Saving Ella

By TheQuietHufflepuff

"Find Ella McKinney." That's all his father had said. And Dean Winchester had no idea where to start. But whe... More

Aesthetic
00
I
01
02
03
04
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21

05

44 3 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

[Simon Said]

Sam gasped, leaning over the sink in a dingy bathroom with the water running. He'd just seen a man ask for a gun, then shoot himself.

"No..." Sam said, running a hand under the water. He washed his face and scrubbed the hand through his hair. As he shut the water off and looked into the mirror, the door burst open to reveal Dean and Ella.

"Sam, come on, zip it up," Dean said. "Let's hit the... road. What?"

Sam was breathing heavily and blinking.

---

Dean drove the Impala down a dark two-lane road. Sam was in the passenger's seat and Ella was in back.

The radio announcer said, "Rockin' Nebraska. Your source for the classics, all night long."

"I don't know, man, why don't we just chill out, think about this."

Sam shut off the radio. "What's there to think about?"

"I just don't know if going to the Roadhouse is the smartest idea."

"Dean, it's another premonition. I know it. This is gonna happen, and Ash can tell us where."

"Yeah, man, but..."

"Plus it could have some connection with the demon. My visions always do."

"That's my point. There's gonna be hunters there, I don't know if, if, if going in and announcing that you're some supernatural freak with a, a demonic connection is the best thing, okay?"

"So I'm a freak now?"

Dean slapped Sam on the thigh. "You've always been a freak."

Ella sighed and rolled her eyes.

---

They reached the Roadhouse and entered the Roadhouse, passing two men at a table cleaning weapons. One glanced at Ella's backside and she narrowed her eyes. "Eyes somewhere else, dude."

Dean almost ran into Jo, who stopped, smiling.

"Just can't stay away, huh?" Jo asked.

"Yeah, looks like," Dean replied. "How you doin', Jo?"

"Where's Ash?" Sam questioned hurriedly.

"In his back room," Jo answered.

Sam brushed past her. "Great."

"And I'm fine..."

"Sorry, he's, we're... kind of on a bit of a timetable," Dean said.

"A pretty big one," Ella added.

Sam approached a rough wooden door with a sign hanging on it that read: DR. BADASS IS: IN.

Sam knocked on the door. "Ash? Hey, Ash?"

Dean and Ella were also knocking. "Hey, Dr. Badass?"

The door was unlatched and opened a crack to reveal a naked Ash. Dean averted his eyes and Ella met Ash's eyes.

Ash poked his head out. "Sam? Dean? Ella? Sam, Dean and Ella."

"Hey, Ash," Sam greeted. "Um. We need your help."

"Well, hell then. Guess I need my pants." He shut the door.

The trio returned to the main area of the Roadhouse and Ash soon joined.

Ash was sitting at a table with his laptop open, looking at the hand-drawn sketch of the bus logo from Sam's vision. Sam sat across from him while Dean and Ella stood behind.

"Well, I got a match," Ash said. "It's the logo from the Blue Ridge bus lines in Guthrie, Oklahoma."

"Okay," Sam replied. "Do me a favor - check Guthrie for any demonic signs, or omens, or anything like that."

"You think the demon's there?"

"Yeah, maybe."

"Why would you think that?"

"Just check it, all right?" Dean and Ella told Ash.

Ash gave them a look and the trio frowned at each other. "No, sir, miss, nothing. No demon."

"All right, try something else for me. Search Guthrie for a house fire," Sam suggested. "It would be 1983, fire's origin would be a baby's nursery, night of the kid's six month birthday."

Ash looked at him, startled, and Dean and Ella looked around to check for eavesdroppers. Jo, who was cleaning a nearby table, was watching them.

"Okay, now that is just weird, man. Why the hell would I be looking for that."

Sam pulled out a beer bottle and set it next to the laptop. "'Cause there's PBR in it for ya."

"Give me 15 minutes."

Jo pressed a few buttons on the jukebox and the opening chords to REO Speedwagon's Can't Fight This Feeling played. Dean sat at the bar with a horrified expression on his face. Jo carried a tray to the bar and set it down, catching his eye.

A small frown crossed Ella's face and she glanced at Jo who smirked lightly.

"REO Speedwagon?" Dean questioned.

"Damn right, REO. Kevin Cronin sings it from the heart," Jo replied.

"He sings it from the hair. There's a difference."

"That profile you've got Ash looking for?"

"Hmm."

"Your mom died in the same way, didn't she? A fire in Sam's nursery?"

"Look, Jo, it's kind of a family thing."

"I could help."

"I'm sure you could. But we've got to handle this one ourselves. Besides, if I ran off with you, I think your mother might kill me."

Ellen, who was cleaning glasses behind the bar, looked at him and he smiled nervously.

"You're afraid of my mother?" Jo questioned.

"I think so."

Sam and Ella hurried up behind Jo as the former said, "We have a match. We've gotta go."

"All right, Jo," Dean said. "See you later."

---

They got into the Impala and Dean sang along to Can't Fight This Feeling.

"You're kidding, right?" Sam said.

"I heard the song somewhere, I can't get it out of my head, I don't know, man," Dean replied. "Whaddya got?"

"Jo played it in the bar," Ella stated, ignoring the look Dean gave her.

"Shut up. Sam?"

Sam looked through a stack of papers. "Andrew Gallagher. Born in '83, like me. Lost his mother in a nursery fire exactly six months later."

"You think this demon killed his mom?"

"Sure looks like it."

"How'd you even know to look for this guy?" Ella asked.

"Every premonition I've had, if they're not about the demon, they're about the other kids the demon visited. Like Max Miller, remember him?"

"Yeah, but Max Miller was a pasty little psycho," Dean remembered.

"The point is he was killing people. And I was having the same type of visions about him. And now it could be happening all over again with this Gallagher guy."

"How do we find him?" Ella wondered.

"Don't know. No current address, no current employment. He still owes money on all his bills - phone, credit, utilities..."

"Collection agency?" Dean questioned.

"None in the system."

"They just let him take a walk?"

"Seems like it. There's a work address from his last W-2, about a year ago. Let's start there."

---

The trio changed attire and made their way to a coffee shop. Sam and Dean, in suits, and Ella in a blouse and slacks, were sitting at a table.

"You won't get anything out of Andy, guys," Tracy said. "I'm sorry, but they never do."

""They"?" Sam repeated.

"You're debt collectors, right? Once in awhile they come by. I don't know what Andy says to them but they never come back."

"Actually, we're, we're lawyers," Dean told her. "Representing his Great Aunt Leta. She passed, God rest her soul, and left Andy a sizable estate."

"Yeah," Sam agreed. "So are you a friend of his?"

"I used to be, yeah. I don't see much of Andy anymore," Tracy admitted.

"Andy? Andy kicks ass, man," Weber said.

"Is that right?" Dean questioned.

"Yeah. Andy can get you into anything. He even got me backstage at Aerosmith once, it was beautiful, bro."

"How about bussing a table or two, Weber?" Tracy suggested.

"Yeah. You bet, boss."

"Look, if you want to find him, try Orchard Street. Just look for a van with a barbarian queen painted on the side."

"Barbarian queen?" Ella repeated.

"She's riding a polar bear. It's kind of hard to miss."

---

Dean, Sam and Ella staked out Orchard Street, watching the van-with-barbarian-queen.

"I'm sorry, I'm starting to like this dude," Dean said. "That van is sweet." He looked at Sam. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Sam replied.

Ella repeated Sam's expression before saying, "Sam, you look like you're sucking on a lemon, what's going on?"

"This Andrew Gallagher, he's the second guy like this we've found, Dean, Ella. Demon came to them when they were kids, now they're killing people."

"We don't know what Andrew Gallagher is, all right? He could be innocent," Dean reassured.

"My visions haven't been wrong yet."

"What's your point?"

"My point is, I'm one of them."

"No, you're not," Dean and Ella said.

"Dean, Ella, the demon said he had plans for me and children like me."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, maybe this is his plan, maybe we're all a bunch of psychic freaks, maybe we're supposed to be-"

"What, killers?" Dean interrupted.

"Yeah."

"So the demon wants you out there, killing with your minds, is that it? Come on, give me a break. You're not a murderer, Sam! You don't have it in your bones."

"No? Last I checked, I kill all kinds of things."

"Those things were asking for it," Ella reasoned. "There's a difference."

Dean and Ella looked out the window, away from Sam. Andy exited a building, wearing pajamas and a long satin robe embroidered with dragons.

"Got him," Sam said.

A woman in a second story window waved to Andy, who blew her a kiss. Andy greeted a man on the street, who smiled at him and handed Andy his coffee. Further along, Any greeted Dr. Jennings and shook his hand.

"That's him," Sam told his brother and Ella. "That older guy, that's him, that's the shooter."

"All right, you keep on him, I'll stick with Andy. Go."

Sam and Ella got out of the car and followed Dr. Jennings on foot. Andy got in his van and drove off, Dean followed in his car.

A few minutes later, Andy stopped and got out of the van, walking back to Dean, who tucked a handgun into his jacket.

"Hey," Andy greeted.

"Hey, hey," Dean replied.

"This is a cheery ride."

"Yeah, thanks."

"Man, the '67? Impala's best year if you ask me. This is a serious classic."

"Yeah. You know, I just rebuilt her, too."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, can't let a car like the one go."

"Damn straight. Hey. Can I have it?"

"Sure, man."

Dean got out of the car, smiling, to let Andy in the driver's side.

"Sweet," Andy commented.

"Hop right in there," Dean said. "There ya go."

"All right," Dean said.

Andy drove off in the Impala, leaving Dean standing in the street, looking confused.

---

Sam and Ella watched Dr. Jennings from a short distance. Dr. Jennings' phone rang, just like in Sam's vision, and he answered.

"Hello. Yeah," Dr. Jennings said.

Sam and Ella saw the Blue Ridge bus approach and crossed in front of it towards the sporting goods store. They ran up the steps, entered, and looked around. They saw the clerk and bystanders from his vision. They turned and Sam pulled the fire alarm.

Dr. Jennings approached the store, but heard the alarm go off and he stopped, confused, then turned and walked away.

Sam and Ella left the store and went down to the street where he saw Andy drive by in the Impala. They stared in shock.

Dr. Jennings got another call. "Hello? Yeah? All right."

Sam called his brother. "Dean! Andy's got the Impala!"

"I know!" Dean replied. "He just sorta asked me for it and I, I let him take it."

"You what?" Sam and Ella asked.

"He full-on Obi-Wanned me. It's mind control, man, Frankie!"

Sam and Ella watched in horror as Dr. Jennings walked in front of a bus, which slammed into him at full speed.

As the paramedics put Dr. Jennings' into a body bag, Sam and Ella sat on the curb nearby. Dean crouched behind him hand on his back. He placed a gentle hand on Ella's shoulder, but she shrugged him off.

"Ella and I kept him out of the gun store," Sam said. "I thought he was okay. I thought he was past it, at least... She and I should have stayed with him."

---

The trio found the Impala and walked up to it.

"Thank God!" Dean exclaimed. "I'm sorry, baby. I'll never leave you again. Well, at least he left the keys in it."

"Yeah," Sam said. "Real Samaritan, this guy."

"Well, it looks like he can't just work his mojo just by twitching his nose, he's gotta use verbal commands," Dean told Sam and Ella.

"The doctor had just gotten off his cell phone when he stepped in front of that bus. Andy must have called him or something."

"I don't know, maybe," Dean replied.

"Beg your pardon?" Sam and Ella asked.

"I just don't know if he's our guy, Sam, Frankie."

"Dean, you had O.J. convicted before he got out of his white Bronco, and you have doubts about this?" Sam said.

"He just doesn't seem like the stone-cold killer type, that's all," Dean answered. "You know. And O.J. was guilty."

"Either way, how are we going to track this guy down?"

Dean took a moment to think. "Not a problem."

---

Dean, Sam and Ella approached Andy's blue van from the back.

"Not exactly an inconspicuous ride. Let's have a look."

Ella pulled out a small crowbar from her jeans back pocket and pried open the back door. Porn music played as the interior was revealed: disco ball, fur rugs, a tiger painted on the wall, several thick books, and an enormous bong.

"Oh," Dean said. "Oh, come on. This is... this is magnificent, that's what this is. Not exactly a serial killer's lair, though. There's no... clown paintings on the walls, or scissors stuck in victims' photos. I like the tiger."

Sam looked at the books. "Hegel, Kant, Wiggenstein? That's some pretty heavy reading, Dean."

Dean gestured to the bong. "Yeah, and uh, and Moby Dick's bong."

---

They left the van and made their way to an abandoned lot. They sat in the parked Impala. Dean was eating something in a foil wrapper and Sam and Ella studied a stack of papers.

"Ugh," Dean groaned. "You know, one day I'd love to just sit down and eat something I didn't have to microwave at a minimart."

"What I don't get is the motive," Sam said. "I mean, the doctor was squeaky clean, why would Andy waste him?"

"If it is Andy," Dean muttered.

"Dude, enough."

"What?"

"The doctor was mind-controlled in front of a bus. Andy just happens to have the power of mind-control. You do the math."

"I just don't think the guy's got it in him, that's all."

"Well, how the hell would you know? I mean, why are you bending over backwards defending him?"

Ella glanced at the younger Winchester. "I don't think you're right about this. Sorry, Sam, but Dean's got a point." She noticed Dean's smirk. "Oh, stop. I only agreed with you. It's nothing huge."

"About Andy?"

Andy suddenly appeared at Sam's open window, slammed his hands down, and leaned in. Ella quickly covered her ears, not wanting to hear yelling.

"Hey!" Andy called. "You think I haven't seen you three? Why are you following me?"

The last sentence reverberated and Dean looked stunned. Ella was still covering her ears.

"Well, we're lawyers," Sam explained calmly. "See, a relative of yours has passed aw-"

"Tell the truth!" Andy's voice echoed.

"That's what I'm-"

"We hunt demons," Dean said.

Andy frowned. "What?"

"Dean!" Sam called.

"Demons and spirits. Things your worst nightmares wouldn't even touch. Sam here, he's my brother. Ella here, she's my... I don't know what, but she is pretty."

"Dean, shut up!"

"I'm trying. See, he's a psychic. Kind of like you. Well, not really like you, but see, he thinks you're a murderer, and he's afraid that he's going to become one himself, 'cause you're all part of something that's terrible. And Ella and I hope he's wrong but we're starting to get a little scared that he might be right."

"Okay, you know what? Just leave me alone," Andy told them.

"Okay."

"All right?"

Dean cringed, holding his head. Sam got out of the car, following Andy.

"What are you doing?" Andy asked. "Look, I, I said leave me alone. All right? Get out of here, just start driving and never stop."

"Doesn't seem to work on me, Andy," Sam said.

"What?"

"You can make people do things, can't you? You can tell them what to think."

Dean and Ella had gotten out of the car; Sam held up a hand, warning them not to come closer.

"That... that's crazy."

"It all started a year ago, didn't it?" Sam questioned. "After you turned 22. Little stuff at first, and then you got better at controlling it."

"How do you know all this?"

"Because the same thing happened to me, Andy. My mom died in a fire, too. I have abilities too. You see, we're connected, you and me."

"You know what? Just, just, just, just get out of here, all right?!"

"Why did you tell the doctor to walk in front of a bus?"

"What?"

Sam got a vision. He saw a fire and a hand holding a gas pump. He cringed. His vision continued in pieces as he tried to focus on Andy.

"Why did you kill him?" Sam asked.

"I didn't!"

Sam cringed again as the vision hit him with full force. He saw a middle-aged blonde woman with leather gloves and a long black coat pumping gas into an SUV. Her phone rang and she answered. Moments later, the woman hung up her phone and leaned into the car, pressing down the cigarette lighter. She pulled out the gas pump and started drenching herself in gasoline. A gas station employee across the way saw her and asked what she was doing. Holly pulled the cigarette lighter out and stepped into the open, holding her arms out and reassured the employee. She lowered the cigarette lighter to her drenched arm and the employee called out to her. Holly burst into flames as the man watched in horror and the vision ended.

Sam, who had his hands on his head, started to fall. Dean and Ella ran over to catch him and lowered him gently to the ground.

"Sam? What is it?" Dean and Ella asked.

"Look, I didn't do anything to him," Andy said.

"What else'd you get?" Dean questioned.

"A gas station, a woman is gonna kill herself," Sam informed.

"What does he mean, going to?" Andy asked. "What is he, what is-"

"Shut up!" Ella yelled.

"She gets triggered by a call on her cell," Sam explained.

"When?" Dean asked.

"I don't know." Dean helped him stand. "But as long as we keep our eyes on this son of a bitch, he can't hurt her."

"I didn't hurt anybody," Andy protested.

"Yeah, not yet."

A fire engine roared past, sirens blaring. They turned to watch it.

Sam glanced to his brother and Ella. "Go."

Dean and Ella ran off to follow the siren. Andy tried to step past Sam, who stopped him with a hand on his chest.

"No, not you," Sam said. "You're staying with me."

---

Dean and Ella made their way to the gas station and found they were too late.

The firemen were putting out the fire.

Dean called Sam on his cell. "Hey, it's me. She's dead. Burned up, just like you said."

"When?" Sam asked.

"Like minutes before Ella and I got here, I mean, the smell hasn't even cleared. What's up with your visions, man? This wasn't even a head start."

"I don't know, all right? I can't control them, I don't know what the hell is going on."

Ella took the phone from Dean. "Listen, you were with Andy when this whole thing went down, so it, it can't be him, it's gotta be someone else doing this."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"What else is new? Dean and I'll dig around here, see what else we can find."

VACANT LOT

Sam and Andy sat across from each other on an abandoned truck.

"So you get these premonitions of people about to die?" Andy asked and Sam nodded. "That's impossible."

Sam laughed. "A lot of people would say the same thing about what you do."

"But... death visions."

"Yeah."

"Dude, that sucks. I mean, like, when I got my mind thing? It was like a gift, you know, it was, it was like I won the lotto."

"But you still live in a van. I don't get it, I mean, you could, you could have anything you ever wanted."

"I mean, I, I got everything I need."

"So you're really not a killer, huh?"

Andy laughed. "That's what I've been trying to tell you!"

"That's good. Means there's hope for both of us."

Dean and Ella pulled up in the Impala and Sam and Andy stood.

Dean and Ella got out of the car before he said, "Victim's name was Holly Becket, 41, single."

Sam looked at Andy. "Who is she?"

"I've never heard of her," Andy replied.

"Called Ash on the way here, he came up with a little something," Dean told them. "Apparently Holly Becket gave birth when she was 18 years old, back in 1983. Same day you were born, Andy."

"Andy, were you adopted?" Sam asked.

"Well, yeah," Andy replied.

Ella frowned. "You were? And you just forgot to mention that?"

"Never really came up. I mean, I, I never knew my birth parents, and like you said, my adopted mom died when I was a baby - do you, do you think this Holly woman could actually be my m-"

Dean cut him off. "I don't know. Ella and I tried to get a copy of the birth records, but they're hard copy only, sealed in the county office."

"Well, screw that."

---

They made their way to the records office. As Sam, Dean and Francesca looked through boxes of files, Andy walked an elderly security guard to the door."

"Probably shouldn't have left you kids in here," the guard said.

"No, it'll all be fine," Andy reassured. "All right? Just go get a cup of coffee." As the guard left, he continued in a dramatic voice. "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Dean grinned. "Awesome."

Ella let out a sigh and shook her head.

"I got it," Sam informed.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Andy, it's true. Holly Becket was your birth mother."

"Huh," Andy noted. "Does anyone have a Vicodin?"

"Dr. Jennings was her doctor, too, I mean, he oversaw the adoption. You have a solid connection to both of them."

"Yeah, but I didn't kill them."

"We believe you," Dean said.

"Yeah," Sam agreed.

"But uh, who did?" Dean wondered.

Ella met his eyes. "I got a pretty good guess. Holly Becket gave birth to twins."

Andy sat with both hands on his head, staring straight ahead in shock. Dean was standing by a nearby printer, Ella was sitting on a table, and Sam was pacing with a folder in his hands.

"I have an evil twin," Andy said.

"Holly put you and your brother up for adoption," Sam explained. "And you went to the Gallagher family, obviously, and your brother went to the Weems family from upstate."

"Andy, how you doin'? Still with us?" Dean asked.

"Um. What was my brother's name?" Andy questioned.

"Here," Sam said. "Um, Ansen Weems. He's got a local address."

"He lives here?"

"Let's get a look at him," Dean suggested. "Got his picture coming off from the DMV right now." He pulled some papers from the printer and looked at them in surprise. "Hate to kick you while your freaked. Take a look at that." He showed one of the pages to Andy, who looked up in shock.

---

Dean drove the Impala down a dark road with Sam next to him and Andy and Ella in the back seat.

"All right, Andy. Tell us everything you know about this guy," Sam said.

"Well, I mean, not much," Andy admitted. "I... Weber shows up one day, eight months ago? Acting like he's my best friend in the world. Kinda weird, like, trying to hard, you know?"

Sam started cringing and rubbed his eyes.

"Must have known you guys were twins," Dean noted. "Why did he change his name? Why not just tell you the truth?"

"No idea."

"Aah!" Sam cried.

"Sam?" Dean and Ella called.

Sam got another vision of Tracy crying and jumping off the bridge. He yelled in panic and struggled with the door.

"Sam?" Dean and Ella called again. "Sam! Sam!"

Dean stopped the car as Sam shoved the door open, leaning out. Dean and Ella got out, Dean ran around the car, to kneel beside him and Dean grabbed Sam's shoulders while Ella placed her hands on his arms.

"Hey! Hey!" Dean cried.

Moments later, they got back in the car and stopped near the bridge. Sam, Dean and Ella got out and circled around to the trunk, which Dean opened.

"Dean, Ella, you two should stay back," Sam said.

"No argument here," Dean agreed. "Had my head screwed with enough for one day."

Ella nodded. "Sure, Sam."

Sam pulled out a handgun. As he walked forward, he was stopped by Andy, who had gotten out of the car.

"I'm coming with you," Andy said.

"Andy, no," Sam replied.

"Because it's Tracy out there, and I'm coming."

Sam walked up to Tracy and Weber and the window behind Weber's head shattered.

Sam shoved a handgun in Weber's face and yelled, "Get out of the car! Now!"

"You really don't want to do this," Weber said.

Sam backhanded him, hard. On the other side, Andy opened the door and pulled Tracy out.

"Tracy!" Andy called. "Come here, come here, come here. It's okay."

"I can't control myself," Tracy told him.

Sam opened Weber's door and pulled him out of the car. He pinned him facedown over the pavement with the gun aimed at his head. "Don't move. Don't move!"

Andy ran over to them and shoved a strip of duct tape over Weber's mouth. He reared back and kicked Weber twice, furious.

Sam pushed him back. "No! No, Andy, let me handle this, all right?"

"I'm gonna kill you!" Andy cried.

"No! I'll handle this, I'll handle this!"

"I will kill you!"

"Andy! Listen to me! Listen to me!"

Weber stared at Tracy, who picked up a large stick and hit Sam on the back of the neck with it. He went down, unconscious. Andy turned to her as Weber stood.

Ella clasped her hands together and watched the scene play out. Dean, after a moment's hesitation, took her hand to reassure them both. She frowned, pulling her hands away.

"Tracy, stop! I said STOP IT!" Andy ordered.

Tracy dropped the stick and backed away, terrified. Andy turned back to Weber, who pulled the duct tape from his mouth.

"How did you do that?" Andy asked.

"Practice, bro," Weber replied. "If you'd just practice, you would know. Sometimes you don't need to use your words. If you have to," he tapped his forehead, "all you need is this. Sometimes the headache's worth it."

Andy grabbed Weber. "You're a twisted son of a bitch!"

"Back off, Andy. Or Tracy's gonna do a little flying." Andy turned in horror to see Tracy standing on the ledge. "Aren't you, Trace?" He turned back to Andy. "I'm stronger than you. I can do it."

"Okay, okay. Okay. All right, just... just please don't hurt her."

"Don't be mad at me, okay? I know, it's, it's all wrong. I didn't mean for this to happen, it's just... Tracy? She's trying to come between us."

"You're insane."

"She's garbage! Man, they all are. We can, we can push them, we can make them do whatever we want!""

"Are you really... Are you really this stupid?"

"Wha-"

"I mean, you, you learn you've got a twin..." Sam started coming to, "...you call him up, you go out for a drink, you don't start killing people!"

"I've wanted to tell you for so long, bro. But he didn't let me. He said I had to wait until the time was..."

"Who?"

"The man with the yellow eyes."

"What are you talking about?"

"He came to me. In my dreams. He said I was special. He told me he's got big plans for me. Wait 'till you see what's in store, Andy, for both of us! See, he's the one who told me I had a brother. A twin."

In the woods, within shooting distance, Dean stalked to a hiding place with a sniper rifle, followed by Ella.

"Why did you kill our mother?" Andy asked. "Why, and why Dr. Jennings?"

"Because they split us up!" Weber exclaimed. "They ruined our lives, Andy! We could have been together the whole time. Instead of alone. I couldn't, I couldn't let them do that, I couldn't let them get away with that. No."

Dean crouched in the shadows and lined up the shot, Ella behind him with her gun in hand.

Weber turned, hearing something. He peered into the distance, into Dean and Ella's hiding place. "I see you two. Bye-bye."

Dean turned the rifle and pointed it at Ella's head, and he looked at her with an expression conveying fear and panic.

A gunshot went off. Weber convulsed. Andy had shot him in the back. Weber fell and Andy lowered the gun with shaking hands.

Dean dropped the gun and said, "Hey, Ella, I won't hurt you. You know that, right?"

Ella nodded. "I know. You're not killing me."

"What does that mean?"

She smiled and shook her head. "None of uphr concern. And don't you be bringing it up again."

"Ella-"

"Dean!"

"Right. Um, okay."

Morning came and rescue and police crews arrived on scene. Andy was talking to three police officers with a confident stance. Sam was crouching by a wall as a paramedic tended to his shoulder. Dean and Ella stood at his side.

"He shot himself," Andy said. "And you all saw it happen."

"Yeah. We did," the policeman replied.

"Look at him. He's getting better at it," Sam noted.

Andy passed an ambulance where Tracy was sitting, a blanket around her shoulders. She avoided his eyes.

Andy approached Sam, Dean and Ella before saying,  "She won't even look at me."

"Yeah, she's pretty shaken up," Sam agreed.

"No, it's, this is different. It's, uh, I never, I never used my mind thing on her before. Before last night. She's scared of me now."

"Hey, Andy, I hate do do this, but um, we have to get out of here. Here. I wrote down my cell. You don't have to be alone in this, all right? If anything comes up, just call me up."

"Wha- what am I supposed to do now?"

"You be good, Andy," Dean told him. "Or we'll be back."

Ella nodded. "You be a good, upstanding citizen."

As they walked away, Sam said, "Looks like I was right."

"About what?" Dean and Ella asked.

"Andy. He's a killer after all."

"No, he's a hero," Dean corrected. "He saved his girlfriend's life, he saved my life, and Ella's."

"Bottom line, last night, he wasted somebody."

"Yeah, but he's not a foaming-at-the-mouth psycho. He was just, he was pushed into that."

"Weber was pushed too, in his own way. Max Miller was pushed. Hell, I was pushed by Jessica's death."

"What's your point, Sam?" Ella asked.

"Right circumstances, everyone's capable of murder. Everyone. You know, maybe that's what the demon's doing. Pushing us. Finding ways to break us."

"Sam, we don't know what the demon wants, okay? Quit worrying about it," Dean said.

"You know, I heard you before, Dean, when Andy made you tell the truth. You're just as scared of this as I am. I think Ella might be too."

"That was mind-control! I mean, it's like, that's like being roofied, man, that doesn't count."

"What?"

"No. I'm, I'm calling do-over."

"What are you, seven?"

"Doesn't matter. Look, we've just gotta keep doing what we're doing, find that evil son of a bitch and kill it."

"Yeah, I guess."

Dean's phone rang and he answered. "Hello? Ellen? What's going on? Yeah, we'll be right there."

---

They made their way to the Roadhouse and sat at the bar. Ellen was behind it and Jo walked around the outside.

"Jo?" Ellen called.

"Hmm?" Jo hummed.

"Go pull up another case of beer."

"Mom..."

"Now. Please."

As Jo left, Ellen leaned on the bar in front of Sam, Dean and Ella and said, "So. You uh, you want to tell me about this last hunt of yours?"

"No," Dean replied. "Not really. No offense, it's just kind of a family, need-to know thing."

"Not anymore." Ellen dropped a stack of papers on the bar. "I got this stuff from Ash. Andrew Gallagher's house burnt down on his six month birthday, just like your house. You think it was the demon both times, don't you? You think it went after Gallagher's family?"

"Yeah, we think so," Sam answered.

"Sam..." Dean began.

"Why?" Ellen questioned.

"None of your business."

"You mind your tongue with me, boy. This isn't just your war, this is war. Now, something big and bad's coming and it's coming fast, and their side holds all the cards. Now, at best all we got is us. Together. No secrets or half-truths here."

"There are people out there, like Andy Gallagher, like me," Sam explained. "And um, we all have some kind of ability."

"Ability?"

Dean rolled his eyes, uncomfortable, and Ella looked between the group.

"Yeah. Psychic ability. Me, I have, um, I have visions. Premonitions. I don't know, it's different for everybody. The demon said he had plans for people like us."

"What kind of plans?"

"We don't really know for sure."

"These people out there, these psychics. Are they dangerous?"

Ella shook her head. "No. Not all of them."

"But some are," Sam said. "Some are very dangerous."

"Okay, how many of them are we looking at?" Ellen questioned.

"We've been able to track a clear pattern so far," Dean replied. "They've all had house fires on the night of the kid's six month birthday."

"That's not true," Sam said.

"What?" Dean and Ella asked.

"Weber? Or Ansen Weems, or whatever his name is, I looked at his files, and there was no house fire. Nothing out of the ordinary."

"Which breaks pattern," Ellen noted. "So if there's any others like him, there'd be nothing in the system. No way to track 'em all down."

"And so who knows how many of 'em are really out there?"

"Jo, honey?" Ellen called.

"Yeah?" Jo answered.

"You'd better break out the whiskey instead."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 348 58
Cataleya and Dean absolutely despise each other. She thinks him a flirtatious prick and he thinks her a stuck-up princess. But when his father goes...
Ashes By TheQuietHufflepuff

Mystery / Thriller

874 22 12
Samantha, Sam, Winchester never knew her mother. From the time she could walk, she never had a proper home. The day she, as her father put it, runs...
121 0 5
Hallie wasn't quite like her brother, but they did share some similarities. For years, she'd heard tales of the American Hunters and their reckless w...
3.9K 136 53
Good and evil, two sides of the same coin. Two brothers, two angels, two demons. A chance to fall and to rise. War is coming and it's coming fast...