

Beatrice stepped into the tube and the door sealed shut behind her. She put her palm on the glass, Jinx mirroring her. The blonde mouthed, 'I love you,' and so did Jinx.

"Launching in... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..." At the end of the countdown, the tube started moving up. Jinx gave Beatrice a thumbs up, which made the blonde laugh. Beatrice's vision was dark for a second before the tube opened into the arena.

Beatrice looked around at her surroundings. The pedestals were in the middle of water. An ocean, or a fake one at that. There was a jungle surrounding the water. Beatrice grinned at the sight. She knew how to swim. Her frequent trips to District Four were paying off.

It was humid, Beatrice could feel her hair sticking to the back of her neck already. The blonde looked to her left and right. Beside her were Woof, the tribute from Eight, and one of the morphlings. Easy.

"5..." Just jump off the pedestal.

"4..." Get your scythe and knives.

"3..." Find Finnick and Katniss.

"2..." And run like hell.

"1..." Let The Games begin.

MIRA SPEAKS :: time for the
games 🙈 who's excited???

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

373K 10.5K 24
//𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙠 𝙤𝙙𝙖𝙞𝙧 𝙭 𝙤𝙘 // ❝ 𝙇𝙮𝙣𝙭 𝙈𝙞𝙡𝙡𝙚𝙧 - 𝘋𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘵 5'𝘴 '𝘓𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘚𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬' - 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘵𝘰�...
1K 46 18
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐑 - ❝𝙞 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙖𝙞𝙙 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙬𝙚𝙖𝙠𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨.❞ ❝𝙞𝙩 𝙨𝙚𝙚𝙢𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙬𝙧𝙤𝙣𝙜.❞ ✫...
45.3K 1.1K 22
❖ Book 2 of 3 ❖ 【 Slow burn fanfic 】 ║ Catching Fire Reimagined║ It's the year of the 75th Annual Hunger Games. Isla Dunne, victor of the 73rd Hunger...
148K 5.1K 19
"𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘥, 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘯" "𝘪 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸, 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢 𝘣𝘢𝘥 𝘩𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘵" Hunger games F...