𝙷𝙾𝚄𝚂𝙴 𝙾𝙵 𝚁𝙾𝚂𝙴𝚂 |...

By thealexgriffin

ꜱɴᴏᴡ ʟᴀɴᴅꜱ ᴏɴ ᴛᴏᴘ [ꜰɪɴɴɪᴄᴋ ᴏᴅᴀɪʀ x ᴏᴄ] ᴘᴜʙʟɪꜱʜᴇᴅ: 11.24.23 ᴄᴏᴍᴘʟᴇᴛᴇᴅ: ᴛʙᴅ More

𝙷𝙾𝚄𝚂𝙴 𝙾𝙵 𝚁𝙾𝚂𝙴𝚂
𝙶𝚁𝙰𝙿𝙷𝙸𝙲𝚂
𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐈 - 𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐋 𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓
𝙾𝙽𝙴
𝚃𝚆𝙾
𝚃𝙷𝚁𝙴𝙴
𝙵𝙾𝚄𝚁
𝙵𝙸𝚅𝙴
𝚂𝙸𝚇
𝚂𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽
𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃
𝙽𝙸𝙽𝙴
𝙴𝙻𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽
𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙻𝚅𝙴
𝚃𝙷𝙸𝚁𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽
𝙵𝙾𝚄𝚁𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽
𝙵𝙸𝙵𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽
𝚂𝙸𝚇𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽
𝚂𝙴𝚅𝙴𝙽𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽
𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃𝙴𝙴𝙽

𝚃𝙴𝙽

3.8K 159 3
By thealexgriffin

It was dark and cold as Valeria wrapped her coat around her tighter. She glanced over her shoulder once more to ensure she hadn't been followed as one could never be too careful in her position.

She saw no sign of life, not surprising considering the part of town she was in was all fast asleep. Far was she from the parties that raged all night and the Capitol citizens who had nothing else to waste their time and money on. It was a quieter neighborhood, which made it easier to sneak around. She ducked into the alleyway as she reached into her bag, pulling out the all too familiar mask that concealed her identity.

Valeria slipped it on easily, hiding her easily identifiable blonde hair and blue eyes from the world. Gone was the frivolous granddaughter of the president who knew how to party like there was no tomorrow. In her place was the Jabberjay, the rebel spy who always seemed to be a step ahead of the Capitol no matter what they tried. An anomaly that they couldn't stop no matter how hard they tried to figure out her identity.

Valeria made her way further down the alleyway until she reached the other end, careful to keep to the sides of buildings even with her mask on. One could never be too careful and, although it was less surveilled than the rest of the Capitol, Valeria wasn't going to take any chances.

It didn't her long to come along her destination, the old music shop basically falling apart at the seams as she entered. Her eyes trailed across the aisles of old records and CDs, something that was declining popularity in the Capitol pretty fast. She made her way to the back of the store, to the listening booth. 

Valeria's eyes found the small handle on the bottom of the floor, lifting it up to reveal the old bomb shelter built into store from the war. She climbed down, the rickety ladder creaking underneath her weight as she landed firmly onto the ground. Her presence did not go unnoticed by the rest of the men in the room, who stopped their conversation to stare at the newcomer. 

"Jabberjay," Heavensbee was the first to speak as he stepped away from the table, gesturing for her to join them. "Welcome."

Valeria gave a short nod to the man as she joined the table, watching the others shift in anticipation and awe from her appearance. She ignored them as she reached into her pocket, pulling out a flash drive as she plugged it into the screen on the table. 

"Jabberjay has been kind enough to bring the underground tunnels of the mansion to us despite the risk," Heavensbee informed the men as the screen flickered to a map of the tunnels beneath her grandfather's house. "We have one time to use them, no doubt Snow will figure out quickly how we were able to break Julio out."

"Why waste it on him then?" One of the men spoke out, surprising Valeria as she raised an eyebrow at him despite her face being covered by a mask. He seemed to notice the unease and surprise from the rest of the room as he continued. "No offense, Julio has helped the cause more than any of us, but if we can only use the tunnels once before being found out, why waste it?"

All eyes seemed to turn to Valeria, who rolled her eyes as she tilted her head to look at Heavensbee to answer for her. 

"While we would normally agree with your point," Heavensbee began, taking the attention away from Valeria. "Julio was sent on a very important task that I believe he completed before getting caught. Information even the Jabberjay can't get access to without blowing his cover."

His cover, Valeria almost rolled her eyes at the words Heavensbee spoke, not at him, but at those who foolishly assumed she was a man. It made it easier to allude the Capitol as they tried to pin her identify but still, it was offensive as a woman. 

"Understood," the man seemed to back away after the explanation to no surprise to Valeria. He could question the plans if he was confused, but he still fought for the cause. They all did. "How many days do we have to pull off this mission?"

At this Heavensbee did turn his head in Valeria's direction for an answer only she could give. She was the only one that had seen the captured man, seen how he handled torture and how well he could hold out for a cause he held dear to his heart.

There was a brief pause as Valeria thought back to the man from the night before, the one her grandfather had so crudely referred to as a guest. It couldn't be further from the truth, the man being continuously tortured for any information he may have about the cause. He had held out so far, but Valeria knew all too well it was only a matter of time. That's why when she raised her hand, she held up three fingers for the men to see. 

Three days.

That's how long Valeria estimated it would take for the man to break. 

Heavensbee nodded his head at the numbers as her hand dropped back to her side. The discussion didn't last much longer after that, with the promise to meet again the next night to finish the plan. Valeria didn't plan on being there, remembering that she had prior commitments she had made due to her will wavering for only a moment. 

Valeria groaned as she remembered Finnick would be returning to her apartment, meaning she couldn't be sneaking out late and arouse suspicion with the Victor. While she doubted he was on her grandfather's side, she knew the Victors would do anything if it meant protecting their loved ones, even if it meant betraying the rebellion.

She shook her head of the thoughts as the last rebel left, leaving her alone with Heavensbee as she reached up to remove her mask. Valeria inhaled a deep breath of fresh air as she fixed her tangled mess of blonde hair. Heavensbee reached forward and shut down the screen, taking out the flash drive and shoving it into his pocket for later.

"You didn't need to come," Heavensbee spoke first as he turned to the blonde. "It's an unnecessary risk."

"You know they get uneasy when they don't know where their source is coming from," Valeria rolled her eyes. "Coming as the Jabberjay shuts them up at least."

Heavensbee chuckled as he shook his head at the girl, but there was a seriousness behind his voice as he spoke.

"You won't always be this lucky to sneak around the Capitol like this," he warned her. "You should be more careful."

"Luck has nothing to do with it," Valeria retorted back, clearly offended by his words.

"You know that's not what I meant," Heavensbee sighed, but didn't say much else on the topic knowing it would only rile her up. Then they really wouldn't get anywhere. "No one suspects though? Not even your grandfather?"

Valeria released a humorous chuckle as she shook her head at the man.

"You have too little faith in me, Plutarch," Valeria replied.

"I have too much faith in you," Heavensbee responded instead, catching the girl off guard. "It's why we can't afford to lose you."

"You worry too much," Valeria's words were light, but her tone was not. She knew all too well the consequences of being caught, the thought alone sent shudders down her back. "Everyone stupidly thinks the Jabberjay is a man. As you can see, I am not one. I think I will be fine for a little while longer."

Heavensbee didn't press further, nodding his head at her words. It would be foolish to start doubting her capability now, not after everything she had done for the rebellion. 

"I heard an interesting rumor going around," Heavensbee changed the subject as he watched Valeria shift, raising a questioning eyebrow at where his statement was going. "That you've been requesting the presence of Finnick Odair?"

Valeria rolled her eyes as she remembered what she had asked her grandfather only yesterday.

"Gods, don't remind me," Valeria's mind wandered back to the blonde man with green eyes. "Grandfather sent him for my birthday - don't ask me why."

Valeria stopped Heavensbee before he could question her about it, although she knew the question lingered in the back of his mind. It was an obscure gift for a girl that hated her birthday, but she was still a Capitol citizen, and that was the Capitol way. 

"I felt bad, okay?" Valeria seemed defensive as she continued. "He seemed so scared when grandfather called, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask for another night. He'll sleep on the couch and then be on his way. I won't have to deal with him after that."

"I don't care what you do in your free time," Heavensbee shrugged his shoulders. "As long as you're careful. You know one small slip up-"

"Can mean the difference between victory and defeat, I know," Valeria repeated in exasperation as she thought back to the many times he had told her those words. "Don't worry, I know."

Heavensbee almost felt bad that she did know as he stared upon the girl who had seen too much and done too much for the cause. All for something that he wasn't even sure they could succeed in. They could only hope that it would all be worth it one day.

He held onto the that hope, not only for the sake of the rebellion, but for the sake of the girl who stood before him with a stone faced mask and strong will to be better than her grandfather.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

299K 5.9K 95
Querencia - a place from which one's strength is drawn, where one feels at home; the place where you are your most authentic self Talisa Moreno Winne...
41.9K 640 25
'𝕾𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖉𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖉, 𝖘𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝖎𝖓𝖉𝖊𝖘𝖙𝖗𝖚𝖈𝖙𝖎𝖇𝖑𝖊, 𝖘𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖆𝖘 𝕬𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖓𝖆 𝖂𝖎𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖗, 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖓𝖔𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌, 𝖓𝖔...
11.2K 354 10
ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴜɴɢᴇʀ ɢᴀᴍᴇꜱ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴅᴇꜱᴛʀᴏʏ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴜʀᴇꜱᴛ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛꜱ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴇxᴀᴄᴛʟʏ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴘᴏᴏʀ ᴀʟᴇxɪꜱ ʀɪʙʙᴏɴ. [ꜰɪɴɴɪᴄᴋ ᴏᴅᴀɪʀ x ᴏᴄ] ᴘᴜʙʟɪꜱʜᴇᴅ: 05.0...
303K 7.1K 47
╔═════════╗ ❝𝐒𝐄𝐀-𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐍❞ ╚═════════╝ ‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣͙୧ 𝐀 𝐃𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐭 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐢𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟔𝟕𝐭𝐡 𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞...