The Prey In The Dark- DDW

By bandhoez9194

Against his friends wishes, Daithi moves into a new apartment complex in Los Angeles. What he didn't know unt... More

New Home
New Friends
New School
New Opinions
New Ideas
New Doubts
New Roommate
New Realisations
New Life
Epilogue: New Endings
Information

New Protections

21 2 0
By bandhoez9194

Daithi couldn't believe it'd been a month since he'd moved here. School was hectic, but his friends kept him sane. Chrissy had gotten back to him a few days later than planned, saying the magic was so faint in his blood she'd had to make a stronger potion to detect it.

But apparently there was a psychic in his bloodline, which was why he could sense auras. Chrissy connected him with a second generation psychic named Mark who had gotten excited over Daithi's abilities.

Psychics were rare these days, and the fact that there was now only two in all of UCLA was insane. Daithi was grateful he had someone to help him, Mark promising to see what extra abilities he could hone.

Daithi had gotten hired at that store and had been working now for two weeks. He'd just gotten his first paycheck, which he immediately put half in savings. He didn't really need a job, as his mom insisted on providing, but he was an adult, he wanted to make his own way now.

Daithi was currently at work now, stocking some shelves. "Excuse me?" He heard and he turned, seeing a smallish man looking at him confused. "Can I help you?" He asked and the man nodded.

"I need help finding a specific spice, I can't find it in the spice section," he said, holding out a paper. Daithi read the ingredient and said, "This one's in the baking area, aisle 4," he said, handing it back.

The man smiled gratefully but paused, tilting his head. "I'm Lui, I haven't seen you around here before," he said and Daithi shrugged. "I've only been in LA for a month now, I'm from Ireland. I'm here for school," he said and Lui nodded.

"I'm from San Diego, what's your name?" He asked and Daithi took a second to try what Mark had taught him so far. Lui's aura was strong and powerful, he was definitely non human. But he wasn't getting anything negative from it, nor mischievous so not a fae.

"I'm Daithi," he answered finally and Lui smiled. "It's nice to meet you Daithi, can I give you my number? I'd like more friends and you seem cool," he said and Daithi nodded easily.

"Sure, I wouldn't mind," he said and Lui scribbled something on the bottom of the paper he had in his hand, giving it to Daithi. "Text me, yeah? We'll meet up, I live down the road that way with my mom," he said and Daithi nodded, looking at the 9 digits on the paper.

"Cool, I'll text you yeah?" He said, not wanting to tell a stranger where he lived. He didn't know why Lui told him.
Lui nodded and left, heading to aisle 4.

Daithi returned to work, having only an hour left of his shift. Once he was done stocking, he did some cleaning before going to clock out.

He headed out, texting Tyler back. They talked nearly everyday, and Daithi looked forward to every single exchange. He and Tyler just clicked, he didn't know how to explain it.

Sure, they bickered a lot. Usually about the most stupidest of shit, but Daithi enjoyed the arguments. Was it insane? Probably, but considering either halfway through or near the end of each argument they'd start laughing, he was certain Tyler enjoyed them too.

"Daithi!" He heard and looked up to see Evan running up. "Hey! You just get off?" He asked and Daithi nodded, putting his phone away.

"Sweet, want to come with me? I need to get some things for my music project and another music person would help," Evan asked and Daithi made a face.

"Fuck, I forgot about that. For music comp right? Yeah, I need to pick up some sheet music," he said and Evan grinned, the two heading down the street.

"So you doing guitar?" Evan asked and Daithi nodded. "It's my best instrument. I considered piano, but I think almost everyone's doing that," he said and Evan nodded.

"You making a remix?" Daithi asked, knowing Evan liked the techno stuff. "Yeah, I've been writing the song now for like 2 weeks now, and I'm struggling a bit. Thankfully the project isn't due till the end of the semester, I've got a few months," he said and Daithi nodded in agreement.

They reached the music store and headed to the shelves they needed. Daithi picked out a few pages of blank music sheets, humming quietly to himself. Evan had wandered over to the pens and paper, muttering under his breath as he considered everything.

Daithi went ahead and also picked himself up some new guitar pics, the one he had wearing out. He then and went and paid, standing by the counter to wait for Evan.

The druid finally finished and paid, nodding easily to the woman behind the desk. "Right, I think I've got everything. I need to find someone to sing my song too when I'm done," he mused and Daithi raised an eyebrow.

"Jon?" He asked and Evan shook his head. "He's got a great voice, but unless you have mind protectors he will draw you in, and he hates the manipulation part of his abilities. He spent two years away from me to learn how to control it, and I've only ever seen him use it once in the last 6 years I've known him," he said quietly and Daithi's eyes widened.

"Okay, do any of our other friends have decent singing voices?" He asked and Evan tilted his head, considering.

"Anthony's great, but he's high half the time and I don't think he'd be able to focus. Brian's really good, but he also hates singing in front of an audience. I only know he can sing cause he sings in the shower all the time and he's not quiet about it. Marcel has a great voice, but it might be too soft for what I'm thinking of," he mused aloud, Daithi knowing he wasn't fully talking to him.

"Oh wait, you? You sing, I've heard it before. Would you consider?" Evan asked suddenly as they left the building. "Me? Whyd you want me?" Daithi asked surprised and Evan shrugged.

"I've heard you sing, you're good. And you play guitar, it could really work," he asked enthusiastically and Daithi chuckled as he shook his head.

"Just let me know if you want to try, I'll give it a shot," he said amused and Evan cheered, jumping in place. Daithi laughed, shaking his head again as he felt his phone buzz.

He opened his messages, finding a message from Brian. "They're meeting at Chrissy's and Scotty's place, she said she's got the amulet I need," he told Evan who just nodded.

"The mind protection one? That's good, that'll make Jon, Smiity and John feel better. Especially the faeries, Smiity doesn't have full control of his abilities yet and he hates accidentally pulling people in. Then let's go, don't want to keep the bi- I mean witch waiting," he said with a wink and Daithi laughed, rolling his eyes.

They hurried on down the road, but Daithi felt eyes on him and stopped moving, Evan pausing next to him confused. Daithi turned and saw Tyler hurrying up the road, making Daithi and Evan glance at each other confused.

"What are you doing here?" Evan asked curiously and Tyler just shrugged, slowing to a stop beside them. A loud crash distracted them, turning to see a large dresser in pieces just a few feet ahead of them.

Evan and Daithi gasped, looking up to see a couple workers staring wide eyed at the mess below then. Evan looked at Tyler with knowing eyes, Tyler gritting his teeth as he stuck his hands in his pockets.

"Holy fuck that would have killed us," Daithi breathed, not noticing Evan's and Tyler's exchange. "I swear, you never pay attention," Tyler sighed, not saying anything else.

Daithi stuck his tongue out at him, Tyler grinning wryly. "We're headed to see Scotty and Chrissy, they've got the amulet for me," Daithi said and Tyler nodded. "I'll come with, I want to talk to Chrissy anyway," he said and Daithi nodded cheerfully, turning and heading back down the road.

Evan shot Tyler a look, the taller man pursing his lips as he just gave him a pointed glare. "When are you going to tell him?" Evan hissed quietly, Tyler looking at Daithi ahead of them.

"I don't want him to know, I care about him too much," Tyler finally admitted, Evan's eyes widening. Tyler didn't say anything else and just picked up his pace to walk beside Daithi.

The human just smiled brightly at him, chattering about his day at work. Evan watched them a moment, worried about everything. This wasn't going to end well, he could feel it.

~~~~~~

"Hey bi- I mean witch," Evan greeted Chrissy who just rolled her eyes. Daithi laughed, knowing this was Evan's usual greeting to Chrissy.

"Hey Daithi, Tyler," she greeted, ignoring Evan who just placed a mock offended hand over his heart. "Hey Chrissy," Daithi said warmly, giving her a side hug.

"So I've got the amulet, and I can change the form of it once so once you get a look at it let me know what shape you want the pendant and how big," she said, moving to pick up a box.

Daithi took it and opened it, seeing the plain brown circle with a cross in the middle. He could feel the aura coming off it, strong, ancient and intoxicating. He remembered Mark's lessons and mentally closed off the reading, the power receding but not disappearing. The magic in the pendant was strong.

"Do you want to change it?" Chrissy asked and Daithi nodded. "Can you just make it smaller, and instead of a cross engraving, make it an actual cross? About the size of a penny," he asked and she nodded, taking the box back.

She took the necklace out and held it in her hand, whispering lightly under her breath. Daithi couldn't make out any words, but he felt the flair of power around Chrissy and swallowed.

She opened her palm and held it out, the pendant now twisted to look like a vined branch the shape of a cross. Daithi took it and slipped the cord over his head, the cross hanging just below his collarbone.

He felt something coat his inner thoughts and blinked, shaking his head. "Yeah, it takes a moment to get used to, especially for someone who's unknowingly been reaching out with mental waves. Pull your ability in," Tyler recommended and Daithi closed his eyes, building up his mental walls.

The peculiar feeling faded and he sighed in relief, looking at his friends gratefully. "Thank you, for this," he said, touching the pendant. "You're our friend now, we want you protected yeah?" Jon said cheerfully and Daithi smiled faintly at him.

A knock came at the door and Chrissy went to answer, smiling brightly at Anthony. "Hey guys! Daithi, there's someone knocking on all the apartments looking for you," he greeted, Daithi frowning confused.

"I told him to wait at mine, I didn't know if you knew him, he's kinda short, speaks like you," Anthony explained and Daithi's eyes widened.

"Séan's here?" He exclaimed, rushing out the door with his friends following. Sure enough, Séan stood awkwardly in the hallway, looking around curiously.

"Séan?" Daithi called, the man turning and brightening up. "Daithi!" He cheered, rushing forward to give Daithi a hug. "Dude, why are you knocking on my neighbors doors?" Daithi asked exasperated. "I told you my unit number."

"I couldn't remember it, I just knew it had a two in it," Séan replied sheepishly, Daithi rolling his eyes.

Daithi felt eyes on his back and said, "Oh! Séan, these are my friends. Tyler, Brock, Brian, Jon, Evan and Chrissy. You knocked on Anthony's door. Guys, this is Séan!"

Tyler met his eyes, a hint of concern in them. Daithi just gave a slightly forced smile, Séan waving at the group.

His eyes trailed them, eyes widening slightly at the pointed ears of Evan, Brian's slitted eyes, and Tyler in general. "Oh you guys are all m- uh, non humans," Séan whispered, Tyler raising an eyebrow.

"We are, yes," Evan said calmly, Brian gaining a mischievous smile. Daithi gave him a look, Brock nudging him with an eye roll. Brian pouted, making Daithi laugh.

"Don't worry Séan, they're good guys. Come on, you have bags? You can drop them off at my place," he said with very faintly forced cheer. Séan nodded, keeping his eyes on the group.

"We'll see you later Daithi, okay?" Chrissy said pointedly, knowing Séan was extremely on edge. "Alright guys, and thank you again Chrissy," Daithi said, the witch smiling faintly as she left.

Brock nudged Daithi amused, taking Brian's hand and heading away. Jon and Evan waved and walked away, Anthony turning into a cat and prowling past Daithi into his apartment.

Tyler stayed though, his eyes on Daithi. "I'm okay Tyler, I'll see you later yeah?" Daithi said softly and Tyler clenched his jaw but nodded. He touched Daithi's arm lightly with a gloved hand, pulling away and vanishing with a faint shimmer of shadow.

Séan let out a huff, Daithi giving him a look. "Dude, how can you be here like that? They're all mon-" he started but Daithi cut him off with a flat, "If you call them monsters, you might as well go home."

Séan's mouth snapped shut, sheepish guilt in his gaze. "Go get your bags, I'll bring you to my apartment," Daithi said, Séan nodding as he rushed away.

"Hey Daithi," he heard behind him and he turned to see Marcel and Kris walking up the hall to him. "Hey guys, how's it been?" Daithi greeted, smiling faintly at them.

"Busy busy, we've got to go to work now. They're calling us in for overtime," Marcel said with an eyeroll and Daithi grinned. "Gotta make money if you want that castle," he teased and Marcel made a face at him.

"We're going to find something to eat first, so we'll see you around?" Kris asked and Daithi nodded easily. "Have fun, be safe," he said and they smiled as they nodded.

Just as Séan returned with a suitcase and bag, the two sprinted off, vanishing in seconds. Séan gasped, dropping his bag at the rush of wind flying by him.

"Ready?" Daithi asked, ignoring the look on his face. "Those two were, they're-" Séan whispered and Daithi sighed frustrated. "Yes, they're vampires, they live across the hall from me. Kris is a nurse and Marcel works at the blood donation center," he said flatly and Séan's eyes widened.

"They trust them there?" He asked shocked and Daithi glared at him. "They've never taken a human life, Séan. Now are you coming or not?" He demanded and Séan nodded, picking up his bag and hurrying after Daithi's angry form.

Once they were inside his apartment, Daithi turned to face Séan. "Ground rules. Don't insult my friends, understand? Calling them monsters is cruel. Brock is one of the sweetest people I know and is studying to protect and educate children, Evan and Jon make incredible music, Chrissy is working on cures for human diseases, Scotty is in medical school, Brian wants to act and Tyler, Tyler is amazing. He's saved my life, he makes sure I'm okay, he hangs out with me at school, he's so fucking protective and- um. He's just great, okay? Leave them alone, they're no different than you or me," he demanded, arms crossed.

"I'm not asking you to interact with them, but be polite. Don't ask stupid questions, don't ask about what they are, don't ask them to show you anything supernatural," he continued, Séan looking guilty.

"Okay okay, I'm sorry. It's a really bad habit to immediately distrust m- non humans. I'm working on it, I am," he said quietly and Daithi sighed. "That's all I ask. Have you had dinner?" He changed the subject and Séan shook his head.

"Okay then, I need to change out of my uniform and let's go find someplace to eat," he said tiredly, moving to his room. He changed quickly, a piece of paper falling from his pocket. He suddenly remembered that man from the store, Lui?

He slipped the number back into his pocket and went to find Séan. "How long are you staying?" He asked and Séan shrugged. "Just until Monday," he said and Daithi nodded. It was Thursday, so a few days wouldn't be too bad.

"I missed you, you know?" Daithi said with a grin, nudging his longest friend. Séan smiled back, putting his arm around his shoulders. "I missed you too buddy. Now where are we going?" He asked and Daithi said, "Evan and Jon showed me this really good Cafe when I first moved here, I've been a few times. The landlords wife works there, she's the coolest lady ever."

Séan nodded in agreement, following Daithi out the door. "We're walking by the way, it's only a couple blocks down," he said and Séan let out a long suffering sigh.

Daithi rolled his eyes at his friends dramatics and just kept walking, hearing his footsteps hurry after him. He'd been in such a good mood earlier, and he loved Séan, he did. He was his brother in all but blood, but seeing the fear in his eyes when he looked at the people Daithi had grown to care for hurt.

Especially when he looked at Tyler. As if he was something deadly, something to be wary about. Sure, Tyler had an intimidating stance, he was tall and muscular. He had a permanent bitch face, those blue eyes icy and reserved.

But Daithi had known him over a month now. He'd had dinner with him, he'd sat on the couch next to him and yelled at the TV as they played Mario Kart. Tyler had fallen asleep on his couch before, and his face had softened into such a relaxed expression, Daithi had felt warm.

Tyler was important to him now, and Séan's revulsion towards him made him feel pained. As if he'd been spat on by someone he cared for.

Daithi didn't know what to do these days. He couldn't lose Séan, but he didn't want to subject his friends to the prejudice in their own homes. In their safe place.

He sighed mentally, stress settling in his stomach. Séan was only here for 4 days, he could play peacekeeper. He could play protector. Protector for his non human friends, because he knew they'd never hurt Séan.

But he didn't know what Séan would do.

That's long enough yeah? I didn't plan on having Séan show up, but he did lol. He won't be around long, like I said, maybe one more chapter then he'll go home. Anyway, I hope yall enjoyed! Kisses!!

~Banana

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

398 0 21
Amanda is begin abused by her father, because he blames her for her mother's death, and that she was a mistake. Amanda tried everything to kill herse...
2.8K 146 23
While the BBS gang is out on a mission, an accident occurs. Jonathan doesn't make it out alive. A year later, Evan still suffers the pain and the he...
59 3 3
4th part to my Poly!BBS series the little family's first Christmas together in their new home mentions of lb/dd little!Brock little!Jonathan switch...
63.7K 2.6K 21
Born in the streets of Los Santos and growing up alongside her father, a ruthless gang leader, Alice knew everything about surviving. That was until...