The Way We Burn

By daisydanielle33

The sparks are instant. A night, a look and a dozen flirty words. I think I've met my match... Until I learn... More

One: Sully
Two: Gigi
Three: Sully
Four: Gigi
Five: Sully
Seven: Sully
Eight: Gigi
Nine: Sully
Ten: Gigi
Eleven: Sully
Twelve: Gigi
Thirteen: Sully
Fourteen: Gigi
Fifteen: Sully
Sixteen: Sully
Seventeen: Gigi
Eighteen: Gigi

Six: Gigi

61 11 1
By daisydanielle33

Dad was in the hospital a total of four days before the doctors deemed him well enough to ship home. He still wasn't allowed to return to work, which I'm sure was driving him just about as crazy as the diet my mother was putting them on. It honestly made me laugh. With the way they spoke to each other, the little bites and snaps, the frustration and annoyances, any one on the outside would've thought that my parents had spent their entire marriage on the brink of divorce. But that was just them. They argued and poked and prodded each other to no end, but they loved twice as hard. My father would die for my mother, and vice versa. They could battle each other day in and day out, but the second anyone came toward one with any sign of disrespect, the other was ready to go to war. I absolutely adored the way they loved each other. It was the only type of love I wanted, that I would even accept. That be all, end all, fuck the world around us kind of love. The kind where you called each other out in private, but never in public. The kind that no matter how much they annoyed you during the day, you went to bed in each other's arms, knowing everything would be fine with the coming sun. It was my idea of perfection and it was probably too lofty, which Is why I had yet to find it.They didn't make people like my mom and dad anymore, at least none that I had found.

The one bonus, in my eyes anyway, of my father currently being stuck at home, meant that my mom stayed out of Kindling. I fucking loved that woman, but she was driving me absolutely batty with her constant cleaning, and judging, and ideas of how I should be doing things. I felt kind of guilty about it, but it was honestly nice to have her attention elsewhere.

In the midst of dealing with my father's heart attack, my mother also had her first oncologist appointment, and by the grace of whatever god was watching over us, we were told that a lumpectomy was likely to take care of it. No chemo, no radiation. The cancer was caught early enough that she would likely get away with a relatively minimal surgery considering how things could've gone. To say we were all thrilled would've been an understatement. She would still need more appointments, and her surgery had been scheduled for two weeks out, but by everything the doctors were saying, she would be absolutely fine, and that fact alone was more than I could've ever dared to ask for. Things were definitely looking up for the Castellanos family, and just in time for Christmas no less. Well, Christmas and my sister's lavish engagement party that would be taking place on the twenty-eighth, but I was trying to have as little to do with that as humanly possible.

A few days after they released my father from the hospital, I'd played the good daughter, and picked up groceries for my parents before heading to the bar. It was cold, and we'd gotten nearly a foot of snow overnight which I had begged them not to attempt to go out in. My mother had insisted she needed things from the store, so instead of letting her head out on her lonesome, I did it myself. I did not, however, anticipate what greeted me when I pulled up in their driveway.

Or who greeted me, rather.

"Well, well, well," I said with a smirk as I stepped gingerly out of my car. The driveway was scooped but I didn't need to chance hitting any ice.  "You do snow removal now? I got a huge parking lot I may need help with."

Sully stopped scooping and crammed the end of his shovel into the snow-mound next to him. His complexion was flushed from the bitter cold and his hair and ears were hidden beneath a thick, fire department beanie, but the grin he gave me said the cold wasn't phasing him a single bit. "Depends what I'm offered in return," his deep voice responded through a thick cloud of breath.

I chuckled. "Oh man, you really like to set yourself up for me to go all in, don't you?"

Sully rolled his mossy colored eyes but the smile didn't leave his chiseled face. "I should probably just shut up around you, huh?"

"Or figure out a way to shut me up," I retorted with a wink.

I turned around the back of my car as Sully shook his head , still grinning like a fool, and went back to shoveling snow. I loaded up my arms with a few of the bags and headed up the already cleaned walkway, but as I hit the top step on my parents front porch, my boot came in contact with nothing but a thick sheet of ice. In a flash, my legs flew out from underneath me, and the groceries dropped to the ground, but before my ass could join them, I felt two thick arms band around my waist.

"Jesus fuck," I gasped as my back thudded against Sully's chest. "Thought I was a goner."

I felt the warm breath of his soft chuckle just behind my ear. "You okay?"

"Nothing hurt except my pride, thanks to you," I grinned, turning to glance at him over my shoulder. Instantaneously, the air was sucked out of my lungs. Our faces were so close together. I could've counted the random specks of brown and green in his eyes, or the fine lines and freckles that softly littered his strong features. The man was absolutely immaculate. It was honestly unfair to the rest of the male species.

"Gi..." he nearly purred as his eyes moved noticeably between mine and my mouth.

"Galena! What happened?!" my mother exclaimed as she threw open the front door. "Papa saw you slip on the camera! Are you okay?"

I nearly growled as Sully's hold loosened, and I went back to my own feet. This woman really had fucking impeccable timing. "I'm fine, Mama. Steps need some ice melt or something though."

"I'll grab it out of the garage, Eleni. Don't worry." Sully gave my mother a quick nod before he scurried off to do just that.

Chicken shit, my brain mumbled as he practically tucked tail and ran.

I sighed and rolled my eyes before searching for the goods that had flown from my grasp. Despite nearly breaking my butt, luck seemed to be smiling down at least a little, because nothing in the bags I'd grabbed was damaged. I tucked the items back into the sacks and once again made my way up the front stairs, keeping my eyes where my feet were landing this time.

"He's a good man," my mother stated for about the five millionth time since Bennett Sullivan had reappeared into my life. "Very, very good."

"Yes, Ma, I know. Bennett is perfect," I groaned with a bit of an eye roll. "Tell me something I don't know."

"Very handsome too."

"Jesus, Mom," I laughed as I stepped in the front door and set down the bags. My mom stood behind me with her arms folded over her chest and a knowing smile on her face. "I'm going to get the rest of the groceries."

"Ask Sully to help you," she smiled as I headed back out.

"I got it. I'm a strong, independent woman, thank you very much."

I still chuckled and shook my head as I headed back to my car. If I didn't know any better, I would've thought my mother was attempting to set us up.

But that was if I didn't know any better. And I did...

Or at least I was pretty sure I did.

My mother being my mother somehow managed to convince both Sully and I to stay for lunch, which was a big spread because she'd obviously been planning this since the beginning. There was salad and moussaka, hot and cold drinks, roasted vegetables and even baklava for dessert. You would've thought it was a dinner she'd spent a month planning for, not a random Tuesday lunch.

While the men chatted about all things Detroit Fire, I helped my mother clear the table. She was putting the leftovers away and I started dishes, but I could feel her eyes on my back the entire time.

"Sully is a good man," she stated once again with an almost dreamy sigh.

"Yes, Mama, I know," I stated with a laugh as I turned to glance at her. "Why do you keep saying that? It's not like I don't know."

Mom shrugged one shoulder as she loaded up a to go box for the 'good man' in question. "Just making sure."

I laughed as I went back to rinsing plates and filing them in the dish washer. "And why is that something you need to be sure that I know? Your reasoning isn't exactly clear, Mother Dearest."

"I see the way you look at him."

I nearly choked on my own saliva. "I don't know what you're talking about," I just about shrieked.

Smooth, Galena. Smooth.

My mother tsked her disbelief. "I've always seen the way you looked at him, Galena. Is nothing new."

I stopped with the dishes and fully turned to face her. "What do you mean?"

"You've liked him since you were little," my mother answered as if it wasn't news. "I could tell then, just as I can tell now."

"You knew I had a crush on him?"

"Of course I knew, Galena," she retorted. "Just because we didn't talk about it, doesn't mean I didn't know. I know my girls. I know them better than they think I do."

"I never told anyone," I stated, folding my arms over my chest. "Not even Amaya. No one."

Amaya was the sister closest to my age. She was only fourteen months older than me, and we were really little, we often got mistaken for twins. We always shared a room and most of our secrets. Most.

"Sometimes you don't need words to know things, especially when you start hiding at parties once he brings a fiancé," Mama replied, glancing up at me as she dumped the extra vegetables into a plastic container. "He would be good for you, Galena."

I scoffed, this time unable to keep my voice from sounding like a wounded bird. "There... I don't know why we're talking about this," I stated as my cheeks burned furiously red. I turned to start rinsing dishes again in hopes my mom didn't catch my blushing face. "It doesn't matter. He's not interested."

"Yes he is."

I snickered. "And what makes you say that? Did you have a premonition or something?"

"The way he looks at you, Galena, just like you look at him. Anyone could see it."

"Better be careful how long we leave him alone with Dad then."

"Your dad doesn't notice. He's too oblivious. He slow at these things."

I chuckled as I shook my head. "It doesn't matter, Mama. No matter how he looks at me, he's not going to do anything about it. He won't even admit it to me."

"He's scared, Galena."

"Of what? Am I that terrifying?"

"No. He's scared of society, of your father. He'll get over it eventually. Just give him time."

"I don't even know why we're having this conversation," I stated as I absentmindedly began scrubbing a dish that didn't particularly need to be scrubbed. "Nothing's going to happen."

"You keep telling yourself that, my heart, but it will happen."

"I think you had too much wine with lunch, lady." I glanced back just to see my mother beaming as she filed containers into the refrigerator. I couldn't help the next thought that escaped from my lips. "What... what do you think Papa would say? About Sully and I? If something did happen?"

My mother closed the fridge and sighed. "I think that he would probably be upset at first. But I think that eventually he would accept it, especially if you were both happy and he treated you well. But I think it would be better for you to figure out things yourselves before Papa gets involved."

"Hypothetically, of course."

"Of course, Galena," my mother smiled.

"And you wouldn't be upset?"

"How could I be?" Mom asked with a cock of her head as if she were an innocent little pup. "All I want for any of my girls is for them to be safe and happy and loved. Who am I to decide from whom those things can come?"

I beamed as I dried off my hands, the last of the dishes rinsed and the dishwasher running. "I love you, Mama."

"I love you too, my sweet girl," my mother replied. "Don't worry. He will realize soon."

I laughed again as my mother picked up her teapot and headed back into the men. I heard my father complain about how it wasn't coffee, and Sully thank her as if it was and I couldn't help but wonder if she was right.

Maybe something could happen. Lord knew, I wanted it to, but I couldn't want it alone, and that was where the problem lay.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" I asked as Sully escorted me to my car later that afternoon. I could've pawned it off on him just going to his own vehicle, but I'd already learned he was more of a gentleman than that.

"Heading to Chicago," Sully answered with a sigh as he tugged his beanie more over his ears. "I assume you'll all be gathered here?"

"Most of us," I answered. We were walking at a very leisurely place for how cold it was. It was evident that we were both hesitant to part ways, but I knew I was the only one willing to admit that. "I think Athena and Daphne are with their husbands' families this year, but everyone will be here for Amaya's engagement party on the twenty-eighth."

"Yeah, your father mentioned that," Sully replied. "Sounds like it'll be quite the shindig."

"I'm sure you're invited..."

Sully nodded. "He mentioned that as well."

"Are you coming?" I asked, trying to disguise the hope in my voice as we stopped beside my car.

Sully sighed, a big, mighty cloud of breath swirling in the brisk air around us. "I think I'd offend too many people if I didn't," he stated with a smirk. "I go back to work the twenty-ninth, so I won't be out real late, but I'll probably swing by."

"Good. I'd like to see you in a tie," I grinned.

"Well now you're asking for too much."

A momentary silence fell between us, not saying anything, but not making any signal of leaving either. It was... oddly comfortable, for me, anyway, but I could see Sully mulling over concerns in his head.

"Do you go in tonight?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Not til eight tomorrow."

"You should come to the bar later. I probably should at least buy you a drink for helping my folks out."

Sully chuckled. "That's not necessary," he insisted, as he shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Maybe not, but I'd like to."

Sully opened his mouth to speak, but for a beat nothing came out, as if he couldn't find the words he was looking for. Finally he cleared his throat, his head bowing as he spoke. "I don't... know if that's a good idea, Snow."

"Why?" I questioned with a laugh to disguise my disappointment. "It's a drink, Cap, not a marriage proposal."

"I know. I know that," Sully stated with a hefty sigh. "I just... I think there are lines that are already blurring and we should probably keep them from blurring any more."

"So we can't even be friends?" I retorted.

"That's not what I said..."

"I mean, it kind of is if I'm not even allowed to buy you a fucking beer," I stated with a dismissive laugh. Once again silence overtook our conversation, but this time it wasn't nearly as comfortable. "I don't know what you're so scared of," I began softly, "but I promise that I don't bite. I'm not going to go out of my way to corrupt you or anything. I just... What would a drink hurt?"

Sully swallowed, his eyes looking sullen, yet firm. "I can't, Galena. I'm sorry."

I bit the inside of my cheek and nodded. "Right. Silly me." Not wanting to wait for more excuses, I turned and put the key in the door of my car, but then I decided that there was more I wanted to say. "Look, I'm done trying," I stated with a defeated shrug. "I'm not asking for a date or a kiss or anything of the sort, I'm just fucking trying to be friendly and if even that is too much for you, then... I'm done. Enjoy your life, I guess. I hope you have a great Christmas."

"Galena..."

"It's fine, Sully," I interrupted, my car door groaning in the cold as if I'd inconvenienced it. "It really is. I'm already tired of this hot and cold game and it's barely been two weeks. I'm done torturing myself, so I'll see you when I see you."

"I'm sorry,  Galena," Sully stated, his hand curving around the top of my door. "I am. I wish... I wish it could be different."

"Obviously not nearly enough," I mumbled. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight Snow," Sully responded with a nod as he pushed my door shut as I pulled it.

He waited beside my car until I started her up and then gave me a sheepish wave before he started for his truck parked on the street in front of my parents'  house. I watched for a second and then turned back around, spotting my mother watching from the glass of her front door.

I sighed and forced my car into reverse, anxious to get away from the last ten minutes of my life.

My mother was wrong. No matter how much she believed otherwise, she was wrong. And I was tired of pretending like she wasn't. I needed to let this stupid crush go, once and for all. If for nothing but my own sanity.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 186K 58
"𝑰'𝒎 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒗𝒊𝒍 𝒊𝒏 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒇 𝑰 𝒇𝒖𝒄𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒅 𝒆𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉, 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒘, 𝒕𝒐�...
1.4M 40.9K 44
Clara Bowen has had a troubled life. Her family, being very religous, has entrapped her into a life hidden from the real world. Now Clara is given th...
13.3K 303 19
She wasn't supposed to be anything more than my best friend's daughter... so why can't I stay away from her? Beautiful women come in and out of my of...
14.4K 2.3K 47
"Do you know what you're doing to me?" He leaned his head forward and buried it in her neck, inhaling deeply before peppering kisses along her stern...