The Scholar and the Star

By chronicimmunity

Skyler Collins pretends to date his friend Mitch to dodge another blind date set up by his meddling mother, b... More

Season List for The Scholar and the Star
Ch 1: Skyler
Ch 2: Mitch
Ch 3: Skyler
Ch 4: Mitch
Ch 5: Mitch
Ch 6: Skyler
Ch. 8: Skyler
Ch. 9: Mitch
Ch. 10: Mitch
Ch. 11: Skyler
Ch. 12: Skyler
Ch. 13: Mitch
Ch. 14: Skyler
Ch. 15: Skyler
Ch. 16: Mitch
Ch. 17: Skyler
Ch. 18: Mitch
Ch. 19: Mitch
Ch. 20: Skyler
Ch. 21: Mitch
Ch. 22: Skyler
Ch. 23: Mitch
Ch. 24: Skyler
Ch. 25: Mitch
Ch. 26: Skyler
Ch. 27: Mitch
Ch. 28: Skyler
Ch. 29: Mitch
Ch. 30: Skyler

Ch. 7: Mitch

815 33 8
By chronicimmunity

"He doesn't live with his mother, does he?" Becca asks me on the way to Skyler's house.

"No." Jesus, I hope not. He's talked before as if he lived alone.

Not that I don't have some pretty explicit words to say to Lily after today's fucking fail. My face still feels the sting of embarrassment over that clip that aired. However, none of these thoughts are appropriate to say in front of Skyler.

Becca drives along the brightly lit, old streets of Skyler's neighborhood. The closely packed driveways stretch back towards the large, looming houses of brick and stone. In a neighborhood so close to downtown, it's never seen a drop of gentrification, this is straight up old wealth. "Help watch for the number, we're getting close."

Once we find it, Becca turns up the well-maintained brick driveway, pulling to a stop in front of the wide steps. As Becca grabs her bags out of the car she lets out a low whistle. "I thought you had money, but this is some money."

I take my garment bags from the back and swing them over one shoulder, taking in the impressive building. Before we get to the top of the steps, the front door opens, letting out a triangle of light, Skyler silhouetted in the doorway.

"Hey." I feel my face break into a smile. I gesture to Becca with my free hand. "Let me introduce you two, this is Becca Smith, my manager."

"It's nice to meet you." Skyler automatically reaches out for a handshake.

"Becca, meet Skyler Collins."

Becca drops her bags into his outstretched hand instead. "You, too. Let me see what we're working with here." She skirts past him and heads inside.

"Don't mind her, she'll make herself at home, I guess." I enter when Skyler steps aside, pulling the door shut behind me.

"Well, welcome. Come in." The wide foyer is stylish but elaborately decorated, definitely Lily's tastes. From what I can see of the living room beyond us, it's the same, ready for a magazine spread. "Let me take those."

Skyler sets the bags down right inside the living room before taking the garment bags from me and draping from over the couch. "You said you wanted to take some pictures."

Becca pivots where she stands. "More like need to take some pictures. You're dating the most beautiful man in the world and there are no pictures of dates, no couple selfies, no candids. Are you insane?"

Skyler raises his eyebrows, his mouth dropping open soundlessly.

"She's kidding," I rush in. Becca winks with a smirk before resuming her exploration, heading into the connecting dining room and beyond. "She already knows the truth."

"I see." Skyler watches uncertainly in the direction Becca wandered. "So, what do I need to do?"

Becca breezes back in, heading for the opposite hallway. "You need to change, where's your bedroom?"

Skyler and I follow at a slower pace to find her already in the closet, doors pushed open wide, and rifling through Skyler's clothes.

"Becca," my voice holds a warning note. This isn't Wardrobe, we're not on set. "You're making yourself too comfortable."

Becca throws a grin over her shoulder at Skyler. "You don't mind, do you?"

Skyler returns her smile awkwardly and shakes his head.

"Perfect, then Mitch, come help me choose some outfits for him."

I catch Skyler glancing down at himself. "What's wrong with this?"

We both turn to him, giving him a once over with experienced eyes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this man, he'd fill out a paper bag perfectly.

"Mmm, nothing," Becca answers, "just a little plain. We're going for more panache tonight. We're going to try and portray a few dates and post everything on Insta. We did our research and your mother won't be able to predict or control us there."

"Insta? That's the one with the pictures?"

"Yes, are you on it? I couldn't find you and you're not following Mitch."

"I don't have one or anything on social media."

"None?" Becca chokes out the thought.

"Mother doesn't like us being exposed online," Skyler explains. "My brother, Eric, has a couple accounts but Mother runs them."

"She runs them?" Becca and I react in sync, both of us pivoting fully to face him.

"Um, well, I don't know." Skyler shifts uncomfortably under our twin expressions. "They both have access, I guess? Eric uses them mostly for business and our mother can post or delete things for him."

I catch Becca's eyes, reading my own thoughts reflected in them. Lily is a damn psycho.

"This isn't going to work very well if you can't even tag your boyfriend," Becca grimly remarks.

"I'll make one, an account." Skyler speaks quickly, hastily pulling his phone out of his pocket.

"What about 'mommy'?" Becca gets a harsh elbow from me after her comment.

"I can do it without her." Skyler looks down at his phone. "Probably. I'll...I'll tell her I got it just because of Mitchel, that he's in charge." Skyler beams proudly at me for his great idea.

"Sure. Do you want me to help you set it up?" I carefully take the phone and start downloading the app. Becca finishes choosing what she likes from Skyler's closet.

She hands Skyler some clothes before shooing me out the door with her. "Get changed and come out when you're done." She pulls the door shut and tells me, "Finish it soon, you have to get ready too."

"Yeah, yeah." I follow her out the door, focused on filling out Skyler's info as far as I can. Thank god for autofill. I help myself to Skyler's email account, just for the verification email.

Well, I look a little, but it's all work-related and boring.

I draw the line at looking through anything else, I'll have him add a profile picture later. I grab up the first garment bag and head to find the bathroom. Time to change into the first 'date ready' outfits. Becca is already moving around the house, unpacking the bags and arranging things how she likes.

I get changed out of my low-key, paparazzi-avoiding clothes to some tight, designer means and a couture sweater. I fuss with my hair a little bit until the long layers lay just right.

When I come out, Skyler is already changed, looking more formal. He hovers by Becca, helping clumsily.

"Skyler, I need help finishing your profile." I waggle his phone at him and walk over. "Do you have any good pictures you want to use?"

Skyler hurries over with relief, opening the phone and showing me his galley. There's a lot of old things: old papers, old stone carvings, old tools. Not a lot of pictures of him.

"There!" I burst out when we hit the jackpot. Gym selfie! "Can we use this?"

Skyler looks at me skeptically. "Is this okay to use?"

"Yes?" Too jazzed to know for sure but I grab the phone and elaborate anyway. "It's relatable, it will reinforce that we met at the gym and, the best part, you're hot!"

His cheeks turn red. Still smiling to myself, I finish his profile and make sure he is following my account. Becca calls Skyler over to help move the chairs around the table. I take a second to send the photo to me as well before giving the phone back and helping.

Once Becca is satisfied with everything, she waves Skyler and me into chairs pushed close to each other. The plates are set with takeout from my favorite restaurant, a little dinner date at home. "You guys squeeze in there. Okay, this is the first 'date' we're doing."

Bringing out my own phone, I raise it up. Becca helps me angle the couple selfie for the best shot before stepping out of the frame. I start to press the button and pose. Skyler sits stock still, his face frozen in a terrible smile.

"Stop," Becca calls out. "Skyler, you have to do something."

"Here," I angle my shoulder into his body. "Put your arm around me."

Skyler reaches out, the touch of his arm sending heat through to my skin. "Like this?"

"Mm-hmm, just relax a little. You don't have to look cheerful, just sincere. Okay?"

Skyler gives me a nod. Becca quickly rechecks the camera's angle and I start taking pictures again. I shift a little bit each time, with Skyler still sitting woodenly beside me.

I put the camera down when Becca claps her hands together. "This isn't working."

"I don't know what to do." Skyler acknowledges.

"Just...I don't know, at least act like you're enjoying this. It's a date with the man voted third-hottest in America."

"Really?" Skyler whips his face to me.

"Twelfth in Europe." I brush off the brag with a small shrug.

Apprehension dissipates in his face as a small breath of a laugh escapes him.

"There you go, relax a little." I sink further against him and feel the deep breath he lets out. I remember this is all new to him. "Maybe we just need a short break?"

"Do we?" Becca calls out. "We still have three more costume changes."

"I'm sorry," Skyler offers up an apology. "I'll try to get this right."

"You're improving every photo, it's fine." I shoot a look over at Becca. Cut it out. "Why don't you help us?"

"Okay, okay." Becca comes up behind Skyler. "Turn your shoulders like this. Good, now tilt your head. Great, and look into each other's eyes."

I'm watching the screen to make sure we stay centered. Skyler raises a hand and lightly puts a finger under my chin. With a determined expression, he turns my face towards him, the pull of his finger guides me even closer.

BAM!

The phone drops from my fingers, hitting the tabletop and scattering some of the silverware. "Shit."

Becca helps me clean everything up and back into position. My chin can still feel the heat of his hand.

"Was that bad?"

I look up to see Skyler watching me, eyes and mouth turned down.

"No-no. That was great." I quickly position the phone before turning to him with a big grin. "Do it just like that."

***

After that, the pictures go smoother. We take photos in the living room, posing some like drinks after dinner and some like a movie date.

Skyler is learning quicker and becoming more and more relaxed. He seems to feel better looking at me than at the camera. Each time his eyes land on me it pushes my temperature up another notch.

His hand flexes on my arm. His thigh presses against mine. It's getting harder and harder to keep the heat out of my face.

"I think we're going to get some nice ones outside. Instead of a selfie, I'll take them, that way you two can be completely absorbed in the moment." Becca directs us out onto the veranda at the back of the house. The cool air feels soothing.

"Alright, the light's good, you two ready?" Becca points the phone at us.

With a new naturalness, Skyler wraps his around me and pulls me close. Instead of leaning into him like I want to do if we were in private, I strike a pose that shows off my great shape. With Becca still shouting out advice to him, Skyler tilts his head towards me and puts his hand in his pocket.

"How about a kiss?" Becca suggests, the phone blocking out the grin in her voice. Skyler's body goes from relaxed to tense again.

I glance at him out of the side of my eye, trying to assess his reaction. His alarmed gaze is stuck on Becca.

"We're fine with what we have. You don't need to push yourself." I whisper to him.

Skyler slowly turns his face down to me. His features are still showing surprise but his eyes are heating up. "I wouldn't say I'd be pushing myself but...will it be okay to post something like that?"

I slide a hand up around his neck. I don't care. "Absolutely."

With one last nervous glance at the camera, Skyler lowers his head and places his lips against mine in a restrained kiss. It's not exactly what I wanted but it's probably best in front of Becca. Still, it makes my lips tingle after it's over.

"Perfect!" Becca bounces a little with glee before leaving us behind.

I stop Skyler when he moves to return inside, holding onto his arm. "We can continue with her gone."

His shadowed expression looks down at me. "Your manager knows we're not dating, we should just head in." He pulls his arm free and follows Becca.

Son of a bitch.

Joining them inside, Skyler is already starting to pick up the food and mess we made during our photo shoot.

"Here!" Becca glides over to me, singing, "Look it over and post it."

I read the caption first.

I can't wait anymore to introduce everyone to my new boyfriend, Skyler 💞 #MitchWildDating #MitchWild #WILDERS

Skyler's name is tagged, along with four pictures from tonight. The outfit changes do their jobs, too. I study the last picture, the simple kiss, the longest. Making a snap decision, I delete the picture and post everything else.

Becca already has her own phone out to check. "I thought there were four pictures..." She trials off as she catches my eyes. "I'll go help clean up."

I go join Skyler. "Did you want to check it?"

He stops and obediently retrieves his phone, opening the notification. He nods while reading the post. "We are definitely on the internet again."

"Yup, and I'm going to do a Live tomorrow, too. After that, your mother won't be able to touch any of my upcoming interviews."

Skyler's phone rings in his hand, his Mother's name appearing across the screen. Skyler eyes me sideways, clearly blaming me for conjuring her.

"Oops," I whisper as he takes a deep breath.

"Mother," he answers.

I can't make out the words but Lily's voice is high and fast.

"Yes, we did it," Skyler emphasizes. Haha, I dance a jig inside. She's seen the post already.

The line is silent as Lily calculates. When she speaks again I can barely even hear her restrained voice. I lean a little closer in.

"We are just announcing that we're dating." Skyler remains calm but I can see his fingers clenched on the phone. "Are you upset how we did it...or that you couldn't prevent it again?"

Yes, good job, Skyler. I reach my hand out for the phone. Skyler seems relieved to give it to me.

"Did you call to congratulate us, Lily?"

"You–" Lily sputters for a second before exclaiming, "You're together right now?"

"Of course. I didn't want any more misunderstandings."

"Ha," Lily breathes out. "Are you still upset about that, cowboy?"

"You know, Lily, I have to ask. I'm just too curious. I literally just posted the announcement. Do you follow me?"

The call disconnects. The silence feels good after all that I've gone through today.

Skyler and Becca are still clearing and packing up. It took three of us and two tries just to announce our relationship. The satisfaction of our success grows bigger and tighter until it's twisting my insides.

How long can I stay ahead of Lily Collins?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 57.4K 34
Berkley and Dean had been best friends since they were in diapers. They were so close they could finish each other's sentences and had never spent mo...
190K 13.3K 48
"Hey, I'm Kyler", he said forwarding his hand towards me. "I heard it when you introduced yourself", I replied. I hide my face by my hoodie a bit mor...
214 25 17
Lily is a nobody or at least was. In her last year of school things drastically change, she gains the attention of an old friend, notorious Kai Wilso...
734K 19.7K 72
Ever since Jaylen was younger, the only thing in his mind was basketball. Win championships throughout school, then, eventually, get drafted into the...