TAINTED

By AmandaCowenAuthor

Rhys Wyatt is as arrogant as he is beautiful, and Ivy Bishop has been infatuated with him forever. The night... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 19

583 10 1
By AmandaCowenAuthor

RHYS

The way Ivy and I left things created a tangle of frustrations in my head. Kissing her in the lake caused a wave of possessiveness to simmer inside me. I was short and distant with her, but I felt I had no choice. I should have thanked her for not telling Blaine about what I'd done, but instead, I was furious that she chose him over me.

Pouring a glass of cold water from the tap, I leaned back against the countertop and stared miserably at the guest bedroom door. I gulped my water and wiped the sweat from my brow. I let my early morning training session with Holly dissolve all thoughts of Ivy from my mind. It didn't work. Ivy was everywhere the second I walked back into the ranch, even when she wasn't there.

"Good workout today," Holly handed me a cup for my urine sample. "You know what to do."

I rolled my eyes and took the cup from her hand. Holly pulled her red hair into a ponytail and slung her bag over her shoulder. I walked into the bathroom, pissed into the cup, washed my hands, and then found her in the foyer waiting for me.

"You're welcome," I tucked it into her bag.

She laughed. "Thanks, Rhys. Your father and Coach Fenwick are super happy with your progress. You won't miss a beat on the football field once you get back to USC. You should be proud of yourself."

"Thanks, Holly," I pulled open the front door. "Did you need a ride back into town? Or was your ride on its way?"

"My ride is waiting outside," she smiled. "See you tomorrow, Rhys."

I closed the door on her with my mind still racing. I was mad at Ivy for staying with Blaine even though I had no right to be. It was crazy and possessive, and it was sick as fuck. I could have any girl I wanted. Hell, I could be fucking Holly. Back at USC, girls would throw themselves at me. I would have my pick of any pair of tits for the night. Now, I was moping over a girl who had always been off-limits—a girl who belonged to my brother.

The doorbell rang and snapped me away from my thoughts. What did Holly forget this time? Last time, it was her cell phone. I pulled open the front door, surprised to see a delivery man holding a package filled with a bottle of champagne, a bunch of macrons and eclairs neatly packaged in some fancy cellophane container. There was even a teddy bear wearing a French beret.

What the -?

"I'm looking for a Miss Bishop," he said, looking up from his clipboard.

My fists clenched, and I fought the huge to slam the door in his face. Did Blaine actually send Ivy some bullshit French-inspired love package? It wasn't her birthday or Valentine's Day, so what the fuck was the special occasion?

"She's not home right now. She'll be back tonight." I lied.

I had to see why Blaine needed to send her an elaborate gift for no particular reason on a Sunday. "I'll sign for her. I'll make sure she gets it." I said, trying to keep my cool.

He shrugged, handed me a pen and pointed to the clipboard. "Sign here and here."

I signed both spots quickly, and he passed over the package. I mumbled goodbye to him and closed the door behind him. I walked into the kitchen, placed the tacky cellophane-wrapped basket on the countertop, and stared at it for a long while. I shouldn't open it. The card attached to it was staring back at me though. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and ripped the card off the front of the package.

Ivy,

Enjoy the macrons and eclairs from a delicious pâtisserie here in France. I wish I were there to pop open the bottle of champagne with you. Who knows, maybe someday soon, we will be lucky enough to enjoy all the brilliance of France with me ☺

P.S. I sprayed my cologne all over the teddy bear xo

B

Jealously, it slowly spread through my chest as I crumpled the card in my fist. A fire flared inside me at the sight of that stupid teddy bear and it's ugly as fuck beret. I couldn't take it anymore. I picked up the package and stormed down the hallway. I pulled open the garage door and stepped onto the oil-stained concrete floor. I didn't hesitate momentarily when I shoved the entire cellophane package into the steel garbage can on my right. I was fucking irate and had no logical reason to be. After all, she wasn't mine. Blaine hadn't done anything wrong. I was the shitty one. I was the one who kissed her and let myself feel things I shouldn't. I had no idea what was going on with me. I was being completely irrational. Nothing was making any sense. However, one thing was crystal clear to me: I needed to get out of this ranch.

I drove into town and cruised the streets, hoping my anger would slowly wither away. It wasn't working. All I could think about was that stupid package Blaine sent Ivy.

I was losing my mind.

We both made it clear where we stood or where I stood. I was an expert at pushing people away. I could have told her how I felt, but I didn't. There was no point. All odds were against us from the first time I'd ever looked at her.

I gripped the steering wheel tighter as I pulled down the main strip in downtown Moose Creek. It was tourist season, and the sidewalks were packed with people walking into shops, taking pictures, and eating on outdoor patios. I thought about how they were enjoying their summer and how I should be enjoying it - with many women rotating in and out of my bed. It was time to stop this insanity. These intense feelings for one woman were foreign to me. I didn't like it.

The light changed to red, and I came to a quick stop. I rested my elbow on the open windowsill and focused on the road ahead. The Bishop's General Store was on my left, and I tried not to pay it any attention. The sound of a trunk slamming shut caused me to turn my head. My muscles tensed when I saw Ivy in the parking lot. What the hell -? The sight of her in a pair of cut-off jean shorts and a tight white tank top made my cock stiffen, but it also made me want to cover her up with a blanket so the rest of the horny men in this town couldn't catch a glimpse of her curvy figure. Fuck she was beautiful, with her long legs, sun-kissed skin, and long blonde hair.

She was attempting to stuff a camping stove into her already full trunk. At a closer glance, I could see a tent, folding chairs and a pink duffle bag already packed in tight. Where the hell was she going? And with whom? I cringed at her attempt to force the stove into her trunk. She started thrusting the damn thing so hard; I was sure as shit she was going to break it.

For fuck sake.

When the light turned green, I hooked a left into the parking lot and pulled beside her, blocking her with my vehicle. She was so focused on getting that camping stove inside her trunk that she didn't notice me. I honked the horn, and she screamed and spun around. When she saw it was me, she scowled.

"Get lost, Rhys," her words were clipped, her tone stark. "I'm fine."

"It's not going to fit," I grinned at her flushed state.

She rolled her eyes and turned her back to me. She gave it another unsuccessful thrust and let out a throaty, frustrated growl. I smirked, held back from saying I told you so, and watched her wipe a bead of sweat from her forehead with the back of her hand. Ivy turned around, and I tensed. She frowned and rested her forearms on the side of my open windowsill.

"What do you want, Rhys?" she asked, pursing her lips together. "Last time I checked, we were done." The snarky tone in her voice made my smirk turn into a frown.

She was mocking me. I didn't like the reminder of how harsh I had been with her.

She raised an eyebrow at my lack of response. I swallowed hard and glanced down at her cleavage inches away from my face. I thanked God I was wearing my sunglasses. I cleared my throat and saw her angry green eyes watching me.

"You're going to break that camping stove if you keep it up," I said.

"Go ahead. Show me how it's done," she took a step back.

She was challenging me. I could have left it and driven away, but not only was I curious about where she was headed, but I wouldn't say I liked the thought of her going somewhere without me.

"Come on. Make yourself useful," she quipped.

I had to refrain from sucking in a breath. She looked hot as hell when she was irritated.

I opened the door and stepped onto the pavement. She put her hands on her hips and nodded toward her cluttered trunk. It was packed full of camping supplies. I wondered where she was going, and it continued to irritate me. She was supposed to return to the ranch tomorrow night. It looked like she had packed enough camping supplies for a whole month. In one successful and angry thrust, I squeezed the camping stove into the back of the trunk and slammed it shut.

I turned around and crossed my arms in front of my chest. "What's with all the supplies? Don't tell me you are headed to France." I teased.

"Where I'm headed is none of your business." She brushed a strand of hair away from her face. She acted like she didn't want me to know but wanted me to prod her further. Her attempt at putting on a face of indifference was admirable, though.

I smirked, and when I didn't give her an immediate response, she pursed her lips and glared at me. "Thanks for the help. You can leave now."

She turned her back to me, and I grabbed her wrist. "Just tell me where you're going."

I pulled her closer and spun her around. I pushed her back against the truck so she couldn't push me away or leave me. She inhaled sharply and glared up at me through her long blonde lashes.

"Rhys?" Missy's confused voice caused me to drop Ivy's wrist and quickly step back.

I looked over in her direction. She was carrying two big brown paper bags filled with groceries. She placed the bags down on the hood of the car and smirked.

"Rhys Wyatt, how nice of you to grace the town with your presence," she looked at Ivy. "I didn't know you invited him to Duke Falls."

"I didn't," Ivy hissed.

She looked annoyed, and I felt triumphant knowing her secret was out. They were headed to Duke Falls, a secluded getaway a few miles from town.

"Oh, I see," Missy shifted her eyes curiously between us.

Ivy walked around the car's hood and grabbed a grocery bag. She opened the side door, placed it on the empty seat and then slammed it hard enough to shake down the entire store.

The rumble of a diesel truck and Grayson's familiar voice yelling out a Yee-Haw as he pulled into the parking lot made me scowl.

"You gals ready to hit the road?" Charlie shouted through the open window on the passenger side. "Everyone else is already there. We're late," he paused and then glanced at me with a surprised look. "Rhys?"

"Charlie," I grumbled in acknowledgment.

Grayson leaned across the seat and shouted. "Hey, Rhys. I didn't know you were coming, too."

I shrugged. "Yeah, man, looks like I am."

I walked over to my Range Rover without glancing back at Ivy and promptly ignored the annoyed look on Charlie's face. "I'm going to grab my shit. I'll meet you guys there."

"Right on," Grayson replied.

I hopped in my truck and put the keys into the ignition. Ivy's angry eyes were burning into my backside, but I didn't care that she was pissed. There was no way I was letting her spend a night at Duke Falls without me. I didn't trust Charlie, and Blaine shouldn't trust him around Ivy either. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

387K 7.4K 49
all of his attention is on her no matter how he feels about her. He don't want to like her He don't want to want her He don't want to love her. But...
251K 10.6K 54
Mia Hill. College bound with an athletic scholarship. A go-getter with big dreams and a fully thought out plan to make sure they come true. But with...
2.5M 74.9K 78
After being cheated on by her fiancé, the last thing Lydia wants to do is room with her brother and his 2 roommates, but what happens when she has no...
4.2M 108K 55
Hoping for no distractions during her senior year of college, Ryan finds herself in a whirlwind romance following a one-night stand with the last per...