Daughters of Chaos

By LAArms21

Two sisters. One MC. And a whole lot of drama. Phoenix and Raven never imagined that they'd lose so much so... More

*****
Note to Readers
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28

15

252 19 0
By LAArms21

Chapter Fifteen

Phoenix

It's been a strange couple of weeks. Everyone has been acting differently, almost as if they're on edge, waiting for something bad to happen. I don't know what to think of it.

Raven has been hovering, which is not something she ever does. Lace has been weird. And Raptor has shown up at the house several times to 'check out the new place'. Okay, so maybe that last one doesn't bug me so much, but he's even acting strange. Though, he does a better job at hiding it than Lace and my sister.

I just don't know what to make of any of it.

The extra time I've been able to spend with Raptor lately because of it- yeah, that's been amazing. He's opened up a bit more with me about things- his favorite bands, his hobbies, how he wanted to be a racecar driver when he was little. That part has been incredible. Almost incredible enough to make me forget how strange everyone is acting.

I decide to shrug it off as I head for my classes. At least I have that to distract me. It feels like part of my life is starting to finally come together. I've dreamed of getting my degree for so long, and now I'm finally taking the steps to get there.

Mom would be so proud.

I smile at the thought and let myself get lost in academia for the next several hours, not giving another thought to the way everyone has been acting. At least for a little while.

By the time my classes are finished for the day, it's late in the afternoon. A strange feeling overwhelms me as I walk to my car. It's an eerie feeling that sends shivers down your spine. The kind you get when it feels like someone is watching you.

I look around, checking my surroundings for anything that screams danger, and find nothing. I shake my head, laughing to myself. Way to go, Phoenix, freaking yourself out over nothing.

But the feeling doesn't go away. I'm about to jump in my car when I feel it again. Only this time, it's stronger. I look up and see a man staring at me from the next lane over. I've never seen him before in my life, and the look in his eyes makes my skin crawl.

In record time, I fly out of the parking lot and head home, taking a different route than usual, watching behind me to make sure I wasn't followed. When I'm certain no one is tailing me, I make my way home. I throw my car in park and let my head tilt against the seat.

This is stupid! No one was following you. The guy in the parking lot was probably just zoning out. You're being paranoid!

I shake my head again, chastising myself for letting so silly get to me. I mean really, why would anyone be keeping tabs on me? It's ridiculous.

Raven passes me in the kitchen on her way to work. "Hey, Nix. How were classes?"

"Great! I'm enjoying them so far," I tell her, tempted to mention the parking lot incident, but deciding against it. I'd hate to get her worked up over nothing.

"I'm glad to hear it. I've got to go, but if you're hungry, there are leftovers in the fridge."

As Raven disappears, I settle in to finish my homework. By the time everything is complete, my stomach is begging for food. I dig into the fridge and make myself a plate. My mouth is salivating as I punch in the time on the microwave and hit start.

Just as the machine fires up, the lights on the microwave go out with a flash. The buttons stop working and nothing I do magically fixes the faulty appliance. Crap!

I send a text to my dad, asking if he has the landlord's number. He set everything up for us when we moved in, saying the landlord was a friend of Bear's, but we never got a number to call if things went wrong. Strange, but I never thought much of it until now.

Instead of replying with a number, he tells me someone will be over shortly to take a look. Okay, that's odd, isn't it?

Before I can think much into it, a loud knock sounds on the front door. Raptor is standing outside with a toolbox in hand. As if he couldn't get any hotter...

I open the door, still shocked to find him standing there. "Hey! Did the landlord send you over?"

"Viper said you had a problem with your microwave."

"Yeah, it just blew up when I went to make lunch."

He quirks an eyebrow. "Blew up, huh?"

I stick out my tongue as I move aside to let him in. "I hit start and there was a flash. Then, boom, dead microwave."

The corners of his mouth twitch as he heads for the kitchen. "I'll take a look. See if it can be salvaged."

I lean against the wall as he sets down his toolbox, preparing to work on the appliance. A thought crosses my head that makes me stifle a giggle. Isn't this the plot of a bad porno?

Raptor hears me and shoots a questioning look my way. "You okay over there?"

I try to compose myself, pushing away the thought of Raptor staring in a home video in my kitchen. "All good," I lie.

He meets my gaze with a smirk. "Is that why you're blushing?"

My hands fly to my cheeks. The skin beneath them is radiating heat. Damn it!

He laughs. The sound echoes in a low rumble, making my thoughts go wild. "I'm going to check the breaker."

As he passes me, he stops, leaning close enough that I can feel his breath on my heated face. "I'll pretend I don't know you're imagining me shirtless in a home movie right now."

A strangled gasp escapes my lips as I watch him walk outside. How the hell did he know that? Am I that obvious?

When Raptor comes back inside, I busy myself cleaning up the living room. As much as I'd love to, I don't want to ogle him while he works. It's bad enough that he knows what I was thinking earlier.

"I think I found the problem. Need to change out the breaker. The power may shut off in here for a bit while I switch it out."

I nod, pretending not to be impressed at his prowess as a handyman. He knows how to fix electrical. God, that's hot!

When the job is done, the power returns and I hear a beep from the kitchen. The green numbers on the microwave screen are back on! I pull my plate back out of the fridge and test it out.

"Yes!" I cheer as the machine dings and out comes my plate of now piping hot chicken carbonara.

A chuckle sounds behind me. "I take it, everything's in working order now?" Raptor asks, leaning against the wall.

I nod as a huge smile spreads across my face. "It is! Thank you so much! You're a lifesaver."

"Happy to help."

I can't help but notice the way his arms bulge as he crosses his arms over his chest. Annnd here come those dirty thoughts again...

I clear my throat, motioning to the plate in front of me. "You want some?"

A smirk flashes on his face as he pulls his lower lip between his teeth. "I could eat," he tells me, his voice husky, making me think oh-so-naughty things.

I quickly turn away, feeling the blush returning to my skin as I make him a plate.

We eat in comfortable silence. The only thing I hear is the sexy hum in his throat as he enjoys his meal. When he catches me staring, he grins my way. "Did you make this?"

I shake my head. "Raven did. We take turns cooking. Last night was her turn," I tell him.

He looks surprised. "Wouldn't peg her as the home chef type."

I let out a small laugh. "I know, right? Mom taught us both how to cook when we were younger."

The memories of her come flooding back, and I feel my throat tighten.

"You miss her," Raptor says softly.

"I do." I force my voice not to crack, as the sting of tears pierces my eyes.

A warm hand covers mine. The gesture warms my heart, making my eyes water even more.

Desperate to change the subject so I don't break down in tears in front of the man I've dreamed about late at night, I ask, "So, earlier... How'd you know what I was thinking?"

His eyebrows come together as confusion shows on his face. Before I can clarify, his smirk returns as he figures it out. "You mean the home video thing?"

I nod, looking away feeling embarrassed.

Raptor laughs lightly before answering, "I mean, the setup was all there- single guy comes over to fix his hot neighbor's microwave... It's classic dollar bin porno."

I can't help but laugh at his explanation. He hit the nail on the head with that one. That's when something he said hits me. "You think I'm hot?"

His eyes find mine as he confesses, "I think you're hot and sexy, and beautiful."

My eyes widen as he continues, "I also think you're smart and funny, and kind."

The hand that's still holding mine tightens as my breath leaves my lungs. Before I know it, I'm leaning closer, our lips inches away as he does the same. Just as we're about to connect, to finally feel the sensation of his mouth on mine, the front door bursts open.

We jump apart to find Raven staring wide-eyed at us from the living room. "Uh, sorry to interrupt."

Raptor stands up and starts gathering his things as Raven shoots me an apologetic look.

"I should get going," he says. "Thanks for dinner."

"Yeah, no problem. Thanks for fixing the breaker." I walk with him to the door, sad to see him leave so soon.

Outside, he turns to me with a look of longing. "I'll see you later."

"Bye," I tell him as I watch him walk across the yard to his house.

I lean my forehead against the door as I seal it shut, hearing footsteps growing closer.

"I am so sorry," my sister tells me.

I shrug. "It's okay."

She hip-checks me and playfully replies, "So, working out a little handyman fantasy?"

I gape at her only to see her eyebrows wiggle. "No!" I check her shoulder lightly. "He was fixing a breaker. The microwave fried it."

"Mmm, the old 'hot guy fixes neighbor's appliance' bit," she teases.

"Shut up," I tell her, trying not to laugh.

"Maybe we need a sign. Ya know, like a hair tie on the door or a magnet. Something to say, 'hey, get lost for an hour.' That way we don't have another replay of tonight." She shoots me another sympathetic look as the last sentence rolls off her tongue.

"That's not a bad idea," I tell her. "I'd hate to walk in on you and Jesse in a compromising situation."

Raven's laughter fills the room, and I know I can't stay upset with her no matter how close that kiss came to becoming real. I feel my mouth curl up as I imagine how it would have felt.

My sister eyes me with a soft but serious look. "You really like him don't you?"

I nod, knowing my smile will give me away. "Yeah, I really do."

She's quiet for a moment as a pensive look comes across her face. "Just be careful, okay? Take things slow."

"I will," I tell her, knowing full well that it's a lie. 

A/N: 

Hope you are enjoying the story so far! If you are don't forget to vote, comment, and follow. Every story interaction helps keep the book in Wattpad's algorithm so other readers can find it more easily. 

Much love!

;) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

505K 15.7K 45
From the outside, it looks like Ivy Stephens has the perfect life. At 21 she is living with her boyfriend of 2 years, and he is a cop. After another...
294K 11.4K 58
Every King needs a Queen. Kingston is daring, dark, and chaotic. The cold leader of the Gang of Wolves has gotten himself into hot water. Seeking ret...
75.1K 1.9K 20
𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐃 ✔︎ 𝐀 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐅𝐈𝐀 𝐑𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄 ❧ 𝐋𝐢𝐧𝐚 𝐆𝐨𝐧𝐳𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐳 is a poor girl who's never had much. After runni...
785K 15K 26
They had known each other forever, she was his younger sister's best friend, hell he had viewed her as another little sister. He was the bad boy, the...