Radiance - The Alight Archive...

By Voltino213

A humble potion-maker with barely a token to her name. A bright, responsible daughter as well as a caring sis... More

Prologue
1. The Girl of Light
2. Strangers in Page
3. The Test
4. A Piece of Me
5. The Most Important Step
6. Glyph Academy
7. Roommates
8. Perfect Instincts
9. A Pulse
10. The Nameless Hound
11. The Abyssal Sorcerer
12. Class of Misfits
13. Starting Line
14. Knack for Potions
15. Minerva
16. Aptitude
17. Spontaneous Sorcery
18. A New Light
19. Letters
20. Class President
21. The Pocket Prison
22. Question of Resolve
23. Heir of House Dresden
Student Profile #1 - Elaine Harwood
24. Deathstalkers
25. An Escape
26. Light in the Labyrinth
27. That Which Makes a True Sorcerer
28. Fulcudo
29. Visions
30. Building Blocks
31. Extracurricular Activities
Student Profile #2 - Fearne Lavender
32. The Aire Club
33. Strange Girl
34. Four Members
35. Glyph's Shadows
36. Ever Heard of Confidentiality?
37. Goldbloods and Lowborns
38. Cornered
39. Duel at Dark
Student Profile #3 - Custas Cloude
40. Hollow Halls
42. High Autumn Days
43. The Next Challenge
44. A Sorcerer's Impulse
45. Wishful Thinking
46. The Lightning Mage
47. Collision
Student Profile #4 - Kliff Dresden
48. The Nature of Magic
49. Masks on Flame
50. Nasty Scar
51. Halfbreed
52. Elaine and Minerva
53. Midterms
54. A Hobgoblin's Glow
55. Inside the Griffin's Nest
Student Profile #5 - Adeline Griffith
56. The Worthy Ones
57. Rivals
58. Sparrows and Griffins
59. Glyph Forest
60. Alliance
61. Unbudded Petals
62. Black Thorns
63. The Melody of Nature

41. Intruder

25 1 5
By Voltino213

Casey gave the string at the bottom of the device a hearty pull, and exploding out of its lid was a fistful of flashy confetti, jetting into the air before falling to the floor to join the other confetti mounds the girl had already amassed around the room. 

Much to Elaine's surprise, when they arrived at the Aire Club meeting room that afternoon on Wrez, they were immediately bombarded with cheering and compliments; apparently, word had already reached Casey and Raine that they had passed the Vice President's task, which meant the club itself was in the clear...for the time being, at least.

Casey was beyond excited, and Elaine chuckled as the girl pulled Custas into a tight and spontaneous hug. Even though it was a regular school day, she had somehow managed to find the time to deck out the club room with an impressive display of decorations. The space was adorned with colorful balloons, some of which had already drifted up to the ceiling, while others were tied down to the edges of the tables. 

The tables themselves were covered in a thick layer of confetti and glitter, giving off a festive vibe that was hard to ignore. The attention to detail was impressive, and it was clear that Casey had gone above and beyond to commemorate the occasion. 

The room was adorned with drapes of streamers that had been strung up on the walls like multi-colored curtains. The streamers were joined by numerous other flowery paper ornaments, which added to the vibrant and festive atmosphere, and the air was filled with the sound of an arcanetech device—a box-shaped thing with a shiny disk rotating on a mechanism on top of it—playing an old-time melody with rolling lyrics. The tune was unfamiliar to Elaine, and she couldn't help but wonder if it was a local melody from Casey's hometown, wherever that may be. Despite not recognizing the song, she found herself tapping a foot to the beat.

"Oh, boy! I knew I could count on you guys!" Casey cheered, raising a glass of purplish drink overhead. "I thought those weasels in the Council would for sure try and pull something funny on you. Sabotaging their competition ain't out of their capabilities. But, man, you showed them what's what, didn't you!" She nudged Custas in his waist with an elbow, laughing as he cringed from the minute gesture. "From now on, those cowsuckers will think twice before they try to mess with us."

"We're not out of the wood yet, ma'am," Kliff said. Elaine found him standing across from her on the other side of the table that separated them, leaning a shoulder onto the bookshelf with a drink in his hand. "The Vice Principal made it quite clear that he is still more than willing to disband our club should he think his reason for doing so is justified. Even though we've eluded him thus far, I do believe he still intends on watching over us, waiting for us to slip up."

"Aptly put," Raine said at the rear of the room. Elaine noticed that the tall boy barely spoke to anyone unless he was addressed or asked a question. A man of few words though he was, Raine still had an air of politeness about him, even if he commonly kept plastered on his face a distant expression. He was carrying a large paper box in his hands, fingers held tightly underneath it. "Concerning our future, the most crucial problem to address is that of attaining more job requests; the club cannot function without them."

"He's right," Casey nodded. "We won't last long if nobody even knows we exist. Don't worry, you guys. I have a plan I'm thinking of putting in motion soon. But let's save all of that complicated stuff for later." Spreading a grin below her cheeks, Casey motioned to the box Raine rested gently on the table. "Right now, we're celebrating. And no true celebration is ever fully complete without something to stuff into our bellies."

As Casey opened the box, Elaine's eyes stretched as wide as they'd ever gone. Before them, sitting elegantly on its dish, was a decently sized cake covered in white icing and a colorful array of sprinkles jammed into its frosty hide. Meanwhile, spilling over the top of it were bloated, darkish globs that she could only suspect were meant to be a kind of chocolate. 

At first glance, Elaine thought they might spill onto the plate and make a mess on the table, however, they were frozen in place, no more an ornament than the sprinkles. And...and there was also a diversified collection of bizarre fruits cut into bite-sized portions littered on top; Elaine had never seen anyone put fruits on a cake before, but then again, she had never laid her eyes upon a pastry this extravagant either.

"Wow, you really went all out, didn't you?" Custas smirked, shuffling beside her.

Casey blushed, scratching the back of her head. "Oh, don't think too much about it. I was originally planning on giving you this when you four first joined, but then those Student Council sulmos had to go pokin' their noses in our business." Casey started as she noticed the rising anger in her tone; just thinking about the Council, so it seemed, made her frustrated. "Eh, let's stop talking about them; they'll only sour the mood. Well, then, my dearest members and friends, help yourself to your heart's content."

Kliff leaned over the table with crossed arms, staring at the cake with a grin on his face. "This looks like the kind of cake they'd serve in the Capital. Must have fetched a pretty token, no?"

"Oh, it wasn't that big of a—"

"If you must know," Raine said, cutting Casey off as he stood behind her, "we've already drained a majority of the club's annual funds throwing this "party" alone. We'll have to spend our resources wisely and make do with what we have until the next rotation."

"You don't say," Custas sighed. "Sunder me, Casey. You didn't have to go that far for us."

"Raine's over-exaggerating, and of course I did! Today's special. Not only is the Aire Club fine and well, but now we have a fighting chance! That's more than enough reason to celebrate if you ask me. Sure, theirs bound to be complications every now and again, but we're a sturdy bunch, aren't we? We'll figure it out."

Custas shrugged. "Eh, I suppose..."

"Anyway, enough talk!" Casey smiled encouragingly. "Grab a plate and have fun!"

"Yeah, you two. You heard Casey; these are our leader's orders." Elaine hardly acknowledged the startled look she was getting from Custas and the cock of the head Kliff paid her with. The source of her newfound addiction was that cake, untouched, gleaming in all of its glory. Without thinking, she pounced forward, arms lashing out in front of her, her gaze blinded by gluttony. "I just got to have a bite of that delicious treasure!"

"Whoa, Elaine. Calm down," Custas said, catching her by her arms before she could grab two scoops of it with her bare hands. 

With a blink and hasted puff, Elaine returned to her senses, and as she did, a blush turned her cheeks pink. "Aah! Sorry, so sorry!" she stammered, hopping from him with flailing hands. "I didn't mean it! I just got carried away!"

In spite of the absurdity of it all, Casey only laughed. "Ha! Where the heck did that come from? You some kind of foodie, Harwood?"

Elaine brushed the hair out of her face. "No, not really..."

"Jeez, Elaine, you gotta get that sweet tooth of yours under control," Custas sighed, palming his forehead. "Fearne told me how you got a stomach ache on the first day of school cause you ate some sweets too fast at the Feast Hall. I get it if you're hungry but don't eat yourself to death."

Elaine blushed some more. "I can't help it, all right?! We didn't have the most diversified palette in Page, so excuse me if I want to try my hand at something different."

Casey's laughter grew louder, her shoulders bobbing up and down. "There's no shame in it, Harwood. Everyone gets a little crazy about something or other."

Great, now she thinks I'm crazy, Elaine thought glumly.

"Well, I, for one, see no problem letting loose every now and again. This is a party, after all," Kliff smirked, cutting himself a slice of the well-adorned cake—a perfect cut right through the center—and placing it delicately on a paper plate. "Even I get a little ecstatic when I'm served an especially inviting meal at my father's functions." Elaine hesitated as he handed the plate to her kindly. "I hope its flavor coincides with your expectations, Lady Harwood."

"Th...thanks, Kliff," Elaine smiled, taking it from him. Fritz! Does he always have to act so posh?! It's making me nervous!

"Speaking of, where is Fearne? She should have been here by now?" Casey asked.

"She said she had to take care of something first. Actually, she's been acting a little stand-offish as of late. I hope everything's all right." The concern Elaine had for her roommate was culled the instant she stabbed a plastic fork into the cake slice and shoved a piece into her mouth. A sugary flavor of puffy vanilla glazed over her tongue. There was a prick of spice as well, one that added an extra kick to the taste, but before Elaine could appreciate it, the cake had vanished out of her mouth. "So good," she said dreamily.

"It better be," Casey grunted proudly. "It's glad to know I haven't wasted the club's expenses on nothing." Kliff helped pass more plates of cake around the group until everyone was sitting at the table munching on the dessert, with Kliff himself being the last to acquire one. He sat next to Elaine at the edge of the table, inspecting the slice with a narrowed gaze before shrugging and taking a small bite. If his minute nod accounted for anything, then the boy must have approved of it. "So, in a couple of weeks, Midterms are coming up," Casey sneered. "How are we all feeling?"

Elaine froze as she was about to munch at her fork again, her mouth hanging open. "I won't lie; I'm a bit nervous. There's a lot of material from my courses that I'm still not super clear about. However, I'm sure if I take the time to properly prepare, I'll be ready for the exams."

"That's good," Casey smiled, picking at her slice of cake with a fork. "It's never a good idea to let everything pile up on you like you're the human equivalent of a pack mule or land dragon. I say the sooner you get a start on absorbing the necessary content, the better you'll perform in your tests. Although, I can't account for Spellcasting or Black Magic Defense. Those classes have always been a bit, ah, random."

Kliff arched a brow. "Random? As pertaining to what?"

"All I'll say is, none of their tests are ever the same," Casey said strongly. "The other first-year homeroom classes will almost assuredly take an exam unique to yours, so don't think you can just ask them for any tips or pointers. Believe me, I know. I've tried."

"Oh, that's right. You're a second-year, aren't you?" Elaine asked.

"Yup," Casey frowned. "And so out of everyone here, I think I'm the most qualified in warning you of what's to come. No point in stressing out over what an exam could be, as Professor Marsh will throw a curve ball at you regardless. Manticore's mane, it's like that shadow mage has no soul."

"And while we're on the topic of discussing our one and only Abyssal Sorcerer," Custas groaned, "it bears mentioning that we have but another task I, for one, have been purposefully neglecting."

Elaine glowered at the thought. "Oh...right..." He hadn't brought it up much, but apparently, Professor Marsh had expected them to obtain a Radiant Star before the end of the first semester. Otherwise, they'd receive a horrible punishment of his own choosing, and considering how seriously Marsh took his job, the sorcerer more than likely intended to follow through with his threat.

"I've been pondering over that as well," Kliff sighed. "Honestly, I don't know how he expects us to obtain a Radiant Star. I've spoken with a couple of third-year and fourth-year students; they told me it was next to impossible, even for them."

"Hmm? Professor Marsh wants you all to have a Radiant Star, does he?" Casey asked, sharing a confused glance with Raine beside her.

"Yeah," Elaine exhaled. "And I haven't the foggiest clue as to how we're going to pull it off."

"Well, you're in luck," Casey sneered. "The professors only hand out Radiant Stars to those students who go out of their way to help the academy and the community. Sorcerers who embody honor are sorcerers who will be granted with Stars, no doubt. It's why the three of you are in such great positions! In joining the Aire Club, you'll be able to assist all kinds of folks. The higher-ups will have to take note of your efforts eventually. Stick with me, and you'll be swimming in Radiant Stars."

Elaine looked up at her, hopeful. "Really?"

"Eh, we should still probably temper our expectations," Custas yawned. "Regardless of what you say, club leader, I doubt it's going to be so easy."

At that moment, the door to the club room burst open, and in ran Fearne, out of breath and strands of hair strewing over her sweat-ridden forehead. "Fearne?" Elaine asked as the girl caught herself, bent over with her hands on her knees. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's more than okay," Fearne said excitedly, staggering as she stood straight. "You guys! Check it out! I just got a Radiant Star!"

Custas nearly fell out of his seat. "You what?!"

"Wait, seriously?" Kliff inquired, brows pulled down.

It was true. In her hand, she showed them the star-shaped pendant. It was a bronze which, according to Professor Marsh, was the lowest kind of Radiant Star there was, but it was a Radiant Star nonetheless. Fearne was in the clear.

"H...How did you ever...?" Elaine stammered.

"Yeah, what the heck, Fearne?!" Custas growled jealously, hurrying over to her. "Is this what you've been doing whenever you disappear? I'm telling ya, it's the innocent ones you always gotta watch out for!"

Fearne held her hands up defensively. "No, it's not like I strategized this, or anything crazy like that! I was just assisting Professor Dragonthorne with organizing some medical supplies. That's all, I swear!"

Kliff cocked his head. "Professor Dragonthorne? What made you get involved with her?"

"Well, she's a pretty famous Medical Mage, and she's also close friends with my parents," Fearne nervously giggled, repeatedly tugging at her ponytail. "As a matter of fact, I'm starting to think it was because of her that I'm even attending this academy. The Gray Cloak that scouted me, I always thought it was a little suspicious that he showed up when he did. It just seemed too coincidental."

"You think they were sent to you on Dragonthorne's authority?"

"Maybe," Fearne said pensively. "I never mentioned to my parents that I wanted to attend Glyph, but I wasn't going to pass on the opportunity either. Dragonthorne called me after class last week to compliment me on my healing magic. One thing led to another, and eventually, I became sort of like a personal assistant to her...whenever I have the time, that is. I must have impressed her in some fashion." Fearne stared at the Radiant Star locked between her fingers. "But I didn't ever think she'd bestow to me a Radiant Star. I feel honored."

"As you should," Casey said, clapping. "You just accomplished in little over a month what it takes an entire semester for an average student. Huh, it's a good thing you're in my club."

Fearne beamed an embarrassed smile. "You're too nice; I really didn't do anything that amazing."

"Yeah, I'm happy for you, Fearne. Really, I am," Custas murmured.

Fearne frowned at him. "You don't sound happy?"

Custas stalked back to the table and plopped in his chair, rolling his head back to glare at the ceiling. "Can you blame me? This doesn't change the fact that the rest of us are screwed unless we can wow a professor the way you did."

"Well, you could try using your charmspeak to convince one of them to toss you a Star," Kliff smirked. "Worked on Professor Marsh, didn't it?"

Custas scowled. "Oh, shut it, fireboy! I'm not in the mood for any of your jokes!"

"Casey!" Elaine said loudly, turning to the club leader in a rapid motion that made her blonde hair whip in a frenzy. She caught the girl reaching for her second slice—wasn't the cake meant as a gift for them?—as she chewed with puffed cheeks, looking at her stunned. "You mentioned you had a plan that would help the club, right? One that could boost the club's reputation? Mind filling us in on what it is?"

*

* *

Allan pinched the bridge of his nose as he stalked through the halls. With classes finished for the day, the academy wasn't as bustling or boisterous as it usually was, but even relative quietness wasn't enough to sate his glare. With sharp ears, he discerned the pounding of boots on the floor above him, as well as the nonsensical blabber of a pair of students around the corner. Being a professor at Glyph Academy was an arduous job most days; other times, it was merely annoying.

If nothing else, there was a silver lining; small though it may be, he'd account for every victory that came his way. He'd give their headmaster some credit; the man knew how to pick candidates. Those who passed the Glyph Academy Entrance Exam were extraordinary in their own right, but Allan always became skeptical as to whether the students who were admitted due to being scouted were worth their salt. If he couldn't assess their abilities firsthand, then, as far as he was concerned, they didn't belong in his class, let alone at the academy.

Some deemed his logic flawed. Even so, Allan considered himself a practical man, one that wouldn't so easily be swayed by words or promises or bargains. Out of his eyes was a gaze that analyzed a mage for who they were at their Core, and if that selected Essence didn't adhere to his standards or the ideals of the academy, then he cared not for how talented they were; he'd have them thrown off campus without a second thought.

That being the case, there was an abnormal amount of scouted students among his homeroom class this rotation. He knew of the Lavenders even before being hired as a professor, as they were some of the most talented Medical Mages in the country. Their daughter, on the other hand, well, she had room to grow. 

Fearne Lavender's abilities with Abjuration were extraordinary, or so Professor Dragonthorne had told him. Still, from what he observed of her so far, Fearne lacked the confidence in herself to use her magic to the height of its ability. Talent was meaningless if one failed to act on their potential, and until Fearne recognized that for herself, her growth would always be stunted.

Then there was Custas Cloude, the street bumcan whom Raze had scouted personally. He didn't know what that skeleton of a man saw in the boy. If anything, Custas seemed far more interested in running his mouth than he was in practicing sorcery. Although, he did somewhat excel at Summoning and Enchantment. Could this be why Raze recruited him? Nonetheless, he'd keep an eye on that trouble-maker.

Adeline Griffith and Kliff Dresden were obvious choices, both of them hailing from powerful and influential noble families; why, it'd only make sense for them to be attending Glyph. As it stood, those two were probably the strongest in his homeroom. But even then, neither of them was perfect, and there was still room for them to grow.

However, the person whom he was most invested in watching develop was the mysterious Elaine Harwood. He'd done some research into her background, but miraculously, nothing stood out to him as especially odd. She came from a humble town in the countryside named Page, where she lived with her adoptive family, who ran a potion-making business, but he knew as much already. And none of this explained how a girl as normal as her could have learned such potent magic.

Even in the Noble World, light mages were exceedingly rare. Using basic-leveled Light Magic spells was rather customary, but he'd no word of any Professional Sorcerer—Strix or otherwise—applying it in combat. It didn't make sense; just who was this girl? Where once he would have expelled her, Allan now intended on keeping as close an eye on her as possible.

Rapid scribbling reminded him of Lyra's presence, and Allan glanced over his shoulder to find the pale-skinned woman jotting something down in the notepad she was carrying. Her bright blue eyes scanned the paper, and her lips opened and closed as she mouthed out whatever it was that she was reading. She looked up at him; upon noticing his peek, a fraction of a smile formed under her cheeks.

"Please tell me my schedule is clear for tomorrow," Allan frowned.

"Apart from your usual classes?"

"Yes, apart from that."

"Another meeting, I'm afraid," Lyra replied, her voice as tranquil as a cloudless sky. "Headmaster Valerian has been insistent on holding them this semester, hasn't he? Don't you think he seems ...distracted by something?"

Allan smirked. "When is that sulmo ever not distracted?" A small crowd of students approached them, and almost every single one of them stiffened and ceased whatever conversation they'd been engaging in prior to catching sight of him. Allan cursed himself; he had that effect on people even before he became a Professional Sorcerer. Something about his eyes always rubbed people the wrong way, but he couldn't help how he looked. "Lyra, be honest with me," he said, looking back at her again. "Did I make the right call?"

Lyra arched a brow. "Regarding which matter, sir?"

"Harwood," he said dispassionately. "I suppose even now, after all these years, I still can't put a lid over my emotions. I'm pathetic."

"No, I don't think so," Lyra said, shaking her head. "It just means you haven't lost your humanity."

"Elaine Harwood is a wildcard, you understand this, don't you? And I'm worried that...should the time come where certain actions need to be repeated, I won't be able to do what's necessary."

"Why, that doesn't sound very practical of you, sir," Lyra joked, but when he didn't chuckle, she sighed and stepped into step next to him. "You care for your students. Others might not think so, but I know you better than anybody else here. If you think that by keeping Elaine Harwood in the academy, you are sparing the girl from a disaster, then that's a decision I will support as well."

"Her magic, it's dangerous. What if—"

"If it does indeed come to that," Lyra said, lacing her fingers with his, "then you can count on me to be by your side."

Ahead, Allan spotted Professor Newts making his way towards them. He was an older gentleman bordering on fifty with piercing blue eyes and spiky yet well-kempt hair that was starting to turn silver. He was also a rather tall man—not to the degree of someone like Jared or the Hound—to where most, Allan included, had to tilt their head up to look him in the eyes. Today he was wearing a red-colored overcoat, some trousers, and a pair of well-polished, laced shoes.

Allan rolled his eyes; while most chose to keep their distance from him, Terrence would chat for hours on end about the latest geographical revelations with anyone who would listen. "Professor," Allan said, bracing himself for a conversation to last until the end of the day.

"Marsh," the man said, and without another word exchanged, he passed him by, ignoring Lyra in her entirety, even as she waved at him smiling.

"Huh?" Lyra said, looking at him as he hurried down the hall. "That was...peculiar. He's normally so inviting."

"We better count our blessings, then," Allan sighed in relief. "I really didn't feel like listening to one of his lectures."

After another five minutes of quiet walking, the two had made it to the Faculty Lounge, a small room on the fifth floor comprising of a table, a few chairs situated around it, a sofa that wasn't as comfy as others would assume by its puffy appearance, snack drawers, a sink table, and also an arcanetech refrigerator, though, considering Professor Knight was present, Allan suspected that there was nothing in the thing.

"Ah, look who it is!" Jared said happily, turning to greet Allan and Lyra with outstretched arms and a wide grin. "We were just talking about you! I had a bet going with Warren over there that you would have expelled five students by now, with him wagering that it'd be closer to eight or seven."

The Magihistory professor, who was sitting on the sofa at the opposite end of the room, chuckled as he fixed his glasses. Allan noticed Sideny as well, the blonde-haired woman tending to some dishes by the sink to his right. This was...surprising to see. Normally, when she wasn't teaching her classes, the Summoner would spend all her time in her office. People often nagged her about needing to have more of a social life, but even when she was his student, she'd always been one to keep her head crammed in her textbooks.

"Don't we look the fools?" Warren grinned, leaning forward on the sofa. "Normally, there'd be over ten students gone by now, and if they weren't lucky enough to be transferred to a different homeroom class, well, you're familiar with how these things play out."

"Needless to say, we were all a bit taken aback when we found out that you hadn't gotten rid of anybody," Jared said, Allan shuddering as the large man slapped him on the back with one of his massive hands. "Has that ever happened before? Or have you just not gotten around to pulling the bandaid off yet?"

"Oh, that's gotta be cruel. Making those poor kids think they're in the clear just for you to give them the boot a week later. Allan, if you're going to do it, do it already. I swear to Aeris, waiting this long won't make the job easier," Warren said, wagging his finger at him. "Hell, it won't make your students hate you any less either. Lyra, please, talk some sense into him. You're one of the only people around here he actually listens to, for better and for worse."

Lyra didn't say anything, merely pretending to get distracted by her notepad again. Allan imagined most thought of the woman as attractive—he sure as hell knew Warren did; the sulmo couldn't stop drooling whenever she was around—and it wasn't difficult to see why. In her original form, Lyra took on the appearance of a slender young woman with dark hair that reached her shoulders. One would rarely find her in anything else than her black-colored cloak—similar but not identical to his own—and feather shawl.

But her beauty came with a price, and should one be made aware of the baggage she'd towed since she was a girl, they'd probably stay clear of her just as they would him. But an outcast could confide in another outcast; until Allan found a way to break her curse, he'd keep her within his care. Even still, Warren knew about Lyra's condition, yet he consistently tried to court her regardless. Allan valued resolve above all else, but his was a different kind.

"Gentlemen, I think you're missing the point," Sidney smirked as she turned around to face them, leaning against the sink table. "A simple but far more jarring elucidation is that our dear Abyssal Sorcerer does, in fact, have a heart. A hard pill to swallow, yes, but this is the Era of Magic, where anything in our wildest imagination can take shape in the Physical Realm."

Jared burst into laughter, slamming his hands onto Allan's shoulder as he took a seat at the table. "Is that so?! Tell me it is!" he bellowed over him, gleaming his teeth that were as broad as bricks. "Has your new class won you over? Oh, there's no shame in admitting it."

"He's right," Warren snickered. "Everyone's capable of change, aren't they?"

"I've taught them for a handful of lessons now," Sideny chuckled, seating herself on the opposite end of the table so that she could stare directly at him. "I've to say, if I'm lucky, I'd only receive three or four students with enough aptitude to perform a successful Summon. Most of the time, my classes are relegated to going over spirit history and physiology. But, in your homeroom class, I've noted several mages capable of it. They're more skilled than the average novice; to that end, I can see why you wouldn't want to depart with any."

"Enough of this," Allan muttered, sipping on the cup of water Lyra had fetched for him. "My homeroom's affairs don't concern any of you."

Sidney sighed with disappointment. "Yes, of course. How foolish of us to pry. But, sir, yours isn't the only homeroom filled with specials. Jared and I have noticed it too."

"Hell, yeah, we have!" Jared exclaimed, holding a fist in front of him. "It's got me all fired up!"

"If ever there were a time to acknowledge the Magic Totatily Theory, it would be now," Warren said contently, sitting back on his sofa. "Honestly, it makes me happy to know that there are more mages out there now than there were centuries prior. It means some real progress is being made."

"It also means," Allan said, putting down the glass cup, "properly training the next generation is vital for Incante's future. Some might argue that we have the most important responsibilities in modern history." Allan waited for any of them to refute his statement, but he got none. Warren and Jared nodded in agreement as Sideny tapped a red-tinted fingernail on the table. "And so if I believe that every member of my homeroom class will benefit this future we seek to build, as well as embody the ideals of Faye Theodora and this academy, then you must trust it to be the case."

"Yes, yes, we're well aware of our expectations," Sidney said, straightening in her seat. "These students are as important to us as they are to you, sir. Please try and remember that." The woman gripped the crudely made bracelet in her fingers, and Allan looked away from her, frowning. Why she still insisted on wearing it, he would never know; a single glance at it catalyzed a swarm of horrible memories in his head.

"Far be it for any of us to doubt your judgment, Allan," Warren smiled. "Still, it's good to see that you have higher hopes for this batch than you did the last one."

"I'll say," Jared grunted. "It gets my heart racing to put those implings through the wringer!"

Why does he have to be so loud? Allan though, cringing. "I will show them the paths they aspire to take. I can only count on the rest of you to do the same."

The door at the front of the room opened, and in marched Terrence Newts again, dressed in a brown, high-collared overcoat that seemed a bit too large for him with a sash patterned by runes that hung over both of his shoulders. Each of his steps was followed by the click of the walking cane he was holding, its ruby gemstone head gripped in his gloved hand.

"Been wondering what kept you, Terry," Jared laughed. "Thought I might have to drag you out of your chambers myself."

"Oh, I say, Jared, it would appear that I lost track of the time," Terrence chuckled tiredly as he took his seat at the table, resting his walking cane beside him. "But I just couldn't help myself, you see? To skip on the finer details of the Aargon Plateau would be criminal. I'd never be able to respect myself as a legitimate professor if I glossed over such integral facts." Terrence cleared his throat as he laced his hands before him. "We're professionals in more than just name. Should these youth seek to gain the knowledge of the very fabric of this world, then so shall I answer their cries of yearning and grant them what they seek."

"The Aargon Plateau?" Sidney repeated. "But that's in Rymevar. Your syllabus doesn't cover that...oh, don't tell me you're going off script again." The Geography professor didn't reply, just stroked the frizzled mustache under his nose that had also turned silver. "Terrence, we've been over this. Stop teaching the students material that won't even be on their tests."

"Not to mention," Warren added, "it would mean you wouldn't always have to be so exhausted. I mean, look at yourself, man. You're getting up there in age, you know? Retirement's practically shouting your name. Now's not the time to be pushing yourself to the extreme."

"Ah! I'd wager now's precisely the right time!" Terrence exclaimed heartily. "As long as I draw breath, I'll continue my pursuit of knowledge about this great world!"

"By the Twin Sisters, I'm starting to wonder why you didn't decide to pursue a career as a Reacher instead," Warren joked. "You'd feel right at home there, sir."

"And what gives?" Allan inquired dryly. "I saw you coming from this direction earlier. Did you forget something? Or...please don't tell me you're planning on keeping us hostage with a lecture."

"Hmm? Now there's an idea! As it happens, would any of you care to hear about the tectonic activity in Ekenthall? It's quite interesting that—"

"I'll pass," Warren interrupted.

"Me too," Jared quickly followed.

Sidney breathed out and stared at the professor, focused. "Respectfully, I'll also decline, sir."

"Argh, you young pups. Never at all are you fascinated by the truly fantastical," Terrence said sourly. "And whatever do you mean, Ally? This is the first time I've seen you today."

Allan frowned. "Don't call me...wait, what?"

"Yes, sir," Terrence confirmed adamantly. "I may not be as young as the man I used to know, but my memory hasn't deteriorated a day."

Lyra furrowed her brows in bewilderment and glanced over at Allan, who returned her gaze with a piercing look of suspicion. They both understood what the other was thinking without exchanging a word. As the rest of them began obliviously rambling about...something, Allan took a determined stride toward Lyra, who was standing idly near the arcanetech refrigerator. "Get to the Gray Cage," he whispered into her ear. "I'll meet with them myself as soon as I'm able. I must see to another matter first."

"Yes, sir," Lyra said softly. "And what exactly should I tell them?"

"That there's an intruder on campus." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

308K 13K 54
When dark armies and evils of the past awaken in the 21st century, anicent powers choose four new dragon rider are chosen to be the guardians and pro...
Regular By Tori

Adventure

2.1K 79 26
Kate White isn't your typical teenage girl. No one in her life is. She is surrounded by witches, worlocks, vampires, sorcerers, and sorceresses. She...
622K 11.9K 36
The World of Magic is safe. At least, it used to be. A senseless act of violence at the Academy of Magic leaves two people dead and countless other...
9.5K 1.1K 129
This story is my happy place; I do not plan on ever finishing it. It will go on and on like a soapie. Might break it up into volumes later. "Grab a b...