How to Stay Afloat

By Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... More

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~38: Where She Goes to Prom~

592 27 2
By Reeyu97

CHAPTER 38

Where She Goes to Prom

~~**~~

I smoothed down my dress for what seemed like the thousandth time. My heart was pounding. Archer was going to be here any minute now.

"Relax Fallon, you look amazing," Peyton told me gently.

"Yup." Caroline quipped from behind her as she put on her second coat of mascara. "You look hot as fuck. Archer is one lucky bastard"

I blushed at her words.

Mrs. Williams had insisted that Peyton and I come over before prom so she could do our makeup, she'd even hired a professional hair stylist to do our hair so for the first time my usually wild hair was silky smooth and ended in soft waves running down my back.

We were currently seated in Caroline's room waiting for the boys to come pick us up. Caroline had insisted that we wait upstairs instead of the living room downstairs because she wanted us to make a dramatic staircase entrance.

Caroline wore a beautiful long red silk dress with a slit up the side and Peyton was wearing a stunning shimmering gold cocktail gown. I was a little nervous because, unlike Caroline and Peyton who looked perfect in their new dresses, I'd had to make my dress myself from scratch. I'd found this beautiful iridescent sequin material at a thrift shop and fashioned it into a mermaid-style dress, with a sweetheart neckline and dual spaghetti straps that lead to a lace-up back. It looked nice enough but I wasn't a professional seamstress so it was far from perfect.

My phone buzzed and I could feel my heart flutter in excitement.

Caroline let out an excited squeal.

"The guys are here!"

~~**~~

I could hear Colton and Andrew's appreciative murmurs as Caroline and Peyton made their way downstairs before me.

My heart thudded wildly as I slowly made my way down the staircase, making sure I didn't trip in the lace-up pearl heels Caroline had lent me.

My breath stuttered in my chest as my eyes locked on Archer, he was talking to Colton so his back was to me but I could feel my heart rate pick up even further at the sight of him because Archer Hastings the boy who I'd only seen wearing grey, black and white stood before me wearing a deep teal colored velvet blazer and beige pants.

In my shock, I lost my footing on the last step and let out a surprised squeak as I gripped the railing to stabilize myself. Archer spun around quickly at my sound of distress, his arms extended to reach out for me but when he saw me he froze.

His eyes widened in awe as he took me in from head to toe. I could feel his gaze warming every inch of me.

I could hear his breath hitch.

"Wow." He murmured as if he was in a daze. Then he shook his head, getting a hold of himself, and offered me his hand. I took it with a shy smile.

He pulled me into a hug. "Fallon." He whispered in my ear. "You're the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes on."

Our lips met in a gentle kiss.

I smiled up at him as I fixed his light blue tie. "You look pretty damn amazing too Mr. Hastings." And I meant it. Even though it wasn't a conventional color for a vest it looked amazing on him, and it fit him perfectly.

I tapped his teal vest with my forefinger and winked. "Looks like my colorful sense of fashion is finally rubbing off on you."

His eyes lit up in amusement as he grasped the lapels of his blazer. "I didn't want to be known as the moron who managed to take Fallon Chambers to prom and chose to wear a boring black and white suit."

"Hey!" Colton said defensively as he gestured towards his black and white suit and we all burst out laughing.

~~**~~

"Hey! You and Archer match the theme perfectly!" Peyton called out to me over the loud music as we walked into the beautifully decorated gymnasium. The theme of the prom was 'Poseidon's Kingdom' and I'd selected the material and design of my dress because it reminded me of a mermaid and coincidentally Archer had dressed up in the colors of the ocean.

As we stopped at the refreshments table my eyes met with familiar blue ones. Colton Miller stood in the corner, one of his arms was wrapped around the waist of a brunette I didn't recognize. His lips tilted up at the corners in a small smile when our eyes met. I gave him a small wave and he raised the glass of punch he was holding in his other hand in my direction briefly in acknowledgment before turning his attention back to his date. 

The very next moment the girls were practically dragging me away towards the dance floor despite my protests that I was going to break my ankles in my heels if I tried to dance but a couple of songs later my heels were clutched in my hands as I swayed wildly to Dua Lipa's 'Dance the night away.' The DJ put 'Rasputin' on and we all squealed in delight as the guys joined us. All of us already knew the moves to the dance and I laughed affectionately when I saw Archer moving stiffly trying to keep up with the rest of us.

The track suddenly changed and a slow song I didn't recognize came on. Everyone around us started pairing up and swaying to the music.

Archer extended a hand towards me. He looked at me expectantly.

I grinned like a fool as I put my hand in his and laughed in delight when he completely swept me off my feet and swirled us around. I was still barefoot so he positioned me in a way that my feet came to rest on top of his shoes as he swayed us to the music.

When I tried to protest that his feet would hurt because of the weight he just silenced me with a lingering kiss that left me breathless.

We spent the next couple of hours laughing and dancing. It turned out to be one of the best nights of my life.

We cheered when Caroline and Colton were announced the prom king and queen and sang along to the indie band that was playing.

The night ended with a final slow dance and soon people started filing out.

"After-party at my place." Colton's loud voice boomed through the microphone onstage and people started cheering.

Just as Archer and I had started to make our way towards the exit Colton caught up to us.

"You guys are coming."

I gave him an awkward smile. "We were planning to go home..." I started to make an excuse

"I wasn't really asking." Colton cut me off and gave me a pointed look.

He turned to Archer,

"Oh and Hastings, don't forget to pick up  snacks on your way."

~~**~~

We stopped at a convenience store on the way to Colton's place. Archer was getting the drinks and I was standing in the chips aisle grabbing different flavors for Colton's party.

I'd just started to grab a bag of Cool Ranch Flavored Doritos when a feminine voice called out from behind me.

"Fallon?" There was a pause. "Fallon Chambers is that you?"

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion. I didn't recognize the voice. 

I turned to face the person who'd called my name and when I did the bag of chips I'd been holding slipped from my fingers and landed on the floor.

Everything inside me seemed to whither up and die when I saw who it was.

It had been years since I'd seen her but I'd recognize her face anywhere.

I still had nightmares about the things she and her brother did to me back in middle school.

The name-calling. The insults. The mental and physical abuse which had almost pushed me over the edge. I wouldn't be standing here today if it weren't for-

I blinked rapidly trying to clear my head of the nasty thoughts swimming through my head.

I tilted my chin up as I faced her. "Yes, it's me."

In front of me stood the girl who had made my life a living hell throughout middle school.

I was standing face to face with my childhood bully Jennifer Scott.

~~

A/N: Pictures of what I imagine Fallon and Archer's prom outfits to look like:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.1K 4.6K 57
Have you ever wondered what more you could be missing when you have everything? Well, Michelle Reynold who is 17, a senior, blond and beautiful, have...
2.2M 37.4K 22
How far would you go to protect the ones you love? A successful architect with a promising career in London, Brian's world spins out of control when...
84.3K 3.1K 26
"Ashton, I know I'm not the usual type of pretty cheerleader you usually hang out with. I'm not sexy, I'm not attractive, and I'm absolutely no fun...
554K 29.2K 74
Emily Willows longs for passion, but only with the man of her dreams: the brilliant and dashing Edward Jones. If only her oblivious, dreaming neighbo...