Stairways | A Surviving Summe...

By phoebewrites_14

Ari x Reader In the Shorehaven community, you're Y/n, Marlon's sister. After a year out, Ari Gibson is back s... More

Part 1 - Summer's Arrival
Part 2 - Disqualified
Part 3 - Party
Part 4 - Quarters
Part 5 - Training
Part 6 - Work
Part 7 - Ari's house
Part 8 - The Teachers
Part 9 - The Surf
Part 10 - Panic
Part 11 - Jackson Bay
Part 12 - First and Last
Part 13 - Shame
Part 14 - Before
Part 15 - Safe Bet
Part 16 - Apologise
Part 17 - Night Surf
Part 18 - The Reef
Part 19 - Aftermath
Part 20 - 360
Part 21 - Heat
Part 22 - Jealously, Jealousy
Part 23 -Forgiveness
Part 24 - The Hold Down
Part 25 - VIPs
Part 26 - The Party
Part 27 - Happiness
Part 28 - Deception
Part 29 - The Board
Part 30 - Secrets
Part 31 - Together
Part 32 - Breathe
Part 33 - Guilt
Part 34 - Closer
Part 35 - Surf Trip
Part 36 - Nightmares
Part 37 - Trust
Part 38 - Marlon
Part 39 - Warnings
Part 40 - Secret's Out
Part 41 - Gone
Part 42 - Getting Ready
Part 43 - The Plan
Part 44 - The Before Times
Part 45 - The Jump
Part 46 - Stairway
Part 47 - Falling
Part 48 - Wake Up
Part 49 - Plans
Part 50 - Shouting
Part 51 - Crashers
Part 52 - Alliance
Part 53 - Mood
Part 54 - Dare
Part 55 - Pizza
Part 56 - Thank You
Part 57 - The Ferry
Part 58 - In Time
Part 59 - Amends
Part 60 - Caught
Part 61 - Trouble
Part 62 - Break
Part 63 - Hints
Part 64 - The Airport
Part 65 - Simple
Part 66 - Season 1 Epilogue
Part 67 - Season 2 Prologue
Part 68 - Close
Part 69 - Selection
Part 70 - Pink
NOT AN UPDATE
Part 71 - Baxter
Part 72 - The State Team
Part 73 - Wren
Part 74 - Espresso
Part 75 - Team
Part 76 - Lunch
Part 77 - Team Bonding
Part 78 - Meeting
Part 79 - Deception: Part 2
Part 80 - Fire
Part 81 - Distance
Part 82 - Break Up
Part 83 - Strangers
Part 84 - Frozen
Part 85 - Help
Part 86 - Talent Search
Part 87 - Sabotage
Part 88 - Byron Bay
Part 89 - Makeup
Part 91 - Reputation
Part 92 - Blame
Part 93 - Disgrace
Part 94 - Party Planning
Part 95 - Passion
Part 96 - Fight
Part 97 - Morning
Part 98 - The Board (Part 2)
Part 99 - Decode

Part 90 - Photos

516 13 2
By phoebewrites_14

It's just after 12 o'clock when you and the others finally get down to the beach. There's a set up of deckchairs and surfboards and other props with that same orange hue as the outfits you're wearing.

Dice, the photographer does a few test shots of the ocean before turning to you all as you get into position. He seems cool from first impressions, obviously very enthusiastic about his work which is good, and he seems eager to start.

"Okay, guys, to set the scene: it's the 90s, Byron is still a secret surf spot and you guys are just frothing to get out there, okay?" He holds his camera up. "So, just show me what you got."

"Where do I look?" Poppy mutters, and Wren responds instantly, asserting herself as the knowledgeable one of the group. "Look straight at camera, shoulders back." She steps forward, taking her own advice, and Dice appears to like it.

"It's Wren, right? Okay, you're my superstar, so come forward." Dice says, beckoning her to take a few steps towards him. You try not to allow yourself to be irritated by Wren - she has done this before, so it would make sense that she knows what she's doing. It's irrational to be annoyed at her for this, but it doesn't stop your first curling at your side as she places one hand on her hip and poses naturally.

Wren and Bodhi go back to back, smiling widely as Dice continues to photograph them and you, Poppy and Summer are shoved to the side.

Summer nudges you, pointing to the rack of boards, and you follow her and grab one - they fit the vibe of the shoot, orange and reds with a stripe of white down the one you choose.

"Yes! Bring the boards in, I love it!" Dice exclaims dramatically, and you can't suppress a smile as you, Summer and Poppy all get in the picture together.

"Do you want me to get in the middle?" Wren asks, but Dice shakes his head.

"Maybe in a minute, this is perfect for now." Dice responds, and you can't push down the feeling of satisfaction that comes over you when you glimpse Wren's face.

After maybe an hour of photos, Dice puts his camera down. "Okay, I think that's a wrap. I think we got it," he nods, and you feel the others relax from their poses beside you. "What d'you think Molly?"

"Yeah, Dice I think we got it." Molly says efficiently - she's obviously on a tight schedule here, although she'd probably agree with whatever Dice says to keep him happy.

"Okay! That's it girls. That's a wrap." he says, placing his camera down gently on the table.

"Awesome, okay, Y/n, Poppy, Summer and Poppy let's get you in the water while it's still offshore." Molly says, picking up her clipboard.

Bodhi tenses beside you. "Wait, am I not surfing?"

"Uh, we might get to it later, but we just have a few more bikinis we want to get you in." Molly says, giving her a thumbs up, and you feel a pang of guilt for Bodhi, who you know wanted to have more surfing in her contract.

You and the others go to get changed into wetsuits and head into the water - it feels warmer than back home as you paddle out, and when you get out back the sun is in your eyes. The photographer is on the back of a jetski, which revs to get over a wave approaching.

Poppy catches the first one, and the jetski follows her in a little way before the wave closes out and she jumps off her board.

As the next set rolls in, you attempt to catch the third wave, which is usually a pretty good one, but Wren is making it impossible to catch a single decent wave. She keeps cutting you off, or distracting you when you're about to paddle in.

Finally, you manage to get the second wave in a pretty good set, and you're up instantly - the wave face is broad, so you manage to pull off a nice cutback. Suddenly, you notice Wren is on the wave too - she must have caught it at the same time behind you.

Even with the sound of the water in your ears you can still hear the sound of the camera clicking, and you're suddenly painfully aware of the fact that people aren't going to be looking at your surfing in these photographs, they're going to be looking at you. At what you're wearing.

The wave is about to close out, and you consider doing a pop shuvit at the end, but then you feel Wren's presence getting close behind you. Too close, and you decide to just jump straight into the remnants of the wave.

You slip, however, and feel your ankle twist as you launch yourself off the board.

"Shit." you mutter when you resurface. Your board is being tossed around in the white water, the leg rope yanking your ankle, which doesn't exactly help the throbbing pain starting to form there.

"You okay?!" you hear Summer call, and you put a thumb up, although you're struggling to tread water and keep your head above the surface.

You yank on your leg rope to lead your board towards you once the water has calmed down, and pull yourself up into a sitting position on the board.

"You sure you're okay?" Summer asks again, paddling over.

"Just twisted my ankle a little." you wince as you try to flex it in the water. A sharp pain shoots up the centre, and you let your leg go limp in the water.

"You wanna go back?" she asks, a look of sympathy crossing her face for a moment as she places her hand on your board to steady it when a wave comes.

You nod reluctantly - there's no way you can surf properly like this - maybe it'll be okay tomorrow, and you can pick up where you left off. Hopefully. Otherwise this whole trip will have been for nothing.

"You want me to come in with you?" she asks, and you shake your head, willing your burning arms to keep your body above water as you feel your grip slipping. No need for us both to miss out.

"No, I'll be fine, but thanks." you flash her a reassuring smile, and trying to not look too pathetic, you haul yourself fully onto the board and begin paddling into a wave to take you into shore.

It's when you get onto the beach that you let yourself feel a little sorry for yourself as you watch the others in the water. Your ankle is still throbbing slightly, but it's not swollen or bruised, so you imagine it'll be okay in a few days.

Bodhi is still having photos taken down by the water, although by the look on her face she's had enough already.

You take a seat on the sand, which sticks to your skin each time you move. You trace the lines of wax on your board next to you, willing the others to hurry up and finish their shoot so you can get back to the villa already.

A few metres away, you notice Dice put his camera down for a minute and Bodhi begins walking up the beach, her expression a mix of boredom and irritation.

"Hey, you okay?" you ask, stumbling in the sand as you try to catch up with her.

"I'm fine." she responds curtly, making her way to the changing rooms.

"You sure?"

"Yes," she picks up a new bikini and nearly slams the door of the changing room behind her. "What are you even doing out here?" she calls over.

"Twisted my ankle," you reply. "I think they're nearly done out there anyway."

"Great. There goes my chance of actually doing some surfing today. I've still got about six outfits they want me in," she opens the door, dressed in a new orange bikini. "Maybe they would be taking me more seriously if I'd made the State Team."

"Yeah..." you respond, not sure what to say to that exactly. "Maybe you could ask for more surf shots in your next contract?"

"Like that'll do anything. Apparently there's a reason Subtropix signed me, and it's not for my surfing." she says, barely looking at you as she paces the room, hanging her previous outfit on a hanger.

"So...why did they sign you?" you ask.

"Doesn't matter," she mutters. "Shouldn't you go find the others?" She gives you a small glare and you're slightly taken aback as you nod.

"Okay, yeah, I'll go." you reply, and head back in the direction of the sea. You hear Bodhi go back to having her photo taken with Dice, and you can't help but wonder what's got her in such a bad mood.

"Hey!" Summer runs in from the shallows. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good. I'll probably be fine for tomorrow," you say, forcing a smile. "Can't believe I twisted my ankle today of all days."

"Maybe it's karma." Wren smiles, trying to make it sound like a lighthearted joke, but you know what she's referring to. When she pretended you pulled her into the pool at team bonding, and then pretended she hurt her ankle. You fake smile back, and she narrows her eyes.

After drying off and changing into some proper clothes, you all pile back into the car and head back to the villa, thankfully. It's when Molly leaves to report back to Subtropix that Bodhi turns to you all, her expression turning cold and serious.

"Guys, I need to talk to you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 113 15
In which November and her twin get sent to Australia Or In which November Torres finally believes in love
71.2K 1.3K 45
I froze as I looked at Finn, my breath quickened as he looked back at me. His eyes saying, 'trust me' And I did ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ When his parents h...
15.2K 233 15
A troubled teen from New York gets sent to Los Angeles, California and is forced to live with her mothers old best friend. She learns what it means t...
23.5K 281 10
Shorehaven, a place you either love or hate, no in between. Some wish to stay here forever other want to never land a foot here. Mar can't picture he...