The Scholar and the Star

By chronicimmunity

Skyler Collins pretends to date his friend Mitch to dodge another blind date set up by his meddling mother, b... More

Season List for The Scholar and the Star
Ch 1: Skyler
Ch 2: Mitch
Ch 3: Skyler
Ch 4: Mitch
Ch 5: Mitch
Ch 6: Skyler
Ch. 7: Mitch
Ch. 8: Skyler
Ch. 9: Mitch
Ch. 10: Mitch
Ch. 11: Skyler
Ch. 12: Skyler
Ch. 13: Mitch
Ch. 15: Skyler
Ch. 16: Mitch
Ch. 17: Skyler
Ch. 18: Mitch
Ch. 19: Mitch
Ch. 20: Skyler
Ch. 21: Mitch
Ch. 22: Skyler
Ch. 23: Mitch
Ch. 24: Skyler
Ch. 25: Mitch
Ch. 26: Skyler
Ch. 27: Mitch
Ch. 28: Skyler
Ch. 29: Mitch
Ch. 30: Skyler

Ch. 14: Skyler

614 24 3
By chronicimmunity

The view from the hotel's restaurant looks over the bustling downtime during midday. Kate arrives, escorted by the maitre d' before I've been waiting long.

"Hi, am I late?" She asks.

"What, no-" I turn my head at the same time she leans in for a greeting. Her lips graze mine.

"Oops, sorry." She wipes lipstick off me with her thumb before settling into a chair. I stare at her incredulously. "Is your mother here yet?"

"You're here to meet Mother, too?"

"Well, I didn't come just to see you." Kate teases. She catches my expression and drops the smile. "What's wrong? Your mother said the three of us should catch up..."

I only shake my head as I process.

Kate sits back in her chair as understanding dawns. "Oh, no, no. Is she setting us up again? What about Mitch?"

Fuck. I slap my hand to my face. Mitchel was right, and Mother has been purposely bringing Kate in.

Leaner closer, Kate admits, "Skyler, no offense, but I don't want to get back together."

"Me, neither!" My voice carries across the restaurant. Lowering it quickly, I place my napkin on the table and move to stand up. "I'm sorry, Kate. I think there's been a mistake."

"Oh." Kate's attention is caught over my shoulder."Your mother is here."

My head whips around to see Mother usher herself to the table. I'd been trying to get in touch with her since yesterday morning when she invited me at the last minute to lunch at our downtown hotel.

"Hello, darling. What's the matter? Aren't we having lunch?" She waves her hands for me to sit before seating herself next to Kate. "Thank you for joining us today. We didn't get enough time the other night to catch up."

I gingerly sit back down, keeping a wary eye on Mother. Clearing my throat, I tentatively mention, "You didn't tell me you invited Kate."

"Oh, goodness, Skyler, do I have to tell you that? I simply wanted to have lunch with my son and Kathryn, one of my favorite people. It's not as if you two don't know each other." Mother ends with a chuckle, ridiculing my concern.

Leaning towards her, I lower my voice. "I need to speak with you about something."

"Go ahead, darling. You can talk with me about anything here; Kathyn's a dear friend, after all."

"No, Kate is your dear friend. She's my ex-girlfriend, and this," I shift in my seat as Mother's eyes turn steely in my direction. I finish more subduedly, "This doesn't seem appropriate."

"You're being rude," Mother sniffs. Turning a friendly face to Kate, she changes the subject. "Have you seen the menu? I heard the poached halibut is good."

Kate sends me a confused look. Her hands play with the handle of her bag on her lap. "Lily, if Skyler's uncomfortable, we can always get together some other time, you and I."

"What is there to be uncomfortable about having lunch?"

"Because," I chime in, "I'm dating Mitchel, and he said-" My words cut off in my throat when Mother's head reels in my direction.

"He said what?" Her tone is icy. "Darling?"

"You know what? I'm just going to go powder my nose." Kate gets up, bringing her bag with her, and scurries off.

Mother folds her hands on the table and waits.

"No, I mean, nothing, it was nothing..." I fiddle with my napkin on the table.

"Wonderful, then." Mother picks up the menu, perusing it comfortably. "I suppose I should have invited Mitch, too, but he seemed a little busy today."

"Uh, I do need to ask you, if you, you know, know anything about what happened w-with the news leak...about Mitchel?"

Looking over the top of the menu, her brow furrowed, Mother answers with a wide-eyed expression. "Why would I know anything about that, darling."

Letting out a frustrated sound, I lean an arm on the table towards her. "I can't believe that. I know you and Mitchel have your differences, but please tell me you didn't do something...irreversible to his career?"

Finally, Mother drops the act. Setting the menu aside, she gives me a stern look. Chiding me, she says, "You sound like a child, Skyler. Mitch Wild got himself into his problems. It's my job to ensure you aren't muddied with him."

"Did you really do it?" My whisper comes out half-screeched.

"I told you, Mitch Wild did it to himself. There is nothing in the news yet that isn't true."

"Yet?" I question, dumbfounded. "What have you done?"

"That's enough now. Shall we order?"

"Order-" My voice cuts off hoarsely.

Mother goes to signal the waiter. "Do you want to get the steak salad? You like that here."

Shaking my head jerkily, I stand up, bumping the table harshly as I do so. What was I expecting?

"I-I have to go."

"Skyler!"

I get my unsteady feet moving and nearly run into Kate as she returns. "I'm sorry, I have to leave."

Striding out, the restaurant's noise blurs the sound of Mother calling me.

I stalk through the lobby, out the front door, and into the sunshine. My teeth are clenched so tightly that the ticking in my jaw feels like a sledgehammer. Filling my lungs with the fresh air, I bypass the valet and pace down the sidewalk.

I make it to the corner and turn around, only to stop, hands clenched at my sides, glaring back at the hotel.

Digging my phone out of my pocket, I call Eric.

"Hey." He answers right away.

"I think I messed up again."

"Again?" Eric asks sarcastically. I can picture him sitting in front of his work, smiling at his foolish big brother. "I thought you were supposed to be the smart one."

"Get serious. I walked into one of Mother's ambushes." I pass back and forth over one square of the sidewalk.

"And? You're a goddamn grown man. Just leave."

"No, it's not about me. It's about Mitchel."

"He's there, too?"

"No, he's probably in his press conference right now." I sigh, stopping and rolling out my shoulders.

"So, he's dealing with the press, and you're eating lunch with our family instigator?"

"And Kate."

"Your ex? The fuck is wrong with you?"

I run my free hand through my hair, pulling at the strands. "It wasn't my choice. Mother used Kate, and I think she's going to strike at Mitchel."

"Alright, let me think." I hear Eric tapping his pen rapidly on his desk. "Okay. You have an Instagram account now, right?"

"Yeah?"

"Then go post some pictures."

"Of what?"

"Of Mother! With you and Kate. No one can think you're trying to get freaky on the side with your mommy sitting there."

"Right now?" I glance dubiously back at the hotel.

"God, you're an idiot." Eric cuts the call on me.

I fumble with my phone. It takes me a couple of minutes to understand the app. Taking a deep breath, I jog back to the hotel and head for Mother's table.

She gives me a surprised look. "You're back?"

I lean my hands on the chair I was sitting in earlier, conscious of my accelerated pulse. "I'm sorry, Mother. I think I needed to clear my head. You took me by surprise today."

Mother holds out her hand to me. I walk around the table and take it in both of mine.

"Can you forgive me?"

"Of course. Then, does this mean you're staying for lunch?"

"I want to take a picture first," I signal the waiter and ask him to take a photo with my phone. "It has been a long time since the three of us were together; it will be nice to catch up."

Delight brightens Mother's eyes. I move my chair closer to her, with Kathryn on Mother's other side.

"This is so thoughtful of you, Skyler," Mother enthuses, patting my hand affectionately.

Together, we smile as the waiter takes several pictures. After getting my phone back, I stand up. Opening Instagram, I create a simple post, captioned Lunch with Mother and her dear friend. #MitchWild And it's done.

My chest feels lighter even as Mother's smile starts to fade. "Aren't you sitting?"

I turn my phone towards her. "No. I'm trying to counter your craziness."

"You posted that?" Mother's instantly enraged.

"Whatever you're planning, Mother," I urge, "Stop."

Nodding farewell, I turn on my heel and march out of there once again.

My hands start shaking while waiting for my car to be brought around. At the same time, I feel nearly invincible. I can't wait to tell Mitchel I stood up to Mother.

***

Per Becca's instructions, when I visited Mitchel at home tonight, I ensured the reporters got a good look at my face entering the gate. The passcode is still Mitchel's birthday.

The flowers I brought are lost in the lavish arrangements and gifts covering most living room surfaces. Since I got here, Mitchel's been lounging on the couch among the gifts from fans, flipping through a magazine.

"We're so glad you made that post before that creep reporter uploaded his story." Becca keeps gushing. "That Larson guy still uploaded the picture of you and your ex-girlfriend dancing, but it's lost all impact. I better send the press release out, so make sure you stay here with Mitch for a few hours because the reporters will be paying attention."

Becca grabs her laptop bag and heads out. She pauses on the living room threshold and swings her hand in the air, reading aloud her chosen headline. "Insult to Injury: false rumors affect Mitch Wild's health." Squealing, she leaves. I hear the front door open and shut a few moments later.

I slide some flowers to the floor to sit in one of the chairs. Clearing my throat, I tell him,. "I told Mother to stop."

"That's sweet," Mitchel says emotionlessly, flipping another page. "It won't make any difference. Lily is deeply rooted in her stubbornness."

My pride deflates. I felt like a hero a couple of hours ago. "And about the picture that reporter said he had-"

"Has." Mitchel cuts in without looking up. "He has the picture. I saw it."

"It's not like how it looks-"

Mitchel lets out a sigh, dropping the magazine into his lap. "Not important; that isn't the problem. You need to be more careful."

"But I didn't-"

"You can date whoever you want," Mitchel talks over me, "when our agreement is done. But you can't get caught in situations like that for now. All of our hard work was almost lost today."

"I wasn't on a date!" My teeth clench on my words. I glare at Mitchel, breathing slowly through tightly closed lips.

"Just be more aware," Mitchel says tiredly, returning to his magazine.

I feel the urge to get up and pace, but the maze of gifts discourages me. I settle for casting annoyed looks at the disinterested Mitchel.

Still glaring when my phone dings, I check it, brows furrowing as I read the message from Eric.

It's a screenshot of him replying to the news thread of Mitch Wild's 'cheating boyfriend scandal.'

It's a side-by-side picture with the one posted of Kate and I and another one, also taken on the dance floor that night. Mitchel and I are dancing together. I'm holding him from behind with our hands all over each other. Eric wrote It's easy to see who Mitch Wild's boyfriend is really dating.

I text him back. You took a picture? Are you a stalker?

I was celebrating your relationship, just say thank you

Relationship? I side-eye Mitchel, who is completely fine and ignoring me. You can date whoever you want when our agreement is done.

I feel let down for some reason. It's so easy for him.

"Are you going to keep sighing all night?" Mitchel asks.

"I don't mean to." I wish I had some work with me; I didn't know I'd be stuck here like an unwanted visitor. Crossing my arms, I grumble under my breath. "You don't even have books here to read."

"Sure, I do. Look in that box."

I lean down to pick up a heavy, brightly colored box. There's a handwritten note on top that reads

So you're not bored on your recovery. We hope you're all better soon. We love you, Mitch Wild! XOXO, your Official Fan Club of the Midwest

Inside are more magazines and a row of paperbacks, all fiction.

I nudge another box with the toe of my shoe, this one wrapped with a bright bow. "Are all of these from your fans?" I ask, remembering how he'd been the one to give me a hard time when I gave him some flowers.

"No, some are from friends and co-stars. Becca brought them here because I'll have to stay home to be careful for a day or two."

"I thought you didn't really get hurt."

"I didn't. I was acting." Skyler shrugs. "Basic sympathy ploy."

I wave my hands around the room. "Then why are you accepting all of this?"

Mitch's eyebrows and his magazine snap down. Speaking to me like a child, he explains, "I can't not accept them; how would that look?"

"So, you're just lying to your fans?"

Mitchel sits up, finally giving me his full attention. "I didn't start the lies, I'm just playing along."

"So that makes it okay?"

"Yes, actually, it does. I'm not just trying to fool one person; I have an image to maintain."

Standing up, I swing my arms wide. "You're right. It's not one person; it's at least hundreds of people. I helped today, too, and I didn't have to exaggerate."

Mitchel rolls his eyes. "You got lucky today. Eric helped you out, and I was able to turn everyone's sympathy around. From now on, you should just lay low and try not to get caught up in anything."

He flings himself back down, repositioning the cushions and forcefully picking up his magazine.

I start towards the door. Halfway there, Mitchel asks. "Where are you going?"

Turning around, I put my hands on my hips. "Why? How long do I have to stay?"

From his seat on the sofa, Mitchel looks down on me. "Becca said a few hours. Do you want to leave now and raise more rumors about why my boyfriend only stayed a hot minute?"

"I'm just going out to get my laptop." Spinning on my heel, I head out to my car.

With finals coming up, there's enough on my plate. I don't need to add acting like a worried boyfriend over someone who is completely fine.

Stalking back inside, I set up at the dining room table, my back to Mitchel. 'Lay low and try not to get caught' my ass. I didn't do anything in the first place. From now on, I'll just focus on work. Nothing can go wrong for me there.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.5K 3.1K 26
"Ashton, I know I'm not the usual type of pretty cheerleader you usually hang out with. I'm not sexy, I'm not attractive, and I'm absolutely no fun...
715K 18.4K 37
**Completed ** **Book 1 in a series involving the same group of friends** **strong sexual content** **some chapters may be triggering or hard to read...
549K 8.8K 53
Mia Thompson. She's a freshman at Duke University. Since her father's life makes her sorta famous... so she's had fake friends, media attention, but...