璧玉之輪 | Fortuitous Jade

By baitian_exe

"HeiLi, you will be dispatched for another mission" Hearing that, Xiao Tian immediately leaped off the window... More

Character + Glossary
Chapter 1 - Prologue
Chapter 2 - A glimpse of you
Chapter 3 - Obsession
Chapter 4 - Encounter
Chapter 5 - Promises
Chapter 6 - Attraction
Chapter 7 - A Nickname?
Chapter 8 - HeiLi
Chapter 9 - I am not a Prey
Chapter 10 - It's a date!
Chapter 11 - A fleeting moment
Chapter 12 - My past
Chapter 13 - Jade Pendant
Chapter 14 - Partner
Chapter 15 - Dreams
Chapter 16 - Reunion
Chapter 17 - Storm
Chapter 18 - Rivalry
Chapter 19 - Mission Complete
Chapter 20 - This is unlike you
Vol. 2 starts now~
Chapter 21 - Point of no return
Chapter 22 - Just like the old times
Chapter 23 - Vengeance
Chapter 24 - Yearning
Chapter 25 - Turmoil
Chapter 26 - Intoxication
Chapter 27 - Identity
Chapter 29 - Crimson Shard
Chapter 30 - Investigation
Chapter 31 - Instincts
Chapter 32 - Memory
Chapter 33 - Xiao Tian
Chapter 34 - Someone Special

Chapter 28 - Fragments of the past

33 3 0
By baitian_exe

Chapter Notes:

Recap: Xiao Tian finally took off his mask in front of Bai Feng of his own volition, not knowing that the informant had forgotten what had happened during mid-autumn. This revelation immediately alerted the informant.

Knowing the identity of an assassin means death after all.

Slowly but surely, the two began to become more vulnerable with each other. As they start to become unsure about how to treat one another. They both knew it was not a good idea to get close, yet they couldn't pry away.

The battle between their logic and feelings continues.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Once the clan leader made his opening speech, murmurs began as the members hesitantly discussed how to handle the situation.

The family was mainly torn into two, one side wanted Bai Feng gone, and another side wanted to use his powers to their advantage.

The group who feared the child, didn't want him to be in the family. A mentality that a threat should be nipped in the bud before it comes to bite them in the back.

While the faction that wanted to use Bai Feng to their advantage suggested that the child should be the acting clan head as soon as possible. Whilst they could still mold him to fit their ambitions, to manipulate him like a puppet.

Unfortunately, as a whole family, they could not reach an agreement. Different sides seem to have their own motive for why they suggest each solution.

But one thing was clear, no one gave a thought to the well-being of the child.

That night, the mood for the family's dinner was tense, the small family of four ate in silence and their mother quickly rushed the children out after they finished eating.

"Kids, head to your room. We'll be there soon, I just need to talk about something with your Father."

The brothers nodded and hand in hand, they walked back to their room. Once they reached their room Bai Feng closed the door and sat down across from his brother.

"Ge.." young Bai Feng seemed anxious.

"If we remain obedient, nothing bad will come to us," comforted Qiu Cheng as he patted his brother's head gently.

While in the dining room, the atmosphere was tense until Bai Feng's Father broke the silence.

"It would be best if we abandon him," said the clan leader.

"Abandon? How could you toss away our precious son because of an accident?" his wife questioned in disbelief.

"An accident? You're lucky he didn't 'unintentionally' kill you then. With that kind of power, he's already seen as a social pariah. We're a family of medicine yet he murdered people! That's the exact opposite of what we stood for"

"He wouldn't harm us.. Besides, we can find someone to train Bai Feng to control his powers.." the woman tried to convince her husband.

"I will not risk it." the husband curtly replied.

"You can't possibly think a young child like him has malicious intent? That child.." Bai Feng's mother cried out before being interrupted.

"Silence! I did not expect you to talk back to me.. You are fortunate that I am patient with you, my wife." replied the clan leader curtly. Bai Feng's father was surprised to see his obedient, soft-spoken wife having such strong opinions this time. Her perseverance is clearly visible in her beautiful golden eyes.

After a moment of silence, the clan leader spoke again.

"He shall not be banished from the family for the time being. But I shall make arrangements for his seclusion." Bai Feng's father stood up and made his way to the children's quarters.

The two brothers soon heard hurried footsteps and the sobbing of their mother.

"You can't do this to our son, please! Let our child have a normal childhood.." Bai Feng's mom begged.

It was the first time the kids heard their mom raise her voice, she was always poise and gentle. But tonight—

Bai Feng's Father yanked his youngest son's arm and said to his wife,

"This is already proof of my love for you my dear. I hope you will behave.. Before I lose patience with you too." warned the clan leader.

The man quickly pulled Bai Feng's arm and ordered the guards to keep his wife and eldest son in the room until he was back.

"Mother? Why are you crying?" asked the gentle firstborn. But his mother just hugged her son and sobbed, unable to speak a word.

Ever since the incident, the clan head has always been strict towards Bai Feng, instilling fear and demanding complete obedience from him.

Young Bai Feng was isolated in a room separated from the main house, treated just like a caged animal.

Only after a few weeks of being locked away could Bai Feng's mother and brother visit the child.

The young boy was ecstatic to be able to see his favorite people once more. Young Bai Feng never showed a hint of sadness despite the poor treatment he received from his family. He didn't want to cause his mother and brother to worry about him even more than he already did.

Weeks turned to months until one day, Bai Feng's mother snuck him out of the house to go visit the market. Just a glimpse of freedom, if I can give it to him.. Thought the gentle woman.

"Mother, won't you get in trouble if Father found out?" the young child asked in a worried tone.

"We won't get caught, I'll just hide you away in my big sleeves if someone sees you" the beautiful woman reassured.

"I'm not that little anymore!" young Bai Feng protested.

"You're always going to be my baby" the mother cooed, patting her youngest son gently.

"If only we could go out with gege.." the young boy said with a little hint of sadness. But he quickly shook his head and grabbed a few snacks to bring home. Seeing Bai Feng carefree again, even just for a little while, was truly precious. He's supposed to be smiling and playing without worry like the other kids, but sadly she can't even see her beloved son do that.

Once the mother-son pair arrived in Bai Feng's secluded room, the lady patted her son's head, telling him to slowly enjoy his treats. But to the gentle woman's surprise, he put the snacks in his mother's hand and smiled.

"Eat these with gege, it's now his turn to have snacks with you, Mother" the young boy then urged his mom to quickly go before she gets in trouble.

Bai Feng was forced to mature quickly due to his circumstances, but he quickly realized that it was a good thing. For not long after, he would lose all his pillars of support.

On a cold winter night, Bai Feng was told to wait outside the main hall to meet the lady of the house by one of his attending servants. The young boy was excited, thinking that his days of seclusion finally ended. After all, his mother wouldn't meet him in the main hall if it wasn't the case. He didn't lose control of his powers recently, so maybe..

Little did he know, that night the manor was infiltrated by a group of rogues. A section from the clan had defected, aiming to overthrow the clan head in the midst of the chaos. Bai Feng heard a clattering and a familiar coughing sound.

"Mother!" the little boy called out as he hurriedly slid the main hall open, trying to find his mother. Unfortunately, his voice caught the attention of a hitman and they yanked the back collar of his hanfu.

"Ah ah? Where are you going little one? Sadly not even you will be spared tonight." the man lifted the child off the ground, and the sight of a blood-stained blade terrified him. But out of the shadows, a cedar-haired lady swung her dagger and sliced the rogue's arm, causing him to drop the child before screaming at the top of her lungs for their guards to come.

This caused the hitman to panic and stab the lady in the back as she was fleeing with the child in her arms. But Bai Feng's Mother never stopped running.

As panic built up inside the child's body, a blast of golden aura was released.

"Again.. Mother.. I hurt you.. I'm sorry.." young Bai Feng trembled in his mother's arms.

The blast immediately alerted the guards and they quickly blocked the rogue's path as the two made it to the hiding room.

Bai Feng's Father and his eldest son were waiting anxiously when the door of their room slid open violently. The man immediately shielded his son by reflex but was shocked when he saw his wife's hanfu stained with blood with his other child in her arms.

"You're safe now, Bai Feng." the woman spoke while caressing her son's cheeks before she toppled onto the ground.

Time seemed to stop as the two children saw their mother collapse on the ground and their stoic father panicked for the first time in his life. The head of the clan immediately switched into medic mode as he tried his best to save his dearest wife from the stab wound.

In a flurry, a caretaker took both children to a separate room. After all, she couldn't let the young boys witness such a gruesome scene. A few hours later, Bai Feng was once again sent back to his seclusion, as the whole manor was frantic trying to save the lady while keeping the manor secure.

After days of not receiving any information, Bai Feng was finally summoned to the main house. The young boy's mind was filled with worry, so he briskly walked towards his parents' chambers wanting to see his mother as soon as possible.

But his trail of thoughts halted when he slid the door open and his older brother had tears pouring down his face. The young boy couldn't understand why his brother was acting in such a way, so he called out.

"Ge? Why are you crying..?" asked the younger brother timidly.

Hearing the voice he didn't want to hear right now, the eldest son turned around and violently grabbed onto Bai Feng's hanfu.  His brother squeezed out a few words, despair apparent in his voice.

"You killed her.. Mother died because of you!" shouted the older brother as he pushed young Bai Feng to the ground before rushing out of the room.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

"Her already frail body.. Couldn't recover from the stab wound.. And—"

"Enough.. Xiao Bai.." the assassin whispered in his ears as he held the trembling man.

When Bai Feng snapped out of it, his eyes were already blurry due to his tears.

"I can't remember what happened after.. But if only.. I never went out of my room.. If only I.." the warm light in the informant's golden orbs dimmed.

"It's not your fault.." said the assassin in a hushed voice, gently brushing through Bai Feng's silky hair to soothe his pain a little.

The usually stoic man shut his eyes in an attempt to calm down,

"It's simply a memory of the past.." Bai Feng's trembling voice betrayed the strong front he attempted to show, as he quickly pushed Xiao Tian away.

"I'm.. getting too comfortable with you.. I apologize" the cedar-haired beauty added while looking away, once again creating a wall in between them.

"Xiao Bai, why are you apologizing—" then it hits the assassin that the golden-eyed beauty still doesn't trust him enough to show his more vulnerable side. So he kept his silence.

Time and time again Xiao Tian had managed to break down the walls Bai Feng created around him. Years of him keeping his distance from everyone,

Yet this cold-blooded assassin somehow managed to make his way in.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅❈⋅.━━━━ ⊰

Author's Notes:

Hope you enjoyed reading 'Fragments of the Past' <3 Votes and comments are highly appreciated!

Finally, we got a glimpse of Bai Feng's childhood! What do you think happened to the brothers after their mother's death?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 157 20
'When the memories of your past linger about.' 'Thrown off a cliff, a desired end. He who met with resurrection. Shall never be remembered, a notorio...
17.8K 549 51
The chairman to one of the renown group in the business world, who can have anyone he wanted should he said the three sacred words to them, fall in...
54.8K 2.1K 13
Why does this always happen to him?? Kang Yoojin had dived in front of a car to save a child, and had died as a result. Then he woke up to find himse...
748K 34.2K 70
"Pretty boy, surrender that body to us!" "Not even in hell!" Bai Yuan shouted as he ran away from the thugs. Suddenly, a bright light flashed before...